Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Solumin posted:

Right, I knew about the health packs, which made me wonder about armor. I'm guessing you can't, but I haven't checked.

One of the really nice things about this game is that you don't need another ult to handle someone else's ult. Stop High Noon by shooting McCree in the head, run away from all of the area-clearing ults, shoot Junkrat's tire... they're manageable.

I think Reaper is maybe the exception since half the time he'll come from some weird angle above you before you can react

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Flashbang reaper.

"Woah there"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

One thing I want to say about this game is how impressed I am at well it manages moving platforms. After playing other FPS games with moving platforms (I still remember the early days of Battlefield 2142 and the hilarity of trying to fight on a moving Titan) I'm impressed at how well the game not only models players on a moving platform or terrain, but also immobile objects (turrets, Junkrat mine, Bastion's fat, deployed rear end) on platforms (or even the payload). Heck, even Reaper's teleport snaps right to moving platforms with no issues, even when blinking FROM a moving platform.

Help Im Alive posted:

I think Reaper is maybe the exception since half the time he'll come from some weird angle above you before you can react

Reaper's Ult is the one I sit on the most behind Winston just because it needs to be saved for the right time. All the others can and often should be used relatively quickly to charge up the next. Reapers is the card up his sleeve that turns "I just teleported into the enemy team's teleporter location and was immediately surrounded" into "I just teleported into the enemy team's teleporter location and killed everything."

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 2, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish people understood that standing on the objective prevents the enemy from advancing or capturing and having people who can stand on the objective is very very important. So many frigging games are lost because Bastion sits on the side and shoots while a single Lucio pushes the cart in.

This is my hell with King of the Hill, even with Goon teamplay. When you sit outside the objective sniping in, that still means the enemy has places where they can take cover. I am lucio, I can heal 6 people at once on the cap and give us all sweet shields super quickly come help focus-fire some turds.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Reaper is one of the more annoying characters for me simply because there's no obvious pick to counter a good one. He's so solid on KOTH just reaping all over the point, then you think you got him and he wraith walks away.

Yeah I guess McCree works but McCree works for everyone.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

He's definitely harder to deal with. Genji can handle him if reflect is off cooldown, Reinhardt or Winston can use their shields, someone who isn't too close and try to displace him or shoot him in the head...
There's ways to handle him, but Reaper definitely has the upper hand if he gets the drop on your team.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Reaper is one of the more annoying characters for me simply because there's no obvious pick to counter a good one. He's so solid on KOTH just reaping all over the point, then you think you got him and he wraith walks away.

Like most things in the game flashbang and fan the hammer can shut it down pretty hard.

e: Good reapers get the high ground before activating death blossom and trigger it on the way down. That way by the time you get in most people's firing lines, you're already murdering them.

Easiest ones to shut down are those that are wraith-walking through our team. Boy howdy I wonder what kind of sick play this guy's going for?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Mei can help stop this if he is on a point, mcree wrecks him, and obviously anything from a distance works too assuming you can catch him without his wraith form.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

hes real fun and you are missing out

There are lots of fun characters though. I'm sure I'll get around to him eventually. Like when I get his white mariachi skin.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

It kind has some elements. Like when a useless D.Va (any other kind?) keeps loving feeding ultimate to everyone in the enemy team while doing absolutely nothing herself. Tactical visors and rocket barrages incoming all day :zenpop:

D Va owns

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

WoodrowSkillson posted:

mcree wrecks him

You can become invincible when flashbanged FYI.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

yes but that's on a cooldown and all mcree has to do is follow him, or flashbang him when his wraithform ends.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

As someone who's comign to love Reaper: anything with range. A set-up Bastion or Tobjorn turret I can't easily flank, Soldier 76, GODDAMNED MCREEEEEEEE, a flighty Genji, etc. Also battles between Reaper and Roadhog are a coin-flip since they're both shotgun-based and it really comes down to who gets initiative (does the Reaper surprise the Roadhog, or does the Roadhog grab and stun Reaper for a single scrapnel blast to the dome?). Mei can be also a real pain in the rear end.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Dear Blizz,

Please remove Tracer from the game. Thanks.

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

Alkydere posted:

As someone who's comign to love Reaper: anything with range. A set-up Bastion or Tobjorn turret I can't easily flank, Soldier 76, GODDAMNED MCREEEEEEEE, a flighty Genji, etc. Also battles between Reaper and Roadhog are a coin-flip since they're both shotgun-based and it really comes down to who gets initiative (does the Reaper surprise the Roadhog, or does the Roadhog grab and stun Reaper for a single scrapnel blast to the dome?). Mei can be also a real pain in the rear end.

I play a lot of reaper and I find good Pharah's are also challenging to fight -- she's either hard to hit with shotguns b/c she's in the air, or she's knocking me away with her E. If I manage to close the gap though it's definitely Reaper's advantage unless she is absurdly good with rockets.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Verranicus posted:

Dear Blizz,

McCree does a good job of that already

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Slime posted:

Does damage amp make Mei's primary fire freeze faster or something?

It does damage. You can actually kill Tracer or Zenyatta from full health with it if they get zero healing, and they won't even freeze.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

If you see a hurt Reaper trying to get away with Wraith Form you can chase him down as Lucio with speed boost and just headshot him. Otherwise yeah Mccree. Reaper doesn't really have character counterpicks so much as he isn't super useful against a lot of the cast compared to the other offense heroes. He loving dominates tanks and operates well in closed quarters, but otherwise he's fairly lackluster. If the other team has a Reinhardt as their sole tank and are playing around him you probably aren't going to get a lot done as Reaper (until you get your ult and then you can wipe them once but you'd probably have been more useful as someone else still).

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Spanish Manlove posted:

no... you can't

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I know I'm doing well when the enemy team sees me and they all immediately converge on me. :allears: Junkrat is just too much fun.

Verranicus posted:

Dear Blizz,

I've only played Tracer once or twice but I think she's really fun. A good one will wreck your team but that's true of any hero.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yes but that's on a cooldown and all mcree has to do is follow him, or flashbang him when his wraithform ends.

Yeah that's going to happen during a chaotic match of Overwatch.

Minrad posted:

no... you can't

Well some dude kept doing that to me when I would flashbang him and it was kinda funny.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Solumin posted:

I've only played Tracer once or twice but I think she's really fun. A good one will wreck your team but that's true of any hero.

I'm sure it's happened somewhere as Roadhog, but not enough to make this true.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Well some dude kept doing that to me when I would flashbang him and it was kinda funny.

Flashbang has a relatively short duration. You need to follow up with fan immediately after it lands if you want any hope of killing Reaper in time, and every shot in that period needs to hit.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Countblanc posted:

If you see a hurt Reaper trying to get away with Wraith Form you can chase him down as Lucio with speed boost and just headshot him. Otherwise yeah Mccree. Reaper doesn't really have character counterpicks so much as he isn't super useful against a lot of the cast compared to the other offense heroes. He loving dominates tanks and operates well in closed quarters, but otherwise he's fairly lackluster. If the other team has a Reinhardt as their sole tank and are playing around him you probably aren't going to get a lot done as Reaper (until you get your ult and then you can wipe them once but you'd probably have been more useful as someone else still).

Yeah, Reaper is decent at going and harassing snipers and such, but to me he shines when I can flank a team capping a point. Its harder to notice the noise of my guns in the melee, and normally im already 1.5 kills into it before anyone turns around to notice me/calls me out on their voice chat. I'll then kill the second and maybe a third before wraithing away, which either draws another person out to chase me, or lets me heal and then come back and harass them more.

In KOTH maps I can then survive for a while on the point if i clear it since i can just keep wraithing and fighting until my team shows up. Obviously that's best case as mcree can end that real quick, or pharah will force me off the point, etc etc.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Countblanc posted:

I feel like Reaper is the entry-level flanking character. You have big honkin' shotguns you just have to get close to use, you can go invulnerable if you over-commit, you can teleport straight to perfect set-up points, and your ult kills people just by being near them. Once you learn the basics of flanking on him, you can move on to other characters like Tracer and Mei who can get more done but require more map knowledge or finesse to do it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah that's going to happen during a chaotic match of Overwatch.

...yes? Just pursue the wraithing Reaper as long as he is not going to his own team and you can kill him easily as mcree since your DPS with fan the hammer way outbursts reaper's guns.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zombie Samurai posted:

I feel like Reaper is the entry-level flanking character. You have big honkin' shotguns you just have to get close to use, you can go invulnerable if you over-commit, you can teleport straight to perfect set-up points, and your ult kills people just by being near them. Once you learn the basics of flanking on him, you can move on to other characters like Tracer and Mei who can get more done but require more map knowledge or finesse to do it.

yes mei is definitely a step up from reaper uh huh uh huh

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Reaper ain't got no ice walls

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Reminder that Reaper has 8 shots in his clip and an insanely low reload time if you cancel it, and each shot does ~200 damage if you aim center mass (and can do more/less if you aim for heads). That's an insane amount of burst and consistent damage if your opponents have no quick way to disable you or become invulnerable/escape (ie most tanks and some support and defense heroes). You can kill way more people way faster as Reaper with a successful flank than as Mei who is pretty much exclusively a 1v1 hero until you build her insanely-quick-building ult.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
My contribution to @ReaperNames has been met with the only possible response.

https://twitter.com/lljktechnogeek/status/738444556132196352
https://twitter.com/ReaperNames/status/738446206649700352

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I just got gold in objective time with a 00:01

:psyduck:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
did your team loving destroy the other team? i've had that happen and it was because the game only cares about objectives which are actively being contested if you're a defender I'm pretty sure, and I think there was only a split second where the offense was actually on the point.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

a cat on an apple posted:

I just got gold in objective time with a 00:01

:psyduck:

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me need to take a break.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
no we were defending and we lost because no one would try to push them off the objective

but the next game I got an MVP card with Zenyatta hell yeah

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can you reflect the Dva ult as Genji?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

The thing is that anyone old enough to use the Seprihoth reference would probably be in their late twenties at the least.

Talk about arrested development.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sephiroth is badass.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MVP card honestly seems to mean "didn't die much" more than anything else. I've quad-golded with Pharah while randos get MVP.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Can you reflect the Dva ult as Genji?

I don't believe so, no. Her exploding mech counts as a character (like Junkrat's tire, which is why Reinhardt can pin it and push it away), and you can't deflect explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

MVP card honestly seems to mean "didn't die much" more than anything else. I've quad-golded with Pharah while randos get MVP.

Whenever I get "healing done" as Lucio, "damage absorbed" as Reinhardt, or "Objective time" as anyone I always feel like the game is bming me and/or my team