Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Chaotic Flame posted:

Quick question about Arianne Martell in AGoT:

Am I missing something with her ability because I keep reading about people using her in ways that I'm not grasping or her being a much bigger deal than I would think (she's already pretty great)? I've seen people say she grants extra stands but I'm not sure I understand how. Unless it's by using her in a challenge and then bouncing her for a new character who is standing. The wording of the things I'm reading makes it seem like characters that are already on the board are able to stand by using her in some way. Am I misreading or is that possible due to a rules thing I'm overlooking?

There's no way her ability can cause people already on board to stand. I checked cardgamedb to see if there was a convo about it but just found one about being able to throw dupes onto people for free without having to pay her cost of returning to hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Necrons are out in Conquest, and they're looking really good. Both warlords are strong and lend themselves to quite diverse and unusual deck shapes. It remains to be seen how well they'll fare in tournaments, but I have a good feeling about this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How do Necrons and Tyranids work for the purposes of deck building?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

How do Necrons and Tyranids work for the purposes of deck building?

Tyranids are outside the alignment wheel. No allies.

Necrons are in the center of the alignment wheel, and you can put common units from any factions in your deck, but you choose at the start of your turn which faction you are allowed to play in addition to Necron units by selecting that faction on your "enslavement dial."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Carteret posted:

Tyranids are outside the alignment wheel. No allies.

Necrons are in the center of the alignment wheel, and you can put common units from any factions in your deck, but you choose at the start of your turn which faction you are allowed to play in addition to Necron units by selecting that faction on your "enslavement dial."

baller

kinda surprised that they gave nids enough support in one big box to run them as a faction, tho

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Lions of Casterly Rock is the next big box for AGoT. Huh.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You know who needed more good cards?

Basically anyone but Lannister. Still gonna wreck them with Martell(Banner of the Lion), so w/e.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Lions of Casterly Rock is the next big box for AGoT. Huh.

Allegedly an italian distributor had spoiled this from a while back, but I really hoped it wasn't true.

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 2, 2016

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

All the Lannister you can handle.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

sassassin posted:

Protector of Lorien is the only core card I even use any more.

Gandalf (Sneak Attack), Henamarth Riversong, Unexpected Courage, Steward of Gondor, Celebrian's Stone, Horn of Gondor, A Test of Will, Feint...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fat Samurai posted:

Gandalf (Sneak Attack), Henamarth Riversong, Unexpected Courage, Steward of Gondor, Celebrian's Stone, Horn of Gondor, A Test of Will, Feint...

Those cards are so 2015

Gandalf is a crutch

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Swagger Dagger posted:

You know who needed more good cards?

Basically anyone but Lannister. Still gonna wreck them with Martell(Banner of the Lion), so w/e.

You know the game was going too well. It needed a good bed-making GBS threads. More Lannister cards!!

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
That new 7-cost Cersei is really good. Good strength, the best icons, very relevant ability. New Tyrion not so much due to restrictive deckbuilding and comparing poorly against old Tyrion.

nyxnyxnyx fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 2, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's sorta understandable since they seem to want to do things in vaguely chronological order, and the first book or so is where Lannister gets all their power plays and we're introduced to all their notable characters. I definitely would have preferred Night's Watch though because oh boy let me tell you how boring it is to sit on The Wall.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

baller

kinda surprised that they gave nids enough support in one big box to run them as a faction, tho

Yeah, it's interesting. Several people in my area have used this as a way to get into the game more easily - a Nids player can buy the Nids box and a core set and basically be good to go as long as they stick to Tyranids decks, and can actually skip the entire first cycle of packs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

sassassin posted:

Those cards are so 2015
2011, technically.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aw man I just found out that the next Pathfinder Adventure Path is about Cthulhus and I want that to be a card game like

Now

Arkham Horror doesn't count

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Aw man I just found out that the next Pathfinder Adventure Path is about Cthulhus and I want that to be a card game like

Now

Arkham Horror doesn't count

Well FFG may be coming out with an answer for you.

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/30734678/news.jpg

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

frgildan posted:

Well FFG may be coming out with an answer for you.

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/30734678/news.jpg

Arkham Hirror doesn't count I just said that sheesh

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
The Thing in the Depths is out!

If it wasn't enough that Tactics is getting a 4 willpower hero, Spirit's getting a 3 atk ranged. Plus the Raiment of War counting as 2 restricted attachments is another cool new bit of design space explored.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I actually thought Arkham Horror was a Batman LCG. I'm very disappointed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Single Tight Female posted:

The Thing in the Depths is out!

If it wasn't enough that Tactics is getting a 4 willpower hero, Spirit's getting a 3 atk ranged. Plus the Raiment of War counting as 2 restricted attachments is another cool new bit of design space explored.

And people say power creep isn't real. That hawk can murder an eagle.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Llanister spoilers from Across the Seven Kingdoms.

quote:

Janos slynt
House Lannister - Loyal
Character, Cost 5, STR: 2, MIL INT icons
Mercenary, Intimidate
Action: Pay 1 gold to give Janos Slynt +2 STR until the end of the phase

quote:

Levies at the rock
House lannister - Non loyal
Event, Cost 0

Reaction: After a player initiates a challenge against you move up to X gold from that players gold pool to your own. where X is the number of attacking charachters

Janos seems pretty good, Levies is just a defensive loot to stop your opponent from using events I guess? I don't think it's that good.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I def don't think I'd run Levies, but Janos seems real good with old Tyrion.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Reread the text on levies and yea don't think it worth running.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

frgildan posted:

Levies isn't unique or limited. You could have one or two out and really bankrupt your oppent

It's an event, not a location

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

That would be levees at The Rock.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sassassin posted:

And people say power creep isn't real. That hawk can murder an eagle.

Do you even like this game? Or are you just the most negative wet blanket ever?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Do you disagree? Or are you just white-knighting a game company?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
That was the most sassassin response you could have given.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ChiTownEddie posted:

That was the most sassassin response you could have given.

I almost used the one about how trying to discredit the poster is what someone does when they know a post is right but are too insecure to admit it, but you're spot on. That one felt more natural.

Things we like can have flaws. It can be interesting to discuss them. Or poke fun. You don't have to be so defensive on this safe internet space for people with $10.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah I do disagree.

To me, power creep means that newer cards are better in every meaningful way and that you're better off using them instead of older cards in nearly every situation. I don't think that's true. There are still a number of cards in the core sets and early cycles that are broadly viable in many decks (and the duds from older sets were pretty much all duds to begin with).

Then again "power creep" shouldn't matter in a single player / co-op game, because there's no competitive meta to keep up with. If you think that power creep in new sets is ruining the game balance and making it un fun, you can just not play with the cards you consider overpowered. No need to powergame it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't think I've suggested it ruins the game, just that it exists.

But I guess I do feel that Spirit getting a Tactics-level fighter, and Tactics literally getting a Spirit quester ruins things a little bit. Be interesting to see if mono-sphere becomes more popular when the "boat arrives".

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Oh, turns out the entirety of The Thing in the Depths is on cardgamedb

The previously unspoiled player cards are a bit meh? Don't see myself exhausting a hero for 2 resources in Leadership of all spheres, Guarded Ceaselessly I guess makes Snowbourn Scouts a little more useful but is really only good for quests with locations you never want to travel to (or explore) and Master Ironsmith is basically a safety switch for quests with forced discarding? I mean the statline is ok and he's Gondor but...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I can see Guarded Ceaselessly working well in a silvan/Galadriel deck.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Oh, I like that. You'd want it to be tri-sphere then I suppose since Naith Guide is presumably the best option for that. Lórien Guide and Mirkwood Runner could be used in a pinch but I don't think you'd want to be using them repeatedly, and that's the only way Guarded Ceaselessly is really worth it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Oh, I like that. You'd want it to be tri-sphere then I suppose since Naith Guide is presumably the best option for that. Lórien Guide and Mirkwood Runner could be used in a pinch but I don't think you'd want to be using them repeatedly, and that's the only way Guarded Ceaselessly is really worth it.

Rumil and Orophin are also scouts.

Haldir (ally) isn't, annoyingly, but his Hero is Ranger and Scout and you'll want him ready during questing to use his ability anyway.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I was basically dismissing them out of hand because they both have 2 willpower anyway, so you could just commit them to the quest. Plus they're both 2 atk ranged so in multi you'd probably rather leave them up for fighting. Obviously they could be used.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I was basically dismissing them out of hand because they both have 2 willpower anyway, so you could just commit them to the quest. Plus they're both 2 atk ranged so in multi you'd probably rather leave them up for fighting. Obviously they could be used.

In a Galadriel/silvan spam deck they don't exhaust to quest on their first turn, so they can do both. And there's plenty of cards that let you pick them back up to play again next turn (especially if the deck is quad-sphere like my current one).

Creating things for in-exhausted questers to do if no enemies appear is very useful to those decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I literally said they could be used. Give it a rest for cripes sake.