Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

dog days are over posted:

I really don't see them making more of these unless it does gangbusters in America.

Same here. I feel like Blizzard can just check "we did a movie" off their list and will move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
If it was like 7 years ago I could imagine them running the movies as a loss leader if they spiked subscriptions with it.

Like if they make back 90% of the movie's budget but then get 5 million new/returning subscribers to the game it would be worth it to put out a sequel to the movie every year even if they never directly made money from movie tickets.

In 2016 I don't know that anything would make people play wow though.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I think this might technically make back its budget, off international sales. The margin will probably be pretty small, I just don't think it'll be a John Carter-level fiasco.

It wouldn't surprise me if Blizzard continues to pursue narrative adaptations, they'd just have to not do it the way they did this time.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
The Conjuring 2 is going to crush this stinking turd on opening weekend.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
So I just watched it with some buddies. It's a mess, but watchable I guess. I went in expecting it to be god drat awful, but it ain't that bad. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying it's a good movie, far from it. It just feels like a bunch of scenes that are supposed to be important and were stitched together, with little lead up or context (if you don't know the lore of the games).

If anyone ever read up on the hellish development of the game "Homefront"; there was a point during the development where they brought in a bunch of Hollywood directors (or CoD developers, not sure) to help with the single player campaign of that game. Their advice basically boiled down to them asking the leveldesigners, "where is the moment?", every 5 steps that a player would make in a level. This movie kind of feels like it was made on that exact principle. They wanted to cram in the entire campaign of Warcraft 1 (along with a some heavy retcons, especially near the end) into one movie, so they jump from one important plot point to the other. They basically completely skip the actual war and refrain from almost any character building. As someone that gave a poo poo about the Warcraft lore up until the third WoW expansion, I could follow the movie just fine. But oh boy, I really wonder what someone without actually knowing anything about the story of Warcraft would make of this stitched together mess.

Some scenes are also cut abruptly short, like literally not even a split second after someone finishes a line (with the conversation not even feeling finished) it cuts to an entirely different scene. It's just so drat jarring at times. For the rest, the movie is really pretty to watch. Maybe it was the theater that I was at, but the contrasts weren't as high as in the trailers (which I consider a good thing). The set pieces along with the blending of actors with CGI is also quite nicely done when you see it in motion, compared to the horrible screenshots.

Batham fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 2, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Batham posted:

So I just watched it with some buddies. It's a mess, but watchable I guess. I went in expecting it to be god drat awful, but it ain't that bad. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying it's a good movie, far from it. It just feels like a bunch of scenes that are supposed to be important and stitched together with little lead up or context.

If anyone ever read up on the hellish development of the game "Homefront"; there was a point during the development where they brought in a bunch of Hollywood directors (or CoD developers, not sure) to help with the single player campaign of that game. Their advice basically boiled down to them asking the leveldesigners, "where is the moment?", every 5 steps that a player would make in a level. This movie kind of feels like it was made with that exact principle. They wanted to cram in the entire campaign of Warcraft 1 (along with a some heavy retcons, especially near the end) into one movie, so they jump from one important plot point to the other. They basically completely skip the actual war and refrain from almost any character building. As someone that gave a poo poo about the Warcraft lore up until the third of WoW's expansion, I could follow the movie just fine. But oh boy, I really wonder what someone without actually knowing anything about the story of Warcraft would make of this stitched together mess.

Some scenes are also cut abruptly short, like literally not even a split second after someone finishes a line (with the conversation not even feeling finished) it cuts to an entirely different scene. It's just so drat jarring at times. For the rest, the movie is really pretty to watch. Maybe it was the theater that I was at, but the contrasts weren't as high as in the trailers (which I consider a good thing). The set pieces along with the blending of actors with CGI is also quite nicely done when you see it in motion, compared to the horrible screenshots.

This just sounds mediocre, but in that extra horrible way where there's nothing even worth making fun of.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Of course it is, the story in Blizzard games are the least bit marketable pieces they create in their games. They just know how to polish a turd until it's gold.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
After having slept over it, I guess I can compare the movie a lot to the Eragon movie in more than one way... without the first half hour of Eragon where they build up the main character and the dragon a bit. Like if they split this movie up into two movies and had actually slowed down a bit to do some character building, I could see this actually being decent. Batman V Superman feels like it tries to cramp less into it than this movie.

In fact, it think it would've been perfect if they merged Warcraft 1 + 2 into 3 movies, considering how they went by it in this movie.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This just sounds mediocre, but in that extra horrible way where there's nothing even worth making fun of.

Yes, exactly.

Edit:
I like the retcon of the ending though. In Warcraft 1, there was no real overarching plot and the end basically depended on which side you played as. It was later set in stone that the orc campaign was the real one and that the alliance king was assassinated during the final siege of Stormwind. Now, it's basically that all of Stormwind's allies went "We're prepared to commit every last soldier of Stormwind to this" and left them out to dry.

When 18 of their 21 legions are wiped out; they ride out with their last 3 legions in a final, desperate assault to attack the smaller force of orcs guarding the Dark Portal. They do this in the hope to prevent the dark portal from being opened again. While this prevents that the entire orc population is able to make their way to Azeroth, thus preventing the entire continent from being overrun, Stormwind sacrifices its entire last legions and king to do so.

The king also isn't simply betrayed by Garona. As the orcs close in on the last few remaining soldiers of Stormwind, after managing to stop the portal from reopening, the king realizes that they're not getting out of there. Considering how slaying a king would restore a lot of the trust and respect that the orc leaders had lost over the duration of the movie (the use of fel magic being increasingly frowned upon, questionable acts of honor, ect...), the king basically tells Garona to gut him. This steals the orc leaders from the honor, while allowing Garona to survive (she was fighting along side the alliance soldiers at the end, so basically every orc knew she switched sides) and gain a voice amongst the orc population.

I don't know about you guys, but I prefer this ending compared to the other, previous one.

Batham fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 2, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Also, we got a WoW movie, it's called Avatar.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Batham posted:

SPOILERS.

That ending doesn't sound bad at all, honestly.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A good part of the movie is when Lothar and Fel-Blackhand face off for a battle to the death and Lothar just slides between his legs and slices Blackhand's balls open. Mak'gora!!!

Last third of this movie is definitely better than the rest, but that's still not saying much. And also agreed with there being some weird and amateur scene-switching.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Is there a Leroy Jenikins moment in this movie? That's the only part I really care about.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mappo posted:

Is there a Leroy Jenikins moment in this movie? That's the only part I really care about.

Well, from what I'm hearing the movie rushed into theatres before it was ready.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
How many memes per minute does this movie have on average?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Let Pixar work on it, watch Blizzard get another billion to sleep on.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They're actually really, really subtle about referencing stuff. It's fine. There's very few actual references. No Leeroy.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
The most egregious "hey fans!" moment is the briefest of cameos by a murloc making the noise.

There's also some lingering aerial shots of certain locations clearly designed more for wow players to ooh and ahh at than to set the scene.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
What about "zug zug"??

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
"Ready to work!"
Adorable

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kek

E:

Featurette on the Horde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBlA4l8it4o

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 2, 2016

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Movie needs more booterang.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Everyone knew this movie was going to loving suck but I kind of feel bad for Duncan Jones with the savage reviews. He seemed really passionate about this.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Again, it isn't a terrible movie. It just needs to either be cut down to size or given a much longer playtime to give people a shot at understanding what the heck is going on. Also some polish on the CGI.

And a few more takes with a couple of the actors. Or a lot more takes. Maybe a slightly rewritten script in general.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

evilmiera posted:

Again, it isn't a terrible movie. It just needs to either be cut down to size or given a much longer playtime to give people a shot at understanding what the heck is going on. Also some polish on the CGI.

And a few more takes with a couple of the actors. Or a lot more takes. Maybe a slightly rewritten script in general.

So .... everything about it? :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So .... everything about it? :v:

No, just the visuals, acting and plot. :suicide:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The movie could have been less terrible if it had picked a story to tell (instead of what, 4?) and cut down on the location fanservice by about a 100%. If all the fanservice would have been on the level of Grom just running around in the background then it might even have been good.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilmiera posted:

People keep talking about this movie being inaccessible to the naive viewer but I wonder if that was ever a concern.

Like there was always scenes in harry potter movies that made enough sense as filmed to not be totally baffling but really left out a ton and kinda required you had read the book to really get who someone was or what they had just done. And kinda the logic was that harry potter sold 400 million copies and maybe it was fine to film for the readers as long as it didn't go totally off the rails into literal incomprehensible to nonreaders.

Like, did blizzard ever really think they were going to have an audience that was hugely out of their market? Like Wow is the second best selling computer game ever in history, and if you add in players of warcraft 1-3 and hearthstone and whatever else maybe they just don't expect to need to get that many total outsiders in on this. Like they did the harry potter thing of "lets film this coherent enough without knowing the story but come on, everyone watching this knows the story or is a young child that doesn't care, we won't need to spend 10 minutes explaining this thing people know from the original"

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Immortan posted:

Everyone knew this movie was going to loving suck but I kind of feel bad for Duncan Jones with the savage reviews. He seemed really passionate about this.

Wonder if it makes him feel better when a lot of reviews include a line like "the director tries hard and does the best he can with what he's got (which isn't much)"

He seems happy that it's getting a lot of positive fan reviews, at least :unsmith:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

peer posted:

He seems happy that it's getting a lot of positive fan reviews, at least :unsmith:

this makes me feel even worse because most fans you can poo poo down their gullet and they'll call it gourmet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People keep talking about this movie being inaccessible to the naive viewer but I wonder if that was ever a concern.

I saw it on Monday with my girlfriend who absolutely loves Warcraft. I have no idea at all how a person who didn't know the story already would know what the hell was going on for some big chunks of it. It's like the film goes from set piece to set piece and the things that happened in the last set piece don't necessarily lead in to what's just happening.
Lots of troops and places are mentioned as being lost but there's really no display of this in the film. It's sort of like in Rome where every battle takes place off screen (because they're expensive) but nobody tells you they've happened.

I'm surprised too that people are saying the CGI was good. There were bits where an orc rode a horse and where one snapped a man's neck where you could see them clipping through each other. It's not as bad as it could be but it definitely felt unreal and didn't really work. Why make the dwarfs CGI as well, I don't understand that at all!

The entire film just doesn't work though. There's so many instances of characters knowing things that they shouldn't and weird story points that make no sense.
Girona is freed by Durotan. That's fine character wise. But she was just chained up in the forest the humans were raiding. Why was she there?
She tells us she's cursed. I guess this is because she's part human. How did that happen and why does nobody ask her?

When they capture Khadgar you learn "he's in the Kirin Tor!". Now I know who that is because I've played the games but there's really no explanation for what that means until much later.

There's a huge bit where Medivh cuts off the main guy's unrealistically old son from the rest of the humans so the son dies. The main guy is shouting and screaming for Medivh to save him but nothing happens and son gets killed. We learn Medivh was unconcious so he couldn't do anything about it.
Yet the main character suddenly knows that Medivh is a baddy from this scene. There's a bit later on where Khadgar sees that Medivh's eyes have turned green but the main guy is never told and isn't around when that happens.
That said the scene is ruined anyway because we learn there's a griffon just nearby. Why not call for that instead?!

Doomhammer is on a hill talking to Gul'dan and says that the Frostwolves could be turned to serve Gul'dan again if they witnessed Doomhammer being given the gift of Fel. Gul'dan agrees.
The next scene is the Frostwolves all being killed by green orcs and Doomhammer allows Durotan's wife to escape. How did it go from one to the other? Why at no point are we shown an orc going from brown to green to show the Fel corrupting them? Other than perhaps Blackhand but it completely changes him.
In a similar vein Durotan comes to have a fight with Gul'dan and Gul'dan cheats, killing him with magic. People are mad about this, but Gul'dan kills 3 other orcs with magic and it just gets totally forgotten. I feel like this was to lay the groundwork for the fight between Main Guy and Blackhand but why did Gul'dan get away with just murdering Durotan and then later not do the exact same thing with the human?

The portal is opened to Outland and the orcs are on their way through. Suddenly it changes to Stormwind and the king knows it's the Guardian who did it. He didn't know the Guardian created the portal in the first place. That's fine, who else would have the power to do it? But did the king ask for that to happen to release the hostages? It seemed like what was happening was that they were just opening the portal for the orcs to come to Stormwind and kill everyone.

The film is filled with minute after minute of stuff like this. You can sort of explain it away but only because I already know the story, for the most part. If I didn't it'd just be really bizzare. They're not plot holes or anything, it just feels weird.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Taear posted:

I saw it on Monday with my girlfriend who absolutely loves Warcraft. I have no idea at all how a person who didn't know the story already would know what the hell was going on for some big chunks of it
The film is filled with minute after minute of stuff like this. You can sort of explain it away but only because I already know the story, for the most part. If I didn't it'd just be really bizzare. They're not plot holes or anything, it just feels weird.

That is kinda what i mean though. A lot of the posts in this thread so far have been "Well of course *I* know who these people are but what about the naive viewer" and never posts from that naive viewer and I wonder if there ever was going to be that guy in the first place.

Like is that guy going to this movie in the first place? Like I'm sure ideal is some perfect thing where every movie is for every person but I wonder if they did the demographics out for who was even gonna buy tickets and figured out they already have 50 million people that know who guldan is and that the people that don't aren't coming anyway and decided it's fine if they skip the scene introducing that stuff.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is kinda what i mean though. A lot of the posts in this thread so far have been "Well of course *I* know who these people are but what about the naive viewer" and never posts from that naive viewer and I wonder if there ever was going to be that guy in the first place.

Like is that guy going to this movie in the first place? Like I'm sure ideal is some perfect thing where every movie is for every person but I wonder if they did the demographics out for who was even gonna buy tickets and figured out they already have 50 million people that know who guldan is and that the people that don't aren't coming anyway and decided it's fine if they skip the scene introducing that stuff.

Usually making a film for people who're just familiar with the core story doesn't work out. See: the marketing for John Carter which assumed everyone knew what it was and fell flat.

Even knowing what's going on, as my spoilers say, it doesn't really make sense.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

At Regal Theaters if you buy a ticket you get a free digital copy of WoW

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I used to play the original Warcraft: Orcs & Humans back in the mid 90s but I only have the vaguest memories of that so I'm pretty much a naive viewer but the film doesn't come out in Australia for another 2 weeks.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
MEDIVH: "BRB, Karazhan"

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I used to play the original Warcraft: Orcs & Humans back in the mid 90s but I only have the vaguest memories of that so I'm pretty much a naive viewer but the film doesn't come out in Australia for another 2 weeks.

You don't need to worry. They retrofitted all the WoW lore to it, so it only kinda resembles what you might remember anyway.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

that's when you end up with stuff like the dune movie where they needed to have the little glossary to explain how they have no idea how to do exposition all the random names/titles and poo poo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

They're actually really, really subtle about referencing stuff. It's fine. There's very few actual references. No Leeroy.

He was in there at one point but he got cut

https://twitter.com/garywhitta/status/598189480474873856

:argh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Only if you ignore the location porn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Only if you ignore the location porn.

LOOK at this tower. Just. LOOK.

• Locked thread