Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SonicRulez posted:

Speaking of Cap, what is it like when Magneto and Captain America interact? Surely Magneto is respectful to the man that punched Hitler in the teeth, but I've never seen it.

So, it's not dealt with with any kind of nuance, really, at least as far as Claremont goes. They address the fact that they've both got roots in WWII and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rochallor posted:

So, it's not dealt with with any kind of nuance, really, at least as far as Claremont goes. They address the fact that they've both got roots in WWII and move on.

drat. Not even a thank you? Magneto is a jerk even when he's trying to turn face.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There was a What If where Cap personally saved lil' Magneto from a concentration camp, radically changing his worldview. It was just a single page but it was still neat.

Rochallor posted:

So was Hercules doing anything to deserve that or did Magneto just decide to pick on the poor dude?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's also a flashback episode of X-Men: Evolution where Cap and Wolverine liberated Magneto's camp when he was a boy.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

So was Hercules doing anything to deserve that or did Magneto just decide to pick on the poor dude?
If you squint at the first panel you can make out Hercules holding Magneto in a bear hug.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Has Ra's Al Gul ever tried to recruit Bane as a an inheritor?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CzarChasm posted:

I believe that happened in Legacy which was a sequel to Contagion.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don't think Talia was very interested in him, but he stuck around with the League of Assassins for a minute. I think he had one of his return bouts with Azrael during that time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

There was a What If where Cap personally saved lil' Magneto from a concentration camp, radically changing his worldview. It was just a single page but it was still neat.

I wish they left it at that, since later on the story, Magneto's X-Men are killed and he goes, "I'm going to wipe out humanity now!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah, that happened shortly after Bane tried to blow up Gotham with a nuke. He was Ras' number one guy for a couple stories but it didn't last too long. Talia didn't like him very much, then Batman easily defeated him in a straight fight. It was not good times for Bane as a character to basically be reduced to the muscle for a more prestigious villain.

Gavok posted:

I wish they left it at that, since later on the story, Magneto's X-Men are killed and he goes, "I'm going to wipe out humanity now!"

Oh Elseworlds syndrome, you are the worst.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Oh Elseworlds syndrome, you are the worst.

At the same time, Magneto was the only major character to survive that two-parter and America is supposed to be a bastion of peace, freedom and diversity by the end of the story, so maybe he chilled out.

That was the same two-parter that gave us the bizarre Avengers roster of Captain America, Thor, Bearded Namor, Iron Man (Frank Castle), Hulk (Wolverine as Wendigo) and Giant Man (Sam Wilson).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Isn't that the story where Castle was trained by the evil racist army so he keeps saying really lovely racist things to Sam?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Can you make a racist army that isn't evil? But yes, he's part of President Steve Rogers elite squad.

And at the end of the book the US builds a statue in honour of their butts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

I remember when I read that list of the best What If? stories you did a while ago, I was struck by how many of them seemed to end up having Magneto as the main villain.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Is there a BSS irc channel anymore?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There never really was one. There was an irc channel with a lot of BSS dudes in it, but it wasn't the "BSS" channel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sure it's still out there and full of people who hate BSS and SA in general.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

There was a whole miniseries about it, "Bane of the Demon".

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Not sure if this is a good place for this question but here we go:

A year or so back when the terrible webcomics thread was still going someone brought up this bizarre, horrible thing about a society where people lived alongside animals (dogs, deer, etc) with human heads that were subjected to discrimination of some kind, I couldn't quite follow it. It was surprisingly well drawn which just made the human skin texture on deer all the more unsettling. There also were loads of text going into insane amounts of detail on how this world operated that no one wanted to read.

I wanted to show it to my comic-loving friends to freak them out but Google searches turned up nothing. Anyone remember this thing?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
the terrible webcomics thread is still going in the cool chat crew clubhouse or whatever it's called subforum of byob, you could ask them there too

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Cool thanks.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So here's my question.
Vibrinium ended up on Earth after a meteor crashed into it. And the biggest part landed in Wakanda and made them super great.
And another lot landed in the Antarctic and that stuff disolves metal so it has a different name. And presumably smaller deposits landed elsewhere on the Earth.

But everyone treats it like Wakanda is the only source for it.

So my question is this...
If it landed on Earth from space, presumably it came from SOMEWHERE*.

So like shouldn't there be a planet of this stuff out in Space. Has anyone done a plot based on that?

My other question is as rare as Adamantium is, how come Ultron can get enough of it whenever he needs a new body? My personal answer is he goes to another dimension like the Plane of Elemental Earth in D&D and mines more.

* = Ignoring Earth X where Alex Ross said that Vibrinium is placenta to Celestial fetuses.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't adamantium an alloy?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, adamantium is an alloy that's really difficult to make.

Yeah, there's probably more vibranium out there, but I don't think that's ever been explored.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You need some kind of molecular rearranger to make adamantium. It's crazy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Question IRL posted:

My other question is as rare as Adamantium is, how come Ultron can get enough of it whenever he needs a new body? My personal answer is he goes to another dimension like the Plane of Elemental Earth in D&D and mines more.

They've decided that there's "secondary Adamantium", which is really, really hard, but Thor can smash it if he puts everything he's got into it. Most of the Ultrons that depopulated Slorenia were made of secondary Adamantium.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

You need some kind of molecular rearranger to make adamantium. It's crazy.

Yeah, wasn't there also this thing for a while where Ultron needed an internal molecular re-arranger or something like that so his adamantium body would be able to function correctly? I know there's a couple of Bronze Age Avengers stories where Scarlet Witch is uniquely threatening to him because her hex power can cause it to malfunction.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, wasn't there also this thing for a while where Ultron needed an internal molecular re-arranger or something like that so his adamantium body would be able to function correctly? I know there's a couple of Bronze Age Avengers stories where Scarlet Witch is uniquely threatening to him because her hex power can cause it to malfunction.

Yeah, I think that's correct. Once adamantium is set, it can't move again without that sort of device, which is why Wolverine's bones are just "laced" with admantium or else they'd have no flexibility and he'd be a clumsy motherfucker.

There was also the time Wonder Man smashed Ultron into the floor over and over until his internal non-adamantium parts just shook apart. So even with an internal molecular rearranger, he needs some other components.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I was ordering my Bendis Avengers collection, getting it ready to be sent off for binding, and I noticed that I'm missing Giant Sized Spider-Woman. Is there anything in the new 8-page story ("Choices") in there that's isn't just echoed in Spider-Woman Origins and New Avengers #14-15? Trying to decide if I'm anal enough to track down a copy of it for inclusion.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

The Question IRL posted:

Vibrainium
If it landed on Earth from space, presumably it came from SOMEWHERE.

Everyone's responding about adamantium but holy poo poo this is thing I want to know about, too!

That's a drat good cross-over event right there, way better than Tony Stark being a jerk (yet he'd be a jerk in this instance, too, looking for and securing the source, etc etc)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

One last post about Adamantium before we hopefully go back to Vibrinium.

After Wolverine got his metal sucked out, he went researching the origins of it. In like Wolverine #78 the scientist said that once Adamantium is bonded to a skeleton the process turns it into Adamantium Beta which has different properties to the original metal.

It never said what those properties are but I always took that as why Wolverine's claws could do things that even a sword of Adamantium couldn't.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ferrule posted:

Everyone's responding about adamantium but holy poo poo this is thing I want to know about, too!
Presumably you can just make an argument about it being born in a neutron star collision/whatever cosmic phenomena makes it happen but doesn't create a literal planet out of the poo poo.

You could also probably have Molecule Man / Phoenix just make that poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, I think that's correct. Once adamantium is set, it can't move again without that sort of device, which is why Wolverine's bones are just "laced" with admantium or else they'd have no flexibility and he'd be a clumsy motherfucker.

There was also the time Wonder Man smashed Ultron into the floor over and over until his internal non-adamantium parts just shook apart. So even with an internal molecular rearranger, he needs some other components.

Plus his joints aren't covered, I think? That's why he can lose limbs.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

The Question IRL posted:

So here's my question.
Vibrinium ended up on Earth after a meteor crashed into it. And the biggest part landed in Wakanda and made them super great.
And another lot landed in the Antarctic and that stuff disolves metal so it has a different name. And presumably smaller deposits landed elsewhere on the Earth.

But everyone treats it like Wakanda is the only source for it.

So my question is this...
If it landed on Earth from space, presumably it came from SOMEWHERE*.

So like shouldn't there be a planet of this stuff out in Space. Has anyone done a plot based on that?

Kelly Sue DeConnick, in her second volume of Captain Marvel. Carol squared off against Star-Lord's dad over a vibranium deposit on a planet that had been settled by refugees from the Builders' war.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

FilthyImp posted:

Presumably you can just make an argument about it being born in a neutron star collision/whatever cosmic phenomena makes it happen but doesn't create a literal planet out of the poo poo.

You could also probably have Molecule Man / Phoenix just make that poo poo.

Well duh.

It would make a great story-arc is all I'm saying...

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't know how you guys think joints work but even if every bone was 100% coated in adamantium you'd still be flexible and you'd still be able to lose a limb. The question would be how do you 100% coat a bone with metal without completely removing it from the body, fusing it to the adjacent bone or accidentally coating a ligament with it but Comic Book Science.

I always thought it was extremely hosed up when Wolverine would get so tore up you could see his shiny skull peeking out or some poo poo.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The other question would be, how does inter-bone transfer work, like minerals and red blood cells if the bone is coated in an impermeable layer.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Scaramouche posted:

The other question would be, how does inter-bone transfer work, like minerals and red blood cells if the bone is coated in an impermeable layer.

It doesn't, which is why when you turn off Wolverine's healing factor he begins to die. That is to say, his healing factor (somehow) accounts for the failure of inter-bone transfer.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It doesn't, which is why when you turn off Wolverine's healing factor he begins to die. That is to say, his healing factor (somehow) accounts for the failure of inter-bone transfer.

I thought that was because Adamantium was toxic, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Travis343 posted:

I thought that was because Adamantium was toxic, though?

All metal is toxic if it's floating around in your blood stream.