Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

OldSenileGuy posted:

The TiVo Roamio OTA is now available with lifetime service. I've never used the Channelmaster myself, but the Tivo is probably better.

But there's a fee, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

But there's a fee, right?

No monthly fees if you get the lifetime service. It's about $100 more than the ChannelMaster, but I think the ChannelMaster doesn't come with any storage. So assuming you needed to buy a hard drive for the ChannelMaster, the price difference would be somewhat negligible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Roamio is amazing and you can use TiVo minis for other rooms.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
The Bolt is super nice, but obviously not a cheap option especially /w lifetime.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Am I poo poo out luck if a TV station is more than 60 miles away? I can get all of the major networks over the air except ABC because its the farthest :(

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
A rooftop antenna can catch 60 miles away.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
My attic antenna pulls in an NBC station from about 70 miles out well about 97% if the time.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Time to go venture into the attic and see how easy it'll be to fish a cable down, then. Thanks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can also do roof mount for even greater distances.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nvida just announced today that they are partnering with Plex and that the Shield TV can be turned into a full Plex server.

http://www.androidcentral.com/coming-nvidia-shield-tv-32-update-brings-full-stand-alone-plex-media-server-support-and-more

quote:

You'll be able to stream HD video using Plex to any other connected and authorized device directly from the Shield TV with no PC required to act as a server. Using the Shield TV Pro's 500GB internal storage, attached USB storage (folks who bought the 16GB model, have no fear) or even a mounted network storage device to hold all your videos, the included Plex server can stream multiple simultaneous streams using the Shield TV's beefy hardware. Says the Plex team:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

bull3964 posted:

Nvida just announced today that they are partnering with Plex and that the Shield TV can be turned into a full Plex server.

http://www.androidcentral.com/coming-nvidia-shield-tv-32-update-brings-full-stand-alone-plex-media-server-support-and-more

Holy poo poo. So Shield owners can use Plex without having to keep a server PC on. That's big.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The mapping of NAS shares is great too. Just buy a cheap Synology for mass storage, map the shield to it in Plex, done.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You could just build your own synology box for really cheap and do plex to anything.

Add a flash drive and your hard drives. Spend a little more if you want a diff case and psu.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's only $100 cheaper (less if you added a flash boot drive) and about 3x the footprint of my DS216+.

Sometimes DIY makes sense, but there's s something to be said about plugging in a solution and having it work with zero futzing around.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bull3964 posted:

That's only $100 cheaper (less if you added a flash boot drive) and about 3x the footprint of my DS216+.

Sometimes DIY makes sense, but there's s something to be said about plugging in a solution and having it work with zero futzing around.

That would support 6 hard drives and be much much much faster than an ds216+. It would be faster than the $800 1515+

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

What does "fast" matter in this context?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

What does "fast" matter in this context?

Transcoding performance.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The ShieldTV is doing the transcoding in this context.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Or in most cases direct playing

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Yea but it hought you are talking about having a shield tv and having a synology and then transferring the video over the network to the shieldtv and it transcoding it and then transferring it to another device for playback. When you can just run the server directly on a synology.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Synology doesn't natively do Plex.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

"There are NASes that you can run Plex on" isn't new or interesting information. "You can run Plex server on the Shield and have it pull the media from whatever network location" is, and that's what everyone else is talking about re: cheap and lovely NASes.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
If I was going the Synology route at home that would be pretty cool. Just get a -j model and who cares if it can transcode or not because the Shield would handle it. Not sure how many streams or what bitrate it can handle but it can't be worse than the Synology CPUs in the consumer line.

I already have a custom built NAS but at least I can tell my brother or a friend to just pickup something easy then configure it for them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Synology doesn't natively do Plex.

Yes it does

Downloads are on their website. I think the default package center even offers it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

Yes it does

Downloads are on their website. I think the default package center even offers it.

Huh. could have swore it was a solution with much hacking needed.

Regardless, the Shield has custom silicon to deal with the transcoding rather than relying on a general use processor, so it's likely not much will be able to touch it performance wise.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
This seems like the place to ask a content buying question:
I got the first 6 season of Walking Dead from Zune Video/Xbox Video/Microsoft TV & Movies (gently caress you and your name changes, Microsoft) because I had an Xbox and it was convenient. Now that the Xbox is gone, it's a bit of a liability as my Windows PC and HTPC are the only devices that can stream those shows.

I was planning on buying the first season of Preacher, so now is a good time to switch services. I was going to get it from Amazon. Is there any other service I should consider? I don't use iDevices, so iTunes is out.

Right now it will mostly be watched on my Windows HTPC and pretty much anything will work, but I have vague ideas about replacing it with a Roku or Chromecast or other streaming device in the future. I'd like to cover as many bases as I can.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Buy it on Google Play, pay for it with Opinion Rewards, watch it on a $35 Chromecast. gently caress Amazon video.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TheScott2K posted:

Buy it on Google Play, pay for it with Opinion Rewards, watch it on a $35 Chromecast. gently caress Amazon video.

Oh, didn't even think of that. I'm an Android user, so that's perfect.

Also, I've never gotten Opinion Rewards to work. :sigh:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone have SlingTV? I'm doing the free week, using it on my FireTV. It doesn't remember my quality settings when I exit the app. Is this normal? Will I have to change it to lower quality every time I open it?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
So the day finally arrived, the day when my cable company made everything digital and I can no longer get any channels just from plugging the cable into the TV...which makes me very happy I got my antenna setup a few months back woohoo, can't take those channels away.

At first it was just QVC and CSpan that went digital only, then they all give that "sorry charlie you'll need a dig box to decode these" message.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tyson Tomko posted:

So the day finally arrived, the day when my cable company made everything digital and I can no longer get any channels just from plugging the cable into the TV...which makes me very happy I got my antenna setup a few months back woohoo, can't take those channels away.

At first it was just QVC and CSpan that went digital only, then they all give that "sorry charlie you'll need a dig box to decode these" message.

Seriously, I cut cable before it was cool, and after the initial withdrawls of Sundays watching History Channel (back then it was still actually about history), I haven't missed it at all.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^ Also old History Channel yes! I used to record Modern Marvels on VHS because that show ruled. The episode on hydraulics blew my mind something fierce.

Oh me too and me too. It was just a nice transition/gift being able to surf my dozen random channels or so after dropping directv years ago.

-- I checked with my buddy on the other side of town and his "free" channels are now the same way so it's not just me. It was good while it lasted, but we're pretty solidly setup with streaming/plex/etc so it'll work out. It's kind of a blessing though, because before when I used to watch the news on NBC/PBS I'd just leave it on cable and get crappy SD (like staticy at times) and deal with it instead of switching over to my antenna with its 720p/1080p versions. 1st world problem for sure but times are good!

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 29, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone have SlingTV? I'm doing the free week, using it on my FireTV. It doesn't remember my quality settings when I exit the app. Is this normal? Will I have to change it to lower quality every time I open it?

You may want to look at the playstation vuetv stuff instead, it's way better than Sling and works on the fire tv as well.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

SlingTV has improved in this past year. I tried to use it to watch the NBA playoffs 2 years ago and it was complete dogshit. The most popular games would be utterly unwatchable. This years' playoffs, including some of the highest rated games ever, were perfect clear HD streams.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm very happy to hear it has improved. I'm hoping that when my cable contract is up, they'll be some delay before watchespn (provided my cable company) stops working also, because it's right before college football season.

But sling TV is the obvious backup.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Maneki Neko posted:

You may want to look at the playstation vuetv stuff instead, it's way better than Sling and works on the fire tv as well.

I just did the free trials on both. Vue on my ps3 is poo poo. Slow gui, lousy image quality. The same channels looks perfect on sling tv via appletv.

If vue is better on a different piece of hardware (firetv?). It would be the winner.

If you dont care about dvr, sling is a better value.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Does anyone know if there is a way to sign up for Playstation Vue in a market with local channels for the Access without local channels? The only option I see is the $39 plan but I have a TiVo for local channels and have no interest in getting rid of it, I don't want to pay $10 a month for local channels that I wouldn't use.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to sign up for Playstation Vue in a market with local channels for the Access without local channels? The only option I see is the $39 plan but I have a TiVo for local channels and have no interest in getting rid of it, I don't want to pay $10 a month for local channels that I wouldn't use.

I was able to enter a different zip code when signing up and it gave me the channel package for that area. Lots of areas still don't have local channels, so I wouldn't think it would be hard to trick the system.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Has anybody tried splitting a Sling TV account with friends? Now that they have a tier that can be accessed on three devices at a time, I wouldn't mind signing back up if I could get the price down to $8.33 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Call Me Charlie posted:

Has anybody tried splitting a Sling TV account with friends? Now that they have a tier that can be accessed on three devices at a time, I wouldn't mind signing back up if I could get the price down to $8.33 a month.

I've read they have some kind of ip restrictions in place though if you are all in the same geographic area all of the time it's probably not an issue. If you have friends around the country and you are all constantly watching at the same time from different areas they may (or may not) catch on in which case you could get TOS'd off the service.

The bigger problem is the shared tier doesn't have ESPN (or Disney, which is a big deal for most parents).