Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Can someone briefly explain how to fortify settlements so that the enemy has to siege you or fight against towers and walls ?

I built the level 1 and level 2 defense structures in a dwarf settlement and when Grimgor attacked it, the map was an open field against the garrison which he promptly stomped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
You only get siege battles on the main city in a province, elsewhere it's just a beefier garrison

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Level 2 garrisons add walls I thought

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Passive training for troops in the province with a chance of casualties from matches.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Migrating VC straight to Estalia at the start of the game wasn't nearly as much a hassle I thought it'd be. It only takes a few turns marching from Templehof, straight SW and over the water. Got plenty of units left from attrition to take that minor settlement and start replenishing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Can someone briefly explain how to fortify settlements so that the enemy has to siege you or fight against towers and walls ?

I built the level 1 and level 2 defense structures in a dwarf settlement and when Grimgor attacked it, the map was an open field against the garrison which he promptly stomped.

That doesn't make sense. Maybe he used agents to damage the settlement somehow? Or you had an reinforcing army outside?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fewd posted:

Migrating VC straight to Estalia at the start of the game wasn't nearly as much a hassle I thought it'd be. It only takes a few turns marching from Templehof, straight SW and over the water. Got plenty of units left from attrition to take that minor settlement and start replenishing.

I'm having flashbacks from Rome 1, where I used to do that with the germans, definetly gonna try this strategy and see how it goes.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
So how long until Total War: Warhammer 40,000 :allears:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So how long until Total War: Warhammer 40,000 :allears:

Have to wait for Age of the Emperor first.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

Level 2 garrisons add walls I thought

They definitely add walls for dwarfs and empire, Unzip and Attack either encountered a bug or had an army just outside. Or a Lord, remember they start out just outside of town when you recruit them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Have to wait for Age of the Emperor first.

:vomarine:

At least if one good thing comes from GW's nonsense, it's that as long as AoS is still hilariously floundering, it's unlikely that hot mess will start trying to wrestle it's way over the videogames too.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Fewd posted:

I love this. Like someone else said, used to do this in the older TW games. I also like to imagine the advisor freaking out here. "My lord! you are abandoning your ancient homeland!"

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Is there a building or character trait that improves the starting level of the Empire Captains? As there is one for Witch Hunters, Wizards and Warrior Priests I thought I might have overlooked something.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why migrate to Estalia when the Border princes are right on your doorstep?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

For my first game I started out as the dwarfs and I was stomping the greenskins all over the place

And then Grimgor came around.

Most battles the goblins and orcs just melt against my units but this guy basically solo'd half my army while more archers than I have ever seen before just rained arrows on me.

Do the dwarves have any low tier units capable of running down fast units? The arrows don't usually do much damage due to armor, but when facing strong melee units at the same time they seem to add just enough damage to be a problem.

Also that goblin catapult is amazing I can't wait to start an ork campaign later

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Gyrocopters, which don't show up til insanely late in the tech tree, are your best bet for a cavalry equivalent. What you really want is at least 8 Quarrelers in every army that's going to be fighting Greenskins. Focus fire on their archers with 2-3 units of Quarrelers at a time and they will melt so fast it'll make your head spin. The best way to deal with Grimgor is to send one unit of Miners in at a time to tie him up and completely ignore him otherwise. Your firepower is much better used taking out all the poo poo that doesn't have all that armor. Once you've started a chain rout Grimgor will turn and run like the rest.

Also it's very, very important that you have plenty of artillery as Dwarfs. If the enemy has more artillery than you, they'll be happy to sit and bombard you from range until they run out of ammo. As Dwarfs you want to encourage them to come to you.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Thunderers were my answer to Grimgore. Bog him down fighting some warriors and have your thunderers nearby unload into him, preferably from a higher elevation so they can get a clean shot.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So what determines if you capture enemy artillery pieces? I decided to do my best impersonation of the AI and I've got Mannfred down to Drakenhoff and Essen by turn 35 or so, and I'm really wishing I could've snagged Marienburg's mortar when I had the chance.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Einbauschrank posted:

Is there a building or character trait that improves the starting level of the Empire Captains? As there is one for Witch Hunters, Wizards and Warrior Priests I thought I might have overlooked something.

I haven't seen one. It's pretty odd when you realize all the other hero units can get from +4 to +6 just from buildings.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

Without a doubt you must've had an army (or lonesome lord) outside the settlement that Grimgor attacked, and then your garrison came to reinforce, resulting in an open field battle. Ive got nearly 100 hours in this drat game now and level 2 defenses always gives you a wall so thats the only thing that makes any sense.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gejnor posted:

Without a doubt you must've had an army (or lonesome lord) outside the settlement that Grimgor attacked, and then your garrison came to reinforce, resulting in an open field battle. Ive got nearly 100 hours in this drat game now and level 2 defenses always gives you a wall so thats the only thing that makes any sense.

I've been having similar things happen to me as well. No lord at a settlement, just the level 2 defenses built and it's always been open field battle/enemy just waltzes in without having to siege. The only time this doesn't happen is on provincial capitals. So what you're saying is that it level 2 defense structures should always be walls/force a siege?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
What's a good way to game auto resolve in either direction? Making it favor you allows you to speed things up with crushing multiple enemies. Having it underestimate you can bait enemy stacks into attacking you rather than running away.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Curious how long until the first patch and DLC hits, some balance passes would be nice, can't imagine demigryph knights having 430 weapon damage with 18 units wasn't a oversight, and multiplayer could use some cost increase/decreases on certain units, especially decreases for chaos expensive stuff.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Spirit Leech and Magic in general needs a fix with reguards to Lords and Unit Size. You shouldn't be able to commander snipe with magic.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Stanley Pain posted:

I've been having similar things happen to me as well. No lord at a settlement, just the level 2 defenses built and it's always been open field battle/enemy just waltzes in without having to siege. The only time this doesn't happen is on provincial capitals. So what you're saying is that it level 2 defense structures should always be walls/force a siege?

Yes, always, and not 'should' either, it will do so, heck it even changes the little blurb around the settlement name to have the same "THIS IS A WALLED SETTLEMENT" graphics like the provincial capitals have.

And its not agents destroying the walls either, every successfull agent attack makes 2 openings in the wall, 4 if its a critical success. This is either the weirdest bug ever (that i have never ever seen) or somebody is being confused about buildings, maybe a mod is loving with things? Are you using that conquer anywhere mod for instance?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm pretty sure that only capital towns (the ones that can build up to V) get siege battles. The others are just open field with your garrison. I have level 3 Forts and level 2 garrisons in all my cities at he minimum and only ever get siege battles at the capital towns.

I think that was even a big selling pint of the game. That you didn't have to siege every single town, only the main ones for each province.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I just more factions added, can't wait to see what they do with them. Isn't Brettonia going to get fleshed out into a real faction pretty soon?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fans posted:

Spirit Leech and Magic in general needs a fix with reguards to Lords and Unit Size. You shouldn't be able to commander snipe with magic.

And on the flipside most other magic is weak as gently caress on Ultra, it really is just Lore of Death that is high damage, spirit leech and fate of bejuna are quite powerful and i think both are really cheap too. Vortex spells are in extreme need for a damage boost on ultra, considering their cost and random movement.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

DO IT TO IT posted:

I just more factions added, can't wait to see what they do with them. Isn't Brettonia going to get fleshed out into a real faction pretty soon?

Yepp, all signs point to them being the Free LC as well, so look forward to your peasant trampling knights!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

goodness posted:

I'm pretty sure that only capital towns (the ones that can build up to V) get siege battles. The others are just open field with your garrison. I have level 3 Forts and level 2 garrisons in all my cities at he minimum and only ever get siege battles at the capital towns.

I think that was even a big selling pint of the game. That you didn't have to siege every single town, only the main ones for each province.

I think this is what I need clarification on. If non-capital defense buildings only grant a bigger garrison then they are essentially useless because the cpu almost never attacks with anything less than a full stack and I don't care how advanced the garrisons get nothing is going to be able to stop a full stack other than another army anyway.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Unzip and Attack posted:

I think this is what I need clarification on. If non-capital defense buildings only grant a bigger garrison then they are essentially useless because the cpu almost never attacks with anything less than a full stack and I don't care how advanced the garrisons get nothing is going to be able to stop a full stack other than another army anyway.

Having a garrison does make the AI think twice about attacking. Without they will just attack straight away, but with them the AI stacks will sit and continue siege until I come around with an army to beat them back.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I got an early skill with Mannfred that says it regens HP mapwide for the army but that doesn't happen. It says it's a constant augment. Is this broken or am I just dumb? Sorry I can't remember the name of it but it's the 2nd column of the 2nd row.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Do TW games ever go on sale? I really loving want this but summer is extremely tight financially for me.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

They go on sale a lot later in their life but I wouldn't expect a sale on this game within the next 3 months. Buy it on greenmangaming with the 20% off coupon code.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Do TW games ever go on sale? I really loving want this but summer is extremely tight financially for me.

It is unlikely to go on sale so shortly after release, unfortunately. You may have to wait for the winter steam sale.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Fall is the earliest I'd expect it unless they time a sale or two around a big DLC drop.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

beejay posted:

I got an early skill with Mannfred that says it regens HP mapwide for the army but that doesn't happen. It says it's a constant augment. Is this broken or am I just dumb? Sorry I can't remember the name of it but it's the 2nd column of the 2nd row.

It's an augment that, IIRC, only triggers when you are in the process of casting a spell. So it's really quite minor.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's also currently the fastest selling TW game of all time, so I wouldn't expect it in any flash sales anytime soon. And I'd guess only 30% off by the big Fall sale.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DO IT TO IT posted:

Brett is almost certainly going to be added as a playable faction relatively soon (they posted a tentative update schedule before release that had "new faction" as like the 3rd thing). They're already playable in MP and have unique units/heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

I have no idea what people are talking about here, a level 3 settlement with level 2 defenses always have a wall, ALWAYS, and they always lead to siege battles.

To prove this, here i am attacking Waldenhof which is a minor settlement that the AI upgraded with level 2 defenses:

Which, after 2 turns of sieging and deciding to attack yields this:

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 3, 2016

• Locked thread