Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

But he was so very right that Adami needed a stealth-running Cardassin dick in her life.

She's the perfect villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Whenever they hosed her chambers would smell like hasperat soaked in yamok sauce.

Now you know why all Bajorans have wrinkled noses.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Seska was the smartest member of Voyagers crew.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

If this crossover ever happened Voyager might have been a bit more memorable. Lucy lawless should have at least shown up once.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rare Collectable posted:

If this crossover ever happened Voyager might have been a bit more memorable. Lucy lawless should have at least shown up once.

If it had also been the episode with The Rock, that would have been the best hour of TV

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Crowsbeak posted:

Seska was the smartest member of Voyagers crew.

Pretty much the only instance of clever writing, and not "technobabble" was when her Kazon ships were harrassing Voyager, and kept attacking this one subsystem of the ship. Janeway and the crew are stumped why she is doing that, as it's not slowing them down, or damaging their weapons. Then when they get captured it turns out that one of the things that subsystem did was control the auto destruct.

In the end the day was saved when the two most interesting characters on the show (the Psycho-Killer and the doctor) retake the ship.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blistex posted:

(the Psycho-Killer and the doctor)

You mean Wormtongue.

I feel like this detail should always be pointed out.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
That's Mr. Douriff to you

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

dont gently caress a bajoran, kids

guaranteed mental illness

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

poo poo, im super horny right now.. i wonder who else... *uses bajoran powers* aha! cmere worfy baby

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Lwaxana knew she was making all the stuffy starfleet pp's tingle and exactly how long they'd last and thats why she had her own hodor

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

and that fat dead 50 year old gently caress from the logans run planet was the best gently caress she ever had because he knew he would be expired soon and did some REALLY disgusting things

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
What is subspace?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

10-forward waiter would probably be the best because you're first in line to start drinking Guinan's stash of the real stuff whenever a borg cube or some poo poo is sitting right there in front of you

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I wonder what the consequences of hacking a replicator to make real alcohol is.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

bollig posted:

What is subspace?

The space below space

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Guinan seems like she'd be a really cool and chill boss, so yeah, I'd be a ten-forward waiter. I'd even wear that dumb blue onesie without complaining.

I wonder if civilians get holodeck time

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Germstore posted:

Scotty doesn't have to deal with the morning shakes

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Do you even have to hack the replicator to make illicit items

Or are they just on the honor system like the command communication channels

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I imagine it gives an alert to the bridge

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The space below space

oooooooh

I'm living in the golden age of television and I'm watching Star Trek: Voyager

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Germstore posted:

Early on in TNG it was explained that the replicator does a fine job making real alcohol if you just ask, back when they unthawed those 20th century people. They seemed to have changed that by the time they found Scotty on that Dyson sphere, because he had to steal Guinan's ecto cooler.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

criscodisco posted:

Early on in TNG it was explained that the replicator does a fine job making real alcohol if you just ask, back when they unthawed those 20th century people. They seemed to have changed that by the time they found Scotty on that Dyson sphere, because he had to steal Guinan's ecto cooler.

You can see the lack of vision after rod 'n berries died

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rare Collectable posted:

Lucy Lawless has aged really well, still smoking hot in shows like BSG and Spartacus.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

etalian posted:

Lucy Lawless has aged really well, still smoking hot in shows like BSG and Spartacus.

and parks and rec

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Cardassians have their own version of pinochle lol

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
wait so they arent allowed booze on the enterprise? Or just lovely romulan ale, instead of good old scotch whisky?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

criscodisco posted:

Definitely O'Brian's fault

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I imagine it gives an alert to the bridge

*beep! beep! beep!*

Kira: Oh look, "Chief" is having "toast" for breakfast :rolleyes:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the idea behind synthehol was supposed to be that it tastes just like the real thing, doesn't give you a hangover, even gets you buzzed as gently caress if you want, but you can just "shake it off" and sober up at will if you need to (like if there's a red alert or if you want to be able to give sober and informed consent or w/e). either gene roddenberry or david gerrold even thought that it had been invented by the Ferengi - the idea being that it lets you have both the social lubricant of intoxication, and the sobriety for not getting hosed over in a business negotiation.

but then some dipshit writers got in and decided that it would be cooler to cast it as this knockoff bud-lite thing that nobody prefers to "the real thing". it's the same kind of ~*artisanally handcrafted*~ bullshit sentiment we rightfully mock today, but in the space-future.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
They also made it seem like it tasted nothing like the real thing, at least to regular drinkers. They should have made it like those low alcohol beers you used to be able to buy when you were 18, in that you didn't get very drunk but you couldn't really tell the difference unless you were completely dependent on alcohol.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
7 of 9 once got drunk off some fake champagne. There was a reference to her "blood synthehol level" :rolleyes: Also the doctor kind of took her away once he realized she was drunk.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Did Voyager have the same policy that TNG had of accepting scripts from anyone? It always seemed to me that in TNG amateur writers would occasionally take ideas from earlier episodes and change them, then other writers would change them a bit more, and it would snowball into things like synthehol changing so much.

Voyager was full of ideas that were different from what we'd already seen (like the single episode that claimed it was impossible to steer at warp), so I was wondering if that could be blamed on amateur writers not really understanding what they were doing.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I thought they had a big handbook full of the "rules" like no transporter with the shuelds up for the writers.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think the original series had the most interesting single episode ideas probsbly because they weren't locked into all the history and rules the later shows had. Giant planet eating machine? Giant cube all ran by a little boy? Meet an ancient roman God in the flesh? gently caress it lets do them all.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I thought they had a big handbook full of the "rules" like no transporter with the shuelds up for the writers.

Roddenberry did have a "rule book" that was enforced until some time in TNG I think.

- Shields =/= transporting
- Always need an even number of warp nacells
- Earth had to always be a perfect utopia
- I get first crack at all the new female interns.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Blistex posted:

- I get first, second, third, fourth, and fifth crack at all the new female interns.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Majel Barrett must have been a very forgiving woman

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Voyager was full of ideas that were different from what we'd already seen (like the single episode that claimed it was impossible to steer at warp)

What?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What game is that? It looks pretty nerdy... good nerdy :getin: