Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
For once I'm actually hoping I don't go into labor tonight... My cute pajamas are covered in colostrum stains from yesterday and the pajamas I'm stuck with (that still fit) are an awful combo of red Christmas-geek shirt and yellow/green striped shorts.

I look like a very bloated court jester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Don't worry, I'm p sure your cute pajamas would get taken off and/or destroyed.
I wore band shirts and similar ugly shorts :megadeath:

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I might get to come join you guys (if the little guy sticks) but in the meantime, I couldn't find it earlier in the thread so, best pregnancy book?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Congrats Miranda, that's exciting news! :toot: I really liked this one: http://www.amazon.com/Mayo-Clinic-Guide-Healthy-Pregnancy/dp/1561487171

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

My favorite was Expecting 411

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
Is 20 weeks too early for my boobs to start leaking? Because, uh, that seems to be happening. So far it's not much, clear, and only if there's a little pressure on them.

I'm actually a little bit excited about this, because I'm hoping to breastfeed, but my mom was never able to produce a drop and I've been worried I'd have the same problem.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Leaky boobs is great news! I didn't start being able to hand express colostrum until about 38 weeks or so. Look up the stanford newborn how to hand express video and have a go! If you want you can even collect it in a little cup and put it in syringes for the first week of baby's life or just in case or whatever.You don't have to do this of course, myself I found it comforting to have a few things in the freezer in the advent things went horribly south and baby ended up in special care or worse. You'll likely not get much at first--used to take me about 45 minutes of hand expressing to get a single 1mL (so if you're going to do this I recommend small syringes in the 3mL range).

The first night home from the hospital when baby really woke up we gave her maybe 5mL worth to try to help calm her when we were overwhelmed. Mind you we were home within 12 hours of her birth so you might not have to go it alone like we did.

Also Emily Oster's Expecting Better is pretty good. My midwife told me to chuck the Mayo book when I spent too long worrying about how much weight I was putting on (they didn't even weigh me, they weren't interested based on my healthy background). You don't really need a pregnancy book imo. Heaps of apps will tell you how big baby is at various stages for free. Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering by Sarah Buckley is one book my doula lent me and while it was on the fruity side it did have actual citations in it so came in handy when thinking about our birth preferences. Depends on how you feel about birth though, we were hell bent on zero intervention zero meds if we could.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

nyerf posted:

Leaky boobs is great news! I didn't start being able to hand express colostrum until about 38 weeks or so. Look up the stanford newborn how to hand express video and have a go! If you want you can even collect it in a little cup and put it in syringes for the first week of baby's life or just in case or whatever.You don't have to do this of course, myself I found it comforting to have a few things in the freezer in the advent things went horribly south and baby ended up in special care or worse. You'll likely not get much at first--used to take me about 45 minutes of hand expressing to get a single 1mL (so if you're going to do this I recommend small syringes in the 3mL range).

The first night home from the hospital when baby really woke up we gave her maybe 5mL worth to try to help calm her when we were overwhelmed. Mind you we were home within 12 hours of her birth so you might not have to go it alone like we did.

Also Emily Oster's Expecting Better is pretty good. My midwife told me to chuck the Mayo book when I spent too long worrying about how much weight I was putting on (they didn't even weigh me, they weren't interested based on my healthy background). You don't really need a pregnancy book imo. Heaps of apps will tell you how big baby is at various stages for free. Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering by Sarah Buckley is one book my doula lent me and while it was on the fruity side it did have actual citations in it so came in handy when thinking about our birth preferences. Depends on how you feel about birth though, we were hell bent on zero intervention zero meds if we could.

I watched the video and am now really excited. I'll have to try it later; it's just so great knowing that I have a decent chance of being able to breastfeed. I know that not having it done for me should put me on the "I turned out fine" train, but honestly I had a horrible/incompetent immune system as a kid (for example, at one point I got pneumonia twice in a six month period), so I don't know that I can say that. If I can do anything to make sure this kid doesn't end up dealing with the poo poo I did, I really want to.

I'm a pretty big worrier, so having a stock in the freezer would be amazing. Should I wait to start saving it until it gets more yellowish than clear? For that matter, how long is it "good" in the freezer?

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

yea I started leaking around 20 weeks. I'm 4 months post partum now and have had great supply and a pretty smooth breastfeeding experience. I hope you get the same!

In terms of building a freezer stash, you really won't get much before giving birth so I wouldn't stress about it. You also really want to have baby on boobs during those first few days to stimulate supply. Once your milk comes in you can pump to build your stash (it really started flowing for me after about 10 days). Milk lasts 6 months in the freezer.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

Don't worry too much about the colour, even breast milk varies in colour. I found my colostrum looked cloudy coming out and then settled to clear straw/yellowish colour in the cup, but it took a few days of practice before I could express enough to be worth putting in a syringe for the freezer. I'd aim for ~1mL over two 15 minute sessions in a 24 hour period, and then freeze it. You might get more! (Don't go too nuts at first though or you'll end up sore like I did)

My midwife told me they're happy if at birth they can get a few *drops*. Baby can sleep through a good 8 hours the first day it's here, and initially their stomachs are teeny tiny so you won't need huge amounts. Once my milk was in I got onto our pump instead, but hand expressing is a good skill to have.

I assumed it can be treated like normal breastmilk- freeze it on the day you express it and it should last a few months, deep freezers up to 6 months supposedly. If all goes well (and most of the time it will! ) you won't need it at all, your milk will come in and baby will be off and away on that :) So it's just a tiny bit of insurance for the first week or so until your milk comes in- but once baby's born the best thing for your supply is to keep them feeding as much as humanly possible. It's exhausting but worth it.

Our baby is 7 weeks old now and my little zip loc of leftover colostrum syringes is still in the freezer. It's got a laxative effect so might come in handy if kiddo gets blocked up in the next month or two but otherwise I'll end up binning it I think. I'm onto building a breast milk stash now for a buffer when I go back to work.

E:f/b ^

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
I didn't try for much because I don't have anything to put it in, but I can definitely hand express! I am unreasonably happy about this. It's like the first time during this pregnancy I've honestly felt like "Okay, I've got this." :3:

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

Naww I was the same :3 suddenly my boobs had a purpose and were doing an incredible thing! I was so proud. You should be too! There's no end to things people want you to feel negatively about in pregnancy so hang on to the good things. You got this.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Genetic screening came back today at low-risk, but we also found out that it's a boy :3:

Does anyone have any tricks for managing headaches better? My old pre-pregnancy go to was taking Excedrin Migraine with my really bad headaches, and of course I can't take that now because of the aspirin and super high caffeine. Up til now it hasn't been an issue, but Texas has been swamped with storms lately and I get really painful headaches triggered by barometric pressure that tylenol does so little for :(

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
My cat is trying to abort our children! Almost every late night/early morning, our 13 lb cat will at some point jump on my wife's belly from the top of the headboard. He has a glass of water up there to drink and i think he just picks the highest spot to land. Is there anything i can do to help my wife shield herself better? She's already curled up around a snoogle.

We live in a small one bedroom and the cat is wonderful the other time. I think if we shut the bedroom door it would be a real nightmare with him trying to get in, scratching, and meowing. We don't mind him hanging out in the bedroom, we just really need to discourage the little dude from jumping on my wife.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Try moving the glass of water to a different nearby location?

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Do all cats seriously need their own glass of water in a bedroom orrrrrr

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Sharks Below posted:

Do all cats seriously need their own glass of water in a bedroom orrrrrr

It's just where we've kept it for years. Hasn't really been a thing and he's never decided to jump on us before? I can certainly try moving it and hopefully that will stop it. I kind of think the behavior is more "i want to annoy you because i want breakfast or attention or because i'm a cat and cats are weird" than it being specifically about getting a glass of water. But yeah, moving the mug is kind of a "duh" attempt to solve. Been burning the candle at both ends with work and taking care of my wife so am kind of fried. Fingers crossed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Miranda posted:

I might get to come join you guys (if the little guy sticks) but in the meantime, I couldn't find it earlier in the thread so, best pregnancy book?

Ohhh dang hey. I would advise against going nuts with new books since you already have too much baby experience. Your doctor and/or the internet can provide answers and timelines. Wait for hand-me-downs and check the library and used book stores.

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 3, 2016

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Kerafyrm posted:

Genetic screening came back today at low-risk, but we also found out that it's a boy :3:

Does anyone have any tricks for managing headaches better? My old pre-pregnancy go to was taking Excedrin Migraine with my really bad headaches, and of course I can't take that now because of the aspirin and super high caffeine. Up til now it hasn't been an issue, but Texas has been swamped with storms lately and I get really painful headaches triggered by barometric pressure that tylenol does so little for :(

Try adding Benadryl and a little bit of caffeine to the Tylenol. If that doesn't work, you can talk to your provider about other options like Reglan.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
Hey thread! Finally read the whole 289 pages... Lots of info to process!

I'm 12 weeks along now, and had some questions about back pain? I'm a dog groomer, so I'm on my feet a lot and do a lot of lifting and stuff. It hadn't been a problem, but the past two weeks my back has been KILLING me. My asked my doctor about it and she basically just told me to take Tylenol and to suck it up... but the Tylenol doesn't really help. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

hypnotoad posted:

I'm 12 weeks along now, and had some questions about back pain? I'm a dog groomer, so I'm on my feet a lot and do a lot of lifting and stuff. It hadn't been a problem, but the past two weeks my back has been KILLING me. My asked my doctor about it and she basically just told me to take Tylenol and to suck it up... but the Tylenol doesn't really help. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I found that doing Pilates once a week really helped alleviate some of that pain. I'm sure yoga would have been equally beneficial but I don't like doing yoga. Stretching and Epsom salt baths (not too hot) were godsends. I also found a few very supportive pairs of shoes to wear daily.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Isaac joined us on 6/02 in the afternoon, after an eviction notice from the doctor.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Funhilde posted:

I found that doing Pilates once a week really helped alleviate some of that pain. I'm sure yoga would have been equally beneficial but I don't like doing yoga. Stretching and Epsom salt baths (not too hot) were godsends. I also found a few very supportive pairs of shoes to wear daily.
Yeah, I had some excruciating back pain starting second trimester and doing yoga has made it SO much better. I can feel it on days when I have to skip.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

hypnotoad posted:

I'm home with my toddler and so forced be active and pick up heavy stuff too. One small thing I've noticed that helps a lot - squat (instead of bending at the waist) when you need to bend over. I had back pain starting really early on with this pregnancy and changing the way I bend over/pick things up has helped a lot. I find I really have to limit the lifting of more than 20# or so or I feel it in my back. But the squatting and watching my form when bending helps me the most.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

New Weave Wendy posted:

But the squatting and watching my form when bending helps me the most.

Oh my god, I'm 19 weeks now and people are telling me I shouldn't be lifting heavy things 'in my condition' which pisses me right off, I am a strong and healthy 5'11" woman who has lifted weights for a couple of years so I know what I am doing, thank you. When I feel uncomfortable lifting stuff I will ask for help. I even had one woman today saying that if you lift heavy weights early in a pregnancy it's :byodame: EVEN WORSE :byodame: for you and baby.!!1!! I'm pretty sure this is bollocks.

I've just started saying something along the lines of 'Thanks for your concern, I'll ask for help when I want it'.

Here is an article about lifting and exercise while pregmo-

http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/3-reasons-to-lift-weights-during-pregnancy

I'm starting to actually get a bump now which is dead exciting, and when I took the cat to the vets the other day the vet noticed- the first person to comment who would have had no way of knowing. I haven't had any definitive 'kicks' yet but I can certainly feel something going on in there....it's so exciting.

Palisader posted:

Isaac joined us on 6/02 in the afternoon, after an eviction notice from the doctor.

:D Congratulations!! :D

Rondette fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 4, 2016

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

Rondette posted:

Oh my god, I'm 19 weeks now and people are telling me I shouldn't be lifting heavy things 'in my condition' which pisses me right off, I am a strong and healthy 5'11" woman who has lifted weights for a couple of years so I know what I am doing, thank you. When I feel uncomfortable lifting stuff I will ask for help. I even had one woman today saying that if you lift heavy weights early in a pregnancy it's :byodame: EVEN WORSE :byodame: for you and baby.!!1!! I'm pretty sure this is bollocks.

This makes me rage too. My freaking husband is the worst offender so I regularly tell him to knock it off when he starts up. I did go on a hike with a somewhat steep downward hill at about 27 weeks and a random stranger in front of me told me I shouldn't attempt it so I did it (partly just to spite her) and I went slow and it was fine. I've been in my body for 30 years and I know what it can and can't do at this point, thx.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone got a book they'd recommend on how to raise a nerd, or something along those lines? Figured I'd give it to my husband for father's day... can't start too early on raising a young Goon.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I saw this comic recently and it made me step back a bit from attempting to get our future kiddo to like the same things we do/did.

They're gonna like what they're gonna like. I hope to show them cool stuff and get em drawing (my main passion) and being creative, but my friends have warned me, they're gonna like what they're gonna like. Don't try and force poo poo on em coz they'll only resent you for it and probably like it less. I hope that our Rondettelette doesn't like football or wrestling or happy hardcore or organised religion, but if they find that is their passion and love then I guess I will help em out any way I can. ( I think though TBF to us as neither of us take part or have any interest in any of those things the chances are slim.)

Lucky for you nerd culture is pretty much the default setting at the moment so your life will probably be filled with Star Wars and Marvel anyway :)

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rondette posted:

I saw this comic recently and it made me step back a bit from attempting to get our future kiddo to like the same things we do/did.

They're gonna like what they're gonna like. I hope to show them cool stuff and get em drawing (my main passion) and being creative, but my friends have warned me, they're gonna like what they're gonna like. Don't try and force poo poo on em coz they'll only resent you for it and probably like it less. I hope that our Rondettelette doesn't like football or wrestling or happy hardcore or organised religion, but if they find that is their passion and love then I guess I will help em out any way I can. ( I think though TBF to us as neither of us take part or have any interest in any of those things the chances are slim.)

Lucky for you nerd culture is pretty much the default setting at the moment so your life will probably be filled with Star Wars and Marvel anyway :)

No I get that - it's a nerd version of preacher's kid syndrome. I guess I'm more looking for books on supporting inquisitiveness. Our kid(s) are going to be raised overseas in a variety of places so they're going to be weird no matter what, compared to their American peers.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Hello I am formally joining this thread, 12 weeks today, Harmony test alll super low risk and I'm having a boy. I'm growing a penis inside me. lmao

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Woah dang I never thought of it that way :eek:

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
You are probably a much more mature human being than I am :haw: when I first realised this I giggled for about a minute straight

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Sharks Below posted:

Hello I am formally joining this thread, 12 weeks today, Harmony test alll super low risk and I'm having a boy. I'm growing a penis inside me. lmao

High five baby boy haver (though mine is 15 months old now...). I couldn't stop giggling about "Little, tiny baby testicles!!! Growing INSIDE ME!!" until my husband literally went, "STOP. Just. STOP."

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Sharks Below posted:

You are probably a much more mature human being than I am :haw: when I first realised this I giggled for about a minute straight

!!! Me too. :3: I'm so excited for you.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
So finally getting around to posting in here. My wife and I found out we are going to be having our first baby! With an expected due date of New Years Eve I cannot tell you how excited I am.

We told our families though and we were expecting joy. We mostly got minor surprise. My father actually heavy sighed when he found out :wtc:

What can I do to help her out in the following trimesters? I know this is going to be rough for her (her morning sickness was pretty bad for the first two months after the pregnancy test) and I want to make sure I help her get through this.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sharks Below posted:

Hello! Ermagerhd you're gonna be an awesome mum! Is it your first? I have to wait until next week to (hopefully) find out the flavour I'm having. I can't wait.

I was ridiculously excited to discover my due date is around Halloween. Lil Halloween baby :D

Spiffster posted:

So finally getting around to posting in here. My wife and I found out we are going to be having our first baby! With an expected due date of New Years Eve I cannot tell you how excited I am.

Good job to you as well!

jemsy
May 27, 2010

DOG EATS APPLE
:3:

Spiffster posted:

We told our families though and we were expecting joy. We mostly got minor surprise. My father actually heavy sighed when he found out :wtc:

What can I do to help her out in the following trimesters? I know this is going to be rough for her (her morning sickness was pretty bad for the first two months after the pregnancy test) and I want to make sure I help her get through this.

Your wife and I got positive tests on the same day, and my EDD is New Years Day.

What the hell at your families' reactions :psyduck:

Is she still slogging through morning sickness? This thread suggested unisom + B6, and my doctor gave me the thumbs up, so that has helped me. Only thing is it knocks me out because, duh, sleep aid, but some days it's worth it.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I find if I take the unisom right before bed, it seems to last through the next morning too at least a little bit. And my midwife told me to take b6 in the morning and at night.

My morning sickness is pretty good at the moment at about the 12 week mark, thank goodness. I'm super tired still but not as bad as weeks 6-9.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

jemsy posted:

Your wife and I got positive tests on the same day, and my EDD is New Years Day.

What the hell at your families' reactions :psyduck:

Is she still slogging through morning sickness? This thread suggested unisom + B6, and my doctor gave me the thumbs up, so that has helped me. Only thing is it knocks me out because, duh, sleep aid, but some days it's worth it.

Her morning (well evening) sickness is getting better but she now has heart burn bad and occasional verping replacing the dry heaves. Her appetite is mostly back so that is a plus.

She however is EXTREMELY EXHAUSTED. Part of it is her work load and the other is she is developing a human being while doing that so yeah... Understandable. I'd be worried about giving her any sleep aids unless she asked for it. I have been playing it by ear as to whatever she wants I get for her

As for my fathers reaction it's probably because he is dealing with a lot right now (being a grandfather from my sister, retirement... Because of cancer :smith:) I just figured that since his other grandson is so much a big part of his life right now I figured a second one would have been a pick me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Dude, I cannot even describe how blindsided I was by the exhaustion. I have NEVER felt anything like it. Like, absolutely the closest I've come to passing out just from tiredness. Nap every day after work and sometimes at lunch time, and early bedtime. SO TIRED.