Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The heads of Marvel literally sat down and said, "Wolverine is incredibly popular. How can we cash in on this?" and someone replied, "Make a new Wolverine and add titties!"

I think she was created for one of the X-Men cartoons and then jumped to the comics later.

Hookers: You know, for kids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Inco posted:

I think she was created for one of the X-Men cartoons and then jumped to the comics later.

Hookers: You know, for kids!

I think you're thinking of Harley Quinn.

EDIT: well gently caress me, apparently there were two different female comic book villains of the 90s who started in cartoons.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, remember the only power he should have naturally is the healing factor. Everything else was artificial.

Isn't he also significantly stronger than normal as well, just to be able to hold himself up with all that weight?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Kruller posted:

Isn't he also significantly stronger than normal as well, just to be able to hold himself up with all that weight?

No fatigue toxins, rapidly healing cells letting him literally push so hard he tears muscles, etc, comic book logic, etc.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Kruller posted:

Wolverine has the comic book cop out strength level of "peak human conditioning" cause his healing powers make his muscles heal really well or something. The adamantium skeleton supposedly made him a little bitter stronger also, and no that doesn't make any sense. But no he doesn't have super human strength officially. Citation: Spiderman.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Cap should at least be one tier up, maybe two and Spidey is discounting himself and you know what nevermind

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
If you're going to nerd out about strength and powers, just go to the marvel wiki. It's not like that's worse than just hypothesizing about it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm gonna nerd out about powers right here! In fact I'm gonna sperg. You've been warned.

So in X-Men Apocalypse En Sabah Nur wakes up after 5000 years out of commission and learns English and the history of the world from touching a TV, robbing us of the best fish-out-of-water comedy there could have been, and it makes absolutely no sense. Let's say he can tap into all the TV signals and learn information that way, then he'd still only get what's being broadcast at that moment. Does he access TV stations' archives via TV signal somehow? That'd be largely stored tapes that aren't even near a tape reader. Does he read the analog signal directly off the stored tapes and translate it in his head, before he can possibly know what an analog signal or a tape even is? And who the gently caress had that kind of power in the year 5000 B.C. and how did it seem useful enough that Apocalypse said, you know what, I'm having that?

The only way it makes any kind of sense to me is that someone wrote this scene with the internet in mind and took the laziest way out when they were told the internet thing was nixed because it's the eighties, rewrite that scene until lunch.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I never quite understood why Iron Man is always portrayed as being one of the most powerful heroes, like top of the class. I mean, it's a universe with mutants, heroes from the future, literal wizards and sorcerers, aliens from civilization thousands of years ahead of us and literal gods, and some smart rear end in a tech suit is on par with all that?

I get gimmicks. The Hulk is one of the most dangerous guys around because he just keeps getting more and more powerful the angrier he gets, seemingly without limit. Captain America's gimmick isn't so much his super strength, reflexes and skills and stuff, but his personality, so sure, the all-American bestest guy ever can be top tier. Thor is a literal god.

But Tony? His claim to fame is too much money, beating alcoholism and a tech suit that isn't even all that special, all things considering. I guess he's a skilled politician and stuff too, but all that doesn't explain why everyone always defers to him over like 90% of the superheroes around him. I've just started reading Marvel comics and all this stuff keeps irking me.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I don't know anything about superhero strength classes or the true origin of Wolverine's powers, but just tell me this:

Can he or can he not bend his wrists? And if so, how?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kruller posted:

Okay I'm gonna nerd out here.

-His bone claws are removed in the Weapon program and the adamantium ones are installed before they can grow back.

-At one point, all the metal from his body is removed and it causes his healing factor to go apeshit and gave us Feral Wolverine.

-His bone claws grew out WAY longer than before and he couldn't retract them.

-The total weight for the adamantium coating is around 20 lbs. total. This is because Adamantium (that may as well be magic) is so strong that you only need a very thin coating to make something unbreakable.

-He can bend his wrists because the blades are shorter than his forearm and they retract to below his wrist.
There must be some mechanism in place to prevent extending them unless his hand is parallel to his forearm.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Jun 2, 2016

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Inzombiac posted:

There must be some mechanism in place to prevent extending them unless his hand is parallel to his forearm.

At least once he's popped them out of his palm. It was as gory as you expect.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I don't know anything about superhero strength classes or the true origin of Wolverine's powers, but just tell me this:

Can he or can he not bend his wrists? And if so, how?

His poo poo goes all the way up into his forearms past his wrists.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They covered that in the Wolverine movie. I understand if you've not seen it.

This is the best I could find but the claws start in his forearm.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Taeke posted:

I never quite understood why Iron Man is always portrayed as being one of the most powerful heroes, like top of the class. I mean, it's a universe with mutants, heroes from the future, literal wizards and sorcerers, aliens from civilization thousands of years ahead of us and literal gods, and some smart rear end in a tech suit is on par with all that?

I get gimmicks. The Hulk is one of the most dangerous guys around because he just keeps getting more and more powerful the angrier he gets, seemingly without limit. Captain America's gimmick isn't so much his super strength, reflexes and skills and stuff, but his personality, so sure, the all-American bestest guy ever can be top tier. Thor is a literal god.

But Tony? His claim to fame is too much money, beating alcoholism and a tech suit that isn't even all that special, all things considering. I guess he's a skilled politician and stuff too, but all that doesn't explain why everyone always defers to him over like 90% of the superheroes around him. I've just started reading Marvel comics and all this stuff keeps irking me.

"Power level" is about character popularity and high profile, not their abilities in the setting. See also: Batman being unstoppable.

Iron Man isn't the most powerful and important hero so much as Robert Downey Jr. is, and the comics reflect that.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Inzombiac posted:

-He can bend his wrists because the blades are shorter than his forearm and they retract to below his wrist.

Ohhhhhh. I can't believe I never thought of that.

Wolverine's got some weird bones, man. I don't like it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Taeke posted:

IIRC, he's usually the guy bankrolling the Avengers.

In earlier comics, there just outright weren't that many superheros - early on, Spider-Man was the fourth-strongest being on Earth (behind Hulk, Thing and Thor), so the Iron Man suit was a huge advantage.

Also RDJ is awesome and popular in the role, so the comics follow that.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Tony also knows how all the biz and govt stuff works so he's going to be front and center in a lot of the dealings

Don't know why Don Cheadle's character existed in the movies. 2 iron mans flying around,wow who cares? It was awful

darkhand has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Jun 2, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A recent retcon has established that Wolverine is part of a mutant offshoot of dog men and besides healing it includes faster reflexes, strength etc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I thought he was a super-evolved wolverine...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

I thought he was a super-evolved wolverine...

That was the originally planned Shocking Twist for him that was abandoned, iirc.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Kellsterik posted:

"Power level" is about character popularity and high profile, not their abilities in the setting. See also: Batman being unstoppable.

Iron Man isn't the most powerful and important hero so much as Robert Downey Jr. is, and the comics reflect that.

Yeah that makes total sense for a powerlevel index from the eighties

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kellsterik posted:

For a while before the movies, Iron Man was basically unstoppable because of the Extremis virus letting him interface directly with his armor and other technology, giving him crazy fast reflexes and so on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

That description of his powers only ever showed up in a character compendium thing and has never actually been part of the comics.

Marvel occasionally releases these Encyclopedia of the Marvel Universe things that are bios on various characters and races.

They're almost never written by actual comic book writers, they hire out to people who run fan sites and things like that. In one of them, the guy writing it decided that he didn't like how Cyclops' power worked canonically so he made up the eye portals to the punch dimension thing. The same guy also felt that Spider-Man's wall clinging didn't make sense so he made up something about atomic attraction.

It never appeared in an actual comic or anything and was pretty much forgotten. But then later in an X-Men encyclopedia a different guy (he's Comixfan if any of you have played Marvel Heroes) used it again. Somehow since then it's ended up in official stuff like the Marvel.com wiki and other books, probably because those are farmed out too.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Missing Link posted:

At least once he's popped them out of his palm. It was as gory as you expect.

To be fair he was very drunk.

Now here's the one you should be thinking about. X-23 has a blade in each foot and two on her hands. How do the ones pop out of her feet?

And, yes, she has kicked someone in the balls before with it out.

Edit: Also, Wolverine's son Daken has two on the top of his hand and one that pops out below and somehow curves around straight.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Jun 2, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Who is the guy between Hercules and Iron Man in that picture?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ytlaya posted:

Wonder Man. He's an actor and is also strong and his brother had something happen to him where he had to kill a person every 24 hours to live and so he thought the best way to do that was to strap the end of a scythe onto his arm nub (he lost his hand I can't remember how) and go on a murder spree.

Also a fact is that Wonder Man has never had a good costume.

Edit: I just noticed Nighthawk's terrible battle cry, "By night I'm twice as strong as any human-- by day, I'm an invalid."

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Jun 2, 2016

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

The real question is why is 1970's second coming of stereotypical Jesus a middleweight?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

The real question is why is 1970's second coming of stereotypical Jesus a middleweight?

Wundarr aka Aquarian, basically hippy Superman.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Inzombiac posted:

And they further explained away the troubles of birthing a mutant by saying that powers don't manifest until puberty or in cases of trauma when it's convenient for the plot.

Mutant powers emerging during puberty was written into the stories almost from the beginning, long before spergs started trying to figure out how you could have a mutant baby. When you are writing stories mostly for teenagers, you tend to add thematic elements that magnify the strangeness of puberty and also make it seem as though there are teenagers who are somehow immensely special and better than everyone else. (See: every single post-apocalyptic YA novel in the last two decades.)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I remember being kinda disappointed when I cleared puberty and the only mutant power I got was IBS.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My eyes are apertures to another dimension, but it's just a regular vision dimension.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

If you can't name each and every one of the super-stars depicted here, you'd better buy more Marvel comics!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm gonna nerd out about powers right here! In fact I'm gonna sperg. You've been warned.

So in X-Men Apocalypse En Sabah Nur wakes up after 5000 years out of commission and learns English and the history of the world from touching a TV, robbing us of the best fish-out-of-water comedy there could have been, and it makes absolutely no sense. Let's say he can tap into all the TV signals and learn information that way, then he'd still only get what's being broadcast at that moment. Does he access TV stations' archives via TV signal somehow? That'd be largely stored tapes that aren't even near a tape reader. Does he read the analog signal directly off the stored tapes and translate it in his head, before he can possibly know what an analog signal or a tape even is? And who the gently caress had that kind of power in the year 5000 B.C. and how did it seem useful enough that Apocalypse said, you know what, I'm having that?

The only way it makes any kind of sense to me is that someone wrote this scene with the internet in mind and took the laziest way out when they were told the internet thing was nixed because it's the eighties, rewrite that scene until lunch.

So what you're saying is that Apocalypse has access to the lost episodes of Doctor Who?

No wonder people were worshiping him as a God.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The existence of X-23, no matter how creepy and exploitative, was justified by this one moment with Spider-man:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Why is there four different spider-man's and what is the reason one of them is showing off his grundle?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wedemeyer posted:

what is the reason one of them is showing off his grundle?

Spider-Man just does that. A lot.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

I never quite understood why Iron Man is always portrayed as being one of the most powerful heroes, like top of the class.

In that picture they're comparing the maximum output of those characters and ironman even says he can only hang in that weight class for two seconds with like the best powersource

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I remember being kinda disappointed when I cleared puberty and the only mutant power I got was IBS.

I can pick my nose with my thumb

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Elfgames posted:

In that picture they're comparing the maximum output of those characters and ironman even says he can only hang in that weight class for two seconds with like the best powersource

There's a lot of things wrong in that lineup even by the levels of the time. She-Hulk and Surfer are both on the same class as the Thing, and I didn't think Ghost Rider was ever more than a middleweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

There's a lot of things wrong in that lineup even by the levels of the time. She-Hulk and Surfer are both on the same class as the Thing, and I didn't think Ghost Rider was ever more than a middleweight.

well yah i'm just saying ironman gave an excuse for why he was where he was