Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

thrawn527 posted:

No idea how true this is, but the title for Episode VIII may have been "leaked".

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/star-wars-episode-viii-title/

It's almost certainly fake. Episode 8 likely doesn't even have a final title yet.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/733157270004043776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

weekly font posted:

It makes sense. Doesn't Snoke call him the last of the Knights of Ren?

It's iffy because this is Star Wars. You don't do flashbacks in Star Wars unless it's really lovely prequel movies.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Fuzz posted:

It's iffy because this is Star Wars. You don't do flashbacks in Star Wars unless it's really lovely prequel movies.

The Force Awakens, the sequel Star Wars movie that just came out, literally had flashbacks (disguised as Force visions), and was the first Star Wars movie thus far to have them.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE

Mr Jaunts posted:

It's almost certainly fake. Episode 8 likely doesn't even have a final title yet.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/733157270004043776

To be fair about Revenge of the Sith, just about anyone could have predicted that would be the title.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Episode VIII: The Force Rolls Over and Hits the Snooze Button.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Aaronicon posted:

Obviously this is what it should be, as I've always imagined it to be the traditional undergarment for a Sith/Jedi.

Looking more and more likely that Darth Vader will make an appearance in Rogue One, too. That'd be cool, that sweet moment where the heist looks like it's going perfectly and they're about to walk out underneath the Imperial's noses when BAM, red lightsaber outta nowhere and he just straight up murders everyone. I'd also hope they put Hayden Christensen inside the suit again, because I really don't think he'd be bad under anyone but Lucas, and two because it'd make half the internet melt down.

Vader is in it, it is all but confirmed by Lucasfilm. Spencer Wilding has been running lines on set (to be dubbed by JEJ later) and they've made 'action-scene-compatible' versions of the suit of armour as well as replicating a suit of armour in it's ANH configuration. This movie is the result of the reason Disney bought Star Wars. They get to use Vader. Vader is their new Mickey.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

drunkill posted:

Vader is in it, it is all but confirmed by Lucasfilm. Spencer Wilding has been running lines on set (to be dubbed by JEJ later) and they've made 'action-scene-compatible' versions of the suit of armour as well as replicating a suit of armour in it's ANH configuration. This movie is the result of the reason Disney bought Star Wars. They get to use Vader. Vader is their new Mickey.

So Vader won't leave copyright until 2100?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Episode VIII: The Battle for Arrakis

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Was there ever any doubt that Vader would appear in Rogue One, really?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I just had a random thought.

What if Padme really was an angel?

There's probably already a ton of fan fiction on this subject I'm guessing.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

kiimo posted:

I just had a random thought.

What if Padme really was an angel?

There's probably already a ton of fan fiction on this subject I'm guessing.

There's a Clone Wars episode explaining the dumb angel line. I think it turned out to be some kind of orbital weapons array or something. The episode was almost as dumb as the line.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

Pops Mgee posted:

There's a Clone Wars episode explaining the dumb angel line. I think it turned out to be some kind of orbital weapons array or something. The episode was almost as dumb as the line.

Angels are a species on the moons of Iego.

What you're thinking of was a weapons system that the people thought was a god called Drol.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
"Director" is pretty much the most boring title they could give an Imperial baddy.

And why do they have Death Troopers to hunts the Rebels and where did they go after the Rebels literally blew up the Death Star, &c.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

"Director" is pretty much the most boring title they could give an Imperial baddy.

And why do they have Death Troopers to hunts the Rebels and where did they go after the Rebels literally blew up the Death Star, &c.

I know they complete wiped out all the old canon, but the guy is wearing a white uniform and Grand Admiral is just a badass as gently caress title to begin with. Run with it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thrawn will never happen. Stop trying to make Thrawn happen!

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

The image from the book that spoils the names looks like a cover of a bad EU novel.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I am glad the next Star Wars movie will feature no Jedi because that means little Force mumbo-jumbo. The Force is one of the most nonsensical and irritating aspects of the Star Wars mythos.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kurzon posted:

I am glad the next Star Wars movie will feature no Jedi because that means little Force mumbo-jumbo. The Force is one of the most nonsensical and irritating aspects of the Star Wars mythos.

I...I won't be tempted...I will not succumb!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I...I won't be tempted...I will not succumb!

Give in to your anger.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Kurzon posted:

Hate to break it to you, but Ep. 8 will potentially feature Force-sensitive trees.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what this is:

There are a bunch more up-close photos of the Falcon and the Ahch-To set posted here.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I hope there's a Ysalamir or something to go along with Ents.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I was about to ask this and then I realized, some blandly named pompously dressed bureaucrat and his pet project death squad?

A New Hope posted:

TARKIN
The Imperial Senate will no longer
be of any concern to us. I've just
received word that the Emperor has
dissolved the council permanently.
The last remnants of the Old Republic
have been swept away.

TAGGE
That's impossible! How will the
Emperor maintain control without the
bureaucracy?

TARKIN
The regional governors now have direct
control over territories. Fear will
keep the local systems in line. Fear
of this battle station.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I love how Cushing says "territories" in that line

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr Jaunts posted:

Hate to break it to you, but Ep. 8 will potentially feature Force-sensitive trees.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what this is:

There are a bunch more up-close photos of the Falcon and the Ahch-To set posted here.

That's Bran.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

euphronius posted:

That's Bran.

Can't be, there are no doors on Ahch-To.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Since this seems to be the default Star Wars spoiler discussion thread... I'm sure many have seen reports of turmoil in the Rogue One camp, with significant reshoots called for by Disney execs. This might not be worry in and of itself, but the very reliable Jason Ward of makingstarwars.net just posted these points he's been hearing from different sources.

quote:

Some crew initially heard J.J. Abrams was supervising the reshoots.
Gareth Edwards is doing the reshoots himself but with a partner, Christopher McQuarrie.
Christopher McQuarrie, the final writer on Rogue One will be working extensively with Edwards onset to make sure they’re on the “same page” with the most recent draft of the film.
Christopher McQuarrie’s draft of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was considered superior to the film they shot previously.
It was not Edwards’ fault as McQuarrie’s draft wasn’t completed when much of the film was shot and revisions kept coming in that made the film feel uneven.
32 sets have been recreated for the reshoot.
The crew expects they are reshooting 40% of the film.
They are working 6 days a week for 8 weeks.

This sounds both better and worse than what was circulating before. Given the speed with which these movies are being pumped out it's not surprising that the script was being rewritten during shooting. The extent of reshooting that will be necessary and the claim that the film as-is is "uneven" does not inspire confidence, however. When combined with the less-than-stellar writers behind the script, I'm cautiously preparing for the possibility that this could be a stinker.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
And some more Rouge 1 rumors (search for KeepR1Dark):
https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/4m8d6w/forget_all_the_crap_about_people_saying_they_know/

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The more I read about Rogue One the worse the movie sounds.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel the opposite. It sounds dope as gently caress. Everyone dies at the end, Vader is a slasher villain...sucks this won't be the movie we'll see.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I'm starting to think Edwards accidentally made a good movie.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

If JJ had a hand in the reshoots, well...

I've got a bad feeling about this...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fuzz posted:

If JJ had a hand in the reshoots, well...

I've got a bad feeling about this...

all the reshoots are rotating helicopter shots.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Look you guys if the movie was the wrong tone but also was awesome they wouldn't re-shoot 40% of the film. This is Disney, not Lionsgate. The movie sounds uneven. The tone thing is a complaint, it isn't like it's this awesome bleak outstanding movie and they want to make it for kids. It sounds like the script wasn't done and they ended up with a misguided movie. It also sounds fixable. But I doubt it's this awesome bleak thing that they're going to gently caress up. If it was great they'd just market it as "not your kids' Star Wars" and trust the reviews to take care of it. Re-shoots like this are fixing something that is bad.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The 40% figure is amusing to me because it harkens back to one of the great early internet fake TPM rumors which hit right after filming wrapped. "Lucas is going to have to reshoot a large chunk of Episode I because 40% of the footage is fuzzy and out of focus." It was a pretty popular dumb rumor which would still fit right in today.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well it could mean 40% as in, the large scale action scenes needed toning down from near R ratings, so reshooting those is big and costly. I mean, they've said Saving Private Ryan since the movie was announced, maybe they didn't actually mean saving private ryan and meant The Great Dictator.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

drunkill posted:

Well it could mean 40% as in, the large scale action scenes needed toning down from near R ratings, so reshooting those is big and costly. I mean, they've said Saving Private Ryan since the movie was announced, maybe they didn't actually mean saving private ryan and meant The Great Dictator.

I hope we see Ben Mendehlson's character dancing with an inflatable Death Star model.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
They're just editing in some BOIOIOIOIOING sound effects for when Vader decapitates about 8 dozen people.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Rogue One teaser promised a really cool movie. I'm not going to comment on poo poo I know nothing about, I just hope they're doing re-shoots for good reasons and not to drastically change the tone of the movie or something.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I'd reshoot the movie too if I ended up accidentally shooting a Gary Whitta script and then got Christopher McQuarrie to re-write it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Teek posted:

The 40% figure is amusing to me because it harkens back to one of the great early internet fake TPM rumors which hit right after filming wrapped. "Lucas is going to have to reshoot a large chunk of Episode I because 40% of the footage is fuzzy and out of focus." It was a pretty popular dumb rumor which would still fit right in today.

I would agree, only Jason Ward has been right about a lot of stuff, including seemingly bullshit details, during TFA's shooting. He's not just some random poster on Reddit.

• Locked thread