Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Northern realms has what, 4 spies? The 0,1,4,5 value ones? And nilfgard has about the same but one of theirs is a 9 value. So with 3 decoys against one of those opponents you can put out 7, and possibly another 2 with your medics. I've never pulled that off of course.

And it's hilarious that the 5 assassin creed dudes are a bug, I got them on a second play through early and just dominated - my geralt is a whopping level 7 and his deck is vastly stronger than the skellige deck. 200 points in 6 cards played if you go ham with them + horn (which I've never pulled off )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

queeb posted:

I wasnt super into gwent, until I got Roche and Yennefer hero cards, and now I seem to wreck the poo poo out of most people I play, so now its fun. Need to get me some more heroes.

i hated it at first because of opponent rear end-pull bullshit and after trying for Yen once gave up and went back to whirling poo poo until it was little bits of poo poo.

I'll go hard into it on this NG+ though (put gwent difficulty to easy i mean)

e: for the dummies and gwent impaired, what deck should we be running? or are spies universal and its up to whichever leader you think has the best looking card art?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
In velen/white orchard alone just by buying from every vendor and playing all the innkeeper/blacksmiths/etc you can get an excellent northern realms deck:
3 spies, 3 tight bond ranged guys, 3(or 5) tight bond melee, 2 tight bond siege , a siege medic and a leader card that clears weather effects. You can destroy other people with just those cards plus some horns/decoys (don't forget you can decoy your medic then replay it) and scorch (excellent against muster cards like monster deck, save it for the crones)

That's without getting into the unique or neutral (like the 7 value scorch card you can decoy and reuse) cards , of which triss is easily the worst for some reason.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

first time through white orchard/velen i pretended gwent didn't even exist. not this time, thank you for the advice

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Dalai Trauma posted:

e: for the dummies and gwent impaired, what deck should we be running? or are spies universal and its up to whichever leader you think has the best looking card art?

I've always found the monster deck to be pretty reliable. If you have a big pool of cards to muster from, and have the leader card that can pull out a clear weather at any time (otherwise frost can really take your score down), you can roll over most opponents.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Man, I kinda wish I had read up on the Guillaume quest beforehand. In retrospect, I would've told him, and he would've taken the curse. Now I chose to respect Vivienne's wishes and Guillaume was mad at me in the end. It was a strange twist that her ultimate motivation seemed to be able to go to balls and wear dresses and it didn't bother her that she would live just a few years more. The whole tourney was fun though, although the melee part was basically 5 on 1 since all my teammates were worthless. And I got to beat Ser Gregor too.

But I guess that's the double-edged sword of spoiling yourself - you have more fun doing decisions blindly but then again you can have some really sucky results on quests.

Also, I discovered that the alchemist in the major city sells all the missing superior oil recipes. Now I just need a troll liver (?) to finish the last one, Ogroid oil. Is there a set place to get one? I wouldn't feel right farming trolls, or is that even an option?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 3, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pwnstar posted:

Guillaume is a shitlord and he deserves to be dunked on.

Yeah this. I was super happy that a game finally broached the, "No doing something nice for ladies you want to bone does not mean they have to like you, you creepy gently caress," subject.

Thanks for the bag of gold though. And stop whining about Geralt lectures, for an emotionally stunted man-child he's spot on for this one.

Azazell0 posted:

Also, I discovered that the alchemist in the major city sells all the missing superior oil recipes. Now I just need a troll liver (?) to finish the last one, Ogroid oil. Is there a set place to get one? I wouldn't feel right farming trolls, or is that even an option?

There's two rabid trolls at a question mark in Toussaint that's part of the knight for hire quest. They both dropped troll liver for me. I think they might be guaranteed drops given the last patch mentioned they were trying to resolve how few monsters with required parts there were.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 3, 2016

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
Just finished the main quest for B&W. The quick shot of Geralt mugging for the camera just before the credits was a perfect touch. Toussaint is incredible. It's refreshing wandering around some place that isn't a straight up war zone. The DLC also rolls with its own weird form of humor, and it's fun seeing such a well defined character as Geralt getting stuck in these weird, absurd situations. Even the quest names are really entertaining.

And yeah, gently caress Guillaume.

So question: I haven't touched Gwent the entire game. I could start a new game, but is it worth just retracing my steps with my current game? Start in White Orchard, start to accumulate cards? I've missed out on collecting them all, apparently, but it could be a nice little semi-retirement gig for Geralt.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Speaking of viewpoints;

I found Geralt being way closer to humans in W3 compared to the previous games. In W1 and W2 I didn't see the other side of the coin unless I replayed and chose that side while in W3, you get to know both the sides pretty well before having to chose (unless it's about witches and evil trees). Having that in mind, chosing sides in W1 and W2 was more about Geralt's personal interests to reach his own goals (W1: hunt down the fuckers that try to bridge the gap between humans and witchers W2: clear Geralt's name in the human world he was dragged into by the king) and I saw him as someone outside of the human world, stuck inbetween the world of man and beast.

It's a nice progression; after seeing fights between all the kingdoms in a fairly desensitized fashion, seeing people and.. uh, non-people die in all kinds of ways, the war and the misery following it in W3 feels way more powerful because of the choices the players are given.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Blood and Wine was awesome fairy tale book land owns.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Azuth0667 posted:

Blood and Wine was awesome fairy tale book land owns.

So, last year I played through the main story, but ragequit the Frog Prince in Heart of Stone. Should I start over for Blood and Wine? And if I do, should I play the main story first? etc.?

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

If the frog made you ragequit, B&W will also make you ragequit but at least it will wait until it's almost over before pummeling you into the ground.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brumaldo posted:

If the frog made you ragequit, B&W will also make you ragequit but at least it will wait until it's almost over before pummeling you into the ground.

Eh, It was less of a ragequit, as more of a, "I have better things to do then spend 2 hours trying to beat the first monster"

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Iron Crowned posted:

So, last year I played through the main story, but ragequit the Frog Prince in Heart of Stone. Should I start over for Blood and Wine? And if I do, should I play the main story first? etc.?

Mind the spoilers they contain the only annoying fights:

The only really asinine fight in B&W is the 2nd phase of the final boss. He has an attack that if you don't dodge it will kill you or take half your hp when you have quen up. It takes a bit of learning but, dodging it is not that hard. Granted I've had DS3 to teach me how to dodge poo poo and watch timings. Other than that all the fights are manageable and have some fun gimmicks. What I did was I took my save from before going on the last mission to kill the wild hunt and did heart of stone then blood and wine.

E: I should add for that fight you mentioned in heart of stone:

Just spam igni at the frog gently caress I got tired of his poo poo too. If you stack griffin armor and igni intensity its pretty easy.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 3, 2016

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Also goddamn, go kill that frog, hearts of stone is loving amazing.
Cursed oil, northern wind bombs and yrden. Do it!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Yeah I really like Gaunter O'Dimm's character and the story is amazing.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I just met the seven dwarves and now I'm going to Bald Mountain? Disney's gonna sue.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
The secret to any given combat encounter is to respec into signs and stop trying to pretend any of the other systems are working.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Woozy posted:

The secret to any given combat encounter is to respec into signs and stop trying to pretend any of the other systems are working.

You clearly have not seen the power of alchemy.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Caster builds are for cowards.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Alchemy is so loving broken that it's hard to see it as anything but the "correct" build.

edit: that's not totally fair, I still use signs for utility but it's hard to compete with having a dozen bombs, all the split into a half dozen more bombs when thrown and crit and you're immune to their effects and constnatly regenerating health every time you roll dodge or jump or do anything at all.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
With the "increase attack power based on toxicity" mutagen, alchemy seems really really powerful now. I've already completely spec'd out of signs entirely and into a combat/alchemy hybrid that works pretty well.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

WirelessPillow posted:

The basic problem with alchemy has always been that sooner or later you're going to be opening your inventory screen for the 50th time hunting for the right bomb or oil and you're gonna see that respec potion in your inventory and you won't have a good answer to the question of why aren't you just going full intensity Aard and one-shotting half the monsters in the game.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

WirelessPillow posted:

This is the build I am going with for my next replay.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Had a really hard time beating the final boss in the last DLC. Until I realized I'd forgotten to put on my armor after that one party. Which was ages ago. No wonder I felt the difficulty had ramped up so nicely.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The cat school Witchers get a bad rap and rightly so, but I like how terrible game also presents them as being victims in a way. The treasure hunt for cat school gear take you to the mage lab under temple isle where they were experimenting on the cat Witcher and it was horrific. Doesn't excuse their psychotic tendencies, but I can find ways to sympathize with them. Their reputation tarnishes their work and other Witchers and leads to only more assassin contracts. It's clear that they don't have the same social bond as the wolf school, which we discussed earlier being a big reason why the kaer morhen Witchers aren't the typical sociopaths people associate with Witchers.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Levantine posted:

Alchemy is so loving broken that it's hard to see it as anything but the "correct" build.

edit: that's not totally fair, I still use signs for utility but it's hard to compete with having a dozen bombs, all the split into a half dozen more bombs when thrown and crit and you're immune to their effects and constnatly regenerating health every time you roll dodge or jump or do anything at all.

This is the similar to signs with heart of stones rune crafting and Grandmaster Griffin set 3 piece bonus. Spam igni since you can shoot it twice in a row and one of the guys hit by it explodes triggering all of the other guys to explode.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Azuth0667 posted:

This is the similar to signs with heart of stones rune crafting and Grandmaster Griffin set 3 piece bonus. Spam igni since you can shoot it twice in a row and one of the guys hit by it explodes triggering all of the other guys to explode.

That actually sounds pretty interesting, aside from having to wear Griffin armor.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Well Novigrad's boring as gently caress :v: How long it this part? I wanna get back to monsters :black101:

At least I did get to cut some witch hunters apart, so there's that...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Toiwat posted:

Well Novigrad's boring as gently caress :v: How long it this part? I wanna get back to monsters :black101:

At least I did get to cut some witch hunters apart, so there's that...

Novigrad is so awesome. Don't you like playing politics with crime lords, solving gruesome mysteries, and fighting oppressive religious institutions? Plus there's a cute red head.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

lotta guys using bombs and magic and all kinds of beta cheating nonsense when the one true tactic is to spin your sword at ever increasing speeds until someone or something is dead

Tried NG+, saw all the cool poo poo I will keep and wowsers even my mutagens! Gonna grind out last 4 grandmaster pieces and then i'll NG+ all the way through, including gwent

e: to be clear nothing scared me more than having to get red mutagens again. NOTHING. thanks B&W for trivialising that as I was still missing one greater reg mutagen

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Novigrad is excellent, but if you're playing the game for the Velen/Skellige style exploration I can see folks not digging it. Mystery and Intrigue is a nice break from POI hunting though.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Levantine posted:

That actually sounds pretty interesting, aside from having to wear Griffin armor.

Yeah it is ugly armor but, the dyes make up for some of it.

Dalai Trauma posted:

lotta guys using bombs and magic and all kinds of beta cheating nonsense when the one true tactic is to spin your sword at ever increasing speeds until someone or something is dead

Tried NG+, saw all the cool poo poo I will keep and wowsers even my mutagens! Gonna grind out last 4 grandmaster pieces and then i'll NG+ all the way through, including gwent

e: to be clear nothing scared me more than having to get red mutagens again. NOTHING. thanks B&W for trivialising that as I was still missing one greater reg mutagen

Speaking of gwent how are any of the other factions supposed to win when as nilfgaard or northern realms I can spam spies and draw half my deck?

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 3, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Novigrad sure did make me want to turn my minimap back on.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The thing I liked about Novigrad is that it's very dense. Oxenfurt was a disappointment 'cause there's so very few actual quests but that's cause you have all of it in Novigrad, and they really run the gamut. Tracking down stolen gold, rescuing whores from drunken raiders, helping break the sword smithing monopoly, haunted houses...it's honestly one of the best parts, as varied as it is interesting. I really liked tracking down Whoreson Junior and giving him whatfor.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Elves can play half their hand twice and monsters can play their entire deck but yea neither really ends up ever being as straightforwardly good as Nilfgaard it seems. Part of that is just that it takes ages to actually build good decks from any of the other factions and by then you're so used to a specific game that they feel weird and lovely by comparison. One of my plans for New Game+ is going to be to build and stick with a different faction for the entire game.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Brumaldo posted:

Caster builds are for cowards.
Truth. Sword build Geralt is canonical Geralt. He hardly ever uses potions and I swear the only time he used a single sign was in a desperate situation. In fact, those rune-covered swords can split / deflect fireball spells from one of the most powerful sorcerers to have ever lived - that'd have been a pretty awesome trick here and there. Death March + Swords is the book Geralt experience, no quen.

On the other hand, book Geralt basically killed everything in one or two hits typically and there's only a handful of places where he's used either signs / magic or potions. I haven't been able to get a sword build to do that on even-leveled enemies without using potions and non-combat tree skills.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Imagine how everything would have been simpler if only Geralt had used Quen during Thanedd.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

When do all these builds yall are talking about come into their own? I just got out of white orchard again at like level four and a total of ten points earned or something like that and I'm sort of wondering when it'll be meaningful instead of 'ok I can get a little more drunk I guess :geno:'

(Everything is grayed out now in white orchard and I'm still wondering what/if I missed, sheesh)

(edit) Also I asked before but no one answered, alcohest and such are common enough that there's no good reason not to get flat loving stoned for every single fight, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ciaphas posted:

When do all these builds yall are talking about come into their own? I just got out of white orchard again at like level four and a total of ten points earned or something like that and I'm sort of wondering when it'll be meaningful instead of 'ok I can get a little more drunk I guess :geno:'

(Everything is grayed out now in white orchard and I'm still wondering what/if I missed, sheesh)

(edit) Also I asked before but no one answered, alcohest and such are common enough that there's no good reason not to get flat loving stoned for every single fight, right?

Any alcohol will do. I think I have like 200 dwarven spirit in my inventory at the midgame, and I'm high as gently caress all the time.

Alchemy really takes points to make good. I wouldn't try it before level 20ish, tbh. You can respec easily enough though. For the early game I like some combat skill (arrow deflection, fast attack bonuses), some signs (aard intensity makes a huge difference in group fights) and some perks like the armor perks that give bonuses based on pieces of a class (light, medium, heavy) depending on what you're wearing.