Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I just heard a radio ad for a horse dentist. :aaa:

e: not a horse trained as a dentist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

defectivemonkey posted:

So yeah actually US public transit is generally not great. But there's a LOT more space to connect. I was able to almost never use my car when I lived right outside the city and worked in it but now that I live and work in the suburbs public transportation to my office is a terrible option. Like, I would go an hour in the other direction and take at least two different buses and possibly also the metro for a stop bad.
The way our cities and towns are set up is also generally not great. Depending on where you are, it can be a surprising distance to a grocery store, and that doesn't combine well with the multiple small trips that make bringing groceries on the bus practical.

Back in college, the closest real grocery store was 25 minutes away by bus. poo poo was hosed. Doable as a college student with more free time than money(and a school-provided unlimited bus pass), but still hosed. And this was in Milwaukee, where the bus system was semi-decent for downtown use.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Moneyball posted:

e: not a horse trained as a dentist.

"Dr. Joy of Freckles, we have a late arrival He doesn't have an appointment. Can you stay to see one more patient?"
"NEIGH!"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah man, I've paid like combined 7000$ for the bike and the convertible. That wasn't the point. Point was that do I really need to have them besides the Kia? No. But its's still not BWM either.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Moneyball posted:

As anyone from Boston will tell you, it's quicker to walk than to take the Green line after a certain stop.

Though if you live in range of the Green Line, walking to the grocery store is probably not too much of a burden and you also live in Peapod range :shrug:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I used to bike to the grocery store and carry it back in my backpack and on the handle bars. That sucked.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Well yeah, that's why you get a bike basket and/or panniers (or a cargo bike if you're really hardcore).

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
My choices back when I was 18-20 (didn't get my licence until 6 months before 21), and bus dependent, getting groceries for me and my great-grandmother, in an average density part of suburbia.

1) Walk 20 minutes through 2 parks to Safeway. Get stuff. Walk 30 minutes home. Carrying that poo poo slowed you down.

2) Take bus (stop was right by apartment!) to Grocery Warehouse. Rush through shopping to make sure you didn't miss bus back, as they only came once every 30 minutes to hour. Pray you don't get stuck in long line. Get glared at by people as you clumsily heft 10 plastic bags into the bus.

3) Go to CircleK 10 minute walk away. Get gouged. This was what happened 50% of the time.

This was in 2000-2002, carrying your own bag in the store at that time was not being green. It was just a fast way to get tailed by security for your entire trip.

Bike? Sure, if you want it to get stolen. There's nowhere to lock it.

I loved being able to drive to the grocery store. I can buy more than I can fit in my hands? I can take advantage of that mega sale on a 24 pack of TP? If I forget something, I can drive back tomorrow? That would be hard to give up. Though ideally there'd be one I could walk to.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moneyball posted:

He's a good guy and does thorough work, but don't ask him to treat a gift horse.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Average house prices in Auckland, NZ will pass the $1m mark this year. The PM says you can still buy for under $500k. Warning: contains houseboat.

quote:

Asked yesterday about Auckland’s average house price nearing the $1 million mark, John Key was as upbeat as ever: “If you go on Trade Me this afternoon and Google property $500,000 or less in Auckland, you will find there are quite a few.”

Leaving to one side the curious instruction to Google something on TradeMe, this isn’t the first time the PM has directed us to this online real estate nirvana.
http://thespinoff.co.nz/politics-media/02-06-2016/john-key-suggested-we-google-trademe-for-homes-under-500000-so-we-did-and-here-they-are/

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Devian666 posted:

Warning: contains houseboat.

There's someone we need to have you speak with.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Devian666 posted:

Average house prices in Auckland, NZ will pass the $1m mark this year. The PM says you can still buy for under $500k. Warning: contains houseboat.

http://thespinoff.co.nz/politics-media/02-06-2016/john-key-suggested-we-google-trademe-for-homes-under-500000-so-we-did-and-here-they-are/

Why are there $2100/month ground leases included on some of those houses? I've seen that in park systems for cabins, but never primary residences.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/738148528011120640

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

gently caress, when I viewed it, it had exactly 401 likes. Now it's got 403.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Why are there $2100/month ground leases included on some of those houses? I've seen that in park systems for cabins, but never primary residences.

It is a park owned by a trust. It just happens to be in New Zealand's largest city. Apparently the annual leases were as low as $2000 per year at one point, now people are going broke and abandoning their houses on the land.

I've noticed a lot of apartments going up in the Capital that the land underneath is leasehold. It's bad enough having body corporate fees, rates (property tax) and then having leasehold land. People are completely insane to not own the land.

Moneyball posted:

There's someone we need to have you speak with.

I believe the houseboat plan has been finished off by the potential loan to his mother. Which is unfortunate as being a (sub)mariner is the ideal lifestyle.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 2, 2016

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah man, I've paid like combined 7000$ for the bike and the convertible. That wasn't the point. Point was that do I really need to have them besides the Kia? No. But its's still not BWM either.

The reason that cars are almost universally BWM is that they're a fixed expense followed by a large yearly ongoing expense and at the end of the day you're left with an object that's worth less than you started with.

For some reason people almost universally treat their cars as fixed expenses, rather than the $3-4000 ongoing yearly expenses that they are. And even then there's a huge circle jerk where people try to explain how they're burning money less than most people and so it's GWM.

That being said, it's obvious that that ongoing expense is often necessary in order to live your life, but let's all take a moment and be real. There's not really a scenario where car ownership is contributing to your wealth outside of it enabling your paycheck. It's a big expense, full stop. We most all have to deal with it, we should be envious of those who don't and can still maintain/live their lives normally.

Moneyball posted:

This is my parents. Still paying $300 a month for Comcast and buying cigarettes despite one being unemployed and the other working 15 to 20 hours a week at a convenience store. I'll have to supplement their retirement, which I'll dutifully do, but trying to motivate them to change is a lost cause. At least they got a free house. :unsmith:

Yeah...I too suffer from an inherited BWM family member. I wonder if their inability to manage their own money is the reason I can manage mine (someone has to do it!)

Anyhow. Familial duty and womb debt is probably some type of incurable BWM syndrome.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Okay, but a car can also be entertainment that doubles as transportation, right?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

El Mero Mero posted:

The reason that cars are almost universally BWM is that they're a fixed expense followed by a large yearly ongoing expense and at the end of the day you're left with an object that's worth less than you started with.

For some reason people almost universally treat their cars as fixed expenses, rather than the $3-4000 ongoing yearly expenses that they are. And even then there's a huge circle jerk where people try to explain how they're burning money less than most people and so it's GWM.

That being said, it's obvious that that ongoing expense is often necessary in order to live your life, but let's all take a moment and be real. There's not really a scenario where car ownership is contributing to your wealth outside of it enabling your paycheck. It's a big expense, full stop. We most all have to deal with it, we should be envious of those who don't and can still maintain/live their lives normally.

Yeah...I too suffer from an inherited BWM family member. I wonder if their inability to manage their own money is the reason I can manage mine (someone has to do it!)

Anyhow. Familial duty and womb debt is probably some type of incurable BWM syndrome.

Wafflestomper spotted.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

I realize I'm getting old when I don't know if this is for or against saving for retirement, like they don't care about retirement, or they have their mind off their money while it compounds interest?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Vahakyla posted:

Okay, but a car can also be entertainment that doubles as transportation, right?

Nobody loving cares how much fun you have driving your car during morning rush hour, half of your posts itt are "omg my car is so amazing, its like every day my car gives me a blowjob, thats gwm right??" Like for real, I drive stick and you are the reason people hate people who drive stick.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
edit: internet double postin

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

I realize I'm getting old when I don't know if this is for or against saving for retirement, like they don't care about retirement, or they have their mind off their money while it compounds interest?

I'm not sure either. Maybe they think their 401k is sorted.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

The only fun I've had in my car is when the podcast I'm listening to makes me laugh. A car is just a tool that gets me from one place to another, and people who have fun driving are weird.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Does anyone have any experience or advice with loaning their parents money? I come from an extremely poor family and my mom claims to be struggling right now with a recent move and job switch. She texted me yesterday asking for $2000. I've been saving up diligently for a while to move into some more comfortable digs and really dont want to have to loan her the money, especially right now since this is the best season inventory wise for me to make my move.

I thought about giving her some just as a gift with no expectations on being paid back. But I'd really like to help her learn basic budgeting. I know shes horrible with her money and I'm sure if I worked with her and she was willing she could be saving a lot more. I just dont want to insult or belittle her by teaching her basic personal finance.

What about our dreams for a houseboat? Rude.

WampaLord posted:

The only fun I've had in my car is when the podcast I'm listening to makes me laugh. A car is just a tool that gets me from one place to another, and people who have fun driving are weird.

I'm genuinely sorry for you, I hope that you get well.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

So my sister who makes poor life choices had to give up her dog because she rents and rips people off/burns bridges. She has run out of dog friendly living arrangements.
Now my parents and their son who also makes poor life choices and lives at home have to take care of it. I'm saving to make another poor life choice.. a house :colbert:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I guess having/causing road rage can be entertaining for the stories I get to tell people later. That's probably the most entertainment I get out of my car.

Hell I still carry around a super angry note that someone left on my car for parking too close to them, great ice breaker.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

So my sister who makes poor life choices had to give up her dog because she rents and rips people off/burns bridges. She has run out of dog friendly living arrangements.
Now my parents and their son who also makes poor life choices and lives at home have to take care of it. I'm saving to make another poor life choice.. a house :colbert:

You're the son who makes poor life choices, aren't you? You're buying the house to move out of their's?

Speaking of sisters who are poo poo, my fixed income, disabled father-in-law just finally realized my sister-in-law isn't going to pay him back $6500 she borrowed. The funny part is she's scammed or 'borrowed' tens of thousands of dollars from her entire immediate family. But no one wants to make waves, so everyone's kept that fact from her father because he would have probably disowned her. But because he didn't realize she was a financial dumpster fire, he lent her money he can't afford to lose. The family reunion next month is going to be awesome.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Subjunctive posted:

He's a good guy and does thorough work, but don't ask him to treat a gift horse.

He's a good man. And thoroughbred.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
In my experience, once you lend family money, you look like an ATM to them. I now have family that won't talk to me because I won't 'lend' them money anymore. Like I'm somehow the rear end in a top hat because worked hard to get a good career and try to be responsible with my money.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Lysandus posted:

worked hard to get a good career and try to be responsible with my money.

humblebrag?

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

r0ck0 posted:

humblebrag?

I may have anger ranted a bit.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I figured out that I can get the bus costs down from $4.50/day to under $2.70 with a pretax benefit from work.

I still am going to have 2 cars, a truck, 1/3 of a race car, and a scooter.

I might actually drive less than 10k/miles a year (I've averaged between 16k and 20k since I started driving in 2006).

Having 1.33 race cars is super BWM. But still better than a horse.

Phone fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 2, 2016

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Lysandus posted:

I may have anger ranted a bit.

I mean, there really wouldn't be a thread without humblebragging. The most fun content is "look what this person did, but not me, for I only act rationally with my money". I wouldn't stress too much.

BWM: donating money to your college in the hopes that they will pay off some of your student loans? http://gawker.com/northeastern-university-offers-alums-a-hosed-up-studen-1780080341

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

And that's the university my girlfriend is going to and I considering for grad school. :downs:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

WampaLord posted:

some people my family buy or lease new luxury cars every three years or so and one time they were ribbing me for still driving my 99 Honda Accord. My brother and I both explained that cars are just metal boxes to move you around and nothing else really matters, but they stared at us like we were from another planet.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Eldred posted:

I mean, there really wouldn't be a thread without humblebragging. The most fun content is "look what this person did, but not me, for I only act rationally with my money". I wouldn't stress too much.

BWM: donating money to your college in the hopes that they will pay off some of your student loans? http://gawker.com/northeastern-university-offers-alums-a-hosed-up-studen-1780080341

I would have done that in a heartbeat if it was a $5 entry. The worst possible outcome is being out $4 after I get the $1 back on my taxes.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's almost like different people have different consumption preferences and we live in a relatively free society that allows you to choose what you want to spend your money on. What a crazy world we live in.

If you like nice cars (and can afford them), buy nice cars. If you don't give a poo poo about cars, then don't.

Same reasoning applies to anything people spend their discretionary income on, even loving horses. If you can afford it then go hog wild. And if said person can afford it, they don't belong in this thread even if you personally would never spend your money on it. We all spend money on things other people don't give a poo poo about, but as long as it's not putting us in the poor house then who the gently caress cares.

How about some more stories of hilarious financial gently caress ups, and less bragging about how much you don't give a poo poo about cars. It's as bad as the "anyone who spends more than $20 on a wedding is an idiot" posts.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 2, 2016

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
E: wrong thread

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

a relative of mine got married, and her and her husband stretched and got a half million dollar house they could barely afford since she works at a daycare and he works as an EMT.

despite a strained relationship she gets pregnant, but the husband decides to keep riding motorcycles and ends up crashing due a self-done repair that he screwed up, and is now unable to work. no idea where it goes from here but she's due soon and I doubt things will get better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

DuckConference posted:

a relative of mine got married, and her and her husband stretched and got a half million dollar house they could barely afford since she works at a daycare and he works as an EMT.

despite a strained relationship she gets pregnant, but the husband decides to keep riding motorcycles and ends up crashing due a self-done repair that he screwed up, and is now unable to work. no idea where it goes from here but she's due soon and I doubt things will get better

That story is eerily similar to a couple I know, but they are not BWM. I think it's just a crazy/cool story.

They have a huge house way away from town but make good money. He crashed his motorcycle on the way to Sturgis a couple of years ago and was permanently paralyzed while nearly losing an arm as well. Their relationship was rocky for a while, and somehow they decided to make it work and wanted to get pregnant. I could tell you they spent a boatload on IVF (In Vitro) and had nothing to show for it, but really they tried useding something similar to what Meh is selling today (an electrical muscle stimulator thingie) and were able to get some baby batter out and into a cup. Being the self-respecting woman she is, she used a 10cc syringe and shot that up in her and got pregnant on the first try.

If you're looking for BWM, they spent a bunch on making their house wheelchair friendly and now they're looking at moving closer to town and to get into a 1-story house so that he can access more of it.

• Locked thread