Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I prefer MHA when it's in its lighter moments as opposed to its action, which isn't to say it's bad or whatever, just that I think these characters are better suited to things closer to slice of life and poo poo. I'd be all in Deku, Uraraka and Bakugo just loving around in school with their crazy rear end teachers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A new season won't happen this year since the time slots are spoken for.

The ratings have been pretty average at best but it gets a lot of buzz on Japanese twitter almost every week and it has given the volume and merch sales a nice pop so a second season wouldn't surprise me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I prefer MHA when it's in its lighter moments as opposed to its action, which isn't to say it's bad or whatever, just that I think these characters are better suited to things closer to slice of life and poo poo. I'd be all in Deku, Uraraka and Bakugo just loving around in school with their crazy rear end teachers.

This is how I feel about like Blue Exorcist. It's a really fun series when the plot isn't happening and the characters are all being dorky teenagers that are like "Oh man, who the hell is Rin gonna ask out to prom!?"

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Baal posted:

It seems more shonen adaptations seem to be taking the "Do a season then do another one down the road" instead of filler hell.

Which has its own issues sure, but I'd like to think this kind of thing is preferable, though I would actually like to seem some silly high school filler shenanigans in MHA.

This. We get a little of it with MHA Smash, but not nearly enough and not high enough quality. I'm not a huge fan of the chibi versions.

Speaking of, for some reason Tsuyu seems to move a lot less ... gracefully in the anime than I imagined her. I mean, yes, she's a foggy, but it just seems a bit strange. Maybe when we see more of her it'll be better to me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Baal posted:

This is how I feel about like Blue Exorcist. It's a really fun series when the plot isn't happening and the characters are all being dorky teenagers that are like "Oh man, who the hell is Rin gonna ask out to prom!?"

the answer is Bon

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The answer is always Bon

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I liked eyebrows girl.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All of them were good

Especially Shiemi, she's like the Ochaco of BE

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

sword tits was bad and destroyed hoodie, my favorite character

Jintor
May 19, 2014

latest ep is up. aizara reks shop, tsuyu and midoriya come up with a plan, and shiragaki basically stands in one place the entire episode

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jintor posted:

latest ep is up. aizara reks shop, tsuyu and midoriya come up with a plan, and shiragaki basically stands in one place the entire episode

Huh, yeah, it's a bit disappointing how little they animated Shigaraki. In the manga, when the villains are wondering where All Might is he's bizarrely agitated by his absence, almost twitching with irritation. He had a lot more menace to him; given the little touches they did with even minor characters (like the shark guy trying to splash away Mineta's grapes), it's strange that they had the big villain just stand perfectly still for the most part. Next episode he's going to actually do stuff though, so that should be better.

Also disappointed at how they handled a (admittedly very minor) moment on the ship. There should have been a beat between Deku talking about Black Mist sending them there and Tsuyu asking him to go on, since that's supposed to be a comedic moment and all. Given how much they seem to be filling space with things like Deku flashing back to all the times All Might inspired him and whatnot, it's odd that they didn't have a second or two more of silence there so the joke actually landed.

Nitpicking aside, it was still an entertaining episode.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Mineta was very brave this episode

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

That's the power of boobs, or at least the desire to touch one.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
During this period of time in the manga Shiggy just stands there because he's observing Aizawa. He makes his move pretty much around when this episode ends.

They didn't gently caress up the beat panel around Mineta's power explanation though which is one of the best jokes in the arc.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
still not on hulu

*loads rifle*

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

During this period of time in the manga Shiggy just stands there because he's observing Aizawa. He makes his move pretty much around when this episode ends.

They didn't gently caress up the beat panel around Mineta's power explanation though which is one of the best jokes in the arc.

Right, but he was a bit more animated in the beginning, is what I meant. He did stand around after that though, watching Aizawa, as you say.

And yeah, they got that joke down, which was funny. Though it does make the earlier missed beat odd.

I'm looking forward to the next episode, though; I am curious how they're going to handle what happens next in Aizawa's fight.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I'm amused at how often he's talking considering he's never talked before.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Is his costume a (very sticky) bowl of grapes?

This poo poo owns, super glad I ignored my usual avoidance of fighty shounen.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

the sequence of mineta desperately throwing out balls at the villains and then turning to wordlessly cry and gesture at midoriya about how lame his power is was the moment he was cemented in my heart as best character

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Actually, Tsu is the best character.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordaedil posted:

Actually, Tsu is the best character.

That "Tsu" thing bothers me, because it's so weird. Like, what she's actually saying is "call me Tsuyu", because it's her given name, but since this is Japan everyone is using her family name, Asui. She's basically saying "don't be so formal, we're friends, use my first name". Since they still translate everyone else calling her "Asui", going from that to "Tsu" is odd. It's a really bizarre choice from whoever's translating it that feels like it's missing what's actually going on there.

I do agree that Tsuyu is one of the best students, though. It was actually her that got me into the series; back when it was new, I saw art of her and thought "oh hey, that character looks neat, what's she from" and found the manga series that way.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the sequence of mineta desperately throwing out balls at the villains and then turning to wordlessly cry and gesture at midoriya about how lame his power is was the moment he was cemented in my heart as best character

Little dude showed a lot of courage. Courage isn't being fearless, it's about pushing through your fear and getting things done despite being afraid.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i'm loving dying

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Aurora posted:

i'm loving dying

That scene was amazing as a non-manga reader (until the season ends). The principal's conversation, All Might running out of time, etc. :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Aurora posted:

i'm loving dying

Principal's superpowers:

a) is rodent
b) gently caress you

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
His super power is actually just super-intelligence.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All Might's is super cuteness, which also has the side effect of all the other stuff he does.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Mineta's pervert gimmick is the most unfunny thing, but this ruled

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 6, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Mineta's pervert gimmick is the most unfunny thing

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's actually pretty good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Nah, not really

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

It has its moments, but its usually not.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah its usually the worst but it does get some good hits in though

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Nah, not really

Yeah, I think it's probably fairer to say extremely good.

(He's probably the most nothing character in the entire series as far as people who aren't one-offs go)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 6, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah its usually the worst but it does get some good hits in though

The animators changed him coping a feel out of Tsuyu prior to her punching him onto the ship deck into him just perving out which, honestly, is fair enough.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Roland Jones posted:

That "Tsu" thing bothers me, because it's so weird. Like, what she's actually saying is "call me Tsuyu", because it's her given name, but since this is Japan everyone is using her family name, Asui. She's basically saying "don't be so formal, we're friends, use my first name". Since they still translate everyone else calling her "Asui", going from that to "Tsu" is odd. It's a really bizarre choice from whoever's translating it that feels like it's missing what's actually going on there.

Actually, that isn't the case. She isn't asking people to call her Tsuyu, she's asking people to call her Tsuyu-chan. There's a big difference there, which I feel "Tsu" portrays well enough: she doesn't just want people to call her by name, she wants people to call her in a very familiar way that'd be considered outright rude seeing as how they barely know each other.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Roland Jones posted:

I do agree that Tsuyu is one of the best students, though. It was actually her that got me into the series; back when it was new, I saw art of her and thought "oh hey, that character looks neat, what's she from" and found the manga series that way.

It's also the use of -chan suffix, which implies a level of closeness that embarrasses Deku. They tried to localize that as well and it came off weird.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, uh, did this guy always look like the Mad Max dood or?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Actually, that isn't the case. She isn't asking people to call her Tsuyu, she's asking people to call her Tsuyu-chan. There's a big difference there, which I feel "Tsu" portrays well enough: she doesn't just want people to call her by name, she wants people to call her in a very familiar way that'd be considered outright rude seeing as how they barely know each other.

-chan is probably the least awkward way to use a girl's first name. It does imply some familiarity, but -san would just make you wonder why he's not just using her surname, and no honorific at all is even closer, almost intimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clarste posted:

-chan is probably the least awkward way to use a girl's first name. It does imply some familiarity, but -san would just make you wonder why he's not just using her surname, and no honorific at all is even closer, almost intimate.

Yeah, this. I left out the suffix because that's how the translated manga pages handle it (thankfully most scanlations aren't awkwardly forcing suffixes in) and that'd be a better way to localize it, but really "-chan" doesn't make it a nickname. There aren't any better suffix options, and actually not having the suffix would be even more familiar. Like, only Deku's mother calls him "Izuku" rather than "Midoriya-kun" or something, because they're family and all, for the main example I can think of.

• Locked thread