Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TK-42-1 posted:

I make my wife dress up like Wedge and say "Look at the size of that thing" when I get my baby dick out.

Weird, I do the same thing with your wife too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Alan Smithee posted:

Well they did say it was one in a million

Real talk my main complaint with Rey is that her progression is a little too fast on the Jedi powers. I mean what left is there for her to learn. Granted she hasn't been in a dogfight so maybe they are just reversing the order

This was pretty much my only real gripe with TFA. We really could have done without the mind trick and her force grabbing the lightsabre. She could have somehow picked the lock instead and jumped a guard, and instead of snatching the lightsabre out of mid air, she could have just picked it up or something. It would have also killed two birds with one stone if Kylo tried to force grab the sabre, but was too weak, which would have made it more clear that the hit he took from the bowcaster really did some damage, and that's why Rey and Finn were able to beat him.

But, JJ wanted to make sure that he got to showcase every single Jedi power out there in the span of 15 minutes.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Would you say that her power acquisition rate was more or less believable than the entire concept of a planet turned into a super weapon that sucks up suns

I guess people just really want to see the fortieth rendition of a Jedi training montage

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I mean, Luke is able to use the Force as a missile targeting computer after a single swordsmanship lesson and then uses telekinesis with no teacher.

Rey's basically lived her life reading Harry Potter books and suddenly Hagrid shows up and says "Yeah all that stuff is real." Then she's given Harry's wand, and gets captured by Neo-Voldemort. It's not really a shock she'd try a spell she read about as a desperation move.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Paineopticon posted:

Would you say that her power acquisition rate was more or less believable than the entire concept of a planet turned into a super weapon that sucks up suns

I guess people just really want to see the fortieth rendition of a Jedi training montage

People who get really upset if their fantasy technology being unbelievable are a special brand of film critic.

Personally, I think Rey should have progressed slower, they should have given us at least two minutes of backstory on the First Order and where the galaxy stands control wise, and the Starkiller Base should have hung around for more than a single movie, being a looming threat instead of a cheap climax for the first film.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Is there another special brand of film critic who gets upset when their fantasy magic system is unbelievable? I guess what I'm asking is, why is this the part of the movie that strains credulity for you

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Now that I think about it, Ahsoka mind tricks a dude in Clone Wars at least once (ok, twice because she fucks up and the dude takes a literal interpretation of what she said).

So Rey is basically still only doing padawan-level Jedi 101 poo poo.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hey star warsers, i just saw the new movie and am wondering, is the bit where that pilot dude comes back and everyone is like 'well, ok!' just bad filmmaking, or is it a tie-in with some other product where they explain what happened (this is also bad filmmaking), or something else? because i was expecting him to actually be secretly evil or luke in disguise or something because otherwise it's just dumb

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Paineopticon posted:

Is there another special brand of film critic who gets upset when their fantasy magic system is unbelievable? I guess what I'm asking is, why is this the part of the movie that strains credulity for you

I'm looking at it from more of a story-telling point of view. JJ wanted to pack everything Star Wars into one single movie (because he was only going to direct one), so we get a really compressed story, instead of one that develops at a more natural rate. The second movie could have had Rey discover more of her abilities (she found Luke after all), rather than her going from 0-11 in a day or two. I think it would have served the story better if Rey had resisted Kylo's mind probe, and was just very naturally gifted at a lot of things. The resistance to Kylo and the vision from the lightsabre would have been more than enough to let everyone know, "holy crap, she's a Jedi!".

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Ah gotcha. While I disagree (and I think she'll have problems with control necessitating training anyway) I can see where that's coming from.

Seriousposting over, who wants to gently caress a space weasel with me

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Paineopticon posted:

Ah gotcha. While I disagree (and I think she'll have problems with control necessitating training anyway) I can see where that's coming from.

Seriousposting over, who wants to gently caress a space weasel with me

Sorry, I'm allergic to their fur and they're allergic to my personality.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mozi posted:

hey star warsers, i just saw the new movie and am wondering, is the bit where that pilot dude comes back and everyone is like 'well, ok!' just bad filmmaking, or is it a tie-in with some other product where they explain what happened (this is also bad filmmaking), or something else? because i was expecting him to actually be secretly evil or luke in disguise or something because otherwise it's just dumb

He was actually supposed to die earlier in the movie, everyone decided he was awesome so they rewrote it so he survived.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
:\ i thought he might have been a clone who somehow did a brain swap or a force illusion or something. come on george!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Blistex posted:

instead of snatching the lightsabre out of mid air, she could have just picked it up or something.

please tell me you are joking

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hmm, this lady of the lake business is a bit far fetch... maybe king arthur should trip over his new sword while going for jog?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PBS Newshour posted:

please tell me you are joking

It was a big "wow moment" for the audience, but at that point I saw if coming a mile away and wasn't surprised. Personally I would have preferred if the light sabre was laying next to Finn, Kyle tries to retrieve it using the force, but it doesn't happen (a combination of him being wounded and Rey subconsciously blocking him?) and she picks it up and fights Kylo. I can totally see why JJ wanted her to do that, as it was a mini-climax to the film, but personally I would like things to be spread out more through this trilogy instead of trying to cram every possible thing into every movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
"I don't want Rey to have a true hero moment because my autism demands steady progression"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Blistex posted:

It was a big "wow moment" for the audience, but at that point I saw if coming a mile away and wasn't surprised. Personally I would have preferred if the light sabre was laying next to Finn, Kyle tries to retrieve it using the force, but it doesn't happen (a combination of him being wounded and Rey subconsciously blocking him?) and she picks it up and fights Kylo. I can totally see why JJ wanted her to do that, as it was a mini-climax to the film, but personally I would like things to be spread out more through this trilogy instead of trying to cram every possible thing into every movie.

everyone saw it coming you dumb idiot

movie aint about surprise and only surprise

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am very angry that people keep acting like movies are logic puzzles and not a VISUAL ARTISTIC LANGUAGE

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i knew it was a bad guy because his sword was red

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PBS Newshour posted:

i am very angry that people keep acting like movies are logic puzzles and not a VISUAL ARTISTIC LANGUAGE

Yes, I'm the one who is angry.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Blistex posted:

Yes, I'm the one who is angry.

no i am, i just said i am the angry one you idiot

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
If I were a sith I would use the old "force push" on the enemy's lightsaber button when I was in mid-swing so their saber would go off and I could cut them in half. I would be Darth Cheaticus.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
no wonder you can't understand a movie for children your reading comprehension is poo poo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mozi posted:

i knew it was a bad guy because his sword was red

I want a Star Wars where everyone fights the evil dude with the red lightsaber and there's all these stories about how brutal he is and the twist is he's a good Jedi who's red-green colorblind and thought he had a green blade and has no idea why he keeps getting attacked by all these Sith puppets.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PBS Newshour posted:

no wonder you can't understand a movie for children your reading comprehension is poo poo

I just assumed you didn't know how to use quotations.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I want a Star Wars where everyone fights the evil dude with the red lightsaber and there's all these stories about how brutal he is and the twist is he's a good Jedi who's red-green colorblind and thought he had a green blade and has no idea why he keeps getting attacked by all these Sith puppets.

Would legit watch this.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Cthulu Carl posted:

If he were some kind of dog alien, he could sense them by smell. But as Darth Cheaticus, I would wear Jedi-brand cologne.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

phasmid posted:

If he were some kind of dog alien, he could sense them by smell. But as Darth Cheaticus, I would wear Jedi-brand cologne.

Your Lightsabre should make a vacuum cleaner sound when you swing it.

:lol: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Canine_sentient_species (17 different sentient canine species)

Blistex fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 2, 2016

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Blistex posted:

Your Lightsabre should make a vacuum cleaner sound when you swing it.

:lol: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Canine_sentient_species (17 different sentient canine species)

So...dogs have more planets than black people?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

phasmid posted:

So...dogs have more planets than black people?

To be fair, the space blacks and space Brazilians probably originally colonized those worlds but roving bands of feral space dogs took them over.

Are there any space Brazilians?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

phasmid posted:

If I were a sith I would use the old "force push" on the enemy's lightsaber button when I was in mid-swing so their saber would go off and I could cut them in half. I would be Darth Cheaticus.

There is 100% a reason the EU has established why this won't work

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

theflyingexecutive posted:

There is 100% a reason the EU has established why this won't work

I think it's in the Wookipedia article on "Breasts".

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blistex posted:

People who get really upset if their fantasy technology being unbelievable are a special brand of film critic.

Personally, I think Rey should have progressed slower, they should have given us at least two minutes of backstory on the First Order and where the galaxy stands control wise, and the Starkiller Base should have hung around for more than a single movie, being a looming threat instead of a cheap climax for the first film.

that stupid base was jsut an example of ridiculous power creep and the fact that every single star wars needs to have a death star is just lame and insanely derivative. though you could say that about the whole movie

also all the bad guys were way too young to take seriously. and all the slightly altered stormtrooper costumes and spaceships were lame and made the whole thing look more like a cheap ripoff

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mange Mite posted:

that stupid base was jsut an example of ridiculous power creep and the fact that every single star wars needs to have a death star is just lame and insanely derivative. though you could say that about the whole movie

also all the bad guys were way too young to take seriously. and all the slightly altered stormtrooper costumes and spaceships were lame and made the whole thing look more like a cheap ripoff

I'm mad that things progressed in aesthetic over the course of 30 years!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mange Mite posted:

I went into it expecting it to be a straight up remake of ANH (given what JJ did with the two Trek movies), and while the base was a bit of a cop out, it's not something that annoyed me too much. But now that you mention it, the technology differences were sort of weird. If you're the empire, and you just got defeated, and your resources are more limited than they were before, are you really going to start messing with your production lines and slow down fighter and starship production? Or are you going to use what worked before? But then again this is a movie, and they want to give the audience something new, and they want to open up a new line of toys. . . so yeah.

Eh, "Forget it Mange, it's Star Wars town".

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TK-42-1 posted:

I'm mad that things progressed in aesthetic over the course of 30 years!

they haven't progressed at all though they're just slightly altered so they can sell new toys but without taking any sort of creative risks by making something new. which honestly describes teh whole movie

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blistex posted:

I went into it expecting it to be a straight up remake of ANH (given what JJ did with the two Trek movies), and while the base was a bit of a cop out, it's not something that annoyed me too much. But now that you mention it, the technology differences were sort of weird. If you're the empire, and you just got defeated, and your resources are more limited than they were before, are you really going to start messing with your production lines and slow down fighter and starship production? Or are you going to use what worked before? But then again this is a movie, and they want to give the audience something new, and they want to open up a new line of toys. . . so yeah.

Eh, "Forget it Mange, it's Star Wars town".

It's been 20 years, I think that's long enough to give the TIEs a new paint job and to design some new armor.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's been 20 years, I think that's long enough to give the TIEs a new paint job and to design some new armor.

But the new armor looks like a lamer, melty version of the old armor. im not talking in-universe justifications I'm saying that the new designs aren't just derivative but also look worse than the originals. they look like poorly made chinese knock-off props

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Blistex posted:

I think it's in the Wookipedia article on "Breasts".

Since everything in wookipedia is written in the past tense, it makes the article a sad tribute to a much better time in the universe. :( I still laugh at one of the examples being a tree with breasts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Did crying mountain have some grand tetons?

• Locked thread