Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Finally finished up the rebirth issues.

Batman was not very good. I might give it a couple more issues.

Superman was great and sad. I can not wait to see where this goes.

Green Lantern was good. The only issue I had is I have no idea who Baz and Cruz are because I didn't not read their New 52 stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I agree.

The art has been awesome as gently caress, but the writing has been a stellar letdown almost all around for the Rebirth titles, like they are just slapping random ideas and words together to form narrative soup.

I thought with the huge Rebirth titlebook they had their poo poo together and knew what they were going and had a plan and some quality control going forward but that was way to much to ask.

Superman: Best of the bunch, seems to at least have both an internal and Rebirth meta-context cohesion going for it. A nice homage and book to get the mindset going.

Green Lantern: Okay, I get it, there may or may not be too many GLs, but then you WANT this diversity, so lets just hamfist this poo poo together right from the start and see were it goes. Meh. Kinda lame.

Batman: Oh dear. I don't know if I'm just not used to King's writing style/pacing or what but I just didn't feel their Batman in this book. The imagery was pretty wicked, but the dialog and story as is? I just couldn't connect to anything going on or what characters were saying/doing. I'll read it again a few times to see if I'm just not giving it a chance.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 2, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Make him Robin and Damien can be White Robin.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Codependent Poster posted:

Make him Robin and Damien can be White Robin.
Damien: "There's a Black Robin?"

SMASHCUT To Lark looking at him all WTF

Lark: "Awwwwww hellllll no, ni--"

SMASHCUT TO Lark & Robin hanging on for dear life in the Batmobile/Batjet/off the side of a train or something with awesome music playing

Both: "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

hup posted:

Can someone post a picture of Calendar Man molting because what

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how they just keep getting more and more desperate in their attempts to make Calendar Man a ~SERIOUS VILLAIN~

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Well Batman was a real yawner. Just a complete non-issue. There's no excuse for that with an introductory issue.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

ImpAtom posted:

I like how they just keep getting more and more desperate in their attempts to make Calendar Man a ~SERIOUS VILLAIN~

It is real dumb. Keep the guy as a fun gimmick character that you dust off every couple of years for a filler issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Berk Berkly posted:

I agree.

The art has been awesome as gently caress, but the writing has been a stellar letdown almost all around for the Rebirth titles, like they are just slapping random ideas and words together to form narrative soup.

I thought with the huge Rebirth titlebook they had their poo poo together and knew what they were going and had a plan and some quality control going forward but that was way to much to ask.

Superman: Best of the bunch, seems to at least have both an internal and Rebirth meta-context cohesion going for it. A nice homage and book to get the mindset going.

Green Lantern: Okay, I get it, there may or may not be too many GLs, but then you WANT this diversity, so lets just hamfist this poo poo together right from the start and see were it goes. Meh. Kinda lame.

Batman: Oh dear. I don't know if I'm just not used to King's writing style/pacing or what but I just didn't feel their Batman in this book. The imagery was pretty wicked, but the dialog and story as is? I just couldn't connect to anything going on or what characters were saying/doing. I'll read it again a few times to see if I'm just not giving it a chance.

You mention liking one of the titles they released this week and it's the first week. There have been four rebirth titles.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Which they did this time by going "WHAT IF HE WAS A SNAKE BUT ALSO DOCTOR WHO?!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

With who? Everyone else is a lot more positive than you are.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Norns posted:

Lark is fine. You can't be serious about Blackbat...

I was as serious about Blackbat as I was Bat Boy and Kid Bat. He should just be Robin. Lark is just not a cool codename at all and doesn't have 75 years of history like Robin does to make up for that. Yellow is also a bad color.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lark is fine. I don't see what the issue with it is.

I agree that yellow is an awful color though.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

bobkatt013 posted:

You mention liking one of the titles they released this week and it's the first week. There have been four rebirth titles.

I only just now read the Green Arrow one. It has some potential. Two problems with the issue itself

They pushed the "I'MA FUCKIN S J W!!!" to almost satire. Like, yes, we get it, he's very political, very Left, and should be, thats a part of his persona, but drat, I don't think it was a great move to faux-Tumblrize the inner-monologue that much. Just let all of that flow naturally from the dialog and story. Readers will get it.

It really good to see Dinah back. She isn't afraid to call our boy out on his poo poo if he gets too uppity with her.

The villains? Honestly, I like their look, a neat aesthetic, like Nosferatu Tinkers, but pretty wasted in the effort to re-establish Green Arrow's badassery, but hey, someone had to be the chumps this time.

Aphrodite posted:

With who? Everyone else is a lot more positive than you are.

With Mr Hootington.

I'm just being critical because this is supposed to be a big thing for DC. I'm overall very positive about Rebirth as a direction though. I really WANT to like what I'm reading, so I see the light at the end of the tunnel. But the individual relaunch issues have been lacking that jaw-dropping quality. Only Superman has made me go, "Yea, I really want to see where this is going, next issue please."

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 2, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I'm personally a big fan of Whip-poor-wills.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yellowhammer

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
James Tynion IV is considered a bad writer correct?

Lark should have been named Warbler or Wren. The yellow is gross too. Although if he appears in a film they can get Wiz Khalifa to do Lark's theme.

Are there previews for Flash, WW, or Aquaman out? I'm not finding any.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 2, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ummm the calendar man stuff seems cool...the issue was just boring. And I don't think we need another Robin?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

The only thing I've regularly read by him is The Woods from Boom. It's really good. Even though I have no interest in it I hear that Batman/TMNT is actually good for what it is.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

X-O posted:

The only thing I've regularly read by him is The Woods from Boom. It's really good. Even though I have no interest in it I hear that Batman/TMNT is actually good for what it is.

I'm remembering D_T hates him and wasn't his Talon series garbage? Maybe I'll just wait for first impressions in Detective.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Some of his stuff I have liked and some of his stuff I haven't. I wouldn't say he is bad though, he is just.....there.

edit: DT hates him because he didn't "get" Jason Todd like writing superstar Lobdel, so take that with a grain of salt.

His Talon was okay...and not offensively bad. Like I said, he is just...there.

His Batman #52 was pretty good though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm remembering D_T hates him and wasn't his Talon series garbage? Maybe I'll just wait for first impressions in Detective.

Well if D_T hates him then he's probably at least pretty good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Which they did this time by going "WHAT IF HE WAS A SNAKE BUT ALSO DOCTOR WHO?!"

I feel like this is still better than how they did it with Dr "It's like that's his power now" Light.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

e: Haha. Snyder retweeted that within 30 seconds of me sending it to him.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 3, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Madkal posted:

Some of his stuff I have liked and some of his stuff I haven't. I wouldn't say he is bad though, he is just.....there.

edit: DT hates him because he didn't "get" Jason Todd like writing superstar Lobdel, so take that with a grain of salt.

His Talon was okay...and not offensively bad. Like I said, he is just...there.

His Batman #52 was pretty good though.

X-O posted:

Ok I'll wait to see what the reaction is first.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

What is the white thing Alfred takes from the avocado? You can see it in the second frame. Is it supposed to be a mystery?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
gently caress, I'm down for Bavocato and Gauc-boy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Worth it if we can get Holy Guacamole, Batman!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

I think he wrote the really fun 'Diana at the boardwalk' story that Noelle Stevenson drew for Sensation Comics, too.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Constantine the Hellblazer has been a fantastic run so Tynion is an alright writer in my book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think his Batman Annual #3 might be my favorite issue from the series outside of Zero Year.
It was at least the best part of Endgame.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I still hope they don't go with Lark. His suit definitely has a bat on it and not a bird so it seems like a weird compromise to be like "no, not robin" and then have the answer be "a bird name but a bat costume". Still hoping they just call him the Duke of Bats and nobody assumes that's his actual name.

Future Duke-as-Robin looked real loving cool though.

e: My main experience with Tynion is the two Eternal series, which were all over the place in terms of quality, but as far as the characters were concerned I think it nailed them all pretty well. He seems like a good fit for a team book with lots of different personalities clashing and working together. His biggest hurdle will be Batwoman though. I'm very picky about Kate and not a lot of writers can really do her justice. She was barely in B&RE so I don't know how Tynion is going to handle her.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 3, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mr Hootington posted:

What is the white thing Alfred takes from the avocado? You can see it in the second frame. Is it supposed to be a mystery?

I think that's the thing he was using to cut the avocado in half.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy preview: http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/lumberjanes-gotham-academy-1-boom-studios-2016
e: Same one that was in the back of Goldie Vance.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I dunno, I remember D_T's dissertation about Tynion's RHATO back in the old Bad Runs thread and the poo poo he posted was pretty loving dire.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 3, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Where is D_T? I would like to hear his insane thoughts on the new books. He doesn't just buy 33 copies of Red Hood a month. He has to buy more right?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I finally got around to reading my books from this week; yeah, Batman: Rebirth #1 felt like a #0 for King's upcoming Batman series that really felt unnecessary. All it introduces is confirmation Duke's going to be Bruce's new side kick in some capacity, also that whole Calendar Man thing. :shrug:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

I dunno, I remember D_T's dissertation about Tynion's RHATO back in the old Bad Runs thread and the poo poo he posted was pretty loving dire.

Well of course it was dire, it was Red Hood.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm concerned that more goons aren't on board with Bruce's fitness regimen as shown in the Rebirth issue. Confirmed he's a stud, that's what this issue did! Grayson learned it from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I liked the calendar man update. He's not an important villain, they should experiment with him and change him around from time to time. The year life span molting thing is a cool gimmick. Of course Batman was nonchalant about it because it's establishing that to this Batman it has always been this way, but at the same time being surprising to there new kid/new viewer.