Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Quick character build question. Currently I am a lvl 4 cleric and will soon be level 5 and I am having a hard time between choosing between taking another level of cleric or dipping into crusader so at level 6 I can take the martial stance feat and get thicket of blades. Heres what my character looks like currently:

Human
Cleric Level 4
Allignment:Lawful neutral
Spontaneous Inflict spells
Domains: Undeath, Planning

Flaws: Vulnerable

Feats: Extend Spell, Extra Turning, Persist spell, Divine Metamagic: Persist Spell, Tomb-Tainted Soul, Skill Focus:Knowledge (religion)

Stats:

14 str
12 Dex
14 Con
9 int
15 Cha
18 Wis

skill ranks 7 Spellcraft, 7 Knowledge Religion

So I am planning on going into Divine Oracle Prestige class once I hit level 6, however if I take this level of crusader at level 5 I can take as my lvl 6 feat as Martial Stance (Thicket of Blades) and level 9 take improved trip, and have some lockdown capability. Is this worth doing, or is my health going to be too low to make it worthwhile. My other option is to take my 5th level as cleric and take some other feat at level 6 when I enter the Divine Oracle class. Thoughts? Is this a good choice or should I stay the course?

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Thicket of Blades is a third level maneuver so it requires an IL of 5. Your current IL is 2, so you need 3 levels in Crusader to qualify for it by level 7

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Thicket of Blades is a third level maneuvers so it requires an IL of 5. Your current IL is 2, so you need 3 levels in Crusader to qualify for it by level 7

http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/feat/Martial_Stance

Prerequisite: One martial maneuver.
Benefit: When you gain this feat, you can select any stance from a discipline in which you already know at least one maneuver. You must meet the normal prerequisite of the stance.

The only prereq for Thicket of Blades is that I possess a Devoted Spirit Maneuver.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 19, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Ah, ok you are right, I would take this as like a lvl 9 feat
you still need to meet the prerequisite of the stance, which in this case is IL 5

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Madmarker posted:

Ah, ok you are right, I would take this as like a lvl 9 feat and take Improved trip as my level 6 feat.

Nope, Improved Trip requires Combat Expertise, which you don't have.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Piell posted:

Nope, Improved Trip requires Combat Expertise, which you don't have.

This is the more important thing, I don't know if I want to spend that many feats on it, alrighty, probably a bad idea then.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Prerequisite: One martial maneuver.
Benefit: When you gain this feat, you can select any stance from a discipline in which you already know at least one maneuver. You must meet the normal prerequisite of the stance.

The only prereq for Thicket of Blades is that I possess a Devoted Spirit Maneuver.
You know how Wizards can't normally learn 3rd level spells before 5th level? Initiators have the same thing, but it's baked into the Initiating system instead of being part of the class. To learn a 3rd level Maneuver/Stance you need an Initiator Level of 5. Your Initiator Level is equal to your Class Level in an Initiating class plus half of your levels in other classes.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'm in a group that's about to finish up the Barrow of the Forgotten King adventure, and everyone is on board with doing the next two adventures, Sinister Spire and Fortress of Yuan-ti. The rest of the group is mostly pathfinder players so they haven't played this before, and I've never done these adventures either, so I've avoided major spoilers. Do know that there's a lot of undead ahead of us, and we have a less than optimal group.

I'm playing a barbarian/fighter tripper, we have a dwarf fighter tank, an alu-fiend samurai, catfolk scout, and human ranger.

I've asked if the group wants me to reroll a cleric, but I've never played one before. I don't want to be a healbot, but I don't want to outshine the party either. The cleric handbook has so many options, any thoughts on what's a good middle path? I'm thinking something with persistent spell and big buffs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Mandingo posted:

I'm playing a barbarian/fighter tripper

I'm starting to notice a pattern, here!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Basically version 2.0

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you want to be more effective against undead but don't want to outshine your group, have you thought about playing a Paladin?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So sorry if I keep dominating this thread with weird questions....but this one is less build specific, and more I'm trying to figure out a good way to make something work.

My character has been able to procure two deinonychus corpses and is going to turn them into skeletons. The only problem is that we will be going out and about in a city very frequently...and should I animate Cagney and Lacey, I would rather like to avoid too many prying eyes. So is there a way to conceal that these two man sized dinosaur skeletons are undead from the public at large, should they be accompanying me? LIke maybe some way to disguise them as automatons or the like.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Madmarker posted:

LIke maybe some way to disguise them as automatons or the like.

Make like lovely steampunk cosplay and glue lots of completely superfluous cogs and gears to them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pose as an archaeologist. Unless the game you're in has live dinos, in which case you are a velociraptor veterinarian instead and you need the skeletons for whatever reason doctors need human skeletons.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Skin them before reanimation, then have the skeletons wear their old hides like suits.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Captain Hats posted:

Skin them before reanimation, then have the skeletons wear their old hides like suits.
I love this idea. Bonus points if you glue googly eyes over their eye sockets. If your setting has no googly eyes, invent them.

Edit: "googly eyes necromancer" is gonna be my next character in any setting that can support it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Besides the 5th and last Monster Manual, are there are any other references I can use for monsters with directly usable special abilities, instead of having to deal with 3.5e spellcaster monsters?

Yawgmoth posted:

I love this idea. Bonus points if you glue googly eyes over their eye sockets. If your setting has no googly eyes, invent them.

Edit: "googly eyes necromancer" is gonna be my next character in any setting that can support it.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 4, 2016

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

Besides the 5th and last Monster Manual, are there are any other references I can use for monsters with directly usable special abilities, instead of having to deal with 3.5e spellcaster monsters?
Demons, devils, celestials and other planar beings tend to just have a fixed set of Spell-Like Abilities. Another useless option would be to randomly determine the spells the enemy has and then try to make them do something useful with the mishmash collection of stuff they end up with. Might be fun once or twice.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Uh... literally any of the 4e monster books, maybe? The abilities wouldn't be that hard to convert in terms of pure mechanics, you'd just need to adjust the numbers.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Hello all

In 3.5 I'm trying to create a necromancer summoner build (base class cleric, race human) that's reminiscent of the necromancer's skelly army/corpse explosion build like in Diablo 2. Undead run in, they die, they explode.

I figured the corpsecrafter feat tree would be a good place to start, but it seems hilariously underpowered for what I want to do. I've kind of been circling this for a few days and it's driving me insane! I'm not even sure what domains to take anymore. Any ideas would be very welcome.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

Hello all

In 3.5 I'm trying to create a necromancer summoner build (base class cleric, race human) that's reminiscent of the necromancer's skelly army/corpse explosion build like in Diablo 2. Undead run in, they die, they explode.

I figured the corpsecrafter feat tree would be a good place to start, but it seems hilariously underpowered for what I want to do. I've kind of been circling this for a few days and it's driving me insane! I'm not even sure what domains to take anymore. Any ideas would be very welcome.
Unliving Weapon is basically The Spell You Want. It's 3.0 but the mechanics work just fine for 3.5. For extra laughs you could take Widen and Explosive spell (and maybe Divine Metamagic [Widen]). There's also Summon Undead I-V in Libris Mortis, which with a little set-up could be pretty fun.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

http://alcyius.com/dndtools/feats/libris-mortis-the-book-of-undead--71/destruction-retribution--591/index.html does what you want.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Corpsecrafter pulls its weight, but you're correct that the remainder of the tree is chickenshit. There is some amusement in Destructive Retribution if you can pool a murderball of uncostly expendables to purposefully blast into pieces. If you pick up Fell Animate, you can attach it to a low-level spell (Chill Touch is not on the Cleric list but is ideal if you decide to go Dread Necromancer; you get touches with it equal to your caster level) and then use it to commit Coup de Gras on whatever wildlife or farm-fowl you can get your hands on. Have the resulting zombies swarm-charge your enemies before somebody drops a fireball or something on the whole mess, and whatever champion-class undead or Tomb-Tainted Souls you associate with can take advantage of the burst as healing power.

The ideal creature to raise for this should be as small, fast, and mass-murderable as you can get them. Probably some kind of bird. Options will vary by game world.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What's the market like for selling 3.x books? I was wondering about selling most of what I have in some manner, but I'm not certain of the demand here on SA-Mart or of the difficulty on broader sites like eBay. (The local used goods shop that operates as a chain offered maybe 3 cents per original dollar, so I'm guessing I can at least find a better market elsewhere.)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I like the idea of having a spell point system for wizards/clerics/etc. but from what I hear the UA variant sucks. Would it be better to just give every class points as per psion and then say every spell starts at minimum caster level, then you can buy up CL on a 1-for-1 basis and DC for a 2-for-1, to your maximum amount spent? I have some friends who are interested in having me run a D&D game and I'd like to simplify some of the more fiddly poo poo like spell slots.

Or maybe I should just make all spells encounter powers and call it a day. :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My understanding is that spell point systems suck because A. they let "prepared casters" bypass what's supposed to be a deliberate limiting/balancing factor in what spells they're allowed to cast, and B. they allow you to cast even more of the higher-level spells than you'd otherwise be able to under a spell slot system.

And D&D's spell slot system was originally intended by Gygax to be less book-keepy/fiddly than a mana-based system, which he knew was something that people might otherwise want to push him towards. It was supposed to be simpler. You'd have a number of spell slots:

pre:
[1]
[2]
[3]
[4]
And then you'd write down which spell was "armed" in each slot:

pre:
[Burning Hands]
[Color Spray]
[Magic Missiles]
[Expeditious Retreat]
And whenever you'd cast it, you'd strike it off the list, like so:

pre:
[Burning Hands]
[Color Spray]
[Magic Missiles]
[Expeditious Retreat]
And I'm inclined to agree that in some ways that is easier to keep track of than x many spell points, and then subtracting from that number every time you cast a spell, and you also need to know how much spells cost.

Anyway, if I was going to play a 3.x game where I was going to have full casters, I told myself that I'd instead just keep very tight control of what spells a player is allowed to have. And that makes sense from a beginner-friendly perspective, too. If you have a newbie Druid whose only available spells at level 1 are:

quote:

Animate Fire (SpC): Turn campfire into Small elemental.
Aura Against Flame (SpC): Ignores 10 fire damage/round and extinguishes fires.
Orb of Fire, Lesser (SpC): Ranged touch attack deals 1d8 fire damage + 1d8/2 levels beyond 1st (max 5d8).
Produce Flame: 1d6 damage +1/level, touch or thrown.

It's a lot easier for them to pick and choose than throwing even just the entire PHB's selection at them.

In that vein, I'd mine this GITP post for ideas.

Perhaps a compromise would be to, yes, define spells as Encounter Powers, but then as I said tightly define which spells those are, subject to the player's desired layout for their character.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

play a Psion, write Wizard on your character sheet.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nihilarian posted:

play a Psion, write Wizard on your character sheet.
That's basically what I'm aiming at but adding some of the more interesting spells to the powers list and a way to make clerics/druids a thing beyond "use wisdom to cast".

Maybe just drop the psion bonus feats for domains/assorted druidy things and have their specialization be a lineup of domain spells/druid-exclusive spells? And then just say "spell compendium has a bunch of cool poo poo, if you want something converted just ask"?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Look up the Ardent. Work out conversions for additional spells into the various mantles, and make tentative plans for a few additional mantles to fill in for whichever domains or druid schticks you find particularly compelling yet underrepresented. No need to substantiate anything that your players aren't going to use, though.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey does the salt created from the spell "Wall of Salt" dissipate over time, or is it permanent?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Hey does the salt created from the spell "Wall of Salt" dissipate over time, or is it permanent?

IIRC all the walls are permanent creations, though they will weather normally. Yes, this is yet another way that wizards can generate infinite money if your DM is an idiot.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

IIRC all the walls are permanent creations, though they will weather normally. Yes, this is yet another way that wizards can generate infinite money if your DM is an idiot.

Good, Good, gotcha.

note-Our DM isn't an idiot, he's mostly concerned with unequal power breaks, ie if one player is vastly outshining the others, if we all are sharing in increased wealth/power he is less likely to care.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Madmarker posted:

fool_of_sound posted:

Note that there's a difference between "instantaneous" duration and "permanent". If a spell's duration is "instantaneous" its effects can't be undone (unless noted otherwise), but if it's "permanent" then it can be gotten rid of with dispel magic or whatever.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Roadie posted:

Note that there's a difference between "instantaneous" duration and "permanent". If a spell's duration is "instantaneous" its effects can't be undone (unless noted otherwise), but if it's "permanent" then it can be gotten rid of with dispel magic or whatever.

really? where is that spelled out. if so that would be rather interesting

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Madmarker posted:

really? where is that spelled out. if so that would be rather interesting
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#duration

Casting dispel on someone's food to make it bland sounds like the most petty use of a 3rd level slot ever.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Dm'ing a campaign that's basically turned out to be lord of the rings as if written by Simon pegg. The main plot is making the perfect cup of tea. So we've been all over getting the best ingredients, fancy tea leaves from elven forest, dwarven crown to drink it from, dragons fire to boil the water from the blessed waterfall etc etc... now we're at the point where we only need milk and I have no idea, total mental block.

I've Googled endless pages about fancy milk but still nothing. At this point if I can't come up with anything it'll just have to be a fairly typical "go to this guy his farm makes the best milk" but when every other ingredient in this godly tea is fancy and/or magical it feels kinda out of place. Anyone got any thoughts?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Kamadhenu (Sanskrit: कामधेनु, [kaːməˈd̪ʱeːnʊ], Kāmadhenu), also known as Surabhi (सुरभि, Surabhī), is a divine bovine-goddess described in Hinduism as the mother of all cows. She is a miraculous "cow of plenty" who provides her owner whatever he desires and is often portrayed as the mother of other cattle as well as the eleven Rudras. In iconography, she is generally depicted as a white cow with a female head and breasts or as a white cow containing various deities within her body.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Captain Hair posted:

Dm'ing a campaign that's basically turned out to be lord of the rings as if written by Simon pegg. The main plot is making the perfect cup of tea. So we've been all over getting the best ingredients, fancy tea leaves from elven forest, dwarven crown to drink it from, dragons fire to boil the water from the blessed waterfall etc etc... now we're at the point where we only need milk and I have no idea, total mental block.

I've Googled endless pages about fancy milk but still nothing. At this point if I can't come up with anything it'll just have to be a fairly typical "go to this guy his farm makes the best milk" but when every other ingredient in this godly tea is fancy and/or magical it feels kinda out of place. Anyone got any thoughts?

Aušumbla is the great cow upon whom the father of all giants suckled. Its milk gave strength to the progenitor of all giants while she licked free Buri, the father of all Gods, from the ice he was encased.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
You know who else likes good tea? The God of the Dead. You know what's dead? The First Cow, the template from which all other livestock was formed, the wellspring of the original milk, pure and untainted by millennia of development and civilization.
The God of the Dead keeps close watch and a tight grasp on everything within his domain. Dare you take the path never before tread by the living? Do you possess the fortitude, the depth of will, the determination to enter the realm of the dead, take the milk from under the nose of the God of the Dead, and escape with not just your prize, but your very soul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Captain Hair posted:

At this point if I can't come up with anything it'll just have to be a fairly typical "go to this guy his farm makes the best milk" but when every other ingredient in this godly tea is fancy and/or magical it feels kinda out of place. Anyone got any thoughts?

or you can go the other direction with it. maybe at this point in the campaign there's plenty of other groups that have taken notice of the player's actions / quest and for whatever reason they're now trying to influence their choice of milk, so they want to trick them into using milk that's actually tainted by the 1001 souls of the damned legion, or they want the players to use milk that will enthrall the drinker under an irrevocable mind control enchantment, or whatever. now the players are tasked with just finding regular milk from an honest farmer who has no ulterior motives, and they have to avoid all of the plots and schemes of these other groups trying to trick them into using milk that will curdle the soul of the drinker or whatever.

edit: like an Indiana jones and the last crusade "cup of a carpenter" scenario

• Locked thread