Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Is D a good game, or at least an entertaining one? My friends and I play horror games every week and I'm wondering if this'd be a good addition.

Also I want to just say over and over again "I got the D, guys, I can't wait to show it to you."

Edit: Because I'm a child, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I thought Emily in Until Dawn had some pretty interesting reasons to be a bitch! It was obviously (not really a spoiler, but w/e) a front for her insecurities, bossing everyone around and making them do everything for her. Because as soon as she was completely by herself and had to survive in a cave, she was surprisingly self-reliant and kinda dropped the bitch-act because well, no one was around to see it. Totally a social coping mechanism where she has to be in control of everyone else to feel in control of a situation/not uncomfortable. She was far less of a spoiled princess when she was actually roughing it by herself, without any social elements to get hung up on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Is D a good game, or at least an entertaining one? My friends and I play horror games every week and I'm wondering if this'd be a good addition.

Also I want to just say over and over again "I got the D, guys, I can't wait to show it to you."

I think it's worth experiencing, whether live or through a video. It's strictly 2 hours and pretty straightforward. It's a good game for the peanut gallery to add their own MST3K commentary and bullshit around.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Watch lets plays of D and D2 first I'd say

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Coolguye posted:

Watch lets plays of D and D2 first I'd say

Before playing them? Why's that?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
D because there isn't enough interactivity to justify paying any money/spending any time for it at this point before you have something special in mind (like a friend night) and D2 because the interactivity is frustrating enough that a lot of people will throw it away this day and age. If you get 45 minutes into D2 and don't think "GEE THAT LOOKS REALLY UNFUN" then turn off the LP and set something up yourself.

The thing to remember about basically any older game is that any flaws they had when they came out will probably have only gotten worse with time, and due to Eno's Ideas about bizarre concepts like "digital actresses" the D games were pretty flawed even on release.

They're still worth experiencing of course, but I'd start in the low effort way.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You would definitely want to watch an LP of Enemy Zero. I watched SuperGreatFriend's LP and whoo boy I can only imagine how frustrating it would be going into that game blind.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Oxenfree, it was fun but the ending was pretty abrupt, not sure how much I missed or how much you can actually effect the story. I think I got the 'best' ending though everyone survived and I didn't give the ghosts Clarissa, still stuck in a time loop however.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Are we talking about D2 the unspeakably bizarre Dreamcast games? Because I would like to have some drinks with whoever made that game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would too :(

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VoidBurger posted:

I thought Emily in Until Dawn had some pretty interesting reasons to be a bitch! It was obviously (not really a spoiler, but w/e) a front for her insecurities, bossing everyone around and making them do everything for her. Because as soon as she was completely by herself and had to survive in a cave, she was surprisingly self-reliant and kinda dropped the bitch-act because well, no one was around to see it. Totally a social coping mechanism where she has to be in control of everyone else to feel in control of a situation/not uncomfortable. She was far less of a spoiled princess when she was actually roughing it by herself, without any social elements to get hung up on.

I remember her still being kinda annoying when by herself, she just didn't have anyone to take it out on. I found Jessica to be a better example of a "not as she seems" subversion of a horror stereotype. At the beginning of the game when it seems like everyone is going to fall prey to stereotypes, she seems like the archetypal "dumb slutty blonde who gets killed first". Then her first interaction with Mike shows them having actual romantic chemistry instead of shallow lust, and he actively works to help and protect her when she's in trouble. The "inevitable sex scene" is just as likely to end with her stopping to talk about her insecurities instead.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

VoidBurger posted:

Also she had the awesomest escape sequence of the lot!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Sakurazuka posted:

I would too :(
I wouldn't; Kenji Eno sounded like a massive dick. Like when he prodded the dude into doing the music for Enemy Zero by trapping him in a room for hours after the composer said he didn't want to work on the project.

Morpheus posted:

None of Kenji Eno's games are 'good' in the sense of being fun. They merely tried to be innovative or avant-garde, such as his focus on the idea of a digital actor, but in the end the games were clunky messes. The only real saving grace for D is that it's mercifully short clocking in at just under two hours of real game play.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Niggurath posted:

None of Kenji Eno's games are 'good' in the sense of being fun. They merely tried to be innovative or avant-garde, such as his focus on the idea of a digital actor, but in the end the games were clunky messes. The only real saving grace for D is that it's mercifully short clocking in at just under two hours of real game play.

Holy poo poo this gave me flashbacks to my drama professor.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Holy poo poo this gave me flashbacks to my drama professor.
I mean I can't fault him for the more simple games that Warp made, like the Puyo Puyo game, or the audio based game he made for blind folks. But D, D2, and Enemy Zero (which I find are his more commonly referenced titles) were painful affairs. Take Enemy Zero for example; it's got what should be a tension filled mechanic of an invisible monster roaming the halls that can kill you in one shot but then the best way they though to express where the monster was was via Aliens-esque radar pinging noises, such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZgYP7WUL0&t=180s. It could be scary or tense, but it's painfully grating and this is coupled with so many other odd game play choices.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I found Enemy Zero to be simplistic once you know the rules and D2 is one of the better survival horrors of its time. It's fully 3D, exploration of interior areas is done via first person, battles are conducted stationary like a rail shooter, and you can hunt to heal up. It's more like Parasite Eve than Resident Evil. Illbleed came out around this same time and I was so happy to play these weird rear end games.

I'd say check out HVGN's trilogy of videos and gauge your interest from there.

Also the Splatterhouse reboot is good, gently caress the bad reviews they don't know poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

al-azad posted:

Also the Splatterhouse reboot is good, gently caress the bad reviews they don't know poo poo.

You can also get the thing for like the price of a burger by this point as well, also it was a pretty fun little action beat em up in the first place.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

I agree. You also unlock the original trilogy too once you beat the game so you practically get the entire series in one game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

Yardbomb posted:

You can also get the thing for like the price of a burger by this point as well, also it was a pretty fun little action beat em up in the first place.

Accordion Man posted:

I agree. You also unlock the original trilogy too once you beat the game so you practically get the entire series in one game.

I enjoyed my time with it too. The only thing that would have made it just a bit better, at least for me, was if Rick's hits had just a little more "Omph" behind them. Kinda felt like you were hitting the enemies with wet noodles instead of big hulking demon infused freak hands.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

al-azad posted:

What's that now? Is it this one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatterhouse_%282010_video_game%29

I LOVED Splatterhouse on the Genesis, it was one of the most satisfying beat em ups I've played to this day.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RightClickSaveAs posted:

What's that now? Is it this one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatterhouse_%282010_video_game%29

I LOVED Splatterhouse on the Genesis, it was one of the most satisfying beat em ups I've played to this day.
Yeah, its that one.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, its that one.
Awesome, I had no idea that existed.

The Splatterhouse games just had this visceral feel to it where it felt like the hits were all landing, the combat was awesome. Plus it was a really gory game to play as a teenager, it was the most violent thing I managed to find for the Genesis.

e: whoah Lamb of God and Mastodon on the soundtrack :black101:

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 4, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Awesome, I had no idea that existed.

The Splatterhouse games just had this visceral feel to it where it felt like the hits were all landing, the combat was awesome. Plus it was a really gory game to play as a teenager, it was the most violent thing I managed to find for the Genesis.

e: whoah Lamb of God and Mastodon on the soundtrack :black101:

Play it if you can find it :)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I feel like splatter house is always at game stops 3 dollar bin for the 360

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
This is too bad:
https://twitter.com/allisonroad_hq/status/739251685265117184

I wonder if this is the publisher falling through, and if they could start another Kickstarter.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

God loving dammit, anything remotely related to P.T. is cursed now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Allison Road getting cancelled depresses me hugely. There has to be SOMEBODY who can pull this idea off without a hitch.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Gann Jerrod posted:

This is too bad:
https://twitter.com/allisonroad_hq/status/739251685265117184

I wonder if this is the publisher falling through, and if they could start another Kickstarter.

Is anyone actually surprised by this?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
It'd be a bad move to call it a cancellation if they have the option of getting funding elsewhere, so either Team17 own all the rights now or the devs have decided they're not actually capable of making the game they promised.

Basticle posted:

Slightly, yeah? They had a real publisher throw money at them to make it, so obviously someone in the industry thought the game was viable.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
maybe they'll release what work they have left to the public

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I've heard that Layers of Fear is very PT esque.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In general I guess but it also one of the most amazingly unsubtle horror games I've ever played, hope you like jump scares every two minutes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Basticle posted:

Yes. Team17 has been self publishing for 20+ years and has successfully been publishing third party games like The Escapist and soon to be Yooka Laylee. So for the devs to cancel a game that had a strong publisher attached means something major must've happened behind the scenes.

Maybe the devs were pulling the wool over everyone's eyes and couldn't produce any real content in which case it's a good thing it wasn't crowd funded or there would be a lot of upset people.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 5, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I think that PT's excellence came from it being a new and completely unexpected thing that no one had really done before. Any imitator is gonna be lesser by virtue of not doing something new IMHO.

gently caress, I hope Kojima's new company is doing a horror game :smithcloud:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Oh, I hadnt realized they had a publisher, the last I had heard of Allison Road was back when Silent Hills was cancelled.

al-azad posted:

I'd say check out HVGN's trilogy of videos and gauge your interest from there.

I clicked this link when you posted it and actually enjoy this guys videos a lot. I just started watching this one where he plays some PS1 horror games. Hes playing a game I've never even heard of called Juggernaut, which he describes as "D but weirder". Anyone know of a good LP to watch?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hello fellow fans of terror, this seems like the right place to inquire: has anyone made a mod for Resident Evil HD Remake that restores the original soundtrack? A few of the tracks on the Steam version are noticeably different, and it's annoying to me.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think that PT's excellence came from it being a new and completely unexpected thing that no one had really done before. Any imitator is gonna be lesser by virtue of not doing something new IMHO.

gently caress, I hope Kojima's new company is doing a horror game :smithcloud:

Hope springs eternal, eh friend?

:unsmith:

E: You just made me think of the awesome trailer for Silent Hills, rear end in a top hat

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Hello fellow fans of terror, this seems like the right place to inquire: has anyone made a mod for Resident Evil HD Remake that restores the original soundtrack? A few of the tracks on the Steam version are noticeably different, and it's annoying to me.

Do you mean that the music is different from the Gamecube version? (I havent played the PC version yet)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Basticle posted:

I clicked this link when you posted it and actually enjoy this guys videos a lot. I just started watching this one where he plays some PS1 horror games. Hes playing a game I've never even heard of called Juggernaut, which he describes as "D but weirder". Anyone know of a good LP to watch?
I had heard about it when I was looking up info when I was doing a Hellnight LP, but I wasn't sure how well an LP would work for it since it's mostly static screens with a bunch of puzzles littered about. But actually watching video of it, maybe it could be a good LP to do? Sadly doing a cursory search of youtube brings up nothing that I'd recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basticle posted:

Do you mean that the music is different from the Gamecube version? (I havent played the PC version yet)

Yes. A few tracks including the Lab music are noticeably different and sampled at the wrong speed.