Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Really hope he posts a picture of his lawn and it's like the loving savannah.

In the comments someone tracked it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ah, yes, now I can clearly see all the...landscaping...he mentioned.

I hope the business he plans to start in order to get the thing re-zoned is going to be dandelion seed wholesale.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Are you seriously cheering on legally forcing someone to mow their lawn, because that is hosed up.

*no doubt law tells him to do it, but why*

doverhog fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 2, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

doverhog posted:

Are you seriously cheering on legally forcing someone to mow their lawn, because that is hosed up.

Most cities have laws requiring homeowners to maintain their property. A shabby house depresses property values in the area, so it's not a matter of it not affecting anyone else.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

doverhog posted:

I'm cheering it on, yes, and no its not hosed up because adults understand that the political process is our agreed format of interpersonal boundaries and responsibilities and that sometimes you have to do things that you don't want to do, and acting like something is a travesty when it isn't is called "throwing a tantrum."

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Deteriorata posted:

Most cities have laws requiring homeowners to maintain their property. A shabby house depresses property values in the area, so it's not a matter of it not affecting anyone else.

It's also a hazard; fire, vermin, etc.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Make up my mind, are weeds legal yet or not

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

doverhog posted:

Lawn ordinances are stupid but that guy is drunk on sovereign citizen koolaid and actually compared cutting his lawn with acquiescing to Hitler's rise to power. It's awesome, and yet probably not fake.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
His yard is also a trash heap. Of course he can't mow it; there's junk strewn all over it. A junk-filled yard is a horrendous quality in a neighbor, because it just becomes a Club Med for rats and possums.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
His house seems to be right on a highway as well, so I can see why the city would throw the book at him. Where I live, there is a rule that if you don't mow, they can hire contractors to do it and send you the bill, in addition to fining you.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

doverhog posted:

That's how you get bitten by a snake.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If this is allowed to stand next they will be telling you what colour you can paint your house.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Bad Munki posted:

If all goes well, we'll get to hear about a budding sovcit getting tazed for not mowing his lawn!

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4ltbod/im_requested_in_municipal_court_on_thursday_for/

"So I've been pouring [sic] through state statutes and local code and watching those hilarious videos of judges getting all sputtery when their logical fallacies are exposed."

Where are these videos? This is what I was talking about before.

e. Hahaha his dad owns the property...I wonder if daddy has asked babby anarchist to just mow the goddamn grass already.

"No you shut the gently caress up dad! I'M NOT CUTTING THE GRASS! gently caress YOU I WON'T DO WHATCHA TELL ME!"

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 3, 2016

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

doverhog posted:

If this is allowed to stand next they will be telling you what colour you can paint your house.

Excellent troll. You got me good.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

"So I've been pouring [sic] through state statutes and local code and watching those hilarious videos of judges getting all sputtery when their logical fallacies are exposed."

Where are these videos? This is what I was talking about before.

I think it happened on House once? Maybe that's what he's talking about.

Alternately, just watch any sovcit courtroom footage, but put on your anarchist autism goggles first so you can perceive it in a way that is favorable to whatever cause you have.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Most judges do get all spluttery when confronted by Sovereign Citizen spiels, but then anyone would struggle to maintain coherence when trying to have a meaningful conversation with someone who is effectively speaking in tongues.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Speaking in tongues...of unlimited legal power???

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Like I saw one video where a guy is fighting a traffic ticket. The judge is setting his trial date and he keeps saying all the sov cot bullshit, no jurisdiction, I'll send you an invoice for my time spent addressing this charge, I was traveling not driving, etc.

The judge just keeps saying "I don't really know what you're trying to tell me, but I will tell you again: I'm setting a trial for this date, it's your choice whether you come or not, but if you don't come we will hold the trial without you."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The judge just keeps saying "I don't really know what you're trying to tell me"

Ah HA! Game, set, match.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bad Munki posted:

Speaking in tongues...of unlimited legal power???

Here's a good citizen owning a judge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06VzxxDTnB8

"I speak for myself, of myself, and in myself."

lol

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I just started that video and I already feel sorry for the judge.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That worked out pretty well for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbVWY_dQQoc

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I like the hat with a feather in it. But seriously, why is it so hard to understand that you let that guy talk, then you get to talk?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

spacetoaster posted:

I like the hat with a feather in it. But seriously, why is it so hard to understand that you let that guy talk, then you get to talk?

For the same reason he doesn't understand literally anything else happening around him? He's gotta cast his spell, if he lets the other guy go first, his spell won't work (it didn't work this time because clearly everyone else cheated and didn't respect his words of power.)

The sad thing is, from the first video, the woman who I assume is probably his daughter? nodding away the whole time, she's soaking it up and is going to perpetuate this poo poo just the same as he is, and they're all going to sit around and bitch about how he was right and was cheated in spite of having done everything correctly, and then try the exact same thing again next time.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bad Munki posted:

and they're all going to sit around and bitch about how he was right and was cheated in spite of having done everything correctly, and then try the exact same thing again next time.
To be fair, this isn't much different from defense counsel and the bill of rights.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Bad Munki posted:

For the same reason he doesn't understand literally anything else happening around him? He's gotta cast his spell, if he lets the other guy go first, his spell won't work (it didn't work this time because clearly everyone else cheated and didn't respect his words of power.)

Do they never notice the fundamental flaw in their reasoning here? If people can just ignore them, they weren't really words of power in the first place.

Like, if they were to just go "I refuse to acknowledge the authority of this court: do whatever you're going to do" and leave it that, that'd at least be a coherent if stupid act of civil disobedience. But all of the painstaking effort that goes into the precise formatting of the bullshit they're spouting has nothing to do with fairness or justice and everything to do with some supposed set of secret legal cheat codes that judges are bound to obey, so the only possible justification for it is if it works, which it demonstrably doesn't.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 3, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thuryl posted:

Do they never notice the fundamental flaw in their reasoning here? If people can just ignore them, they weren't really words of power in the first place.

Like, if they were to just go "I refuse to acknowledge the authority of this court: do whatever you're going to do" and leave it that, that'd at least be a coherent if stupid act of civil disobedience. But all of the painstaking effort that goes into the precise formatting of the bullshit they're spouting has nothing to do with fairness or justice and everything to do with some supposed set of secret legal cheat codes that judges are bound to obey, so the only possible justification for it is if it works, which it demonstrably doesn't.

Now would be a good time for someone to re-post that write-up the one judge took the time to do. It was, like, half analysis of the sovcit movement and beliefs, and half "so you've got a sovcit in your courtroom" primer. Good stuff.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bad Munki posted:

That's funny because now that I look at the video the guy does have a giant wizard's tome in front of him.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

"You've gotta pick me up" was the best part of the followup there.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bad Munki posted:

"You've gotta pick me up" was the best part of the followup there.

It would have been funny if the officer was like: "I'm not picking up poo poo." *wheels him out on his rolling chair*

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thuryl posted:

No, it just proves how corrupt the judges are because they won't follow the real laws.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I think I have that judges sovcit opinion in my avatar.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Regarding lawns, I'd love to turn my lawn into a nice lovely prairie full of native species but then again this happens:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-06-02/news/ct-met-weeds-dispute-0602-20120602_1_weeds-case-returns-prairie-garden

quote:

The dispute began simply enough, with a neighbor's complaints about the plants behind a southwest suburban couple's backyard. Where the neighbor saw weeds, the two U.S. EPA employees who lived in the home saw an environmentally friendly prairie garden.

Since then, a two-year legal battle has spread like unruly crab grass across state and federal courts with no end in sight. Will County authorities have spent more than $50,000 on an outside lawyer to respond to civil rights claims while prosecuting the Frankfort-area family over the plants.

Also in Chicago it's a strict violation, so mowing it after citation doesn't get you out of it, and it's a $300 minimum fine. And 'weeds' include random plants that may/may not be weeds and it's not like a judge is going to know what's up.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
She set his bond and scheduled him for hearing. When he showed up:

"Ernie Wayne terTelgte, 52, appeared in Gallatin County Justice Court briefly Monday afternoon for an omnibus hearing. Judge Rick West asked terTelgte to remove his three-cornered hat in the courtroom. TerTelgte refused to do so and launched into his “Natural Man” speech. After asking the defendant to stop speaking three times, West held him in contempt of court and ordered sheriff’s deputies to haul him to jail for 30 days."

"Deputy Matthew Boxmeyer tried to get terTelgte to put his hands behind his back so he could handcuff him. TerTelgte responded by telling Boxmeyer that he had no authority to arrest him. Three deputies took terTelgte to the ground and handcuffed him."

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/crime/natural-man-jailed-again/article_6d910b4a-8834-11e3-9850-0019bb2963f4.html

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The lower the court, the more experience the judge has with this poo poo, as it's far more common with parking tickets and lawn ordinances than murder or whatever.

The judge I worked with stuck to his script, and whenever they said the magic nonsense words he just parsed it as a request to repeat himself more slowly and clearly. The court coordinator and I just sat there exchanging eyerolls and trying not to giggle.

It usually worked eventually. One woman faked(?) a panic attack and got her date reset. She was no better-prepared next time but was better-behaved.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

My original impetus to post was that Finland has no *mow their lawn" law and the vermin don't seem to run over things yet. The HOA followup was just pure inspiration. Thank you.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Thuryl posted:

If they comply without protest, they believe that it can be construed as acknowledgement and acceptance of the court's authority, which isn't totally crazy.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

doverhog posted:

My original impetus to post was that Finland has no *mow their lawn" law and the vermin don't seem to run over things yet. The HOA followup was just pure inspiration. Thank you.

Finland probably doesn't have an extensive rational basis test jurisprudence that allows any law so long as somebody can think up a facially plausible excuse for the law. Even if you can't manage that, the judge will usually do it for you.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Say a person discovered bed bugs in his apartment building. Say it has around 30 units and units near this person's apartment have been recently vacated and he has not slept away nor brought anything in to the apartment that could harbor bed bugs. Say he notified the ll in writing per the lease immediately. Say an exterminator is scheduled to come in for the first treatment 5 days after notification. What can he expect to recover and should he wait to send a demand until all the expenses are known?

Say he is staying with his parents until at least the first treatment and will have to wash 30 loads of laundry and have 4 suits, 2 sports coats and about 20 suit separate pants dry cleaned. He will have to replace bedding. Would it be better for him to return after the first treatment or wait for all treatments to complete after about a month?

E: say this is in Indiana.

BgRdMchne fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Does the lease include any provisions regarding bed bugs? Some apartments make you disclaim any liability towards the apartment complex for bed bugs