Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
can we just go back to one VR thread, it makes no sense for there to be two just so there's one for knifegrab to act like a child in. there's been lots of civil anti-oculus discussion in this thread so the other thread literally just exists for him at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If having a Vive thread is what makes Knifegrab post like a normal human being in this thread, I'm all for it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The Walrus posted:

can we just go back to one VR thread, it makes no sense for there to be two just so there's one for knifegrab to act like a child in. there's been lots of civil anti-oculus discussion in this thread so the other thread literally just exists for him at this point.

This is the best the VR discussion on this board has ever been, don't you even start.

what is this "new wizard game"?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
No sense in talking about Vive things in here, just take it to the Vive thread and keep this Rfit only.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Can we do a poll to see the ratio of vive owners to rift owners?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
waltz of the wizard is the new wizard game, it's a free 'experience' you can waste half an hour in. as I mentioned it's worth your time just for the levitation power which is SO COOL.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

r0ck0 posted:

Can we do a poll to see the ratio of vive owners to rift owners?
I saw this posted on /r/vive last night:
That's from the Steam hardware survey.

Basically across Steam it looks like it's about 3:1 in favor of the Vive as far as final hardware. If you count DK2s it's closer to 2:1. That wouldn't account for a Rift owner who did not use Steam at all on their VR PC, but aside from a few devoted fanboys that seems unlikely to be a significant group among gamers. Obviously those using headsets for non-gaming purposes wouldn't be counted either way.

I'd bet the split is roughly comparable here.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 2, 2016

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Yey new VR thread. But you forgot to mention EVE Valkyrie in the OP. Shame on you! :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I forgot about that. I didn't put in too many oculus store games because so far it's all mostly crappy games and phone ports. I'll throw Eve Valkyrie in there.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

I forgot about that. I didn't put in too many oculus store games because so far it's all mostly crappy games and phone ports. I'll throw Eve Valkyrie in there.

Darknet, Chronus, Pinball FX2 VR, and Technolust are all also very good, and I think all Oculus store only. I could be wrong on Technolust.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm also hesitant to add games to the OP right now because there just aren't any really good VR games yet. Most games are interesting concepts that needed more time to be developed, or they are tech demos that aren't long lasting, or they are just games that are supposed to be interesting just because they are in VR. Then you have the games that were quite clearly just ported from a phone. I might just wait until we start getting some really good games in.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I know that PSVR is kind of persona non grata here, despite what the OP says, but hey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl5o-FqIRIQ

They're going all out for the retro look for the pilots. I can't wait for this dumb game.

I'm intrigued by the concept, I love the McElroys, but I'm not sure where VR comes into play. Is there going to be a later trailer that introduces the VR elements?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Chronos is real and good. Edge of Nowhere is also out on the 6th and looks like a real game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

I'm intrigued by the concept, I love the McElroys, but I'm not sure where VR comes into play. Is there going to be a later trailer that introduces the VR elements?

The VR part is that you play a robot and play golf.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

The VR part is that you play a robot and play golf.

Oh ok then

edit: upon rewatch, I suppose there are nearly two full seconds of first-persony shots of a robot jumping with its arm outstretched, so looks like I'm the dumbo

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lemming posted:

Chronos is real and good. Edge of Nowhere is also out on the 6th and looks like a real game.

I hope Edge of Nowhere is good. After Chronus I've been looking for another good 3rd person VR thing (not counting Lucky's Tale since that's more of a platformer) because that was a way cooler experience than I expected.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

How will StarVR (or any other "minor" competitor) handle the store? Can they use Oculus and Vive's games or they need to build up their own market too?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

The Walrus posted:

I pretty much agree with Mordaedil, talk about vive stuff in the vive thread, talk about rift stuff here, since there is very little discussion for the other platforms outside of rift that happen here anyway. Everyone is happy, everyone wins, and for some people general VR talk is boring but specific VR talk is all they care about.

edit: No sense in the other stuff

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 2, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

The Walrus posted:

huge for us too - whatever trickery they used to make the lab look so good and run so well, I want everyone to be using it going forward

The Lab crashes every few minutes for me, so I'm actually a bit worried about this.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Bremen posted:

The Lab crashes every few minutes for me, so I'm actually a bit worried about this.

Huh weird, the lab has been one of the best experiences in terms of performance for me. No crashes and incredibly smooth gameplay. How VR ready is your computer?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I know that PSVR is kind of persona non grata here, despite what the OP says, but hey.

They're going all out for the retro look for the pilots. I can't wait for this dumb game.

As much as I love the VIVE, the PSVR is by far going to be the first platform to take off. I wouldn't consider it persona non grata at all.

Knifegrab posted:

Valve released their Unity Renderer, the one they used for the lab: http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/604985915045842668

Not huge but pretty cool for developers.

Valve is using Unity instead of Source (2.0)? Well that's awfully telling / damning.

Source has always been kindof a lovely engine, so honestly that's the direction they should go. In-house engines aren't worth it these days.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Knifegrab posted:

Huh weird, the lab has been one of the best experiences in terms of performance for me. No crashes and incredibly smooth gameplay. How VR ready is your computer?

i5-3570 and a GTX 970. I'm well aware that it's not a widespread problem, but for me it crashes randomly (regardless of what I'm doing). Sometimes just walking around in the main area, or playing any of the minigames, or whatever, and it will just crash (I get a crash notification on the monitor, but the Vive just goes black).

Performance is fine (until it crashes) even on a system that's not much above the minimum. I haven't had similar crashes in any other VR stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It does seem weird since you would expect Valve to implement their own SDK on their own engine. I'm starting to worry about them. Every time I see something about Valve, it looks like they are just resting on their laurels as the creators of Steam. Sure they've made SteamVR but they expected a bunch of indie developers to fill up their store with VR games. All they've done was The Lab and that wasn't even in their own engine. The last game they released was Dota 2 in 2013. Besides that it's just The Lab which is a tech demo. I hope they announce something at E3 but I really expected them to have some big first party VR game come out.

Maybe they are just getting out of the game making business. With Unreal being totally free to start out with and Unity taking a similar path, they'd probably have to put forth a lot of effort to do something similar with Source 2.0. What's the point of releasing their own free or cheap to use engine to attract smaller devs when they can just take all the Unity and Unreal games and put them on their store with no effort of their own?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I am pretty confident valve will have its happy little fun project (like the Lab) but will pretty much never release any more games. I would love to be wrong though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My inner child hopes against hope for the day Valve says 'oh hey half life 3, it's out, go download it, oh and it's vr'

but no it'll never happen. it honestly frustrates me so much and I don't get frustrated by anything else in the games industry. why not just admit that you're not working on it anymore?!? it must be super annoying being asked about it all the time, so just fuckin put it to bed already

edit: holoball? holoball. is good. holoball!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cojawfee posted:

It does seem weird since you would expect Valve to implement their own SDK on their own engine. I'm starting to worry about them. Every time I see something about Valve, it looks like they are just resting on their laurels as the creators of Steam. Sure they've made SteamVR but they expected a bunch of indie developers to fill up their store with VR games. All they've done was The Lab and that wasn't even in their own engine. The last game they released was Dota 2 in 2013. Besides that it's just The Lab which is a tech demo. I hope they announce something at E3 but I really expected them to have some big first party VR game come out.

Maybe they are just getting out of the game making business. With Unreal being totally free to start out with and Unity taking a similar path, they'd probably have to put forth a lot of effort to do something similar with Source 2.0. What's the point of releasing their own free or cheap to use engine to attract smaller devs when they can just take all the Unity and Unreal games and put them on their store with no effort of their own?

It is entirely possible Valve is pretty done with the games business, or at least done with games that aren't part of their "hats2play" business model of TF2 and DOTA2 and CS:GO.

However, Valve has always been a company about doing games right, on their own terms. Half-life became the cultural hit it was because they scrapped the whole game and delayed it over a year to start over. Half-life 2 took them like, what, 9 years of development? The episodes were supposed to be a response to how long their game dev takes, (since they iterate on things until they're all perfect, which is good) but even that failed; the episodes took way longer than planned.

So... its entirely possible that valve are actually working on a AAA VR game right now. Something like Half-life 3 or an entirely new Portal-like puzzle-game experience.

But if they are, they won't tell us until its almost done. If anything, their experiences with Half-life 2 leaks and talking about HL3 and now having it be delayed so much that everybody says "Valve can't even make HL3 now the expectations are too impossibly high", I think GabeN has learned that Valve shouldn't say one WORD about a game until its practically finished.

Internally, Valve is known for telling their developers that whatever your favorite game feature is, its going to be cut. Its something you have to prepare yourself as a creator. But while the creators understand this; fans definitely don't.

You say "we're building a game where you'll do this and this" and then you iterate on it and decide some of those things don't work, but then the fans go "where was that stuff?" and you risk looking like Molyneux.

So considering how exceptionally long valve takes and how much they iterate and change their games designs over time, I think they're just going to keep everything completely top-secret until its practically ready to hit stores.

So either Valve is done with games, or Valve is currently working on an absolutely mind-blowing VR game but it'll take 6 years and we won't hear about it until 6 years from now.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
The Source 2 update for Dota2 was pretty recent, and wasn't really necessary (they didn't add any really special features or anything when they made the change). And they just added support for the Vulkan graphic drivers in the past month or so. Seems odd to give up on Source 2 after so much work. I've got my fingers crossed they release it when they release their VR game.

I thought the Robot Repair part of The Lab was done using Source 2?

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 2, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Walrus posted:

My inner child hopes against hope for the day Valve says 'oh hey half life 3, it's out, go download it, oh and it's vr'

but no it'll never happen. it honestly frustrates me so much and I don't get frustrated by anything else in the games industry. why not just admit that you're not working on it anymore?!? it must be super annoying being asked about it all the time, so just fuckin put it to bed already

edit: holoball? holoball. is good. holoball!

I'd be OK if they just like wrote a short story that wrapped up series. Leaving it on a stupid lovely cliffhanger is the worst.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Eli nooooo :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am sort of bad for not playing EP 1 or 2 yet, (hell it took me years to beat just HL2 itself).

However considering how long it will be until anything comes out again, maybe it's good that I can go and play them for the first time, and still get the excitement, joy, and disappointment as it's not like anything has come to surpass it really.

Overall I have been waiting until possibly the HL2 VR mod that worked fantastic with the Hydra, gets updated to work on the Vive so I can strap in on the Omni and enjoy HL2 the way it should be played.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't know why you'd think PSVR is persona on grata here. If anything, PSVR is the thing that can save the VR market. Find any place around the internet that is discussing VR and you'll still find doubters who think it is a waste of time and a fad. There's people who think it's interesting but is still years away from being mainstream due to how expensive it is. You've got people who have VR but are disappointed because there isn't much content. Finally there are the people who have VR but their device is defective or broken and they make posts complaining about their inability to get HTC or Oculus to do anything about it. That's a lot of people to be countered by the small number of people who both have VR and love it. It was mentioned earlier that only .09% of people on Steam have a Vive and .06% have a rift. This is a really small market made up of very vocal people. I really hope that PSVR is good and comes out without any hitches. We need a really good release that gets VR into regular people's homes to counter all the "VR is here, but it's actually dead" articles you see on various blogs and gaming news sites.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Here's hoping my steam friends list isn't putting two and two together when they see me playing virtual desktop then something else five minutes later.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

The Walrus posted:

Here's hoping my steam friends list isn't putting two and two together when they see me playing virtual desktop then something else five minutes later.

Heh. Finally, something Oculus Home is good for!

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Sooooo this could change everything gaming and VR eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pFAgf3PUK8

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jubjub64 posted:

Sooooo this could change everything gaming and VR eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pFAgf3PUK8

Man I really hate the trend of ripping off the names of famous mathematicians or scientists for companies.

Tesla and Euclid are upset. :argh:

I dunno about all this. I've heard people say big things about voxel engines and time and again it doesn't manage to actually turn into a proper game, same with ray-casting. There's a reason everybody in the entire industry uses raster graphics.

Also "world first new virtual life-form, made of animted point cloud data"

Dude, voxels have been a thing for yeaaaaaaaaars. He's talking like they discovered Photogrammetry and Voxels, but that's totally BS.

He also says that a few people were able to put together a demo in a couple months using their voxel system, but big computer games take thousands of people. That's another bullshit statement. A few people can put together a demo using raster graphics and Unity too. Proper polished AAA games take thousands of people because of all the content, detail, polish, and gameplay mechanics you have to design and test. A quick render demo isn't at all representative of the level of effort of a full game.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 2, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Exactly on point.

I have seen a ton of these sort of "unlimited detail Vozel Engine" demo's over the years. They looks Visually...... Impresivish? But the animation always seems like it was created from a Gif, and not a single demo actually looks anything different then just being a demo.

No actual gameplay (or anything that looks close to fun), no traction shown after said presentation, nothing seems to ever happen because if it was soo drat revolutionary and easy, people would use it and there is a reason people don't. (as I am not a developer, I haven't a clue but there must be a reason no a single one has taken off given they have been shown easily a good handful of times over the last 10 years).

Until someone actually makes a full fun game out of one of these engines, and it is really good, it just isn't going to pick up steam.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Every "unlimited detail" graphics engine I've seen always seems to be based on the fact that they always a lot of the same model. It loads one model in and then duplicates it hundreds of times. I'm pretty sure rendering with polygons allows for cheaply duplicating one mesh several times these days. The last one was the guy (was it this same guy?) who said it definitely was NOT voxels it was pixel atoms and allowed for infinite objects in a scene. Then he basically just had endless rows of the exact same elephant statue and a few other things. His scene had lots of objects in it but only a few unique things. This guy's demo is the exact same. It's all the same character models all doing the same animation at the same time but maybe at different sizes. He doesn't seem to explain how he's able to have "infinite" just because it's pixel atoms. If anything, I would think that would require even more powerful hardware.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
As a 3D professional, I love his example of "look at this hosed up tree base!! trees don't look like this!" and then "look, we scanned a real tree!" as though that helps development at all. If a modeler wanted to model a specific tree, they could do so easily, and then manipulate the materials and properties of it way easier than with stupid point cloud data.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
My only metric for how fun a game is is whether or not they scanned a real tree, so I'm on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The "Unlimited Detail" engine WAS Euclideon. They've just re-branded it for VR.