Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

But the whole point of Cinderella wearing glass slippers was to tell the reader that she takes small, dainty steps. I mean, that's :thejoke: If anyone else tried to wear them, they'd be torn to shreds, but she was so delicate and feminine she could literally walk on glass.

I mean this is an era which gave us "The Princess and the Pea" where a perfect woman was supposed to be so sensitive she could feel a single pea beneath fifty mattresses.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

But the whole point of Cinderella wearing glass slippers was to tell the reader that she takes small, dainty steps. I mean, that's :thejoke: If anyone else tried to wear them, they'd be torn to shreds, but she was so delicate and feminine she could literally walk on glass.

I mean this is an era which gave us "The Princess and the Pea" where a perfect woman was supposed to be so sensitive she could feel a single pea beneath fifty mattresses.

Also, people seriously underestimate the strength of glass

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
OMG those were ACE. Do you have any more?

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012
Incoming.

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I love a good slur in my comics every now and then.

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Ok those are loving great

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I love a good slur in my comics every now and then.

Dead children, religious blasphemy, animal cruelty, rape, and yes now that you mention it, shemales.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Dead children, religious blasphemy, animal cruelty, rape, and yes now that you mention it, shemales.

Neat.

What else do you guys like seeing pop up in comics unexpectedly?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

Neat.

Sometimes my friend cuts a hole in Beetle Bailey and when I read it he pushes his penis through it and yells "I'M TRYING MY BEST SARGE!"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

RareAcumen posted:

Neat.

Jokes.

Yesterdays Piss
Nov 8, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's actually a translation error. She was wearing shoes made of "vair" in the original French, which is really fancy fur usually only worn by the aristocracy. There seems to have been some confusion with the homophobe "verre," meaning glass. I like your interpretation better though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Sometimes my friend cuts a hole in Beetle Bailey and when I read it he pushes his penis through it and yells "I'M TRYING MY BEST SARGE!"

If he offers to take you to a shooting range, decline.

Wow, that's really fricked up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Those Jeroom comics can get hosed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Daddy Marbles posted:

There seems to have been some confusion with the homophobe

Sounded more like transphobia to me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, that's really hosed up.

It's wordplay. If one panel had said females and the other had said transgendered it wouldn't have flowed as well. Also too many syllables to be realistically yelled by gate guards.

And to be honest, I also found several of those comics to be very offensive. It's crude humor.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Seems to me the gate guards were transphobic but like big titties more than they fear Others

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Daddy Marbles posted:

It's actually a translation error. She was wearing shoes made of "vair" in the original French, which is really fancy fur usually only worn by the aristocracy. There seems to have been some confusion with the homophobe "verre," meaning glass. I like your interpretation better though.

Actually, it's not true and it was glass.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krispy Kareem posted:

And to be honest, I also found several of those comics to be very offensive. It's crude humor.

They get even cruder, in one of the strips Popeye runs to the store to buy some spinach but they're out of stock so he has to stand by and watch while Bluto rapes Olive Oyle.

Yesterdays Piss
Nov 8, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Actually, it's not true and it was glass.

Oh dang. You're right. My bad. My elementary school teacher told us it was wrong and the official dictionary of the Academie Francaise alludes to it in it's entry on "vair."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I feel like not having shemales in comics is excluding them and imo exclusion isn't right.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Daddy Marbles posted:

Oh dang. You're right. My bad. My elementary school teacher told us it was wrong and the official dictionary of the Academie Francaise alludes to it in it's entry on "vair."

There are so many different versions of the old fairy tales, I'm not surprised everyone has heard different versions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's wordplay. If one panel had said females and the other had said transgendered it wouldn't have flowed as well. Also too many syllables to be realistically yelled by gate guards.

I don't believe any of this but I do think that those are terrible guards because they're opening the gate so quickly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I don't believe any of this but I do think that those are terrible guards because they're opening the gate so quickly.

Counterpoint, titties.

Moving on from gender slurs to racial ones, the latest issue of Playboy had a PBF comic in it. The beachball one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
This one?

Does that even work in print? Also, how is it racist?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can we have Achewood back please?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Jun 3, 2016

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Sakurazuka posted:

RAP MUSIC, MY DROOGS!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What is DROOGS??? Is he trying to say "drugs"? Like, he's all hosed up on drugs and thus running into walls?

RareAcumen posted:

Neat.

Anything but anime

Nitrox has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Jun 3, 2016

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Nitrox posted:

What is DROOGS???

Is it too much to expect people to read books these days?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nitrox posted:

What is DROOGS??? Is he trying to say "drugs"? Like, he's all hosed up on drugs and thus running into walls?

It's Russian slang for "friend." In various contexts that can mean "people in my gang." It was popularized in English by A Clockwork Orange.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's Russian slang for "friend." In various contexts that can mean "people in my gang." It was popularized in English by A Clockwork Orange.
Gotcha.

It is however, nonsense in Russian, as plural of a "друг" (droog) is "друзья" (dryzia). Looks like some English speaker heard a foreign word and had no idea how to pluralize it. It is not a word that ever existed in Russian language, even as slang.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nitrox posted:

Gotcha.

It is however, nonsense in Russian, as plural of a "друг" (droog) is "друзья" (dryzia). Looks like some English speaker heard a foreign word and had no idea how to pluralize it. It is not a word that ever existed in Russian language, even as slang.

Jesus Christ. It's Nadsat. It's a Clockwork Orange reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI-mDTdeKR8

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Sakurazuka posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

This one?

Does that even work in print? Also, how is it racist?

No, the other beachball one.

As for racism, well...

That's gotta be at least as bad as shemale.

• Locked thread