Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm on the TVShowTime train now, thanks to whoever suggested it last time this came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there a way that I can use one android device as a wireless(WIFI) controller input for another?

I have an android phone, and a little ARM based pi-like board (PINE64) running android, intended as a media center / HTPC. I think the phone would make a nice controller for this, if i could type things into the onscreen keyboard on the phone, and they would come up on the media center as if typed via a plugged in keyboard. And also using the touchscreen to move a mouse cursor on the other device?
I don't want to screencast from the phone, in case anyone is thinking that.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Does Google Keep and MS OneNote have good widgets? I'd like a light, simple to-do-list that syncs with my PC. The one I'm currently is connected to a Gmail account but the widget doesn't sync automatically and the Activities list in Gmail don't sync properly at all most of the time.

Do you have to create some dumb Microsoft account for OneNote to sync with Win 10? I just want a list of stuff I need to do for work that I can easily access on both my phone and PC.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

peepsalot posted:

Is there a way that I can use one android device as a wireless(WIFI) controller input for another?

I have an android phone, and a little ARM based pi-like board (PINE64) running android, intended as a media center / HTPC. I think the phone would make a nice controller for this, if i could type things into the onscreen keyboard on the phone, and they would come up on the media center as if typed via a plugged in keyboard. And also using the touchscreen to move a mouse cursor on the other device?

What software will you be running? If you run openelec you can just use the Kore kodi app to accomplish this, I think.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Does Google Keep and MS OneNote have good widgets? I'd like a light, simple to-do-list that syncs with my PC. The one I'm currently is connected to a Gmail account but the widget doesn't sync automatically and the Activities list in Gmail don't sync properly at all most of the time.

Do you have to create some dumb Microsoft account for OneNote to sync with Win 10? I just want a list of stuff I need to do for work that I can easily access on both my phone and PC.

Onenote is cool but it's a clunky piece of poo poo on phones in my experience, keep is so much faster.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Alternatively, OneNote is great on phones, but OneNote isn't great for todo lists compared to Keep.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

kri kri posted:

What software will you be running? If you run openelec you can just use the Kore kodi app to accomplish this, I think.
I'm running remixOS right now, which is an Android distro that is mean to act like a desktop. I was just hoping for some way use the phone as a general purpose input, for web browsing, youtube, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

peepsalot posted:

I'm running remixOS right now, which is an Android distro that is mean to act like a desktop. I was just hoping for some way use the phone as a general purpose input, for web browsing, youtube, etc.

Thanks for the heads up on Remix OS. Its quite interesting.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

peepsalot posted:

I use RemoteDroid. It's a bit clunky and super old, but it will work on any machine that can run the .jar file, including my crappy linux htpc. http://remotedroidserver.en.softonic.com/ for the aforementioned .jar file and a link to the app.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Did Facebook announce something about forcing everyone to Messenger? I've been using the mobile site, but starting yesterday it takes me to the store listing every time I click on a message.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
yeah, a while ago I believe. ASFAIK even if you're using the Facebook app it will force you to get messenger separately?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The FB Messenger app is actually pretty good. It's the base FB app that's garbage that I refuse to install.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The FB Messenger app is actually pretty good.

Mine crashes about 50% of the time when I switch to it through the app switcher. It's been happening on two phones so far.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

uPen posted:

Onenote is cool but it's a clunky piece of poo poo on phones in my experience, keep is so much faster.

Thermopyle posted:

Alternatively, OneNote is great on phones, but OneNote isn't great for todo lists compared to Keep.

Thanks, it seems Keep would be best for me. I've got everything else work-related connected to Google so I guess I can get one more app from them.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Uthor posted:

Mine crashes about 50% of the time when I switch to it through the app switcher. It's been happening on two phones so far.

Really? That's surprising. FB Messenger has been more stable, reliable and quicker than Hangouts ever was. For me at least.

Sympathy 5.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Uthor posted:

Yea this has happened to me too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Can anyone guess why the Google Play Music app responds to play/pause skip commands from my bluetooth headphones or my car controls, but the YT Music app does not (even in headphone mode)? Is there some difference between them or a hidden setting somewhere I need to fiddle with?

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Have we complained about the YouTube queue bar at the bottom of the screen when connected to Chromecast yet? I think it adds two steps to the formerly one step process of bringing up the video you have playing. I liked the little thumbnail and the queue bar that was attached to the video. It took up half the space and did twice the things. My math might be off. But it's stupid is what I'm saying.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Is anybody else getting this with Google Maps recently?

I guess they don't want me to forget what road I'm on...

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

brc64 posted:

Is anybody else getting this with Google Maps recently?

I guess they don't want me to forget what road I'm on...

Is it telling you to "Continue on blah blah blah for X miles" every. single. mile.? I've had that happen a couple times (but it didn't show the road number, like yours is) and it was super annoying.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

XIII posted:

Is it telling you to "Continue on blah blah blah for X miles" every. single. mile.? I've had that happen a couple times (but it didn't show the road number, like yours is) and it was super annoying.

There were no continuous audio cues, just the excessively repeating road signs. I mean, it's not hurting anything, but it seems kind of weird. I don't remember it doing that before, but I went on another road trip yesterday where it happened again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've seen that for a few months now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

brc64 posted:

There were no continuous audio cues, just the excessively repeating road signs. I mean, it's not hurting anything, but it seems kind of weird. I don't remember it doing that before, but I went on another road trip yesterday where it happened again.

I had that bug on Google Maps back in like 2010, and never since. No idea what could have broken now to do the same thing.

What happens if you choose to do "offline maps" for the area that's in, or if you refresh an existing offline map area?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The other day Facebook messenger decided to use 11% of my battery despite me never using it and afaik giving it reasonable settings about updates.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I'm a big fan of Hangouts, but why the gently caress does it randomly lose contact photos?!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

fishmech posted:

I had that bug on Google Maps back in like 2010, and never since. No idea what could have broken now to do the same thing.

What happens if you choose to do "offline maps" for the area that's in, or if you refresh an existing offline map area?

In both cases when it happened I was on road trips that likely took me out of Sprint's service area, so maybe it's a quirk of going offline during a drive.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I might be in the wrong place, but is there any app for Android TV that will play podcasts in the background while I also play a game?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Are there any new and exciting apps that sync contact photos from FB/IG/whatever else?

I've been using Sync.ME but it recently started throwing up ads with no option to buy my way out and that'll be a deal breaker if there's any other app out there that's half decent..

I'm pretty sure HaxSync is defunct, correct me if I'm wrong, and UberSync was stuck in Gingerbread last time I saw it so... yeah.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Are there any new and exciting apps that sync contact photos from FB/IG/whatever else?

I've been using Sync.ME but it recently started throwing up ads with no option to buy my way out and that'll be a deal breaker if there's any other app out there that's half decent..

I'm pretty sure HaxSync is defunct, correct me if I'm wrong, and UberSync was stuck in Gingerbread last time I saw it so... yeah.

I'm wondering this too.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm wondering this too.

UberSync got a Material redesign but will only grab a user's info if they also have the app, or have allowed or will allow the app permission so you can send them an invite which I'm not gonna fuckin' do cause I was already the "hey man everybody should use hangouts" guy

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Weather Timeline guy released a Twitter app called Flamingo ($1)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samruston.twitter

Went ahead and picked it up because Weather Timeline is just really good.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Has anyone been getting Rewards surveys since the deluge a few weeks ago?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

A lot fewer but in the last day I've gotten a repeat of the ultramarathon one and whether I've visited some national park in a state I've never set foot in.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I've been getting them on a trickle

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Skeezy posted:

The Weather Timeline guy released a Twitter app called Flamingo ($1)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samruston.twitter

Went ahead and picked it up because Weather Timeline is just really good.

This client LOOKS pretty, but I read that it always displays new tweets first - is there a way to have it always display the last-read (oldest) tweet instead of always the newest one on top?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm still getting them at the same rate I usually do, about three to five a week all location-based. I got my usual survey from Tuesday wings at Bedubs a day early, even.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I've only been getting 3 or so a week now, I used to get one about 5 days a week. Today I got a 70 cent one for picking which AC refill kit was more appealing and why I picked one picture over the other, 3 quick questions for 70 cents was awesome.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I have been sitting on $2.42 in Rewards since November and haven't got a single survey since then.
No idea why.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OgNar posted:

I have been sitting on $2.42 in Rewards since November and haven't got a single survey since then.
No idea why.

Do you have your location history enabled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/9/11895172/google-android-play-store-nearby-app-recommendation

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻