Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Alain Post posted:

The only thing that would excite me is Max Verstappen having a fatal accident in practice at this point.

Enjoying Moto2 today so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Alain Post posted:

The only thing that would excite me is Max Verstappen having a fatal accident in practice at this point.

Once again MotoGP trumps F1

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2016/06/03/statement-luis-salom/202682

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The weirdest things happen on that track, much like during Alonso's crash there also isn't any footage of the accident in this case.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Going to be neat when some poo poo driver (looking at you, Max) crashes into a 12th century castle wall.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

El Hefe posted:

The weirdest things happen on that track, much like during Alonso's crash there also isn't any footage of the accident in this case.

How footage hasn't surfaced of that Nando crash amazes me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

One Spaniard down

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

El Hefe posted:

There's footage on youtube from a camera phone looking at a TV, looks like he hit the tyre wall hard

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Alain Post posted:

Forget that, we'd never hear the end of his "Legend". For now he's just a future pastor maldonado. Give him a few years in a failing red bull, a few more in a sauber and we're rid of him for life.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Why is there no barrier around turn 1? It's just a couple of pedestrian fences and portable buildings. They should have archers shooting arrows from the castle battlements.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i'm like 99% sure i've seen video of alonso's crash

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

djssniper posted:

There's footage on youtube from a camera phone looking at a TV, looks like he hit the tyre wall hard

Looks like he fell and his bike hit first and rebounded and smashed into him (in the head?) as he slid towards the wall?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

These Formula E circuits are all the same crappy tiny roads with the right angle turns

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
So MotoGP/Moto2 just killed another driver, how long before they start bolting a huge bird cage to the bike around the driver? (Still salty about the "Halo")

edit: VvV Jesus christ wicka with the rage. Go for a walk or something... VvV

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 3, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

still unclear how anyone could possibly be opposed to the halo. kind of unfathomable. oh well.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

wicka posted:

still unclear how anyone could possibly be opposed to the halo. kind of unfathomable. oh well.
Remember that there are people in this day and age who refuse to wear seatbelts or motorcycle helmets.

Also "It's ugly". Who gives a gently caress? I would most rather nobody caught an errant wheel (or car) to the face and die.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Falken posted:

Also "It's ugly". Who gives a gently caress? I would most rather nobody caught an errant wheel (or car) to the face and die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsogswrH6ck&t=4s

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

you say that but what kind of really truly abhorrent and worthless piece of poo poo do you have to be to say you value the aesthetics of a race car over a man's life? again it's just baffling how you feel empowered to admit that in public

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Don't quote overrated movies at me young man. :argh:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

wicka posted:

I am opposed to the halo only because I think Red Bull's aeroscreen is a better option.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

I am opposed to the halo only because I think Red Bull's aeroscreen is a better option.

well yeah, that's fair, but then there's people who think no head protection is better than some head protection, or who continually ramble on about full canopies without understanding that it'd take years to implement such a thing, or even worse, the people who just think F1 is "cool" with debris flying at drivers' heads.

and it's not a tiny group of people, either. probably the best ever example of why the FIA should ignore the fans.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Yea, also how could they continue to host these psychotic motorcycle races that injure and kill yearly, not once per decade? They should add side-cars with roll hoops to motoGP or ban the series completely

No lives matter.

I also preferred the aeroscreen, and liked a front roll hoop structure Ala "Top fuel" even more, both for egress during a fire reasons

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 3, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
All drivers should use head protection except Max Verstappen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Yea, also how could they continue to host these psychotic motorcycle races that injure and kill yearly, not once per decade? They should add side-cars with roll hoops to motoGP or ban the series completely :colbert:

No lives matter.

why is this your response to a post about an entirely different thing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

finally, something we can all agree on

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I want the jet fighter style canopy which slides open with a psssssh noise.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
^^^ Mods? That sick filth cant possibly be allowed in 2016.

learnincurve posted:

I want the jet fighter style canopy which slides open with a psssssh noise.

Actually a canopy that slides directly forward on rails (with a backup hinge on the side for nose-on accidents) would be a great mixture between debris protection and "Can escape an upside down, on fire car".

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Alain Post posted:

Jos is that you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The "upside down on fire car" thing is not a non-issue but I still think it isn't really as big as people claim, mainly since there are many, many safety improvements in F1 cars, circuits, and marshaling to mitigate fire risk, but comparatively few improvements to mitigate the risk of debris to the head.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

wicka posted:

well yeah, that's fair, but then there's people who think no head protection is better than some head protection,

I usually consider stuff like that to be mostly Europeans bitching about "tradition" and "how things were better in the old days, when Fangio would have a couple of pints and then go bang in a couple fastest laps". It's never going to be like that again, and the sport is better for it.

You are following a sport that revolves around technological progress, you're not allowed to bitch about how things were better "in the old days"

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
The Formula One Group describes Azerbaijan as having a “well-earned reputation as a modern European country.”
Asked whether Azerbaijan’s human-rights record poses a problem, Formula 1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone has said, “I think everybody seems to be happy. There doesn’t seem to be any big problem there.”

Well, if Bernie says so, it has to be true.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well, they already race in Singapore, to be fair.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Whenever I read people bitching about full canopy in F1 and banging on about the good old days, I can't help but think of those lunatics in WW1 fighter planes who had no cockpit at all and would just throw grenades at each other. The idea of a modern fighter plane having no cockpit protection is just unfathomable, and yet because it's a sport it's OK in F1?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Alain Post posted:

The "upside down on fire car" thing is not a non-issue but I still think it isn't really as big as people claim, mainly since there are many, many safety improvements in F1 cars, circuits, and marshaling to mitigate fire risk, but comparatively few improvements to mitigate the risk of debris to the head.
It was probably discussed but I just don't remember, but how would the Ferrari roll hoop or the Red Bull aeroscreen have effected Alonso escaping his car in Australia? It was kind of on its side wedged up against the wall.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Marshals don't like the halo for that reason, it could have also hindered getting not-max out of that tyre wall. I don't like the halo because it's half arsed, they will stick that on and it will do, and we won't see full enclosed cockpits because of it.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Alain Post posted:

But it's ugly.

learnincurve posted:

Marshals don't like the halo for that reason, it could have also hindered getting not-max out of that tyre wall. I don't like the halo because it's half arsed, they will stick that on and it will do, and we won't see full enclosed cockpits because of it.

They're continuing with development of the aeroscreen for 2018, though, that definitely seems like a step towards closed cockpits.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 3, 2016

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Whenever I read people bitching about full canopy in F1 and banging on about the good old days, I can't help but think of those lunatics in WW1 fighter planes who had no cockpit at all and would just throw grenades at each other. The idea of a modern fighter plane having no cockpit protection is just unfathomable, and yet because it's a sport it's OK in F1?

You really are comparing apples with oranges there

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

IOM TT starts tomorrow... proper balls of steel

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

With the speeds that modern fighter planes travel, the pilots would be ripped apart if they didn't have a canopy. A canopy isn't a "safety feature" on a fighter jet, it's a necessity.

[edit]

:quebec:

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

learnincurve posted:

Wow you and i really are very different. My rich guy pipe dream is building and flying one of these:

http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/nieuport17%7BFullscale%7D.html

When men were men #blessed #noparachute #burntodeath

• Locked thread