Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Did they fix darkmoon blades on PC yet? I sat around for 20 minutes on five different characters and didn't get a summon. The game might be dead now for all I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Usually its in a few seconds of me appearing, or if I spot the Host. :argh: Face your death with dignity! It's even more frustrating when they have several phantoms with them, getting into a fight with those and they still quit out.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Krinkle posted:

Did they fix darkmoon blades on PC yet? I sat around for 20 minutes on five different characters and didn't get a summon. The game might be dead now for all I know.

You're better off putting on the gold serpent ring/mimic hat and farming silver knights.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Usually its in a few seconds of me appearing, or if I spot the Host. :argh: Face your death with dignity! It's even more frustrating when they have several phantoms with them, getting into a fight with those and they still quit out.

Well, whenever they alt-f4 they're actually incrementing an invisible counter that will eventually result in them getting temporarily banned from online. Small blessings :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Yes according to patch notes, no according to my experience and most other peoples'.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Should I feel bad for chuckling at this before rolling my eyes?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

That's the same load of parry apologist screed I see every time. Having to invest 40+ into vigor is not a reasonable expectation, and outright impossible for caster builds if they want to use anything other than a raw rear end.

As has been stated multiple times, unparryable attacks are either laughably slow (jumping attacks) or limited to heavy weapons, which comprise, what, maybe 1/4 of the weapons in the game? The curved sword spin arts are a weird anomaly to this and are cool, wish that went for more weapon arts.

And seriously? Firebombs? Poop? How can you honestly suggest that like it would make even an iota of difference. I guess if you want be fighting this person for the next half hour, have fun chipping them.

You can only get off a backstab if they're straight up standing still and not moving, hammering the parry button and nothing else. I've never seen anyone stupid enough to do THAT. You still have enough stamina after a partial parry to just... roll away. You won't be able to kill them and they use an estus and the whole drat thing repeats several times until they get lucky. Hell, a backstab generally won't be a one hit KO either and the same thing happens!

Also, I've never once had an attempt to kick not just end up with the parry fisher R1ing the poo poo out of me. It has like, no hitstun. Dead angling is obnoxious to perform and is almost certainly not an intended gameplay mechanic, so it's a poor excuse.

Also, 90% of the parry fishers ARE using a heavy weapon, or switch to it after the parry and before the riposte.

There's nothing "mindful" about parry fishing because the risk so vastly outweighs the reward. They're not being clever by hitting the button in vaguely the right time frame enough times that you eventually happen to line up with it.

If you're in a duel situation, chipping people down is absolutely effective.
If you're in an invasion, reducing someone's health slightly can be advantageous, because it may put them in a position where they either waste an estus charge (can be significant sometimes) to top themselves off, or potentially die in a weapon combo.

Poop was a joke suggestion, but Firebombs / Kukris actually do decent damage depending on your build.

You can actually backstab on a single failed parry, though with the Caestus it's difficult. The easiest way to bait a parry against most fishers is to display a pattern of moving close and swinging at them, or running attacking them, but not quite being in range.
Then just rush up and run right behind them and backstab as they whiff their parry. I literally do this all the time when invading.
If they're parry spamming with a Caestus, just delay an R2 enough to hit them with a partial. Now they have zero or near zero stamina and you can pressure them.
As before you can also just kick-> R1. You have to anticipate your opponent's parry to do this. You can also just dead angle and never get parried ever, if your weapon supports it.

I kill parry fishers all the time. I can safely say that when I get parried every now and then it's because I screwed up and was too predictable.
You may have to accept that you just need to improve your play against parry fishers. It's an often-used tactic because it's disproportionately effective against poor or average players. A good player can and will punish parry fishers.

I manage to do it pretty consistently and I'm not even that great.

In the current state of the game highly lethal ripostes are necessary to end fights quickly. You have options to avoid them, but it means you can't go running in swinging wildly.
This is one of the few bones invaders have thrown their way.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Healing being so cheap and easy necessitates having one-shots or other huge burst damage abilities, so it's not exclusively grossly overpowered parries that make the PvP kinda stupid, but it's still degenerative as gently caress because parries are one of a very limited number of ways to deal that burst damage in a 1-on-1 situation and the risk for failure is a lot lower than the reward (i.e. you don't instantly lose for failing a parry).

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Tykero posted:

If you're in a duel situation, chipping people down is absolutely effective.
If you're in an invasion, reducing someone's health slightly can be advantageous, because it may put them in a position where they either waste an estus charge (can be significant sometimes) to top themselves off, or potentially die in a weapon combo.

Poop was a joke suggestion, but Firebombs / Kukris actually do decent damage depending on your build.

You can actually backstab on a single failed parry, though with the Caestus it's difficult. The easiest way to bait a parry against most fishers is to display a pattern of moving close and swinging at them, or running attacking them, but not quite being in range.
Then just rush up and run right behind them and backstab as they whiff their parry. I literally do this all the time when invading.
If they're parry spamming with a Caestus, just delay an R2 enough to hit them with a partial. Now they have zero or near zero stamina and you can pressure them.
As before you can also just kick-> R1. You have to anticipate your opponent's parry to do this. You can also just dead angle and never get parried ever, if your weapon supports it.

I kill parry fishers all the time. I can safely say that when I get parried every now and then it's because I screwed up and was too predictable.
You may have to accept that you just need to improve your play against parry fishers. It's an often-used tactic because it's disproportionately effective against poor or average players. A good player can and will punish parry fishers.

I manage to do it pretty consistently and I'm not even that great.

In the current state of the game highly lethal ripostes are necessary to end fights quickly. You have options to avoid them, but it means you can't go running in swinging wildly.
This is one of the few bones invaders have thrown their way.

I think the best way to kill parry fishers now is just run at them for jump attacks. Non of them can be parried and you get a strong attack on them. That's what I do every time I find a parry spammer.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Internet Kraken posted:

Gotthard twinsword are the pokey swords. I honestly haven't seen them that much despite doing tons of invading, I guess because of how late in the game they are. Not sure how to play around someone that spams the rolling attack other than to try to parry it if they are really predictable.

Farron greatsword is not a joke at all, its just used by a ton of bad players. The spin is really, really annoying. Rolling through it is unreliable due to the weird hitbox and lag. Its simply not worth the risk. You're better off playing it safe and waiting for a chance to punish the move, but that's hard to pull off. Fighting a good player with that weapon sucks cause every fight takes ages.

Thanks for letting me know about the Farron GS, I'll try rolling away until they run out of mana (which may not work of they use a Simple offhand). I faced 3 Gotthards in about a dozen fights earlier, and I've seen them before. The only time I beat someone was when he was too aggressive and attacked to the side of me behind a roll, so Greataxe R1 R1 and game over. If they're good I just don't know what else to try.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

Thanks for letting me know about the Farron GS, I'll try rolling away until they run out of mana (which may not work of they use a Simple offhand). I faced 3 Gotthards in about a dozen fights earlier, and I've seen them before. The only time I beat someone was when he was too aggressive and attacked to the side of me behind a roll, so Greataxe R1 R1 and game over. If they're good I just don't know what else to try.

The Farron GS doesn't use FP for its L1 combos. Also the Gotthard twin blades rolling L1 I imagine is hard to parry because it is incredibly fast. Like as soon as they come out of the roll they will thrust both swords at you. Just be careful and time it right i guess.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MarshyMcFly posted:

The Farron GS doesn't use FP for its L1 combos. Also the Gotthard twin blades rolling L1 I imagine is hard to parry because it is incredibly fast. Like as soon as they come out of the roll they will thrust both swords at you. Just be careful and time it right i guess.

Dangit, I guess I'll just have to git gudder

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Filthy Hans posted:

I don't think the farron greatsword spin move uses mana, and yeah even if it did a simple caestus would negate that issue anyways. Something to note about it though; when people say punish it with a backstab, they mean if the user does the full combo of spin spin jumpattack. That jump attack is super easy to avoid and punish. However, a good player is never gonna use that jump attack anyways cause it sucks. Using the farron gs as a normal weapon with offhand parry built in and occasionally spinning is way more effective in PvP.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think the farron greatsword spin move uses mana, and yeah even if it did a simple caestus would negate that issue anyways. Something to note about it though; when people say punish it with a backstab, they mean if the user does the full combo of spin spin jumpattack. That jump attack is super easy to avoid and punish. However, a good player is never gonna use that jump attack anyways cause it sucks. Using the farron gs as a normal weapon with offhand parry built in and occasionally spinning is way more effective in PvP.

the parry on it loving blows. the damage blows for the stamina cost. use something else.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I just want to say I appreciate the fact that Wolnir is always in his room and doesn't magically appear when you pick up the item. Dude is just sitting there watching you walk around in the dark. I'm gonna see if you just stay in the room without triggering him maybe he falls asleep or something

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
He's actually reading the book before you steal it like a rude bastard.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wolnir has a whole bunch of poo poo you'd never see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucBFyHbR63w

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

TaurusOxford posted:

You're better off putting on the gold serpent ring/mimic hat and farming silver knights.

I did that. I respecced to a 99 luck build put on the gold serpent ring +1 and the mimic hat and popped about a thousand rusted coins. It took me 24 hours. Literally 24 hours. Of my life. I was just wondering if I could play the game as intended, yet.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

SynthOrange posted:

Wolnir has a whole bunch of poo poo you'd never see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucBFyHbR63w

so if you suicidally bolt past him, the last thing you might get a glimpse of are those telltale splatters of liquid humanity from the Abyss?

that's neat as heck

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Krinkle posted:

No they haven't fixed it and I doubt they will, but you can try the family account trick https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/357286119111456394/

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

scamtank posted:

so if you suicidally bolt past him, the last thing you might get a glimpse of are those telltale splatters of liquid humanity from the Abyss?

that's neat as heck

I'll splatter your abyss with liquid humanity

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anybody have an opinion on the Immolation Tinder? I just got one from those Irithyllian witches and I was wondering it's worth respeccing into sorcery for.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

So, Smouldering Lake... :stare:

If I go one way I get pasted by giant arrows, go the other way and get cooked by giant laser worm.

Found the catacombs underneath, but I must have a bad setup as those pyromancers with the great machetes own my poo poo. And then you see that there's dead Capra and Taurus Demons around, and then an axe wielding black knight whoops the poo poo out of you!

Any tips for those pyromancers? It's taking a shitload of hits for me to kill one, and I can see that room with multiple ones ahead...

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

So, Smouldering Lake... :stare:

If I go one way I get pasted by giant arrows, go the other way and get cooked by giant laser worm.

Found the catacombs underneath, but I must have a bad setup as those pyromancers with the great machetes own my poo poo. And then you see that there's dead Capra and Taurus Demons around, and then an axe wielding black knight whoops the poo poo out of you!

Any tips for those pyromancers? It's taking a shitload of hits for me to kill one, and I can see that room with multiple ones ahead...

If you stand behind the worm, the ballista will kill it for you. As for the pyromancers, they turn really slowly so they are super vulnerable to backstabs. Other than that, I just whittled them with arrows.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Friendly Humour posted:

Anybody have an opinion on the Immolation Tinder? I just got one from those Irithyllian witches and I was wondering it's worth respeccing into sorcery for.

The good news is that it's more or less the best weapon spell catalyst. The bad news is that it's still inferior to actual spell catalysts.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gologle posted:

The good news is that it's more or less the best weapon spell catalyst. The bad news is that it's still inferior to actual spell catalysts.

Well cool, my major bugbear with sorcery has been that I cannot for the life of me get the hang of weapon/shield switching in combat. Soul greatsword should work pretty with it yeah?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Gologle posted:

Spells cast by it deal an irrelevant amount of damage less at 60 INT, compared to the top cats. I won countless more battles by having the Immolation Tinder for a melee weapon than dealing a little extra.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What is the first level called after you next the game? New game or new game plus?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

What is the first level called after you next the game? New game or new game plus?

New game +. The idea is if you just start the whole game again from scratch that's a "New Game" so starting again with all your poo poo is "New Game +"

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Immolation Tinder does good damage, has good reach, it's pretty rad. You can still cast hidden body and suprise motherfuckers with it and it's fun to spam fire at folks with the L2

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Friendly Humour posted:

Well cool, my major bugbear with sorcery has been that I cannot for the life of me get the hang of weapon/shield switching in combat. Soul greatsword should work pretty with it yeah?

Read MrLonghair's post. It's not a good spell catalyst. use it as a melee weapon with utility spells.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I found a weird bug in Archdragon Peak the other day, it happened when I was going to fight the Drakeblood knight the snake summons in the room with the two staircases that's right next to the bonfire. So I run into the room, the summoner starts spawning him and I realize I should put on more lightning resist so I ran back out to the bonfire and swapped out my equipment. When I go back into the room the Drakeblood is incapable of walking down the stairs, instead running around as if the air was an invisible floor. I could shoot arrows into him but he would just run around in the air above me. It was really bizarre. I was able to replicate this three different times so now I'm curious why this NPC can treat empty space as walkable.

Edit: Durp, I guess this is more common than I initially thought. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaoGtesD1So. It seems so weird to me that a glitch like this is even possible in the game. It's not even that hard to pull off.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 3, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

New game +. The idea is if you just start the whole game again from scratch that's a "New Game" so starting again with all your poo poo is "New Game +"

Technically it's called "Journey 2" in game but everyone calls it NG+ because of Chrono Trigger.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

How is it possible that I get counter invaded 3 TIMES by 3 different blues during a single invasion but i can't get 1 summon as a blade of the darkmoon, after wearing it for an hour...at the same level....this is so ridiculous.....

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

MarshyMcFly posted:

How is it possible that I get counter invaded 3 TIMES by 3 different blues during a single invasion but i can't get 1 summon as a blade of the darkmoon, after wearing it for an hour...at the same level....this is so ridiculous.....

Because autosummon covenants are bugged as hell and simply doesn't work for some people. Sentinels/darkmoon seems to be especially bad.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

MarshyMcFly posted:

Same thing happened to me. Invaded in the undead settlement. And three floating red eyes immediately pop up. Well gently caress me. And over two play throughs I have not been summoned once. Working as intended.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Atreiden posted:

Because autosummon covenants are bugged as hell and simply doesn't work for some people. Sentinels/darkmoon seems to be especially bad.

Its literally only the blue covenants that just won't work for me any more. I've literally been using my character to get autosummoned for the watchdogs at level 30 and a +3 weapon and Aldrich faithful at level 60 with a +6 weapon and both of those covenants worked perfectly fine if I stayed in that level range. I try using the blue covenant at the same levels and I get nothing. It just doesn't make sense to me lol.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

MarshyMcFly posted:

Its literally only the blue covenants that just won't work for me any more. I've literally been using my character to get autosummoned for the watchdogs at level 30 and a +3 weapon and Aldrich faithful at level 60 with a +6 weapon and both of those covenants worked perfectly fine if I stayed in that level range. I try using the blue covenant at the same levels and I get nothing. It just doesn't make sense to me lol.

Was the same for me. If you're on PC you can try this workaround, worked for me. https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/357286119111456394/
But it's a bit annoying to have to switch steam account to get a basic part of the game working.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
"pontiff" means pope but it literally means bridge-builder. His church in irithyll is a bridge to where the gods live, replacing the literal bridge that used to end at the darkmoon elevator and apparently fell down or turned invisible at some point. That's nice i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Atreiden posted:

Was the same for me. If you're on PC you can try this workaround, worked for me. https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/357286119111456394/
But it's a bit annoying to have to switch steam account to get a basic part of the game working.

Im not on PC but thanks anyways.