Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Was going to post basically this.

We use Visual Studio Code and a beauty plugin which fixes all whitespace issues.

If you're using 2 space indentation that would be 4 indentations. Or she was just doing it to test what she heard.

Also what the hell is the curly braces argument? The type of braces you're using depends on the language you're coding in. They're not interchangeable like tabs and spaces.

code:
void SomePeopleCode() {
    LikeThis;
}

void OtherPeoplePrefer()
{
    ThisInstead;
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Boris Galerkin posted:

code:
void SomePeopleCode() {
    LikeThis;
}

void OtherPeoplePrefer()
{
    ThisInstead;
}

camelCase you fucker

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

So how long until we get a character or storyline based on Elizabeth Holmes?

Forever, I'd guess, because the show has already been under a ton of fire for basically accurately representing the gender ratio of the tech industry and some of its lovely attitudes about women.

If they introduce a billionaire female CEO who is a total fraud, the actors won't be able to leave their houses for three years.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bachman feels like kind of a disappointing character this season, at least to me. He still has a lot of good one-liners ("Way to use your dick, Jared!" got a big laugh from me), but he's devolved from a charming rear end in a top hat to just an rear end in a top hat. Him bleeding Bighead's $20 million dry really drove that point home.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

squidgee posted:

Yes, he is. Mark Cuban literally got rich putting radio on the internet, and has been selling all sorts of ridiculous three comma swag since before Silicon Valley was on air.

Like many things on this show, they didn't even have to change reality for it to be funny.

You left out the best part: Mark Cuban actually is a part owner of a tequila company and played himself on Entourage to help promote the brand. No clue if the tequila is any good, though.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
He also is involved with the Swash brand of bidets. Now there's a smart move, aiming for #1 in the #2 business

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

TheBlackVegetable posted:

A good coder should be able to read and modify code whatever style it's in.
Within reason.

Inkspot posted:

Martin Starr is the MVP of this show.
Let's not forget which guy fucks, people.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

camelCase you fucker
That is camel case
:goonsay:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm morbidly curious what technique Jared uses to convince women to have sex with him.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

camelCase you fucker

CamelCase can start with either an upper or lower, though camelCase is more common than CamelCase.

At least it's not Hungarian Notation. I'll burn a fucker if I see another iCounter or strFirstName.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Y-Hat posted:

I'm morbidly curious what technique Jared uses to convince women to have sex with him.

He's non-threatening, calm, collected, intelligent, a good listener (and conversationalist), and maintains eye contact. It's also an entertainingly useful plot point for a television show that he *FUCKS*.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Jared seemed pretty up on the PUA lingo re: "negging", hmmmm.

That was such a great callback joke, just killer.

I got introduced to this show a week ago and binged the gently caress out of it (I work in hardware engineering, the box stuff was especially great)

Also just set your text editor to convert tabs to spaces so you use the tab key and get 4 spaces. I originally got into using spaces just because I would have to open up code using other people's editors and they'd have their tab widths set all sort of loving nonsense like 8 character width so just using spaces kept it consistent.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I kind of wonder about the girls Jared brings home though, considering he's bringing them to a cot in the garage, and he tried to force the only other two women he knew to be friends just because they were women.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
RE: Tabs v Spaces
https://ukupat.github.io/tabs-or-spaces/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Goddamit. Don't bring back that roaring tire fire again.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

sticklefifer posted:

I kind of wonder about the girls Jared brings home though, considering he's bringing them to a cot in the garage, and he tried to force the only other two women he knew to be friends just because they were women.

I wonder if Jared is some kind of lost boy from a Mormon polygamy cult.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

John Big Booty posted:

Let's not forget which guy fucks, people.

Yeah, Gilfoyle. His gf is the AT&T hottie, remember.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FetusSlapper posted:

I wonder if Jared is some kind of lost boy from a Mormon polygamy cult.

His dad is in a militia in the Ozarks.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Mandingo posted:

Yeah, Gilfoyle. His gf is the AT&T hottie, remember.

That's crazy. I didn't recognize her out of her AT&T getup.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
One reason a consistent whitespace strategy among teams is important is because depending on the code review process* you're using, if the text editor you're using reformats all the whitespace to be different than what's already in the repository, then it can look like every line in the file has changed and needs to be reviewed. Github has some workarounds but I think it's okay to be somewhat anal on this (not to your girlfriend, clearly).

* I realize many of you are probably saying "code review! Hah! Spoiled unicorn bullshit", and I am shaking my head softly...

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
whoaaaa interesting

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tim Raines IRL posted:

One reason a consistent whitespace strategy among teams is important is because depending on the code review process* you're using, if the text editor you're using reformats all the whitespace to be different than what's already in the repository, then it can look like every line in the file has changed and needs to be reviewed. Github has some workarounds but I think it's okay to be somewhat anal on this (not to your girlfriend, clearly).

* I realize many of you are probably saying "code review! Hah! Spoiled unicorn bullshit", and I am shaking my head softly...

But the code looks different when other people open it, I can't have that!

quote:

I would have to open up code using other people's editors and they'd have their tab widths set all sort of loving nonsense like 8 character width so just using spaces kept it consistent.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mods please close the thread until the next episode comes out, and we all need to pray that the next episode doesn't say anything about spaces or tabs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You aren't being forced to read the thread.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How do you know that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you're being forced to read the thread against your will, use four spaces. If not, use a tab.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

If you're being forced to read the thread against your will, use four spaces. If not, use a tab.

How can I tell the difference? It all looks the same, after I compile the post.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

How can I tell the difference? It all looks the same, after I compile the post.

You can tell when I make an angry post about it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Tabs work fine for me.

Edit: ha! The forum software makes it look like I spaced sensibly in the line above, but I did not! And when I hit Edit, my tabs are back!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Real computer geeks just use alt+0127

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

THERE ARE FOUR SPACES

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

tarlibone posted:

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Tabs work fine for me.

Edit: ha! The forum software makes it look like I spaced sensibly in the line above, but I did not! And when I hit Edit, my tabs are back!

HTML ignores tabs and treats them as spaces usually. You have to use code tags in order for your tabs to show up.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Imagine four spaces on the edge of a cliff...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Konsek posted:

Imagine four spaces on the edge of a cliff...

:perfect:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This show is great when it's engineers ribbing each other and arguing about code.

It's really bad when it's Richard highjinks like slamming his nose on the desk or tripping over a wire at a mom-joke. More Gilfoyle, less Richard and Big Head.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

kiimo posted:

less Big Head.

Heresy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This show is basically The Big Bang Theory for people that wanna pretend they don't like The Big Bang Theory.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

This show is basically The Big Bang Theory for people that wanna pretend they don't like The Big Bang Theory.
With this post in mind, should I use my thread creator privileges and close this thread until Sunday? I'm personally leaning towards "abso-goddamn-lutely" because I can't possibly imagine things getting any better from here to the next episode.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 3, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Please do.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Do it! Don't let your dreams be dreams!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
It was my favorite ep of the season , specially all the Jared sex poo poo though gilfoyle is the best and his geek squad bit killed me last episode.
The endings are usually tight but bigheads line was perfect.

• Locked thread