Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I'd like to thank everyone for the suggestions, I used the Prisoner's chain, embers and tears of denial copiously, along with a good amount of gitting gud and finally beat soul of cinder! :woop:
A few considerations for the future: am I going to be severely gimped by using a raw astora sword and relying on the weapon buffs (carthus, crystal, lightning etc) for the rare times I have to melee? I only have 14 str/12 dex, do I upgrade them or can I just invest in being the glassiest cannon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Sellsword Twinblades are hilariously overpowered. I'm doing my first shieldless run (something I only did up to O&S in DS1 because I always lose motivation to finish the game after them) and they make it trivial. I just treat the game like Bloodborne and almost everything is trivial.

This game is also a lot less linear than I felt like it was on my first run. You can really take your time and make a lot of choices once you get to the Crucifixion Woods. I beat the Crystal Sage with +7 Twinblades (my first time soloing him AND beating on the first try) and just took out the Deacons at +8 (having soloed the Dancer for the first time and beating her before the first three Lords). Yes, the beginning and end of the games are both linear, but you can really take your time to upgrade your weapons.

Plus doing a pure Dex build means I was able to level up my HP and stamina a lot early on. Overall it's definitely been my favorite build. And I built it after my gf so she gets to choose all the fashion souls :3:.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

MokBa posted:

Sellsword Twinblades are hilariously overpowered. I'm doing my first shieldless run (something I only did up to O&S in DS1 because I always lose motivation to finish the game after them) and they make it trivial. I just treat the game like Bloodborne and almost everything is trivial.

This game is also a lot less linear than I felt like it was on my first run. You can really take your time and make a lot of choices once you get to the Crucifixion Woods. I beat the Crystal Sage with +7 Twinblades (my first time soloing him AND beating on the first try) and just took out the Deacons at +8 (having soloed the Dancer for the first time and beating her before the first three Lords). Yes, the beginning and end of the games are both linear, but you can really take your time to upgrade your weapons.

Plus doing a pure Dex build means I was able to level up my HP and stamina a lot early on. Overall it's definitely been my favorite build. And I built it after my gf so she gets to choose all the fashion souls :3:.

Dex builds are easier in DS1 and 3 then 2 I think. I had trouble getting my rapier/dagger build up and running in 2 (primarily because I couldn't parry certain enemies reliably enough) but in 3 it's pretty easy. Never used any of the paired weapons in DS3 for very long though. Either way I basically ran rough shot over stuff with a Dex/Int char that rolled and parried almost exclusively in both games. Oddly enough though, I think I'm finding a 40/40 quality build to be one of my favorites. I have access to lots of stuff, can still roll around, and rely mainly on 1-handers to do decent damage. Also can mix in ranged options. Good fun. One thing I've always liked about the souls games, though, is that a lot of builds are viable.

Also, I think this game has a lot of really nicely designed areas. They may seem linear at first - a bit like BB in my opinion - but then you realize how densely packed some of these places are.

And the twinblades are powerful, but if you miss your spin/get parried during it as a dex fighter with low/moderate vigor during a duel your opponent will punish you.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fire Barrel posted:

Also, I think this game has a lot of really nicely designed areas.

the whole world is incredibly well designed imo, I love going to places with really good views where you can see how multiple different areas fit together

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dex builds in DS2 were hosed from the get go when they decided to gimp Dex scaling.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
3 has too many motherfucking gothic cathedrals and also the areas are arranged very linearly, with few short branching paths here and there. Inside the areas themselves there's a bunch of neat interconnectivity and looping back into itself, but the areas don't connect to each other in any other way than "here's start, there's the end, and after that, the next area". Going to a balcony to see all the areas you've visited isn't enough.

That's why I still like the first Dark Souls best. The areas connect to each other in so many ways that you can pretty much go through the game however you please once you know your way around.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dex was good in dark souls 2

katanas, spears, rapiers, bunch of good choices

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Power stancing a rapier and a katana gave you an insane array of attacks that made you really lovely to deal with in DKS2 PVP (kind of similar to gotthard's now that I think about it).

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

If I recall, rapiers also did solid damage too. Espada Ropera packed quite a punch. Didn't really like that they gave so many the R2 parry even while in the right hand though.

Always wish they had a "power stance" type of mode for sword in board in 2. Could've done some interesting things with it.

Gazaar posted:

Power stancing a rapier and a katana gave you an insane array of attacks that made you really lovely to deal with in DKS2 PVP (kind of similar to gotthard's now that I think about it).

I've actually seen some people trying to replicate this in 3. Normal rapier in the left hand, katana in the right. Doesn't seem quite as useful.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Dex builds in DS2 were hosed from the get go when they decided to gimp Dex scaling.

No, no they weren't. Rapier is and always has been one of the strongest weapons in that game, especially with the old leo ring. Spears were also very good, especially the basic spear/partizan since they have strike damage r2s. Katanas were crazy good, and have only been buffed over time.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

:agreed:

Power-stancing dual +10 rapiers was pretty fun

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Tykero posted:

Parries are perfectly punishable. If somebody fails 13 parries against you and isn't dead yet you're playing badly. A partial parry results in significant stamina drain and half damage. Parry spam means you should be backstabbing them.
You can also use unparryable attacks (the spin weapon arts, any jump attacks, two-handed heavy weapons [just R2 with Curved Greatswords], whips, spells, ranged weapons, kukris, firebombs, poop).
You can kick them and then R1 with a fast weapon.
You can dead angle with many weapons.

If you're getting one-shot by Hornet Ring ripostes from anything that isn't a heavy weapon you have too little HP/def for PvP and need to fix that.

Basically, play better. A parry spammer is an easy kill. A person mindfully making parry attempts is outplaying you. You need to play differently against somebody with a parry tool out.

Source: A couple hundred hours of invading.

That's the same load of parry apologist screed I see every time. Having to invest 40+ into vigor is not a reasonable expectation, and outright impossible for caster builds if they want to use anything other than a raw rear end.

As has been stated multiple times, unparryable attacks are either laughably slow (jumping attacks) or limited to heavy weapons, which comprise, what, maybe 1/4 of the weapons in the game? The curved sword spin arts are a weird anomaly to this and are cool, wish that went for more weapon arts.

And seriously? Firebombs? Poop? How can you honestly suggest that like it would make even an iota of difference. I guess if you want be fighting this person for the next half hour, have fun chipping them.

You can only get off a backstab if they're straight up standing still and not moving, hammering the parry button and nothing else. I've never seen anyone stupid enough to do THAT. You still have enough stamina after a partial parry to just... roll away. You won't be able to kill them and they use an estus and the whole drat thing repeats several times until they get lucky. Hell, a backstab generally won't be a one hit KO either and the same thing happens!

Also, I've never once had an attempt to kick not just end up with the parry fisher R1ing the poo poo out of me. It has like, no hitstun. Dead angling is obnoxious to perform and is almost certainly not an intended gameplay mechanic, so it's a poor excuse.

Also, 90% of the parry fishers ARE using a heavy weapon, or switch to it after the parry and before the riposte.

There's nothing "mindful" about parry fishing because the risk so vastly outweighs the reward. They're not being clever by hitting the button in vaguely the right time frame enough times that you eventually happen to line up with it.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Can't parry a crossbow.

Greatshield + crossbow is the new meta imo

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I haven't kept up with the thread but what did Genocyber do this time to earn his new round of red text?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Can't parry a crossbow.

Greatshield + crossbow is the new meta imo

Not gonna lie, I've been totally ignoring crossbows this whole time, but I usually always carried one in my other shield slot in the other games. I've had a great time with my pyro having ranged option in the other hand to compliment melee, so I'll probably give it a shot. In fact it's pretty rare to see one in pvp so I can see it being pretty effective.

Oh man if crossbows could do a charge attack ala the shortbow it'd be great for parry spammers.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

Not gonna lie, I've been totally ignoring crossbows this whole time, but I usually always carried one in my other shield slot in the other games. I've had a great time with my pyro having ranged option in the other hand to compliment melee, so I'll probably give it a shot. In fact it's pretty rare to see one in pvp so I can see it being pretty effective.

Oh man if crossbows could do a charge attack ala the shortbow it'd be great for parry spammers.

I believe the Avelyn does.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Genocyber posted:

No, no they weren't. Rapier is and always has been one of the strongest weapons in that game, especially with the old leo ring. Spears were also very good, especially the basic spear/partizan since they have strike damage r2s. Katanas were crazy good, and have only been buffed over time.

One weapon and one damage type. But compared to DS2 STR weapons they were absolutely unfavorable.
In DS2 you would never take a quality or a dex weapon over a greatsword if you wanted numbers, DS2 was absolutely amazing for heavy weapons. The Greatsword and FUGS and other UGS and GS dominated the meta for a reason. The rapier and thrusting swords were good but with the poise removal in 3 it rose to new heights.
The other great reason for Dex weapons, Bleed and poison, both were nerfed in damage and application speed. DS2 wasnt great for DEX or Aux effects, and relied more on straight damage.

But I have to agree with spears in 2. They were my favorite weapon class.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 3, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

One weapon and one damage type. But compared to DS2 STR weapons they were absolutely unfavorable.
In DS2 you would never take a quality or a dex weapon over a greatsword if you wanted numbers, DS2 was absolutely amazing for heavy weapons. The Greatsword and FUGS and other UGS and GS dominated the meta for a reason. The rapier and thrusting swords were good but with the poise removal in 3 it rose to new heights.

The other great reason for Dex weapons, Bleed and poison, both were nerfed in damage and application speed. DS2 wasnt great for DEX or Aux effects, and relied more on straight damage.

That was one of my big issues with DS2. STR/straight damage tended to win out in terms of weapon damage, even for weapon classes like the straight swords. Made pvp really boring to see all those great weapons all the time. And it felts as though some of those weapons, like the Drakeblood GS, swung almost as quickly as a straight sword, though that might just be me remembering the troubles I had initially with the Drakeblood knights and less the pvp scene.

Though thrusting swords and dex weapons like katanas could hold their own well enough, even with their weaknesses in 2.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fire Barrel posted:

That was one of my big issues with DS2. STR/straight damage tended to win out in terms of weapon damage, even for weapon classes like the straight swords. Made pvp really boring to see all those great weapons all the time. And it felts as though some of those weapons, like the Drakeblood GS, swung almost as quickly as a straight sword, though that might just be me remembering the troubles I had initially with the Drakeblood knights and less the pvp scene.

Though thrusting swords and dex weapons like katanas could hold their own well enough, even with their weaknesses in 2.

DS3 PvP is dominated by longswords and thrusting swords. Like Dex weapons in DS2, you can choose something else but you're seriously under-optimized.

I'd rather have the large variety of strength weapons in DS2 (and actually good sorcery PvP) than what we got in DS3

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

What are the twin swords that have a dual poke? People are destroying my Greataxe guy with it. I can deal with almost any type of opponent except for those drat swords, the rolling poke in particular is fast and I can't get the parry timing down with my Caestus.

The other thing that I can't figure out right now is the Farron Greatsword, I always hear it's L2 is a joke but I can't get the roll timing right when I try to roll through it and I always hear you're supposed to do that and then get an easy backstab. I just end up getting clowned.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I always get a good laugh out of people saying the counter parrying with dead angling. Yeah totally use this glitchy technique you probably don't know about, is super unreliable, and doesn't even work with a huge number of weapons.

Filthy Hans posted:

What are the twin swords that have a dual poke? People are destroying my Greataxe guy with it. I can deal with almost any type of opponent except for those drat swords, the rolling poke in particular is fast and I can't get the parry timing down with my Caestus.

The other thing that I can't figure out right now is the Farron Greatsword, I always hear it's L2 is a joke but I can't get the roll timing right when I try to roll through it and I always hear you're supposed to do that and then get an easy backstab. I just end up getting clowned.

Gotthard twinsword are the pokey swords. I honestly haven't seen them that much despite doing tons of invading, I guess because of how late in the game they are. Not sure how to play around someone that spams the rolling attack other than to try to parry it if they are really predictable.

Farron greatsword is not a joke at all, its just used by a ton of bad players. The spin is really, really annoying. Rolling through it is unreliable due to the weird hitbox and lag. Its simply not worth the risk. You're better off playing it safe and waiting for a chance to punish the move, but that's hard to pull off. Fighting a good player with that weapon sucks cause every fight takes ages.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 3, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tracula posted:

I haven't kept up with the thread but what did Genocyber do this time to earn his new round of red text?

Unironically arguing that invaders should be able to permanently kill NPCs like anri in another world so it's pretty accurate

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Digirat posted:

Unironically arguing that invaders should be able to permanently kill NPCs like anri in another world so it's pretty accurate

It's really strange From hasn't done this yet. It's such a good idea.

In terms of pure damage numbers, anything with a high counter bonus could match the heavier weapons. So in terms of raw damage dex weapons could potentially match heavier strength ones. Nevermind that pure damage isn't everything, and dex weapons tended to have better movesets.

The aux thing is (half) straight wrong. Bleed was garbage because of the low damage, but poison was incredibly good in DS2, being very easy to proc (especially with there being multiple bits of gear you could boost your poison buildup with) and do a lot of damage very quickly. Very effective in PVE, and absolutely lethal in PVP.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

I almost never get parried and I do not understand how you can be so bad at it. Maybe stop using embers.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 3, 2016

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Is there a wiki guide somewhere to the icons under your health bars? I've got one that I have no idea what it does, but it's hard to google for it since it's hard to describe.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is there a wiki guide somewhere to the icons under your health bars? I've got one that I have no idea what it does, but it's hard to google for it since it's hard to describe.

Take a screenshot! It was probably caused by some ring you equipped lately. If it looks like a gray body keeling over, it's from one of the Carthus rings, and if it's a bizarre red/black icon, it's Prisoner's Chain.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ah, it's the Carthus ring one, thanks!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

My favorite ring icon is the Demon's Souls Cat Ring because it's literally just a photo of someone's cat.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Alabaster White posted:

My favorite ring icon is the Demon's Souls Cat Ring because it's literally just a photo of someone's cat.

:laffo: that's awesome

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

DS3 PvP is dominated by longswords and thrusting swords. Like Dex weapons in DS2, you can choose something else but you're seriously under-optimized.

I'd rather have the large variety of strength weapons in DS2 (and actually good sorcery PvP) than what we got in DS3

Sorceries can still blow people up in duels, you just need to commit entirely to speccing magic damage. Also, while there was more variety in DS2, I distinctly remember lots of people still running around with really similar loadouts if they were using heavier weapons (including str friendly straight swords). And, generally speaking, I found myself never using quality builds in 2 since dark infused weapon alone did more consistent damage. (Although, I did often strip down to nothing but the vanquisher ring and a crown and had lots of success in duels.)

I will agree, though, that DS3 pvp is dominated by fewer weapons. Not just straight swords (usually the goofy looking dark sword)+estoc, but the same katanas, halberds, and great weapons. Also the same weapon arts and, in rare instances, the same few spells, but that is likely a result of the less than stellar offerings for offensive casters. DS3 probably offers the fewest options of the souls games. Wish they had built on and tweaked 2 rather than scrapped it and returned to 3.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Genocyber posted:

It's really strange From hasn't done this yet. It's such a good idea.

In terms of pure damage numbers, anything with a high counter bonus could match the heavier weapons. So in terms of raw damage dex weapons could potentially match heavier strength ones. Nevermind that pure damage isn't everything, and dex weapons tended to have better movesets.

The aux thing is (half) straight wrong. Bleed was garbage because of the low damage, but poison was incredibly good in DS2, being very easy to proc (especially with there being multiple bits of gear you could boost your poison buildup with) and do a lot of damage very quickly. Very effective in PVE, and absolutely lethal in PVP.

Yeah counter damage was good, but it's good 10% of the time (if that with good timing) as opposed to All the time.
Poison could do a lot of damage, and made PvE a breeze, but that relied on actually hitting the other player multiple times in PvP, where the massive burst and punish damage of STR weapons would, hit for hit and utility wise, keep coming out on top.

Even if you stack and min/maxed +poison in DS2 it didnt proc fast enough to be a real actual contender to STR builds, considering an equal amount of hits and equal skill. That aimed greatsword roll stab punishes rolling like crazy if done well, and then comboes into an R1 anyways.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah counter damage was good, but it's good 10% of the time (if that with good timing) as opposed to All the time.
Poison could do a lot of damage, and made PvE a breeze, but that relied on actually hitting the other player multiple times in PvP, where the massive burst and punish damage of STR weapons would, hit for hit and utility wise, keep coming out on top.

Even if you stack and min/maxed +poison in DS2 it didnt proc fast enough to be a real actual contender to STR builds, considering an equal amount of hits and equal skill. That aimed greatsword roll stab punishes rolling like crazy if done well, and then comboes into an R1 anyways.

That is not true at all. I ran a poison build and with a good setup (sanctum gloves, rat ring, and poison buffed manslayer) you could proc it super fast. And heavy weapons were very easy to dodge as usual, so I wouldn't even call them part of that game's PVP meta. The meta there was mainly spears and katanas, on account of their counter damage and fast moves. The only heavy weapon you'd commonly see in PVP spots was the FUGS, and I'm 90% sure that's solely because of Oroboro.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Is anyone else unable to log in to the DS3 server right now? It keeps prompting me to retry.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

theyre doing maintenance

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Obligatum VII posted:

Is anyone else unable to log in to the DS3 server right now? It keeps prompting me to retry.

Was getting this, and playing in offline mode was resulting in console-Blighttown framerates.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So if I get a connection error soon after joining a world, whats going on, someone just Alt f4-ing?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

So if I get a connection error soon after joining a world, whats going on, someone just Alt f4-ing?

If you see the 'invaded the world of ________' message pop up beforehand, then yeah, they've Alt-F4ed. Sometimes it doesn't appear and that means that the connection has been terminated in some manner while you were warping in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah. COWARDS!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Occasionally it is just a network error but if you are invading and spending a short time in the world before it happens then it is probably an intentional disconnect yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Christ, getting Pale Tongues is the worst thing ever when you try to PvP with a UGS, and it doesn't help that the few times I don't invade to a Duel Party, some mound maker jackass comes in and attacks me and not the host...