Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I think his definition of win is the same as Charlie Sheens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The devs making GBS threads in our open drooling mouths is actually incredibly good

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

khy posted:

So I heard the alpha was going to be player building the world. Did that ever happen?

Landmark was literally building pieces of Next but obviously all that work just went up in smoke. I don't think there was going to be any real world-building inside Next, but npc forces that move the front lines eventually build their own poo poo the longer they hold it. Imagine GW2 but instead of limited to specific events, it would be more organic, playing things out with or without player intervention.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

jabro posted:

I think his definition of win is the same as Charlie Sheens.

It's kind of funny, every single post before that one is of people very disappointing about the cancellation and/or feeling betrayed by all the decisions made by the company. Then BAM that guy comes out of nowhere with the most delusional spiel possible.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

I called it a couple years ago that MMORPGs were a fading trend and I really think that is the direction the genre is still heading. The best MMORPGs can do anymore is a month or two of large success but then they drop off drastically after that and become ghost towns from then on out. The only truly successful MMORPG in the last few years has been Final Fantasy XIV.

FF14 is a ghost town, check out some of the non legacy servers.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

crabcakes66 posted:

I don't agree with that. Most of the smaller MMOs trying to separate themselves have been lovely unpolished games that would have failed regardless of any similarities to WoW.

Well I wasn't referring to those kind of games in the first place, I was talking about like, AAA MMOs from established companies. The fact that both Titan and EQN got canceled seems pretty indicative of where the genre is heading. I think the big studios are going to stop trying and all we'll be left with ARE the smaller games. I think the genre as a whole is headed back into niche status.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Kind of lovely if you didn't buy the expensive pack you have to buy it again.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Smaller games and smaller communities could be a good thing. Aside from the theme park trend, all the potentially cool discovery part of MMOs is gone too because of Wikis and the felt need to min/max. That's what made EQNext so seductive to me; there was a possibility of everyone not knowing everything about an encounter before going into it.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I had a bad feeling about EQN ever coming out the day I heard it's name. Seriously, Everquest "Next"?? Just call it Everquest 3. Their calling it "Next" was indicative of their stubborn insistence that it be "new" in some vague, never-really-defined way, which I think doomed the development. Obviously innovation *can* be an important and admirable goal of development, but they never knew wtf the plan was, so any development at all would inevitably seem to trend toward some particular established MMO model which is probably why they scrapped it and started over. "Nooo this is just becoming WoW, it isn't nearly NEXTY enough!!" would be my guess how it went.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

cathead posted:

Well I wasn't referring to those kind of games in the first place, I was talking about like, AAA MMOs from established companies. The fact that both Titan and EQN got canceled seems pretty indicative of where the genre is heading. I think the big studios are going to stop trying and all we'll be left with ARE the smaller games. I think the genre as a whole is headed back into niche status.

They've always been niche except for a period of time in WOW

Vomik fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 15, 2016

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Vomik posted:

If you measure it only in subs then sure but when I think about early UO for instance, there was a huge diversity of play styles in the first year or two. In fact that's pretty much what made it so great. UO kind of became a niche game with emulated servers providing virtually any conceivable permutation of it's various rulesets (which all have like ten players of course).

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Vomik posted:

That was entirely my point. WoW lifted the genre out of obscurity and for a very significant amount of time it was a huge deal in gaming. We're just slowly returning to how things were before.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Except now instead of there being like 3-4 other :airquote:Major:airquote: MMOs on the market like when WoW launched, there's like 2 dozen with significant US/EU players.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

DeathSandwich posted:

Except now instead of there being like 3-4 other :airquote:Major:airquote: MMOs on the market like when WoW launched, there's like 2 dozen with significant US/EU players.

Define significant.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

crabcakes66 posted:

Define significant.

All those people playing those 3-4 MMOs, divided 12 times.

There was like at least 10 MMO games you could play when wow was released. So the only thing that has change is the genre is even more bloated. Its not a bad thing because the same game isn't the best for everyone. Downside alot of games are on the lifeline and the majority of players on some games are somewhat of an ultra grognard.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 17, 2016

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
WoW brought in way more players than the existing pre-WoW market ever had. "Significant" is anything with over like 100,000 players probably.

Outside of WoW, FF14 and MMOs that are huge in, like, Korea only, every other MMO has like, less than 20,000 players and is holding on for dear life. WoW still has what, >5 million?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Wow will boost back up to a retardily huge number with the new xpac and then dwindle back down. They let you buy your sub with gold now, I'm pretty sure they only want to sell you a $40 dollar box now.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Wow will boost back up to a retardily huge number with the new xpac and then dwindle back down. They let you buy your sub with gold now, I'm pretty sure they only want to sell you a $40 dollar box now.

Buying your sub with gold brings blizzard more money than buying it with money.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I really just want to know how long it's going to be before Daybreak goes completely tits up.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kimsemus posted:

I really just want to know how long it's going to be before Daybreak goes completely tits up.

Probably not for awhile, they tapped into a rich vein of zombie cliche.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

Not for a while, apparently Columbus Nova is investing in Gawker despite the 115 million dollar fine. If they can do that, they can afford to keep EQ/Planetside running.

Oh poo poo, they have tons of acquisitions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Nova

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 21, 2016

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Not for a while, apparently Columbus Nova is investing in Gawker despite the 115 million dollar fine. If they can do that, they can afford to keep EQ/Planetside running.

Oh poo poo, they have tons of acquisitions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Nova

Why are they buying all of these lovely half-dead companies? Must be getting them cheap.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kimsemus posted:

Fronts for laundering Russian Mafia money never really go tits up.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

crabcakes66 posted:

Maybe these companies have finally figured out that no one wants another unpolished WoW clone with some gimmick as a selling point.

Nah, because FFXIV exists. And people are eating that poo poo up.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

I had no idea this was launching soon.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Launching with what exactly? Last I checked the "game" was still a mess.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I think the game had been almost the exact same for the last 1 - 1 1/2 years. Is this the first game ever to be launched already in maintenance mode?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

War Eagle posted:

I had no idea this was launching soon.

:hfive: I'll see you on June 8th. Then I'll get frustrated at what could have been and uninstall in 15 minutes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How come I didn't get my invite to this terrible game?!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Huh, surprise surprise I guess. I went to look and no email about on my end. Not even in the spam folder, so who knows. I don't know if I care either.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Trying to decide how I want my name in the credits. Leaning towards either "Brooty Buttzilla" or "Dave Georgeson."

Logic
Jan 8, 2009
I had completely forgot about my wasted $100....thanks for the reminder Daybreak....I haven't played in like 18 months or so, I assume all the promised stuff is not in the game or broken to hell. Is it just gathering a bunch of resources and then building things still?

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

I spent $20, can I graffiti my name on the failed game?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

a real jerk posted:

I spent $20, can I graffiti my name on the failed game?
You can, but it'll disappear after you stop playing because you stop paying plot maintenance cost. :laugh:

jabro posted:

I think the game had been almost the exact same for the last 1 - 1 1/2 years. Is this the first game ever to be launched already in maintenance mode?
Server cost(s... it'll probably only need a single one) cheaper than the amount of money the hundred people playing it will pay? :shrug:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It was fun looking through my previous posts. You can see how kinda hyped I got, only to be increasingly disappointed.

History of MMO development right there. And you'd think I would've learned after all these years.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Freakazoid_ posted:

It was fun looking through my previous posts. You can see how kinda hyped I got, only to be increasingly disappointed.

History of MMO development right there. And you'd think I would've learned after all these years.

Yeah me too. I felt like how can you gently caress up high fidelity Minecraft. They did. For me it was all the weird bullshit you had to do to make things well. The 20 types micropixels was a total drag. Or how things would glue onto other things near but not visually touching. poo poo needs to work the same way every time.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

joebob posted:

I felt like how can you gently caress up high fidelity Minecraft.

By making it high fidelity. If Minecraft is Lego then Landmark is AutoCAD.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Probably not for awhile, they tapped into a rich vein of zombie cliche.

How though? H1Z1 is so bad.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

When smed got pissed people were calling this poo poo and offered a refund to anyone I took that poo poo immediately :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

BadLlama posted:

When smed got pissed people were calling this poo poo and offered a refund to anyone I took that poo poo immediately :smug:

Got mine and they didn't deactivate my account

• Locked thread