Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you are the ottomans, dont ever worry about the Mamluk. You'll go through them like a wet paper towel with your superior space marine troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, new players generally criminally underestimate how important the Military Tactics bonuses are in the few 6 military techs. You also have your superior Ottoman tech group (Anatolian now?) troops.

If you can fight Austria and Hungary to even a minor victory, you'll go right through the Mamluks like they're not even there.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone else think it would be more elegant to just spend gold to increase your manpower directly instead of having to hire-and-fire specific mercenary regiments? Something like the "war taxes" mechanic could work, or a slider.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

MrBling posted:

If you are the ottomans, dont ever worry about the Mamluk. You'll go through them like a wet paper towel with your superior space marine troops.

i was there was an easier way for the ottomans to annex the mamlukes. historically they really just walked on in and beat the poo poo out of them and took everything they had once they reached cairo, then they just let the mamlukes hang around as an internal caste for the next 400 years or something. could be symbolised with a personal union i guess

that would be super OP in game though

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 1, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Just needs a dynamic historical event like the Burgundian Inheritance or Iberian Union. Same with the Qing conquests.

Gort posted:

Anyone else think it would be more elegant to just spend gold to increase your manpower directly instead of having to hire-and-fire specific mercenary regiments? Something like the "war taxes" mechanic could work, or a slider.

One of the things manpower does is curb strength in the already rich countries. If they can just buy more of it, it kind of nullifies the whole concept.

I mean in a roundabout way you can buy more armories and stuff anyway, which is pretty similar to what you're suggesting I think.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Ganja is province id 420.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm trying to get back into learning to play after not really touching the game since Common Sense. I've been watching Shenryyr's Aztec campaign and I feel like I understand a lot more (for example I now know that combat width exists). So far I've been toying with the Ottomans, starting out taking Albania and Byzantium, and then working on my cores. I'm not sure where I'd go from there, though. I did fabricate on Kosovo for the gold mine, but I'm not sure whether to push east, west or south into Africa.

Africa is easy mode and something that you can do while waiting for other truce timers to end (and when you start encountering Protectorates that's a reason to declare war on their master, and then declaring a separate war on the Protectorate)

East is fun because you can swallow India and push into China, which messes up plans that the AI might have to funnel trade into the West (you'll instead funnel trade into the Middle East)

There's an achievement for taking Moscow and Rome, if I recall correctly, so you could go North into Russia. Russia has a huge manpower pool but not the most impressive troops. If you're worried about going through Poland/Lithuania then you can always go around through the various hordes instead

West is great just because the land is so good but you've got to be more careful with AE

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm doing exactly the same, fiddling with the Ottomans, I'm in 1525. Took the Byzantines, Anatolia, the major part of the Balkans (through missions) and some of the islands (Crete and Rhodes), but now I'm stuck on all fronts. In the east, I'm allied with the QQ who are pretty big (but embroiled in civil war) and they are allied in turn with the Mameluks, who are super big (they stretch from Morrocco to my border in Anatolia), and I'm wary to start a war with them, even though I'm the first nation in military rank. In the west, I'm blocked by Hungary, whom I defeated in a previous war and broke their alliance with Austria, but now they have allied with France, who is nearly as powerful as me, so I can't do poo poo in that regard.

I picked the administration idea group first for the cheaper coring costs and worked great, then picked defensive (dunno why I chose that over offensive though) and then humanist. My main problem right now is war, I win most battles, but I suffer a ton of casualties, in my war against Hungary and Austria I emptied my manpower pool (35k men) and they kept coming. I don't know why, probably my army composition is crap or I don't bait enemy stacks harder enough.

Mamluks are pushovers no matter how big they get. Declare on one of Hungary's allies in order to break their alliance with France, and if they wind up allying with Austria again then I'd recommend just dealing with Austria+Hungary directly. If you start absorbing chunks of Africa and the Middle East then you should easily get to the point where you're flush with money and can just out-spend them with Mercs, cavalry, and artillery

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Koramei posted:

Just needs a dynamic historical event like the Burgundian Inheritance or Iberian Union. Same with the Qing conquests.

There actually is an event chain related to it, but it's really hard to trigger due to some weird conditions. Specifically Persia needs to exist and not be allied with Ottos between 1500 and 1520 for the chain to even begin. Then there's like five events where Venice and the Mamluks need to choose to keep the chain going and after all that, the Ottos get a claim on all Mamluk provinces. But that's almost certainly going to be more than 100 warscore worth anyway, so it's basically never going to duplicate the abruptness of the historical outcome.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think being able to annex them in a single war would be that OP, since like others said things like the Burgundian Inheritance exist. Or England can get a mission that gives them a Restoration of Union CB on France. Maybe a good way to do it would be to give the Ottos a special CB, either through mission or event, that would allow full annexation regardless of warscore, but at the cost of all the provinces having 100% autonomy. That's basically what happened IRL anyway.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
If Austria defends an HRE member and I have an alliance with Austria, does it break the alliance for good?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

QuarkJets posted:

From what I've read, the Chinese idea of colonization was basically to sail around nearby discovering new lands and then say to the people there "hey guys our empire is amazing, in fact we don't really need anything from you, instead have a bunch of cool expensive stuff and recognize how rad we are" and then they'd just leave and head to the next place.

Silly fools. If you're not spreading Abrahamic religions and cutting off heads you're doing it wrong.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Koramei posted:

One of the things manpower does is curb strength in the already rich countries. If they can just buy more of it, it kind of nullifies the whole concept.

I mean in a roundabout way you can buy more armories and stuff anyway, which is pretty similar to what you're suggesting I think.

What is hiring mercenaries but a way for rich countries to buy manpower? You're literally converting gold into troops.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Chump Farts posted:

If Austria defends an HRE member and I have an alliance with Austria, does it break the alliance for good?

I assume you're attacking the HRE member? More than likely; between the various penalties from being at war, AE from taking HRE land, and your trust gradually resetting back to base levels, it's safer to assume that they're not going to be willing to re-ally by the time the war ends.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Tendronai posted:

I assume you're attacking the HRE member? More than likely; between the various penalties from being at war, AE from taking HRE land, and your trust gradually resetting back to base levels, it's safer to assume that they're not going to be willing to re-ally by the time the war ends.

Hmm. Should I try to rip them apart and hope that I can weather any storms, then? I can't beat Austria's whole alliance chain, but I can take them and some allies easily.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
I think part of the logic is that the mercenary limit is low compared to your actual force limit in the end game. Just purchasing mercs won't match a force made of standard troops, you'll hit the limit before that.

At least that's the way I remember it working; I may have gone crazy.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Chump Farts posted:

Hmm. Should I try to rip them apart and hope that I can weather any storms, then? I can't beat Austria's whole alliance chain, but I can take them and some allies easily.

Your best option is to attack an ally of Austria, get them to annul all their treaties, and then attack your intended target right after the peace is accepted.

Alternatively you could try to get all the electors involved in a massive hellwar and disband the HRE so you don't have to worry about this ever again. If an elector is allied to you then you don't need to control their capital to disband them. That'll probably end up being messy as all hell, though.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

I feel I've made a pretty good go of it so far. This is just after my second war with the Mamluks, where I finished the mission to annex the Levant and had them release Iraq, who I will diplo-vassalise shortly. I supported Georgia's independence and they're now my allies. I haven't touched Europe except to take Kosovo for the gold mine. Poland isn't really hostile to me and Lithuania and Hungary are apparently too weak to be valid rivals so that might be something to look into, if I can get to Wien for the Western Focus. I dunno how I feel about tangling with the HRE though.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
You're still early in the game so you have plenty of time to see how things fall into place. Get Iraq its cores and annex them, take more of QQ's land, finish off the Mamluks, see if you can get a toe hold into Italy, and start slowly eating through the Balkans. Diplomatically vassalizing people in the Balkans is a great way to lower your AE. Also, take some of the Crimean region too. Austria may or may not be a problem based on how well they do with their marriages and the Netherlands. Usually Austria will get into a terrible war and then you can pounce while their allies are too pre-occupied to come to Austria's aid. Influence is a great idea group for the Ottomans because of how many small nations are nearby for you to to take as vassals (through force or through diplomacy - it doesn't matter).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Quick trade question: I have a bunch of light ships. I take six, choose "Protect trade", and check the options. Downstream nodes and nodes where I have lots of trade power give me very little benefit, but the node two upstream from my home node (where i have very little TP) says that the ships will raise our trade value from 2.8 to 8.5 or something like that.

I assign the ships, I wait a couple months just to be sure, and pick another group of six light ships. I hover over the same node and it's STILL saying that my trade value will go from 2 to 8. What could I be missing? I would be expecting to see "These ships will increase our trade value from 8.5 to <whatever>".

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Has a month gone by? Trade stuff only updates per month.

General Disclaimer: Don't trust the tooltips, they were super broken when they were added, and I don't think they've been fixed.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Maybe the AI transferred some trade ships to that node when it saw you'd stolen all its power, so it could get some back? :shrug:

If you go to the trade view of the province it'll have a breakdown of all the things contributing to the trade power there, money alone isn't such a good indicator. Look for the power from trade ships and see if that's actually updated. Barques give you 2 power per ship.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

I feel I've made a pretty good go of it so far. This is just after my second war with the Mamluks, where I finished the mission to annex the Levant and had them release Iraq, who I will diplo-vassalise shortly. I supported Georgia's independence and they're now my allies. I haven't touched Europe except to take Kosovo for the gold mine. Poland isn't really hostile to me and Lithuania and Hungary are apparently too weak to be valid rivals so that might be something to look into, if I can get to Wien for the Western Focus. I dunno how I feel about tangling with the HRE though.

My suggestion is to kick Venice and Genoa out of the Aegean so they stop siphoning your trade. Also there's really no reason to go the vassalization route for conquering Mesopotamia, because you have really low coring costs, and it's all in your culture group. Empires don't suffer any penalties for cultures within their group.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Tendronai posted:

Your best option is to attack an ally of Austria, get them to annul all their treaties, and then attack your intended target right after the peace is accepted.

Alternatively you could try to get all the electors involved in a massive hellwar and disband the HRE so you don't have to worry about this ever again. If an elector is allied to you then you don't need to control their capital to disband them. That'll probably end up being messy as all hell, though.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up saying gently caress it and used Hungary to bring Super Polabd against me with no allies. Good news is two wars later I'm a mega buff Germany. Bad news is butchering Hungary and forming Germany too early means my borders are ugly.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm pretty sure this probably exists but I dunno for sure.

Is there an alternative mod event out there for a Portugal Castile Spain formation?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Feu4-development-diary-2nd-of-june-2016.940420%2F

They're reworking culture groups now. You can select a certain number of accepted cultures depending on stuff. Takes some diplo points to drop or accept a culture but this looks a hell of a lot better than our current system.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm so glad about that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Downthread Johan says this is an Art of War-sized expansion.

But not for a few months since most of Paradox takes July off.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Poil posted:

I'm so glad about that.

Eh I dunno, most nations are only going to have 2-4 culture slots so even though you'll have direct control over it, you'll only have very few accepted cultures.

I kind of like it how it is right now with States and Territories, only cultures in States count toward accepted so it's pretty easy to manage your culture at the moment.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mysticblade posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Feu4-development-diary-2nd-of-june-2016.940420%2F

They're reworking culture groups now. You can select a certain number of accepted cultures depending on stuff. Takes some diplo points to drop or accept a culture but this looks a hell of a lot better than our current system.

Awesome.

e:

"hardly no penalties". god bless paradox

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

quote:

Stay tuned, next week Jake will all tell you about WHY it is better to be a great power than a minor.

:allears:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I don't hate this feature but I'm not too keen on it either, having disparate cultures take a lot of momentum to actually be accepted felt a lot more natural than this, where it's like the monarch issues a single decree and suddenly all cultural differences dissolve.

It'll definitely make cultures a lot easier to manage though.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

quote:

This is probably the last one I’ll write for some months, as I’m taking some paternity leave.

Months of paternity leave. Sweden is awesome

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

I don't hate this feature but I'm not too keen on it either, having disparate cultures take a lot of momentum to actually be accepted felt a lot more natural than this, where it's like the monarch issues a single decree and suddenly all cultural differences dissolve.

Welp, it looks like Albanians make up at least 20% of our economy, I guess I don't hate them anymore.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah, racism and xenophobia are more of an off/on switch.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

PittTheElder posted:

Has a month gone by? Trade stuff only updates per month.

General Disclaimer: Don't trust the tooltips, they were super broken when they were added, and I don't think they've been fixed.

Yeah, I always wait a full month before checking numbers.

I've been googling around and I found in an old thread that a then-recent change made it so that upstream trade power only comes from provinces and not from ships. Is that correct? Perhaps the tooltips never got updated to take that into account.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Koramei posted:

The biggest thing I can think of that cultural acceptance is an abstraction of is stuff like languages being officially permitted to be used by the local bureaucracy (so for instance Brandenburg owning Silesia without Silesian being accepted means the nobility, judiciary, etc in Silesia are obligated to use German in legal documents, speak German in court and so on), which would probably actually be a single decree issued by the monarch, with whatever political capital he needs to burn to get it through (diplo point cost).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, racism and xenophobia are more of an off/on switch.

All of this facetiousness is cool and all, but I think that the proposal sounds like a reasonable abstraction. You're spending 100 diplo, representing a significant effort on the government's part to hasten acceptance of a large cultural group within your borders. This doesn't mean that you're eliminating racism or even making different cultures get along, it just means that you've put the bare minimum into making members of that culture feel like more than second-class citizens. This doesn't seem so crazy to me. If they give the process a progress bar then you also capture that this sort of thing takes time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

I've been googling around and I found in an old thread that a then-recent change made it so that upstream trade power only comes from provinces and not from ships. Is that correct?

It is. Ships only project power in the node they are actually in.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I will never understand the appeal of playing a Major Power. All the work is already done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Eej posted:

I will never understand the appeal of playing a Major Power. All the work is already done!

Tear yourself apart and try and put the pieces back together!

• Locked thread