Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I do think excluding other HMD's is the biggest problem but another problem with Oculus Exclusivity is I have to buy that poo poo on Oculus Home, gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I thought there was a Vive specific one, but everyone uses OpenVR anyway. Oh well, still good for us.

The only way things are "vive exclusive" is if they require functionality (controllers, roomscale, etc) that your HMD doesn't have.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I thought there was a Vive specific one, but everyone uses OpenVR anyway. Oh well, still good for us.

Last I heard HTC was working on a Vive store for China, where Steam is apparently banned? But I assume the games on that store will still use OpenVR.

BossTweed posted:

The only way things are "vive exclusive" is if they require functionality (controllers, roomscale, etc) that your HMD doesn't have.

And even then, you're supposedly able to play them if you have motion controls working (3rd party, or even a Rift with Vive controllers). There's nothing in the software blocking you from playing them if you can get the inputs right.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Its almost like Valve are cool dudes who want VR to succeed as a technology and facebook just wants a monopoly on money.

(Yes they both just want to be a successful business and are just using different methods to achieve the same result. The difference being the Valve method doesn't directly gently caress over consumers)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Knifegrab posted:

Its almost like Valve are cool dudes who want VR to succeed as a technology and facebook just wants a monopoly on money.

(Yes they both just want to be a successful business and are just using different methods to achieve the same result. The difference being the Valve method doesn't directly gently caress over consumers)

Let's be honest, if gamers are free to choose between Steam and Oculus Home, 100 of 100 are going to choose Steam. And since Valve doesn't handle the hardware side of the business, they have no reason to hardware lock anything they sell.

So I don't ascribe it to Valve being cool dudes or anything (though I think they are), just that Valve's interests are in complete alignment with what's good for gamers and VR, and Oculus' aren't.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Gaben is a large man

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bremen posted:

So I don't ascribe it to Valve being cool dudes or anything (though I think they are), just that Valve's interests are in complete alignment with what's good for gamers and VR, and Oculus' aren't.

Yeah, but in capitalism everybody is always out to gently caress you over for a dollar so somebody's interests aligning with your own is basically as good as it gets.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Bremen posted:

Let's be honest, if gamers are free to choose between Steam and Oculus Home, 100 of 100 are going to choose Steam. And since Valve doesn't handle the hardware side of the business, they have no reason to hardware lock anything they sell.

That's exactly my point. At the end of the day they both want the same thing but are using different methods to achieve them. I only care about myself as a consumer, and I would prefer the method that doesn't gently caress me over by locking out half of the hardware or invading my privacy.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
In Elite dangerous, how do you click on the plot route buttons in the Galaxy map? I've got it to work once and then never again. Just takes me to the system map.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Locobono posted:

In Elite dangerous, how do you click on the plot route buttons in the Galaxy map? I've got it to work once and then never again. Just takes me to the system map.

What do you mean? There are like three buttons when you select a system, just hit one of them. One of the button is system map, one is mark as destination and I believe the third is plot route.

Finally finished binding my controls and setting up voice attack so I will hop in tonight and see if I can figure it out for you.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So I just spent an hour or two in elite in the vive with voice attack my hotas and peddles. Its pretty dope.

Anyway to your point on the galaxy map while it is a bit wonky in how its displayed, I didn't have any trouble selecting the route.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
Holy cow you guys, Waltz of the Wizard freaking owns! All my childhood dreams have come true.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Knifegrab posted:

What do you mean? There are like three buttons when you select a system, just hit one of them. One of the button is system map, one is mark as destination and I believe the third is plot route.

Finally finished binding my controls and setting up voice attack so I will hop in tonight and see if I can figure it out for you.

I probably need to give more detail. In the Galaxy map screen, it appears that When selecting a given system , you can set it as a destination, or make it part of a route, or bookmark it, or several other things. I can't seem to even get focused on that little system selection tab, much less pick things from it. Hitting the right arrow on my d-pad just takes me to the system map. Up or down d-pad goes up and down on the window to my left where I choose fast/economical and set filters etc. I can't use any of the icons hovering over the actual system, so I can't plan routes, so my jumps are really frustrating because as soon as I appear at the sun I have to get back into Galaxy map and try to figure out what my next jump is.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Locobono posted:

I probably need to give more detail. In the Galaxy map screen, it appears that When selecting a given system , you can set it as a destination, or make it part of a route, or bookmark it, or several other things. I can't seem to even get focused on that little system selection tab, much less pick things from it. Hitting the right arrow on my d-pad just takes me to the system map. Up or down d-pad goes up and down on the window to my left where I choose fast/economical and set filters etc. I can't use any of the icons hovering over the actual system, so I can't plan routes, so my jumps are really frustrating because as soon as I appear at the sun I have to get back into Galaxy map and try to figure out what my next jump is.

Hmm sorry, not too sure. Under the controls menu check to see what is bound to all your UI stuff. I use a warthog hotas and I use my thumb controls and if I go left or right I almost always just select those icons.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Locobono posted:

Check that you don't have the system map bound to d-pad right.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
VR pool multiplayer is pretty amazing. Seems like there are some netcode issues? Has anyone played this and managed to get through a full game? It has a lot of potential.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Only got 2 emails - an order confirmation, and the shipping confirmation. does it come from @htc?

It took a few days after I received the unit for my codes to show up just fyi so that could be a thing

edit: also loving Waltz of the Wizard, so many little touches

Grim fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 3, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DeadGame posted:

VR pool multiplayer is pretty amazing. Seems like there are some netcode issues? Has anyone played this and managed to get through a full game? It has a lot of potential.

Worked fine for me. Played with a guy with the ghost ball turned off, he accidentally potted the black and I won after about an hour of farting about playing darts.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
okay so I figured out the best way to put on the vive headset. its v simple - put it on normally. once its on hold the headset steady and with your other hand grab the 'hard' piece at the back of the strap - the top part of the round strap in back. while holding the headset steady pull the strap down over the back of your head. this results in a perfect fit every time.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also, I still frankly do not understand people that have issues with the beat mapping in audioshield. like maybe if you're listening to some weird prog or whatever, but if you just put on something with a beat you'll be in great shape. played these two songs a few times last night with the gf and we both had a blast dancing our asses off and hitting the balls in line with what would be our natural movement. gonna need to work out a solution for the sweaty foam tho.

digitalism - zdarlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRgRbWFr9Mg

chromeo - jealous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhmUnk454MA

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Got my Vive and my 1080 within a few days of each other, and got it all set up last night. The slowest part of setup was waiting for my drill battery to charge. Other than that, I like that it fit my thick frame glasses, I liked almost all the games I played, and my wife thinks it's extra cool and won't give a chance to play non-VR games on my new graphics card for the next week at least.

Best games: Audioshield was the thing that REALLY clicked for both of us. You look insane from the outside, but it's really great when things kick in and you're blocking these blasts coming from space. The two songs from Undertale and that one Cascada song on the Most Popular page really got my heart going.

We also enjoyed Waterbears, Job Sim, and she tried Fantastic Contraption.

Worst experience: Elite Dangerous. I never learned how to play with a controller, so I just kinda floated around a bit, and then it kept freezing with setup windows so I quit it. It did feel cool, but it didn't feel like being in space, it felt like the space-y part was just a background on a huge dome around me. Also seeing a body and hands that didn't line up with me made me feel weird. I had to really focus on thinking "this isn't me, it's a game" to not feel sick about that. Also the whole thing felt way less polished for VR in terms of loading screens and transitioning into the game, I didn't like that at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
You should move your body or reset the tracking so that the body in Elite DOES line up with your real world body. That's the point and it makes it feel extremely immersive. I feel like I'm looking down at myself. Or are you just a fatty? :cheeky:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The first time my wife played Elite in VR she looked down and said "So this is what it's like to be skinny."

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The disconnect between the virtual pilot body's motions and me using a Xbox controller IRL was what made me feel kinda weird. I wanted to feel like I was looking at myself but instead it was a strong reminder of the opposite.

Sprocket
Apr 1, 2005

woof
Had my vive for 4 days now and I although im loving it im also extremely frustrated that its so goddamn blurry for me. It seems all of the blurriness complaints on reddit etc are ultimately solved by the person realising they've been wearing the headset incorrectly or had the ipd/lens distances not dialled in. I've tried absolutely everything, all the recommendations that seem to work for other people just dont seem to do gently caress all for me and its really starting to piss me off.

I can just about manage to get a tiny sweet spot in the middle after lots of fiddling but it is extremely small and around periphery its god awful, i've not even tried Elite yet because I just know it would just be an exercise in frustration. I did wonder if I had some strange problems with my vision so had an eye exam today and it seems my right eye is slighty dodgy, -1 cyl or whatever that means. But doing some googling it seems like this isn't too severe and im also reading plenty of accounts of people with up to -2 being able to get good clarity with the headset without their glasses due to the lenses.

Will be getting some glasses next week to see if it makes any difference. How is the blurriness for everyone else? I've been reading people claiming that they've been able to get a clear view quite far into the periphery with the vive when its adjusted correctly.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

:siren: Anyone wanna write up a good review for either Waltz of the Wizard or Pool Nation VR? :siren:

Sprocket posted:

Will be getting some glasses next week to see if it makes any difference. How is the blurriness for everyone else? I've been reading people claiming that they've been able to get a clear view quite far into the periphery with the vive when its adjusted correctly.

Are you nearsighted? Because if so, yeah it might be blurry I think (Though honestly I don't really understand all the optics problems fully).

Chinaman7000 posted:

The disconnect between the virtual pilot body's motions and me using a Xbox controller IRL was what made me feel kinda weird. I wanted to feel like I was looking at myself but instead it was a strong reminder of the opposite.

The freezing bit with setup windows seems odd, but elite really shines if you go full sim. I spent the last few days setting up an elaborate voice attack profile, in addition to my warthog HOTAS and rudder pedals. Now I can talk to my ship's computer. It is smart too, it has a safety phrase, so unless I preface a command with "computer" it won't perform any action. However saying "Computer" it will respond and say "yes commander" and then accept any command without the safety phrase. Or if I am in a high stress combat situation I can disable the safety phrase by saying "Computer, disable safety protocols".

Its quite intelligent too, every voice command has tons and tons of alternatives. Alltogether my profile probably has ~100,000 phrases. I can say things like "Balance power to shields and weapons." "Retract landing gear." "Select first wing's target." "Engage frame shift drive." "Set Thrusters to 50%" "Engage Boost." "Drop from super cruise." But I don't have to say any of these things exactly, so in a stressful situation saying it close enough normally works, for example my actual voice attack command for landing gear is "[Toggle; retract; detract; extend; open; close; use] landing gear".

I'm also a turbo node so if I want to eject all my cargo I can say "Jettison all cargo" and then my computer will respond "Jettison Request denied" (Since it is a dangerous costly thing to do) And then I can say "Override" and it will say "Authorization code required" and then if I give it the proper authorization override it will accept it and jettison my cargo.

Yes I am the elite nerd :downs:

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Knifegrab posted:

:siren: Anyone wanna write up a good review for either Waltz of the Wizard or Pool Nation VR? :siren:

Are you nearsighted? Because if so, yeah it might be blurry I think (Though honestly I don't really understand all the optics problems fully).

The freezing bit with setup windows seems odd, but elite really shines if you go full sim. I spent the last few days setting up an elaborate voice attack profile, in addition to my warthog HOTAS and rudder pedals. Now I can talk to my ship's computer. It is smart too, it has a safety phrase, so unless I preface a command with "computer" it won't perform any action. However saying "Computer" it will respond and say "yes commander" and then accept any command without the safety phrase. Or if I am in a high stress combat situation I can disable the safety phrase by saying "Computer, disable safety protocols".

Its quite intelligent too, every voice command has tons and tons of alternatives. Alltogether my profile probably has ~100,000 phrases. I can say things like "Balance power to shields and weapons." "Retract landing gear." "Select first wing's target." "Engage frame shift drive." "Set Thrusters to 50%" "Engage Boost." "Drop from super cruise." But I don't have to say any of these things exactly, so in a stressful situation saying it close enough normally works, for example my actual voice attack command for landing gear is "[Toggle; retract; detract; extend; open; close; use] landing gear".

I'm also a turbo node so if I want to eject all my cargo I can say "Jettison all cargo" and then my computer will respond "Jettison Request denied" (Since it is a dangerous costly thing to do) And then I can say "Override" and it will say "Authorization code required" and then if I give it the proper authorization override it will accept it and jettison my cargo.

Yes I am the elite nerd :downs:

Holy poo poo you're a turbo nerd but I want that profile

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Locobono posted:

Holy poo poo you're a turbo nerd but I want that profile

I can upload it tonight. I've been in talks with the Voice Attack dev, he actually built the latest beta with this profile in mind because it won't run on any other version of voice attack. He changed some code that has to do with how it loads TONS of recognized phrases, he said no one ever goes quite as ham as I did with the optional phrases for a more natural speech. If you tried to run this profile on an older version it would take at least a whole day to load. On the new beta it takes about 20 seconds to load the phrases into window's speech recognition software, so don't freak out if when you load this profile the program hands for ~1 minute.

I haven't run the script totally through its paces but it should work decently now. I am calling this one V0.1 because I will probably find over time that I will want to add or remove things.

Some phrases never need a safety phrase, things that need to feel natural like "thank you computer".

Also bear in mind it relies pretty heavily on keyboard binds. Since I have a full warthog I used more or less my entire keyboard for alternate binds as I don't ever use my keyboard for anything. So you might need to tweak things.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Sprocket posted:

Had my vive for 4 days now and I although im loving it im also extremely frustrated that its so goddamn blurry for me. It seems all of the blurriness complaints on reddit etc are ultimately solved by the person realising they've been wearing the headset incorrectly or had the ipd/lens distances not dialled in. I've tried absolutely everything, all the recommendations that seem to work for other people just dont seem to do gently caress all for me and its really starting to piss me off.

I can just about manage to get a tiny sweet spot in the middle after lots of fiddling but it is extremely small and around periphery its god awful, i've not even tried Elite yet because I just know it would just be an exercise in frustration. I did wonder if I had some strange problems with my vision so had an eye exam today and it seems my right eye is slighty dodgy, -1 cyl or whatever that means. But doing some googling it seems like this isn't too severe and im also reading plenty of accounts of people with up to -2 being able to get good clarity with the headset without their glasses due to the lenses.

If you have vision problems, and especially if one eye has a different prescription than the other, you are really going to want glasses or (preferably) contacts for VR.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know why I'm helping with your stupid thread knifegrab

Waltz of the wizard -

A free 'experience' game, you're put into a magical workshop and have a variety of ingredients you can use to mix and create spells. in practice it's really just a matter of remembering sequence (there are three categories, each with two ingredients, so it's going to be only 1-1-1, 2-2-2, 1-2-1, etc etc).

The real draw is the spells themselves, which range from levitation, which lets you hurl around dozens of objects and cause destruction with the flick of a wrist - pretty much think magneto in the xmen movies - to fireballs to becoming a giant, but also the the interactive elements in the workshop. Honestly only a couple of the spells are really all that good, but there's enough fun little surprises in terms of interacting with the environment that it's more than worth your time.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 3, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Those of you getting into Elite and think you might stay awhile should join Diamond Frogs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773251

They're pretty cool people and they don't care if you are super casual. In fact there's a squad designation specifically for that.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

edit: nvm

StarkRavingMad posted:

Those of you getting into Elite and think you might stay awhile should join Diamond Frogs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773251

They're pretty cool people and they don't care if you are super casual. In fact there's a squad designation specifically for that.

I looked at that group but man the steps to join the group are involved.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 3, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Then don't.

edit: To clarify you complain in the other thread about two threads existing. Then you post in this thread, and complain about my thread while doing so. This thread has been drama free and a fun and cool place to talk about rad bros with vives playing vive games and doing vive poo poo. If you don't like this thread than don't post in it otherwise stop bitching about it existing while posting in the very thing you are bitching about.

I looked at that group but man the steps to join the group are involved.

lol I obviously don't care that much or I wouldn't have posted a review for you you weirdo, that comment above was mostly in jest. I would just like there to only be one thread so I don't need to keep up with both or wonder where I should post stuff. that's the extent of it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

The Walrus posted:

lol I obviously don't care that much or I wouldn't have posted a review for you you weirdo, that comment above was mostly in jest. I would just like there to only be one thread so I don't need to keep up with both or wonder where I should post stuff. that's the extent of it.

Welp you replied the second I hit "save changes". Curse you.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'd play Elite, but I find it really boring and Voice Attack barely works for me. But Pool Nation VR is great!

Pool Nation VR features 8-ball and 9-ball pool, along with secretly also featuring a pair of fully functioning darts boards with score tracking. Set within a bar, it features all of the ambience and broken beer bottles that one would expect on an average night out. You can also collect hats by playing the game.

The game can be played versus an AI or multiplayer, featuring friends only lobbies. You could also in theory play by passing the headset with a friend. The game also features the help of a ghost ball so you know where your shot will hit, which can be easily turned on or off at the start of a round. However, it does not feature a guide line which may come as a shock to those accustomed to playing pool in games rather than real life.

When it comes to locomotion, Pool Nation VR has a unique method that I actually quite like. By pressing the grip buttons on both controllers, you can push and pull the world around you. This lets you make small adjustments for rotation and movement, and also allowing you to lean further in on the table. If that makes you ill, teleportation is also an option. Teleporting can move you to any place in the bar, but also has points on the table you can fixate onto. This makes it easier to get to a good position that you can then make minor adjustments for by actually moving.

Using the cue is a bit wonky though. To hit the ball, you have to aim the cue at it and then hit the trigger to lock yourself in place. Think of this as when you actually set down the cue onto your hand when you go for the shot. You can then hold the trigger on the other hand to fine tune the shot. Power is determined by the speed you hit the ball at, and it feels oh so good to finally sink a ball.

Multiplayer mode features voice chat, but you can choose to mute yourself or the other player. They use quite a nice menu system where by holding the button lets you play with a set of toggles that will affect the current round (spawn darts, spawn a beer bottle, mute self, mute other, clean the table) or you can press the button to give the full menu, including the settings and the ability to leave the game.

You can also play with the AI while waiting for a multiplayer match, so there's never a pointless wait. Even during a match, you can just play darts while your opponent sets up their shots.

However, there are some small downsides, such as the background noise being a bit too loud and not having a separate audio slider. I've also felt that the pockets are maybe not generous enough, but that might just be poor play. It does feel like shots that should go in don't.

Regardless, Pool Nation VR is one of the best games available for VR right now, and I heartily recommend that everyone buy it right now. It's a great pool game, and probably the Vive game with the best multiplayer and most longevity right now.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 3, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

That review rules so loving hard. Thanks dude. Adding to OP

Just to clarify, you'd classify this game as cream of the crop I'd assume?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

Just to clarify, you'd classify this game as cream of the crop I'd assume?

Yes, it's superb. Well worth the money.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Thanks again man its been thrown into the OP. The Walrus I'll throw your review up there too, I think I would classify waltz of the wizard as a good title because it doesn't have that much replayability.

On the Vivecraft front:

Vivecraft now uses 2-handed archery in the style of Longbow.

km2
Jul 27, 2012
Pool Nation VR -- Dont play while drunk!

http://i.imgur.com/XPIOChX.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

km2 posted:

Drunken stumbling

This is just like real life! I love it! I just can't tell if you knocked the beer off the table too, that would seal it for me!

• Locked thread