Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

Part of this I think is that the gun rights movement has so firmly won at least as far as our political leaders are concerned that people just don't want to process the horror of reality and not think about these things. The impression is that there really is nothing to do because politicians will never go against the gun lobby and if a school of dead kids can't force their hand then what possibly can?

At least we're immune to terrorism now. I guess until it is a non-white guy doing the massacres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Having SCOTUS in our corner for the first time since I was playing with He-Man toys is going to be amazing. Just imagining the sour look that Roberts will get on his face every time he's getting crushed by a 6-3 decision on his own court is making me smile.

To be honest, I think he'd be perfectly fine with being in the minority because it removes the political complication for him. he's very concerned about his legacy, and what better legacy could he have than being a dissenter against the evils of leftism as opposed to the dude who saved Obamacare three times.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

they're on the verge of losing SCOTUS for a generation.

I've been trying to come up with a reason this isn't, by far, the most consequential outcome of this election and I can't do it. It has made me apathetic about the Dem primary and completely comfortable with a Clinton Presidency. So what if she's hawkish and centrist for 4-8 years? The court will be left of center for the bulk of the rest of my life. That's a huge win in my mind.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't get why folk are pushing this whole trans poo poo. Don't they understand that most Americans don't give a poo poo at best? It just doesn't win any votes, and completely baffles my mind as to why any politician would do something that loses votes.

Because it's no longer politically acceptable throughout the country to hate and fear gay people, so trans people are the feat and hate mongering of the day.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jasmine Richards, a Black Lives Matter activist, is convicted of felony "lynching "

http://www.pasadenanow.com/main/black-lives-matter-pasadena-organizer-convicted-of-felony-lynching-charge/#.V1BljJErKUk

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Just when you think the State Dept. couldn't do more stupid poo poo, they end up proving you wrong:

quote:

The State Department announced Wednesday that an investigation had determined that a portion of a 2013 press briefing had been deleted by a member of its staff, and not a “glitch” as they originally claimed.

Back in December 2013, then-spokeswoman Jen Psaki strongly implied in an answer to a question from Fox News’ James Rosen that State Department policy was to lie to reporters if it meant maintaining secret diplomatic negotiations. But when Rosen went back to grab that clip last month, he noticed that the exchange had been deleted from the briefing video on the State Department website and YouTube.

State Department spokesman John Kirby said that after Rosen pointed out the omission, he requested that State Department lawyers look into the matter. “They learned that a specific request was made to excise that portion of the briefing. We do not know who made the request to edit the video, or why it was made,” he announced.

Other than that, Kirby could provide little other details, despite prodding and questions from the reporters present. The request was made over the phone on the same day of the briefing, he said, but the person who made the edit could not recall who requested it. Kirby said he was not aware of any other instance were briefing videos were edited, but could not promise it hadn’t happened before.

He also announced a new policy, in which every which every video would be posted immediately and edits would be properly disclosed. “There were no rules governing this sort of action in the past, so I find no reason to press forward with a more formal or deeper investigation,” he said.

So, after getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar and trying to pass off the erasing of a portion of video as a 'glitch', they do a super-serious investigation and find out (get ready to clutch your pearls) that the deletion was in fact on purpose, and was ordered by some dastardly person! Of course no one remembers who ordered it, nor could they even possibly posit why the request was made (really).

Oh, and now there will be super-serious rules this time because before no one in the State Dept. ever could have thought that secretly editing and deleting portions of their archives could ever have been a bad thing.

Government!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Business Gorillas posted:

"Facists deserve to have their opinions ridiculed and ignored"

Granted, fascists are typically the oppressors and not the oppressed. Shades of gray and all that, but fascists should be ridiculed, ignored, shamed, and fought against with all means available and necessary.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't get why folk are pushing this whole trans poo poo. Don't they understand that most Americans don't give a poo poo at best? It just doesn't win any votes, and completely baffles my mind as to why any politician would do something that loses votes.

Hating on gay people won them elections for years. They thought it would take the same amount of time for America to come around on trans issues and they could use it as their new wedge, not realizing that the majority of people who are now fine with gay rights are also now fine with trans rights.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
the bathroom pushers gain votes in their blood-red constituency though?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

The labeling is terrible but it doesn't sound like the actual charge is inappropriate.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Luminous Obscurity posted:

“I have shared my personal experience of having taken my elementary school age daughters into a women’s restroom when shortly after three transgender black young adults over six feet with deep voices entered,” she writes. “My children were visibly frightened, concerned about their safety and left asking lots of questions for which I, like many parents, was ill-prepared to answer.”

Its uncanny.

Dillard Smith is black, by the way. Maybe that wasn't your point, but the story is a good example of the conservative streak in the black community, especially when it comes to LGBTQIA rights. She's apparently pushing some 'we need to come up with a solution that pleases both sides' non-answer.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't get why folk are pushing this whole trans poo poo. Don't they understand that most Americans don't give a poo poo at best?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AhhYes posted:

I've been trying to come up with a reason this isn't, by far, the most consequential outcome of this election and I can't do it. It has made me apathetic about the Dem primary and completely comfortable with a Clinton Presidency. So what if she's hawkish and centrist for 4-8 years? The court will be left of center for the bulk of the rest of my life. That's a huge win in my mind.

Assuming the GOP retains control of the House and continues their obstructionist policies, SCOTUS is absoutely the most important thing about this election.

However, the Tea Party got well spanked in the GOP primary with all their darlings going down to a dude who doesn't give a gently caress about social or movement conservatism. So, that coupled with losing Bad Guy Number One in the White House could lessen their resolve and compromise and governance might be possible. Or not, we'll have to see.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

showbiz_liz posted:

Hating on gay people won them elections for years. They thought it would take the same amount of time for America to come around on trans issues and they could use it as their new wedge, not realizing that the majority of people who are now fine with gay rights are also now fine with trans rights.

I don't know if a majority of people who are fine with gay folk suffering through marriage are fine with trannies using bathrooms with their kids. Do you have any polling data or focus group tests on that?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

showbiz_liz posted:

Welllllll it's also the nature of the battle they chose. I seriously doubt you'd get a commanding majority to say "trans men are men", but they went straight for "kick 'em out of the bathroom!" It was a really really stupid hill to die on.

edit: I seriously thought trans acceptance was 10 years off at least, but this bathroom thing is accelerating it heavily because it's a perfect for getting people to align against it.

Marriage was one thing, but if Republicans had tried to create bathroom rules for gay people they would have had people running from the position in droves.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 2, 2016

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Assuming the GOP retains control of the House and continues their obstructionist policies, SCOTUS is absoutely the most important thing about this election.

However, the Tea Party got well spanked in the GOP primary with all their darlings going down to a dude who doesn't give a gently caress about social or movement conservatism. So, that coupled with losing Bad Guy Number One in the White House could lessen their resolve and compromise and governance might be possible. Or not, we'll have to see.

Nah, the only person that the Tea Party hates worse than Obama is Hillary. They'll [pick whatever huge number]-down and if anything at all shifts it'll be that they become more vocally misogynistic than vocally racist.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Nah, the only person that the Tea Party hates worse than Obama is Hillary. They'll [pick whatever huge number]-down and if anything at all shifts it'll be that they become more vocally misogynistic than vocally racist.

8 years from now: "The only person the Tea Party hates worse than Hillary is [2024 candidate]"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Go away MIGf

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

nachos posted:

8 years from now: "The only person the Tea Party hates worse than Hillary is [2024 candidate]"

Hillary is a particularly bad example. I'm struggling to think of a person the right has hated more than her. Maybe Ted Kennedy?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Hillary is a particularly bad example. I'm struggling to think of a person the right has hated more than her. Maybe Ted Kennedy?

Soros 2024

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Trans rights is also the last battle of the culture war so it's a really convenient way for third way democrats to pretend they're actually liberals without having progressive policy impact them in any meaningful way, shape, or form

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

FDR, at least for some grandparents.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

93 year old. so what

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trans rights is also the last battle of the culture war so it's a really convenient way for third way democrats to pretend they're actually liberals without having progressive policy impact them in any meaningful way, shape, or form

Ah yes, can't support trans rights because it's a good thing, it must be because people are "pretending" to care about progressive issues and want to support a policy that won't have any "meaningful" effects.

Maybe it is you who is more conservative than you're pretending to act?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

This is exactly what it is. Its nothing but them finding a new "look at us we're "progressive"". Also I am a conservative onthis issue, its just that I also am not going to be a retard and go around a Target shouting about Perverts in a bathroom.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Mozi posted:

FDR, at least for some grandparents.

Well if we're going back before recent history my vote would be Lincoln. They seemed upset about his election.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

This is exactly what it is. Its nothing but them finding a new "look at us we're "progressive"".

Did you say the same thing about gay marriage?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

Did you say the same thing about gay marriage?
Never cared, but then hey Bathrooms are different.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Trabisnikof posted:

Ah yes, can't support trans rights because it's a good thing, it must be because people are "pretending" to care about progressive issues and want to support a policy that won't have any "meaningful" effects.

Maybe it is you who is more conservative than you're pretending to act?

This is exactly what I said and I'm glad you were able to read my post correctly

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

More than a few professors left or retired, because lol encouraging 18-21 year old men to carry guns everywhere after raising them to worship them.
I don't understand this mindset. Were they previously worried about students beating them to death in the parking lot with tire irons or slashing them with box cutters? Do they really think that the only thing stopping their students from killing them was lack of access to easy means? Also, you have to be 21 to concealed carry in Texas, so 18-20 yr olds probably won't be a problem, and given that CCW holders offend at a lower rate than police officers, it seems like what they are worried about isn't really a problem.

Radish posted:

Part of this I think is that the gun rights movement has so firmly won at least as far as our political leaders are concerned that people just don't want to process the horror of reality and not think about these things. The impression is that there really is nothing to do because politicians will never go against the gun lobby and if a school of dead kids can't force their hand then what possibly can?
Or most people realize that the odds of being killed by a mad school shooter is right up there with being struck by lightning, and don't worry about terrible but terribly unlikely events.

Dexo posted:

Any social issue, replace the word with Black and it will probably tell you which side of the argument you should be on.
Man, that raises some awkward questions about the way D&D talks about gun owners.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

emdash posted:

93 year old. so what

According to Alex Jones, Soros is a lizard person and some reptiles have lifespans into the hundreds of years. You never know!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dead Reckoning posted:

Man, that raises some awkward questions about the way D&D talks about gun owners.

because sleeping with a pistol under your pillow is genetically determined

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Sometimes it's just really easy and simple to get on the right side of a social issue. This is less often true of economic justice, and efforts to misrepresent and obfuscate economic justice on the occasions when the solution is simple have been more succesful, but if anything, that just tells me that people interested in economic justice should learn from the successes of social justice.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

because sleeping with a pistol under your pillow is genetically determined

How dare someone want to protect themselves. Also Economic Justice is Social Justice.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
What me and my gun do in the bedroom is none of your business.

I stick it up my butt.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

This is exactly what I said and I'm glad you were able to read my post correctly

You should stop posting poo poo like this. You clearly have zero knowledge of what Third Wayism meant.

A third way politician would never adopt a wedge issue like bathroom stuff. They punted on culture wars. Like seriously shut the gently caress up.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

MariusLecter posted:

What me and my gun do in the bedroom is none of your business.

I stick it up my butt.

this is only ok to me if the gun IS NOT gay

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol republicans

The dumb thing is that letting Obama cut Social Security would've probably made him easier to beat because how the gently caress could he claim to be any less than center-right if he guts social programs?

Zeroisanumber posted:

Having SCOTUS in our corner for the first time since I was playing with He-Man toys is going to be amazing. Just imagining the sour look that Roberts will get on his face every time he's getting crushed by a 6-3 decision on his own court is making me smile.

Or he'll be part of future 6-3 rulings in favor of the ACA while being on the losing side of a bunch of pro-consumer/labor 5-4 rulings. Assuming Garland (or whomever Clinton would appoint) ends up being supportive of those things. She has her iffy connections but I could see her picking someone far left over a moderate she likes more solely as a "gently caress YOU AND YOUR DECADES OF BULLSHIT" response to the GOP.

I'd be surprised if he would start joining the conservatives in balking at the ACA once he's no longer a crucial 5th vote to protect it. For whatever reason I think Roberts may actually believe the ACA is a good thing that needs to exist (maybe he has friends/family personally helped by it) and continue to defend it against blatant lawsuits designed to destroy it at all costs. At this point his legacy would only be hurt if he suddenly swapped to trying to strike it down once conservatives are in the minority on the court.

When Clinton wins does that mean a bunch of these stupid-as-gently caress 3 dem 3 rep led groups (like the FEC?) will get a majority of Dems running it or are they required to be evenly split as to ensure nothing ever gets done?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trans rights is also the last battle of the culture war

loving lol at "last battle."

Yea, we have the Black Lives Matter movement, but once we get trans rights sorted, that's it, culture war over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You should stop posting poo poo like this. You clearly have zero knowledge of what Third Wayism meant.

A third way politician would never adopt a wedge issue like bathroom stuff. They punted on culture wars. Like seriously shut the gently caress up.

No the third way goes either way on culture issues,sometimes when they think its convenient they hold hearings about the evil lyrics in rock movement, then when its convenient they suddenly love trans rights.

• Locked thread