Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So I've noticed that if I switch to two handed after a parry, the riposte doesn't actually seem to do any more damage that it would one handed. Is the same true of backstabs and guard breaks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think this is actually the clue that Carthus and Smouldering Lake are part of Yhorm's lands, because he also has a few callbacks to DS2. Namely being a giant Lord and a few things about the children of the abyss being around.

Not that this necessarily means it isn't related to DS2, but Smouldering Lake looks to me to be Ash Lake, specifically. Go to the boss arena and look out.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Soul of Cinder is being extremely brutal, any shield I use, he just mauls me, sorceries I can't really cast fast enough and even two-handing my magic buffed sword isn't that helpful because all my points are in int and faith. I can reliably dodge most of his moves except the curved sword moveset and the second phase just seems to combo me to death on the first mistake. A little hint? Or is it just: melee, dodge, git gud?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

mortons stork posted:

Soul of Cinder is being extremely brutal, any shield I use, he just mauls me, sorceries I can't really cast fast enough and even two-handing my magic buffed sword isn't that helpful because all my points are in int and faith. I can reliably dodge most of his moves except the curved sword moveset and the second phase just seems to combo me to death on the first mistake. A little hint? Or is it just: melee, dodge, git gud?

Phase one is kind of a damage race to grind down the weapon stances you're bad at fighting, phase two is actually quite a bit easier if you stay at mid-range and bait his distance-closing attacks. They leave him wide open.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

mortons stork posted:

Vigor is essential to every build in this game. put 5 levels into vigor and get 200 extra health to kill him.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

NTT posted:

Vigor is essential to every build in this game. put 5 levels into vigor and get 200 extra health to kill him.

I have 20 vigour, I thought it was a good stopping point?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Vigor has been incredibly buffed in DS3 for PvE purposes. Just 5 levels or the prisoners chain will save you from a lot of attacks. Each level just gives you so much HP compared to 1/2.

And yeah 20 is good. But equip the chain anyways

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 2, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

mortons stork posted:

Mostly the git gud thing, unfortunately. If he's catching you in his giant combo in P2, that's basically a one hit KO no matter what. Watch for the sword to go back over his shoulder and delay a second while the burning noise gets a bit louder, that's your cue to run away screaming. If it's just normal swings comboing you, that's more just a matter of learning the dodge timing. Like most all of the bosses in this game, you'll probably do better if you're more aggressive. Sitting back and waiting for an opening just means you'll never get any staggers, which is your best chance to get a lot of damage in. Basically, dodge dodge dodge and if you're not dodging always be stabbing. Of course if you're gimped on your melee damage, that is going to make things harder. I've never tried him with any spells. :shrug:

E: also try the carthus ring (forget if it's milk or blood) that gives you extra iframes on your dodge. Makes almost any dodge-heavy fight a lot more manageable.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
20 Vigor seems pretty low for end-game IMO unless you're popping embers after every death.

Phase one Soul of Cinder is about going ham on the easier weapon forms (straight sword, sorcery, maybe spear, definitely not curved sword) and playing defensively and dodging the ones that are tougher. SoC will eventually change forms if you kill enough time, so the big objective is just not taking hits when the boss has attack forms you don't like. Sorcery is by far his easiest form to punish.

Phase two of Soul of Cinder, he'll usually do his super combo as his first or second attack in the phase. He starts it by holding his sword up and to his side a bit. If you get hit by any hit in this combo you get juggled for the rest and it can be straight-up death at low Vigor. However it's pretty easy to recognize the tell and you have enough time to simply roll a good distance away and let him do it. After he explodes you can rush in and punish a bit. Other than that, his miracles are a lot easier to punish. Otherwise just dodge his sword swipes and wait for opportunities to attack safely. He has less health in phase 2 but you don't want to trade hits like a dummy.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Iretep posted:

doesent sprinting and then pressing R2 produce a jump attack too? not sure if its unparriable though since i havent met parry spammers yet.

One secret is that if you push forward+r2 out of a roll it does a jumping attack that comes out pretty quickly. Only works if you're not locked on though which makes it tough to aim.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

RyokoTK posted:

20 Vigor seems pretty low for end-game IMO unless you're popping embers after every death.

....OH. I've been leveling up to be able to use heavy armor with my big club, which I gather as well as being actually impossible, is I'd also not even beneficial? Either way, I've got as much vigor as the knight starts out with at the end of Lothric castle...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Heavy armor is not worthwhile in this game, the damage reduction isn't that much higher and you have to spend points in Vitality to wear it. In a game where shields and rolling can completely mitigate all damage regardless of your armor, it's really not worth it at all.

By the time I hit end-game I'm shooting for 35-40 Vigor, and even that can get you two- or three-shotted by a lot of the late bosses.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

!Klams posted:

....OH. I've been leveling up to be able to use heavy armor with my big club, which I gather as well as being actually impossible, is I'd also not even beneficial? Either way, I've got as much vigor as the knight starts out with at the end of Lothric castle...
Yeah I'm a strict adherent to the "no wrong build" philosophy and if it worked so far it might well continue to do so (armor DOES absorb damage at the very least), but if you have had an exceptionally hard time so far or thought "man this boss sure is a tough challenge what with two-shotting me all the time" I would recommend a trip to the reskillery.

I do know that once I figured out that Vigor isn't a dump stat for scrub losers even in the earlier Dark Souls', the stories of my friends who beat many bosses first try while I took, like, 30, didn't seem that much like bragging at all anymore.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The one thing is that enemy damage is retardedly overtuned in the late game (starting from Lothric Castle, basically) and all the Vigor and heavy armor isn't going to stop you from getting loving pasted if you don't know how to roll. If you want to block a lot you really need a greatshield, but every boss does some kind of elemental damage as well when they attack so it doesn't even fully mitigate damage and it drains all your stamina so you can't attack.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

By the time I hit end-game I'm shooting for 35-40 Vigor, and even that can get you two- or three-shotted by a lot of the late bosses.

I read that later bosses have attacks that just do a % of your health bar instead of a # which means your health total doesn't mean anything. I've never gone above 27 vigor and feel like I take about the same amount of damage you describe (although it's only 200-300 more health which is maybe one hit).

Is that true or should I not have trusted PYF posters

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Digirat posted:

I read that later bosses have attacks that just do a % of your health bar instead of a # which means your health total doesn't mean anything. I've never gone above 27 vigor and feel like I take about the same amount of damage you describe (although it's only 200-300 more health which is maybe one hit).

Is that true or should I not have trusted PYF posters

That sounds like bullshit to me. It's just that late bosses hit really goddamn hard so an extra 5 Vigor might not actually let you survive another big hit.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

RyokoTK posted:

The one thing is that enemy damage is retardedly overtuned in the late game (starting from Lothric Castle, basically) and all the Vigor and heavy armor isn't going to stop you from getting loving pasted if you don't know how to roll. If you want to block a lot you really need a greatshield, but every boss does some kind of elemental damage as well when they attack so it doesn't even fully mitigate damage and it drains all your stamina so you can't attack.
That's true, but I suck and always will at consistent timing, so I never get more than maybe 9/10 dodges correct if I'm being generous. I tried a sick <30% bleed dodgyroll build against Dragonslayer Armor (who I did first try blind) and got loving pasted three times; turns out that no matter how easy it is to avoid his lightning charge attack, I might still gently caress it up once and it's nice not being instantly dead then. Same goes for dying in one combo, or plain getting three-shotted instead of two from normal attacks. I might even have gotten up to being able to tank three full hits from him with full medium gear at 69% weight, and this is my perfect comfort zone. I can gently caress up as many rolls as I have Estus, just not two in a row, and that's exactly what I need to win very consistently.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
The hp from Vigor climbs quickly until you are getting 44 hp per level at 16 and 17. From 16-20 you get 214 hp, 3 times what you get from 36-40.

From 17, the value of Vigor drops slowly until 26 VGR where you get 30 hp. At that point it drops quickly to 19 and then slowly drops to 13 hp at 40 VGR. From 40-49 it falls off the cliff again and from 50 on you are getting 2.5 hp per point.

Unless you have some crazy glass cannon build, you should get:
- 17-20 VGR as soon as you can stand it
- 26 when you can but not at the expense of getting stats for a weapon or spell you want.
- 40 if you have levels to spare, or want to be all tanky
- 44-49 if you give two shits about soul levels

If you want to pvp, move everything up a rank on this list. Get 26 ASAP and 40 when you can.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

super fart shooter posted:

So I've noticed that if I switch to two handed after a parry, the riposte doesn't actually seem to do any more damage that it would one handed. Is the same true of backstabs and guard breaks?

No, it wont.
That certain mechanic was only in DS1. And it was ridiculous with pre-nerf Hornet ring and a STR build.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
RE: vigor - low vig can survive lategame boss's quicker attacks, or single attacks out of a combo. But more of the moderate attacks will oneshot you (ex. the fire sweep off Lorian's sword), and anything with a long windup will almost definitely oneshot you. Oceiros's typical attacks are incredibly weak, but his charge and if he grazes you when landing after his flying crystal breath will OHKO you. Most of Armour's attacks will OHKO, maybe not the shield bonk?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My first playthrough I finished with 20 vigor and I almost never popped embers. In retrospect this made it a lot harder than it needed to be.

Of course this was also when I still thought that poise did something, so I had really high vitality to wear heavy armor.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Iretep posted:

wait is parry spam an actual issue? dont most weapons have unparryable moves?

No. The vast majority of weapons can be parried. Very few moves are actually immune to parry. Jumping attacks can be performed with any weapon but are super slow and easy to avoid so they are hardly a solution.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Every time I think I like PvP in this game I get parried for over 1600 damage and die in one hit, and I remember how degenerative and stupid it is. :sigh:

I managed to avoid his first dozen parries and he got lucky with the 13th, and that was that.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I was able to solo the Twin Princes thanks to high-level pyromancy skills. I have 40 INT/FTH and a Pyromancy Glove +10 so is there any reason to put more stats into INT/FTH?

I might start leveling my DEX to increase cast speed but I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

All I have to do now is defeat Nameless King and the final boss and this playthrough is done. It was way easier than my halberd character.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I finished at 26-27 vigor w/o embers nor summons and I got there around the catacombs. At that point it felt like either I was taking some chip damage that I could survive without much issue and heal after, or it was a 2HKO and a few more levels of +20hp per vigor wasn't going to change that. The most difference it would've made is taking a weak hit, not healing, and later hit by part of a 2HKO and being more generous with my estus' fixed most of that.

This isn't tested or anything, just how it felt playing through the game. I also got the Equip Load stat to 20 because I thought it would've made a difference beyond midrolling with Fashion Souls.

e: Correction, I did summon vs the final boss so that I could get Yuria's gear without killing her. I haven't finished Archdragon Peak either, but I'm burned out on DS3 to bother.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DoubleCakes posted:

I was able to solo the Twin Princes thanks to high-level pyromancy skills. I have 40 INT/FTH and a Pyromancy Glove +10 so is there any reason to put more stats into INT/FTH?

I might start leveling my DEX to increase cast speed but I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

All I have to do now is defeat Nameless King and the final boss and this playthrough is done. It was way easier than my halberd character.

Don't bother leveling dex just for faster casting speed. Just wear the ring that gives more cast speed. It makes your cast speed pretend you have a lot more dex than you actually do, and this invisible dex counts toward the casting speed cap for dex, so leveling dex stops helping very quickly, and you aren't going to want to get 40 dex just to be able to skip one ring.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 2, 2016

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Every time I think I like PvP in this game I get parried for over 1600 damage and die in one hit, and I remember how degenerative and stupid it is. :sigh:

I managed to avoid his first dozen parries and he got lucky with the 13th, and that was that.

I don't mind getting parried and hornet ringed, stupid me for letting it happen. I really don't like it when someone using an interesting build gets to half HP and pulls out a rapier and phantom pokes for the win though, that poo poo is getting annoying.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sven posted:

I don't mind getting parried and hornet ringed, stupid me for letting it happen.

It would be stupid if I just mashed R1 and got hit, but I was mixing up all my attacks (rolls, R1, R2, charged R2, whatever) and the dude just got lucky after a ton of tries. I'm not sure what else I can do about it other than not attack or use weapons that I don't have and I'm not specced for since I got invaded in PvE.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is it possible to A) summon Pale Shade in Farron Keep for the gesture, B) aggro Yuria before Abyss Watchers to get Pale Shade to invade in the Keep and in Irithyll for the set and claws, C) pay for Absolution just before Sulyvahn to make Yuria friendly again in time to continue the quest chain?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Internet Kraken posted:

No. The vast majority of weapons can be parried. Very few moves are actually immune to parry. Jumping attacks can be performed with any weapon but are super slow and easy to avoid so they are hardly a solution.

IMO FP fueled weapon arts and fully charged R2s shouldnt be parriable. Theyre already heavily telegraphed, why make them objectively worse than R1 spam?

Ive also noticed that the utility of R1s compared to R2s is all over the place. There is almost not incentive to use R2s (and even less fully charged R2s) as there is in any other souls game. Ds1 got that balance juuuuust right for light weapons.

Except curved sword R2s. Theyve been crap always

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 2, 2016

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Alabaster White posted:

Is it possible to A) summon Pale Shade in Farron Keep for the gesture, B) aggro Yuria before Abyss Watchers to get Pale Shade to invade in the Keep and in Irithyll for the set and claws, C) pay for Absolution just before Sulyvahn to make Yuria friendly again in time to continue the quest chain?

Having just finished my Gesture cheevo, I can at least say that A is possible, since that's where I got it.

Dunno about B and C, tho

Edit: I was expecting her sign to be up by the boss door. It's actually right by the bonfire, in case you can't find it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HaB posted:

Having just finished my Gesture cheevo, I can at least say that A is possible, since that's where I got it.

Dunno about B and C, tho

Edit: I was expecting her sign to be up by the boss door. It's actually right by the bonfire, in case you can't find it.

Oh, I know that's how you get the gesture, I'm just wondering if it's possible to get the gesture AND the Pale Shade gear AND finish Yuria's questline all in one run. I know Heysel's Proper Bow and Sirris' questline are totally mutually exclusive, though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Oh... I found adult crystal lizards. I've been killing their babies? Nooooooo

they are described as "ravenous" so maybe they just turn into big monsters when they get hungry. I feel that way sometimes.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

Yes, I've done this twice and it worked fine. I've also done B & C again in Irithyll so I can get the Pale Shade set, but I made sure to get absolved asap to make sure nothing breaks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

Well first person DS3 looks loving awesome, gotta be a pain in the rear end though.

looks like it's time for a new king's field to me

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Parries are perfectly punishable. If somebody fails 13 parries against you and isn't dead yet you're playing badly. A partial parry results in significant stamina drain and half damage. Parry spam means you should be backstabbing them.
You can also use unparryable attacks (the spin weapon arts, any jump attacks, two-handed heavy weapons [just R2 with Curved Greatswords], whips, spells, ranged weapons, kukris, firebombs, poop).
You can kick them and then R1 with a fast weapon.
You can dead angle with many weapons.

If you're getting one-shot by Hornet Ring ripostes from anything that isn't a heavy weapon you have too little HP/def for PvP and need to fix that.

Basically, play better. A parry spammer is an easy kill. A person mindfully making parry attempts is outplaying you. You need to play differently against somebody with a parry tool out.

Source: A couple hundred hours of invading.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Gearing for PvP and PvE aren't the same and I shouldn't need to keep PvP poo poo in my pocket to avoid being one-shotted by invaders. But I guess it's my fault for using a suboptimal weapon on a casual play through of Lothric Castle.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tykero posted:

Parries are perfectly punishable. If somebody fails 13 parries against you and isn't dead yet you're playing badly. A partial parry results in significant stamina drain and half damage. Parry spam means you should be backstabbing them.
You can also use unparryable attacks (the spin weapon arts, any jump attacks, two-handed heavy weapons [just R2 with Curved Greatswords], whips, spells, ranged weapons, kukris, firebombs, poop).
You can kick them and then R1 with a fast weapon.
You can dead angle with many weapons.

If you're getting one-shot by Hornet Ring ripostes from anything that isn't a heavy weapon you have too little HP/def for PvP and need to fix that.

Basically, play better. A parry spammer is an easy kill. A person mindfully making parry attempts is outplaying you. You need to play differently against somebody with a parry tool out.

Source: A couple hundred hours of invading.

Yeah...no. This might be true if the Caestus didn't exist, but it does, and it has so few recovery frames that you really can't punish it, even with quicker weapons. If they fail the timing they have more than enough time to roll out of the way, or parry again. Hell, even small shield parries are quick enough that this is true if you're using a slower weapon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Except curved sword R2s. Theyve been crap always

Whoa whoa whoa.

Curved sword R2s were amazingly stylish in DS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Caestus parry just recovers WAY too quick. So you have to be very on point with your punishes.

Safest thing is kick to R1. Most weapons that will combo. Running R2 works too. They'll think they're going to parry your running R1 and you'll just smack them.

But it really is annoying how the game basically rewards you heavily for spamming parry.

I had a watchdog invade me and all he was doing was rolling while and trying to parry me when I got close. Then running away to estus. So after five minutes of smacking him around and him running away to estus and him NEVER coming after me, I just turn around and leave. Ok peace, I'll go fight the Crystal Sage then.

THEN he finally comes after me when I'm engaged with enemies, but black crystals out after I smack him a couple more times. My God, what a little bitch that guy was. Just fight me goddamnit. Who cares if you lose?