Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The Lord Bude posted:

Do what I did and upgrade your way into an iPhone.

Flagship Androids are pretty nice these days too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I was fantastically annoyed with my Android try in between my 920 and 950. May have been unlucky, but I don't regret switching away from that particular phone, even into the life of a beta software guinea pig :)

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

cvnvcnv posted:

Today's the day I can upgrade from my 1020 and what's this, the 950s and W10M have been such a trash fire that any chance of me getting a new Windows device have also gone up in smoke?

Zero surprise. :rip: in idiot pieces, you potentially magnificent platform that only disappointed and baffled ceaselessly.

Things have been on a downward slope since the end of 2014. Microsoft spent 2015 neglecting WP8.1 and their hardware. Then they released a half-finished mobile OS late with no compelling affordable hardware.

They really had a tremendous amount of goodwill in the community. Many people wanted to like windows phone and for a time the marketshare was continuously increasing, but Lumia sales weren't strong enough to save Nokia and Microsoft clearly acquired them without a plan for how to use them. Then they managed to botch the W10M launch so badly that it's clear that Microsoft doesn't know what they're doing the in the mobile space.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Never mind the following and billion$ spunked away: I just got my mum up and trained on a 640 after years on my old SLVR. Thanks Microsoft you great arse, how do I train an old lady to use an Android phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mr Funkface posted:

Thanks Microsoft you great arse, how do I train an old lady to use an Android phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lx.launcher8

:P

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mr Funkface posted:

Never mind the following and billion$ spunked away: I just got my mum up and trained on a 640 after years on my old SLVR. Thanks Microsoft you great arse, how do I train an old lady to use an Android phone.

If the choice is between a lower end phone running android or a lower end phone running Windows 8.1 I'd still pick the Windows phone without hesitation. WP 8.1 is very good as an old persons phone OS. Keyboard is really good, and the stuff old people are likely to do - ie actually use the phone to communicate with people - is handled very well with pinning individual contact tiles and text message/email tiles.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
New fast ring build.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/06/01/announcing-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-14356/

quote:

- We fixed an issue that resulted in the Glance screen clock occasionally not being up to date
- We fixed an issue where diversity emoji might show up as two characters (emoji and diversity modifier) in certain apps, including Messaging.
- Fixed an issue where Glance screen might show stale badge counters for a few seconds immediately after Glance appeared
-We fixed an issue that could result in Reminders not showing up at the correct time after upgrading.

YES

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like the official Windows 10 update for AT&T Lumia 640s is out now too.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

:aaaaa:

I'm scared though :ohdear: I'll probably wait till the weekend to try it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Chasiubao posted:

:aaaaa:

I'm scared though :ohdear: I'll probably wait till the weekend to try it.

Looks like it's build 10.0.10586.107

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr Funkface posted:

I mean, the future for the platform is looking drab, but if she is satisfied with what she has with the 640 then I think W10M is heading in a direction where you can probably let her stick with what she knows. The issue is more that Microsoft has created no compelling reason to switch to WP (and little to be excited for going forward), but if switching away seems a real hassle I think W10M will be fine for the foreseeable future.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

The Lord Bude posted:

Do what I did and upgrade your way into an iPhone.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Skype is a Win32 app. There was a Silverlight version for Windows Phone 7/8. Then there was a WinRT version for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1. Then they killed the WinRT versions for desktop, saying to use the Win32 version. Then for Windows 10 Skype was going to be integrated with Messages. Then they changed their mind and now there is a UWP app in preview right now.

This is a perfect microcosm for the whole windows phone saga.

New thread title: Windows Phone- Which Android Flagship are you going to buy?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

Looks like it's build 10.0.10586.107

If I never post again, tell the police it was W10M that did it.

Edit: Download failed :bravo: Should I do a hard-reset after the update or is it fairly stable?

Yup, repeated 8e5e0147 :saddowns:

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 4, 2016

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I didn't realize until now that the 512MB Lumia 635 can still be updated to recent WM10 builds through Windows Insider. Would've been good to know when I spent a month using it as my primary phone, the current release preview is a lot faster than the old beta I was on.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Update: Still can't even download the update.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Whoa the 950 at MS store had mega burn in on the screen.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Issue resolved: Install requires 1.7 GB free, and it must be internal storage. Well, lucky me, the built in and thus cannot be uninstalled Podcast app is holding a cool gig of phantom data! Looks like I need to factory reset first :sigh:

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
All you bemoaners, this WPhone shitshow is all part of the plan!

quote:

And so, where does this leave Windows 10 Mobile? The shortest answer is: it leaves Windows 10 Mobile exactly where Windows Phone began, and exactly where Microsoft has been telling us it resides. That is, Windows 10 Mobile is and will remain nothing more nor less than Microsoft’s Windows 10 SKU for OEMs that want to make Windows smartphones and other small Windows 10 devices. Windows 10 Mobile will take its place alongside every other Windows 10 SKU, right beside Windows 10 Home and Pro and Enterprise and IoT. Windows 10 Mobile is, in essence, the logical extension of Microsoft’s universal Windows 10 strategy — you can’t be Windows Everywhere if you don’t run on smartphones.

To be a little more precise, Windows 10 Mobile will serve as a secure, manageable mobile OS for OEMs like HP who want to offer complete soup-to-nuts Windows 10 solutions for business, and specifically enterprise, companies. Simply put, Microsoft will place the onus of manufacturing Windows 10 Mobile devices where the company has always intended, on its OEM partners.

Microsoft is now doing what they likely intended to do all along–act as the company that provides the (mobile) operating system for OEMs to use in making the (smartphone) hardware. A recent email from Microsoft’s Terry Myerson to partners makes that perfectly clear:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-not-given-windows-phone-heres

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Funkface posted:

All you bemoaners, this WPhone shitshow is all part of the plan!

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-not-given-windows-phone-heres

RVProfootballer posted:

2016 Microsoft: We're going to stop making Lumias hardware
Thread: Hmm, must mean a Surface Phone is imminent.

Who is going to step up and fulfill my prediction? :v:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Well, the link you are quoting contains a discussion of a surface phone which the author of that sprawling mess of a blog post appears to think is inevitable, so I guess you are aiming to fulfill it yourself?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Total time to update so far: 3+ hours. That's one factory reset, an update, another factory reset, and now another update. Wheeeee :toot:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Internet Explorer for WP8 was bad, but Microsoft Edge is SOOOOO BAD. Like, at least IE would just crash instead of continually chugging along but freezing and/or going glitchy every time you open a page with a couple of images on it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Oh for Christ's sake. Now my phone isn't recognized as a valid USB device by any PC. Now I can't access it to copy over ringtones or anything else.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
You know you can just download ringtones, right? It's not like an iPhone that requires a computer. And you can also connect via Bluetooth.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

wookieepelt posted:

You know you can just download ringtones, right? It's not like an iPhone that requires a computer. And you can also connect via Bluetooth.

I did not, actually! Will try that tomorrow then. Also not sure how to just straight download one. I tried copying from OneDrive to my local ringtone folder, but it didn't show up properly, and I read that using the File Explorer app doesn't count.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Chasiubao posted:

I did not, actually! Will try that tomorrow then. Also not sure how to just straight download one. I tried copying from OneDrive to my local ringtone folder, but it didn't show up properly, and I read that using the File Explorer app doesn't count.

Make sure the genre on them is set to "Ringtone". For some reason that matters.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Tivac posted:

Make sure the genre on them is set to "Ringtone". For some reason that matters.

I'll have to try that. The BT copy put them in the music folder, and moving them to the ringtone folder using file explorer resulted in the same problem if them not showing up :smith:

Edit: Still hosed!

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 6, 2016

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

Internet Explorer for WP8 was bad, but Microsoft Edge is SOOOOO BAD. Like, at least IE would just crash instead of continually chugging along but freezing and/or going glitchy every time you open a page with a couple of images on it.

If it's doing the crazy flickering thing, cold reboot your phone. Mine started with that poo poo a couple of weeks ago but a reboot fixed it and it's been okay since.

(Also, if anyone experiences the crazy gmail nonsense I was moaning about before, completely deleting the account from Outlook, rebooting, and re-adding it seemed to repair that for some reason.)

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

I did this upgrade yesterday. Had to factory reset once because the phone wouldn't sync contacts and email from my MS account, but things seem to be moving smoothly now. The one exception: Cortana's music commands aren't working. I say "play New Order" (or other artist/album/song) and she just does a search instead of actually playing things. That's a feature I use all the time in the car, so it might be a dealbreaker if I can't get it working. Do I have to explicitly enable that somewhere?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I've also had trouble where I ask her to create a reminder and instead she does a search :confused:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I did this upgrade yesterday. Had to factory reset once because the phone wouldn't sync contacts and email from my MS account, but things seem to be moving smoothly now. The one exception: Cortana's music commands aren't working. I say "play New Order" (or other artist/album/song) and she just does a search instead of actually playing things. That's a feature I use all the time in the car, so it might be a dealbreaker if I can't get it working. Do I have to explicitly enable that somewhere?

Have you let Groove launch & index all your music?

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

All ~20GB of music on my SD card is showing up in the library and it's been nearly a day, so I assume Groove's done all the indexing it needs to. Does Cortana do additional indexing on top of that?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

MS' forum says copy with usb, a mp3 to the Ringtones folder. Can't use Bluetooth, cant be wav, genre doesn't matter. I'll try this in a bit.

Chasiubao posted:

I'll have to try that. The BT copy put them in the music folder, and moving them to the ringtone folder using file explorer resulted in the same problem if them not showing up :smith:

Edit: Still hosed!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

The Lord Bude posted:

If the choice is between a lower end phone running android or a lower end phone running Windows 8.1 I'd still pick the Windows phone without hesitation. WP 8.1 is very good as an old persons phone OS. Keyboard is really good, and the stuff old people are likely to do - ie actually use the phone to communicate with people - is handled very well with pinning individual contact tiles and text message/email tiles.

Ah that gave me a good laugh. Keep em comin!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Partycat posted:

MS' forum says copy with usb, a mp3 to the Ringtones folder. Can't use Bluetooth, cant be wav, genre doesn't matter. I'll try this in a bit.

I can't copy with USB because the update hosed up my device. It won't register as a valid USB device when plugged into three different machines.

Luckily I finally got this to work, here is my stupid roundabout solution:

1. Find MP3 you want as a custom ringtone.
  2. Set genre to Ringtone (on the PC).
  3. Use BT send files to send the MP3 to the phone.
  4. Use File Explorer on the phone to move the MP3 from SD storage to internal storage (not sure if this was required).
  5. Find the old Nokia Ringtone Maker app.
  6. Load the copied MP3 into the app.
  7. Save the new Ringtone.
  8. :suicide:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

When I plug my phone in on WinPho 10, a "Windows Phone" thing pops up from somewhere. But that's all that occurs. There are no files. I enabled developer mode, as well as the couple of various USB things that were there (including Device Portal) and now I can see the files.

I put a MP3 into the Phone's "Ringtone" folder (there was not one on the storage card). Then I went into sounds and picked the file. Worked fine.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Partycat posted:

When I plug my phone in on WinPho 10, a "Windows Phone" thing pops up from somewhere. But that's all that occurs. There are no files. I enabled developer mode, as well as the couple of various USB things that were there (including Device Portal) and now I can see the files.

I put a MP3 into the Phone's "Ringtone" folder (there was not one on the storage card). Then I went into sounds and picked the file. Worked fine.

Right, when I plug my phone in I get a 'USB Device not Recognized' error from Windows and at that point I'm hosed. On 8.1 if I did that, I could see the device's folders in File Explorer on the PC and could drop files normally, and it worked.

This is specifically because USB no longer works for me :smith:

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

Right, when I plug my phone in I get a 'USB Device not Recognized' error from Windows and at that point I'm hosed. On 8.1 if I did that, I could see the device's folders in File Explorer on the PC and could drop files normally, and it worked.

This is specifically because USB no longer works for me :smith:

You checked the cables you're using? Hard reset?

My beloved 920 died because a cable I was using shorted and melted the phone input. Now a cable won't even fit. Bunch of bullshit that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mr Funkface posted:

You checked the cables you're using? Hard reset?

My beloved 920 died because a cable I was using shorted and melted the phone input. Now a cable won't even fit. Bunch of bullshit that was.

Yes. Multiple cables. This was after a hard reset, too.