Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

"just press the mute button" is about as tone-deaf and ignorant as saying that the words don't matter.

Actually it's very good advice. I use the mute button liberally and my life is fantastic.

I'm not playing a different game from you guys. I still run into flamers and racists, but instead of getting upset at Blizzard for not immediately responding to my report and banning the kid mid match or whatever it is you guys want Blizzard to do, I just put him on mute so I don't need deal with him for the five-ten minutes we are matched together.

If that seems unreasonable to you there are always books and singleplayer games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also I think Dota 2 handles it best. Let them play an take their money, but they can only play with other Jerks until they work out of it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Prisoner Island sounds like a great idea in theory, but then you end up with places like Australia.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

fadam posted:

Actually it's very good advice. I use the mute button liberally and my life is fantastic.

I'm not playing a different game from you guys. I still run into flamers and racists, but instead of getting upset at Blizzard for not immediately responding to my report and banning the kid mid match or whatever it is you guys want Blizzard to do, I just put him on mute so I don't need deal with him for the five-ten minutes we are matched together.

If that seems unreasonable to you there are always books and singleplayer games.

I've already mentioned that there's a different game that has a much better system for dealing with toxic players that I wish for this game to impliment so I don't know why you're acting like my methods are inscrutable. But really though: why do you loving care? You're clearly not slinging slurs in-game (or maybe you are idk you've casually tossed "dyke" around before) so any system that deals with toxic players won't affect you, and you've already proven how cool you are by not caring what other people think, so why the gently caress do you bother with how other people deal with hate speech?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
My group had a really mixed night tonight. We had a full 6 for once, which was great! And the first few matches went well. But then we got matched with this obnoxiously good group who just stomped us across three maps. We managed to hold them off once.
And then right after that group we attacked Hanamura against a different team. Bastion, Torb and Symmetra. That map is just rough... I like the second point, kind of, but the first one is just bad. It seriously needs an actual flanking route or two.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Lady Naga posted:

Not moderating hate speech is, indeed, a bad thing. I'm sorry that this issue that does not affect you in even the most trivial ways is the hill you chose to die on but I suppose we all need to do something to feel important.

I don't care what Blizzard does or doesn't do about this issue. I'm not the one staking out hills.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Verranicus posted:

Getting a lot of hate on this thread, does being called out on your apathy really sting that much?

Yup, I said it. Just got out of a game with almost the entire enemy team spamming "Let's lynch all the n1GG3rs!" Along with other blatant hate speech. Needless to say I reported and blocked them all. Now in the BEST case scenario, Blizz will slap them with what.... a 24 hour ban? Maybe 3 days if they are a repeat offender? Is this the standard they hold the community to? In my last 20 years playing Blizzard games, they do diddly squat to moderate the community, even responding to repeated reports similar to these with nothing more than a slap on the wrist, and I'm sick of it. BY REFUSING TO TAKE ANY SUBSTANTIAL ACTION AGAINST THESE ACCOUNTS, BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT IN EFFECT CONDONES RACISM AND HATE SPEECH.

The only type of thing I've seen like this is one time someone said something about jews. Flat out racism should be like 1 week ban.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Zorodius posted:

I don't care what Blizzard does or doesn't do about this issue. I'm not the one staking out hills.

You clearly care enough to talk about it, and then continue the conversation when people call you out.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I too experience racism because Japanese people often call me Korean, and tell me to go back to Korea. I'm not sure why this happens.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Asimo posted:

Also making racists and 13 year olds cry and whine on the forums about being oppressed by temp bans is always great so I'm all for a good bit of chat moderation.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

I've already mentioned that there's a different game that has a much better system for dealing with toxic players that I wish for this game to impliment so I don't know why you're acting like my methods are inscrutable. But really though: why do you loving care? You're clearly not slinging slurs in-game (or maybe you are idk you've casually tossed "dyke" around before) so any system that deals with toxic players won't affect you, and you've already proven how cool you are by not caring what other people think, so why the gently caress do you bother with how other people deal with hate speech?

League of Legends and DotA still have a ton of racists mate.

And I care because it's a dumb thing for people to get mad about. Why is correcting people who are wrong so offensive to you? I'm sorry this board isn't an echo chamber for your opinions.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

Lady Naga posted:

You clearly care enough to talk about it, and then continue the conversation when people call you out.

My point was that it's dumb to rage in response to someone trying to get a rise out of you. And also dumb to accuse Blizzard of Condoning Racism because you assume their response doesn't meet whatever standard you invent.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

fadam posted:

League of Legends and DotA still have a ton of racists mate.

And I care because it's a dumb thing for people to get mad about. Why is correcting people who are wrong so offensive to you? I'm sorry this board isn't an echo chamber for your opinions.

Yes of course they do but their systems have marketly improven the positivity of the playerbase as a whole still, again there was a whole talk about it.

Zorodius posted:

My point was that it's dumb to rage in response to someone trying to get a rise out of you. And also dumb to accuse Blizzard of Condoning Racism because you assume their response doesn't meet whatever standard you invent.

You both seem to care a whole lot about what other people think.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Zorodius posted:

The standard being "doing anything at all". Yes, that's a horribly high standard to take against the worst of humanity. We can't possibly hold Blizzard up to that level, it's simply beyond them, they're only one company with complete access to their own game and all the tools in it.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
hey guys whats going o- :yikes:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
hey guys whats going o-

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

Yes of course they do but their systems have marketly improven the positivity of the playerbase as a whole still, again there was a whole talk about it.

Yes when I think of positive communities I definitely think of DotA and LoL.

Look, we're obviously not going to change eachother's minds so there's no real point in continuing this. Because I'm an adult in total command of my locus of control I'm going to ignore your whine posts and not let them negatively affect me. You should try it out sometime.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ddraig posted:

The standard being "doing anything at all". Yes, that's a horribly high standard to take against the worst of humanity. We can't possibly hold Blizzard up to that level, it's simply beyond them, they're only one company with complete access to their own game and all the tools in it.

Blizzard punished people for being obnoxious pretty consistently in HotS. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same in this game.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

fadam posted:

Yes when I think of positive communities I definitely think of DotA and LoL.

Look, we're obviously not going to change eachother's minds so there's no real point in continuing this. Because I'm an adult in total command of my locus of control I'm going to ignore your whine posts and not let them negatively affect me. You should try it out sometime.

No actually I'm not gonna just lie down and pretend like real deal poo poo that's negatively affected my life doesn't matter at all just because you insist it does. Might you consider gaining empathy?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"I hope Blizzard takes a hard stance on racism and bigotry" should not be a controversial opinion that causes pages of derailing.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Lady Naga posted:

You both seem to care a whole lot about what other people think.

is this what you do every time someone disagrees with you?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Your Computer posted:

"I hope Blizzard takes a hard stance on racism and bigotry" should not be a controversial opinion that causes pages of derailing.

I don't think anybody said anything to the contrary.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Zorodius posted:

is this what you do every time someone disagrees with you?

Not if they have a reason to disagree with me no.

fadam posted:

I don't think anybody said anything to the contrary.

No all they said was that slurs don't actually matter because you can use the mute button so it doesn't really matter if Blizzard enforces a punishment system because it's not gonna SOLVE RACISM anyway so who cares? Much different.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
whats the name of this cat, and is there a better picture of him or her

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It's barely been a week and already it's getting rarer and rarer to be able to play both attack and defense on the same map in a row. The losing team always leaves at the end and the game disbands.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://zippy.gfycat.com/RespectfulBestGordonsetter.webm

jesus christ this thread

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
People are discussing something I don't want them to discuss, time to post about it :saddowns:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's barely been a week and already it's getting rarer and rarer to be able to play both attack and defense on the same map in a row. The losing team always leaves at the end and the game disbands.

This hasn't been the case for me. I've never had a whole team drop after a loss, and when just one or two people leave the spots get filled fast. You on PC?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

In other news I have a 36% win rate.

:negative:
It's me, I'm the pubby.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

fadam posted:

This hasn't been the case for me. I've never had a whole team drop after a loss, and when just one or two people leave the spots get filled fast. You on PC?

Yes. It might not be an entire team dropping, but enough leave that the game disbands. I think I've only had maybe one match in my last 10 A/D maps where I could play both sides.

On the bright side, I'm really enjoying Zarya's playstyle more and more.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
I have played 1 game with Mei and won 0 games with Mei. I have a 30% winrate with Mei.

Err...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Was it a KOTH that you won one of?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think the game tracks wins with a character for every single one you played during a match, no matter how long. I have a 100% winrate with Widowmaker and the only time I picked her was by accident for a single second before swapping.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

No actually I'm not gonna just lie down and pretend like real deal poo poo that's negatively affected my life doesn't matter at all just because you insist it does. Might you consider gaining empathy?

He said, from behind his monitor, doing nothing about the actual problem.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tequila Sunrise posted:

1) lady naga, as her name implies, is a woman
2) people can both post about things on the internet, and do things in real life to address them

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
How exactly does the game generate those instances where mercy gets over 100% kill participation?

Tequila Sunrise posted:

You not only misgender me but also assume a complete falsehood for no reason other than it makes me look worse. Nice.

Countblanc posted:

1) lady naga, as her name implies, is a woman
2) people can both post about things on the internet, and do things in real life to address them
Name nothin, it's in my friggin' profile.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lady Naga posted:

How exactly does the game generate those instances where mercy gets over 100% kill participation?

i've never seen this happen, that sounds really weird

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
She beams people who kill people, she gets kill participation

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Countblanc posted:

i've never seen this happen, that sounds really weird

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that you're usually stuck to somebody's butt, like if you damage boost someone it counts as both being around for the kill and directly assisting them yourself but I'm literally just guessing since I haven't tested it out.

Zzulu posted:

She beams people who kill people, she gets kill participation
That'd only account for a 100% kill participation at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm perfectly willing to believe Lady Naga confronts people about racism and bigotry in real life too.

I've done it.