Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thank you all, it's a proud moment walking up on stage to get my diploma. Years of hard work all distilled into a single piece of parchment, funny thing eh?

Pham Nuwen posted:

I went to private school and it only took me 5 years to pay off my loans. If he went to public school any loans should be cheap as hell especially if you follow my revolutionary "loving pay them" method.

Thanks to Manitoba's non rapey-ness with education costs as mentioned and the generous support of my parents over the years (E: and my work as they've covered my entire last year in exchange for my contractual obligation to work with them for a period after I graduate), I've been able to go through school with no debt to speak of and a very healthy amount in savings. I'd consider my myself extremely lucky for those circumstances, especially after reading about how easy it is to get out of school being tens of thousands in debt.

That said, my wife and I have been saving for a house since our wedding, so we won't be debt free for too much longer. Planning on building so that's gong to be an adventure. Our families both have experience building houses so it's not completely uncharted territory at least.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bajaha posted:

Thank you all, it's a proud moment walking up on stage to get my diploma. Years of hard work all distilled into a single piece of parchment, funny thing eh?

Thanks to Manitoba's non rapey-ness with education costs as mentioned and the generous support of my parents over the years (E: and my work as they've covered my entire last year in exchange for my contractual obligation to work with them for a period after I graduate), I've been able to go through school with no debt to speak of and a very healthy amount in savings. I'd consider my myself extremely lucky for those circumstances, especially after reading about how easy it is to get out of school being tens of thousands in debt.

That said, my wife and I have been saving for a house since our wedding, so we won't be debt free for too much longer. Planning on building so that's gong to be an adventure. Our families both have experience building houses so it's not completely uncharted territory at least.

Congrats. And yes, glad I did my BSc. in Brandon, so at least when I graduated as the economy tanked I wasn't horribly in debt. Didn't realize there was another MB goon in AI (albeit I'm in Ontario now because of the wife's work).

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Man, I miss being in school. It combines two of my favorite activities: learnin' poo poo and drinkin' beer.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Cakefool posted:

Painting in this house is loving soul destroying. 4 coats before it looks good, with decent paint. Next time round will be a piece of piss because the walls won't be sucking the moisture out of the paint so quickly.

And I have a hangover from one bottle of IPA, weak.

The paint sprayer I used on the fence is supposed to work with emulsion, how brave/desperate will I be by the end of today?

Primer, dude. That's what it's for. Let the walls suck up cheap primer so you only need a coat or two tops of the pricey stuff.

I actually used one of those sprayers for the primer when I did the three rooms we just painted in our house and it worked out okay. Wouldn't use it for the actual paint, though, I think. I'm not that good at it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The walls are already painted, but it's chalky matt.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Which is the first indication that you either need to slap on some primer, or a coat or two of whatever contractor-grade flat is cheaper than primer.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Yep, primer. gently caress that "primer included" paints. Just get regular old primer, and go hog wild. Its magical, and makes paint look better (and you use less of it).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Okay, I'll get some tomorrow, I'm not going to run out of walls to try it on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Painting in this house is loving soul destroying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9MAmWnOznI

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

blk posted:

How are you liking the V50 so far? What year/drivetrain?

I got a 2006 T5 AWD with the six-speed manual. I like it a lot - it drives more like a Focus than a Volvo (in a good way) which makes sense since they share a lot of platform DNA. It's nimble, the ride is very composed, and while it has less power than my V70R it's still pretty quick. The interior isn't quite as nice as the contemporary S60/V70, but the seats are still really comfortable, the floating center stack is neat, and there's more cargo room than I was expecting. The back seat is a little tight but I rarely carry more than one passenger so that's OK.

My only complaint is that the clutch and the shifter are a little clumsy sometimes, but I'm still getting used to it and it needs new engine mounts, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt until I swap them out and spend some more time behind the wheel. I already replaced the lower torque mount with the e-Focus part that's popular with the FoST guys. It helped a lot, so I'm hoping that it'll tighten up nicely once I do the other ones.

There aren't many cars that tick the same boxes for what I paid ($5600) so I'm glad that I was able to pick it up.

Nice work, Bajaha!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Grats bajaha, you're yet another inspiration to scrubs like me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My wife wants me to find the 5 or 6 speed manual for her V70XC and convert it. Tempting.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

My wife wants me to find the 5 or 6 speed manual for her V70XC and convert it. Tempting.

Did you read Lloyd's thread on the C70 manual swap? Not for the feint of heart, or lacking of VIDA/DICE equipment and knowledge.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Did you read Lloyd's thread on the C70 manual swap? Not for the feint of heart, or lacking of VIDA/DICE equipment and knowledge.

I have not yet.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

zundfolge posted:

I got a 2006 T5 AWD with the six-speed manual. I like it a lot - it drives more like a Focus than a Volvo (in a good way) which makes sense since they share a lot of platform DNA. It's nimble, the ride is very composed, and while it has less power than my V70R it's still pretty quick. The interior isn't quite as nice as the contemporary S60/V70, but the seats are still really comfortable, the floating center stack is neat, and there's more cargo room than I was expecting. The back seat is a little tight but I rarely carry more than one passenger so that's OK.

My only complaint is that the clutch and the shifter are a little clumsy sometimes, but I'm still getting used to it and it needs new engine mounts, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt until I swap them out and spend some more time behind the wheel. I already replaced the lower torque mount with the e-Focus part that's popular with the FoST guys. It helped a lot, so I'm hoping that it'll tighten up nicely once I do the other ones.

There aren't many cars that tick the same boxes for what I paid ($5600) so I'm glad that I was able to pick it up.

Nice work, Bajaha!

drat, the 5MT T5 AWDs are unicorns, I think I've only ever seen one good one for sale and the ask was 14k with 80k miles on it or something silly like that. How was mileage on yours when you got it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Siochain posted:

Yep, primer. gently caress that "primer included" paints. Just get regular old primer, and go hog wild. Its magical, and makes paint look better (and you use less of it).

You can even get it tinted towards the color of your paint. Helped a lot when we painted over the PO's horrible mint green.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can even get it tinted towards the color of your paint. Helped a lot when we painted over the PO's horrible mint green.

Yep. This works well. We've always just gone with cheapo matte-white, done two coats, and then 2 coats of paint, and everythings beauty. Even worked over 1970's orange.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Yeah, the paint colors in my house were... interesting. My office was lime green and primary blue. Coat of primer and only one coat of paint with a few touch-ups here and there. I actually used Olympic One which has "included primer" but a gallon of that cost as much as five of primer.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Magnus Praeda posted:

Yeah, the paint colors in my house were... interesting. My office was lime green and primary blue. Coat of primer and only one coat of paint with a few touch-ups here and there. I actually used Olympic One which has "included primer" but a gallon of that cost as much as five of primer.

I found that the "paint with primer" works fine if you are going with an extremely similar color/shade, or just touching up not too old paint. If nothings been painted for 10+ years, just get the normal primer (cheap as dirt) and regular paint. I'm not a pro, but I've painted a LOT of houses for friends/family/myself, and gently caress if I don't really just hate paint with primer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9oOBkuZPJY

Well done. :golfclap:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Does anyone here use a home phone anymore? My wife regularly forgets to charge her phone or take it off silent/turn it back on after work, so I'm trying to figure out an inexpensive way to set up a VOIP home phone. I'd rather not (won't) pay Charter $30/month just to add phone to our internet service and stuff like MagicJack always seemed to fall into the as-seen-on-TV sketchy-as-gently caress category to me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Magnus Praeda posted:

Does anyone here use a home phone anymore? My wife regularly forgets to charge her phone or take it off silent/turn it back on after work, so I'm trying to figure out an inexpensive way to set up a VOIP home phone. I'd rather not (won't) pay Charter $30/month just to add phone to our internet service and stuff like MagicJack always seemed to fall into the as-seen-on-TV sketchy-as-gently caress category to me.

I've used Ooma for several years. It's been more solid than the cable-based phone system I had before.

It was a ~$80 base unit and ~$2 per month in landline taxes.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Magnus Praeda posted:

I haven't played with one of these, but I'm getting tempted to try one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Xtreme-Techno...e+to+home+phone

Turns your cell phone into a land line while you are at home, basically. I might bite the bullet later this summer, buy it, and try it out. I'll just put it somewhere with some USB charge cables so I can just slap my phone down, plug it in, and boom, anyone calls the cell = house phone rings.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
just bought a cheapie hybrid mountain bike. spent 15 minutes riding it around our office complex. holy poo poo i'm out of shape

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meatpimp posted:

I've used Ooma for several years. It's been more solid than the cable-based phone system I had before.

I've got one of those, and it's been solid. Includes an answering device. If you pay for the "premium" service ($120/year) you get a second line, online access to voice mails (and sent to your email), and the ability to add a Bluetooth dongle that will make your cell ring through to the landline phones, like that dingus Siochain posted.
I ported my old landline number to the Ooma, but you can get new numbers, too, in a variety of exchanges/area codes.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

meatpimp posted:

Throwing in my hat for Ooma as well. It's completely free in my area after you buy the box ($130 CDN). It's never let me down yet.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Smoking some ribs and chicken for the first time this year... Kid next door stuck his head over the fence and said it smelled good. Too cute.

Now if I didn't have to work and deal with idiots tomorrow I'd be even better. "Why is this 32 dollars and not 24? It says 24 on the sign, I read it!" Not all of it you loving moron because it also says 24 bucks with filter. :stare:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

Throwing in my hat for Ooma as well. It's completely free in my area after you buy the box ($130 CDN). It's never let me down yet.

Does Ooma work with a modem? This is important for my BBS usage.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

Okay, I'll get some tomorrow, I'm not going to run out of walls to try it on.

I have always approached painting my house by buying a crate of good beer, one of the 'value' 5litre buckets of matt white from b+q/wickes, and a roll of screwfix dust sheet and masking tape and pack of lovely paintbrushes/rollers.

Mask it all up while sober (usually at about 5pm), then spend the evening painting with some good music on while working through the beer. Apply repeated coats. Get take away food after an hour or two to reduce the amount of beer related paint spillage. Wear old clothes so you can just strip down to your pants within the exclusion zone and then get straight into the shower when done. Put the brushes/roller straight into a carrier bag rather than attempting to clean them.

When you wake up the next morning apply a coat (or possibly two) of the final colour that you actually want while drinking tea and feeling hungover (I'm better at edges when hungover), and then tidy up into a bin bag after lunch. Final coat can be outsourced to your significant other if appropriate.

Isn't this how everybody paints their own homes?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress painting, it's the worst.

I'm extra salty about it because i have knockdown texture on the walls and ceilings and it's impossible to get a clean line between the white ceiling and the walls.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tide posted:

just bought a cheapie hybrid mountain bike. spent 15 minutes riding it around our office complex. holy poo poo i'm out of shape

Well you've just bought something that'll help remedy that!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's pretty much how i approach life. Especially since my neighbor brews beer (and is drat good at it)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I just held the clutch disk for a legit R8 race car in my hand. My job is awesome.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I have always approached painting my house by buying a crate of good beer, one of the 'value' 5litre buckets of matt white from b+q/wickes, and a roll of screwfix dust sheet and masking tape and pack of lovely paintbrushes/rollers.

Mask it all up while sober (usually at about 5pm), then spend the evening painting with some good music on while working through the beer. Apply repeated coats. Get take away food after an hour or two to reduce the amount of beer related paint spillage. Wear old clothes so you can just strip down to your pants within the exclusion zone and then get straight into the shower when done. Put the brushes/roller straight into a carrier bag rather than attempting to clean them.

When you wake up the next morning apply a coat (or possibly two) of the final colour that you actually want while drinking tea and feeling hungover (I'm better at edges when hungover), and then tidy up into a bin bag after lunch. Final coat can be outsourced to your significant other if appropriate.

Isn't this how everybody paints their own homes?
No, but I've painted a car like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oil change chat: Is there a better way to deal with six quart (or, for that matter, four quart) oil changes while using five-quart oil bottles other than buying two of them and trying to accurately splash in the last quart needed?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
FWIW where I am 5 quart specials are 5 singles or 1 5qt jug, same price/doesn't matter. I buy singles for the wife's car since it only needs 4, and a jug + single for my truck since it needs 6.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Buy your oil at Costco, where it comes in cases of six singles. My wangler drinks Mobile 1 since it's so cheap not insanely expensive!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Sounds like the Ooma is the way to go. Thanks for the answers!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Does Ooma work with a modem? This is important for my BBS usage.

Not gonna lie, I would love to try using an acoustic coupler through one of these.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oil change chat: Is there a better way to deal with six quart (or, for that matter, four quart) oil changes while using five-quart oil bottles other than buying two of them and trying to accurately splash in the last quart needed?

I keep an empty 1 quart oil container around for this. Dump in a 5 quart jug, and then fill the empty one up 1 quart at a time to bring it up to the required 8. It also lives in my trunk with 1 quart ready to go at all times, since my car burns oil and requires a few top ups between changes.

4 quart fills...I guess you could just fill & empty the 1 quart bottle 4 times? Kind of annoying, but better than overfilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Cut the bottom off a 1qt empty to use as a funnel, makes it pretty easy to eyeball that extra quart.

• Locked thread