Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

That until now, just this once, in another country/culture, I've never seen a homeless woman - only men. Maybe the rest of this post would better fit in the A/T stupid questions thread, but what would be the cause of this imbalance?

You've seen them. They've just been prostituting instead of begging, so you didn't notice.

Edit: Sure, why wouldn't this be a page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Plus a homeless woman is much more vulnerable to be on the street. Generally they couldn't be out begging on the street especially in the evening the same way men could.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Where are you guys from? When I lived in San Francisco I saw homeless women all the time.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I live in Detroit and I see plenty of homeless women

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Australia. FWIW the place I saw this one is Japan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Another factor would probably be that in many areas there are shelters specifically for women, because of the higher risk.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

AlphaKretin posted:

Australia. FWIW the place I saw this one is Japan.

Where in Australia? I'm in Melbourne and I'd say I see a 50/50 split between women and men in the CBD/Swanston St.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Here'sa handy list of where to find a lot of homeless women in Australia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_immigration_detention_facilities

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang

Phlegmish posted:

Wouldn't it be the other way around? I thought that sound was mostly found in Peninsular Spanish, with Latin Americans pronouncing z as s.

That's correct, the Spanish lisp pronounces z's and soft c's like the english th, though not all Spaniards have that accent. Latin American accents don't have this sound. I'm not sure what the person you were quoting was trying to say, but it's certainly possible for a Mexican to pronounce the sound especially if they speak English.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is it true that the Spanish lisp thing is on account of Charles II being horribly inbred and unable to pronounce things correctly?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Is it true that the Spanish lisp thing is on account of Charles II being horribly inbred and unable to pronounce things correctly?

Of course not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a joke and/or urban legend.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Whitlam posted:

Where in Australia? I'm in Melbourne and I'd say I see a 50/50 split between women and men in the CBD/Swanston St.

Adelaide and trips to Sydney are the points of reference I'm remembering. I've been to Melbourne but it's entirely possible o just never noticed them. :downs:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

pyf place to scope homeless babes

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

AlphaKretin posted:

Adelaide and trips to Sydney are the points of reference I'm remembering. I've been to Melbourne but it's entirely possible o just never noticed them. :downs:

It's probably a combination of never noticing and what others have said about them deliberately choosing to stay less visible because of danger. I know it isn't hard-hitting journalism, but Cracked did an article once with a homeless woman talking about her experiences. I think the prostitution stuff is less of an issue here, since it's legalised. Not to say it never happens or anything like that, but having it legalised definitely changes things.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'd say 85% of ordinary men have dry balls. Spit on them, slap some lotion on them, olive oil, Pam, whatever--moisturize your balls, gentlemen. I knew a farmer whose fingertips split open from a combination of wear-and-tear and chronic dryness; ball sacks are capable of doing the same thing, given sufficient desiccation.

I had this, or something similar to it, happen when I was 12. My whole crotch became all scaly sorta like a harlequin baby and would bleed between the cracks. I remember going to the bathroom in middle school to dab it with a moist paper towel and crying. Because I was at a sensitive age I never told anyone, including my parents. I'm lucky my dick didn't fall off or something. The condition ended up resolving itself after a few weeks, fortunately, but it was loving awful while it lasted.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Travis343 posted:

Phish tour, duh

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Anywhere really, as long as I have the high ground.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Ohio has a basketball team and so does Oklahoma. Who knew?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Travis343 posted:

E/N has got you covered (requires archives)

e: to contribute, I just realised that the German words "modern" (like the English word) and "modern" (moulder, rot) are written exactly the same, just stressed on different syllables. I've known this basically since I learned to read ~25 years ago, but I didn't really *notice* the similarity until now :v:

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 09:24 on Jun 4, 2016

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Ytlaya posted:

I had this, or something similar to it, happen when I was 12. My whole crotch became all scaly sorta like a harlequin baby and would bleed between the cracks. I remember going to the bathroom in middle school to dab it with a moist paper towel and crying. Because I was at a sensitive age I never told anyone, including my parents. I'm lucky my dick didn't fall off or something. The condition ended up resolving itself after a few weeks, fortunately, but it was loving awful while it lasted.

Weird, I had the same thing at about the same age. Same gig with me, I didn't tell anyone and it self resolved in a few weeks. I attribute it to an unreasonable amount of masturbation.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
In Beverley Hills Cop III (the one in the theme park) Axel Foley is being cornered outside a ride by the security guards after he's seen the counterfeiting machines in action. The guards open their jackets to show their guns to Foley before he thinks for a moment, fires a couple of shots in the air and surrenders.

I could never work out why he fired his gun (I assumed it was just to set up the plot to get him on camera so he could be framed for shooting Uncle Dave) until it hit me - because he'd seen too much he had to draw attention to himself so people would ask questions if he disappeared. If he didn't draw any attention the guards would have taken him away and murdered him.

Which is a bit grim for a comedy movie when you think about it.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
If you hit the TV Guide button on the remote during commercial breaks, all the obnoxious flashing ads meant to get your attention without sound get shrunk to 1/10th of the screen. It's the visual equivalent of a mute button.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Goddamn Particle posted:

If you hit the TV Guide button on the remote during commercial breaks, all the obnoxious flashing ads meant to get your attention without sound get shrunk to 1/10th of the screen. It's the visual equivalent of a mute button.

I just browse teletext which covers it all (or not if you so choose) but most other countries don't have that anymore I guess?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That hiding all posts from Shaun King makes my Facebook experience infinitely better. The amount of people I know who think the media is conspiring to make Hillary Clinton president, but think a reporter who is openly biased in favor of Sanders speaks the gospel, is totally staggering.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Michael Parks in the movies

is the same guy as the Michael Parks on this record which I've had for years

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And the same guy who played Jean Renault in Twin Peaks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

And the same guy who played Jean Renault in Twin Peaks.

gently caress, that was like 25 years ago? (Also I didn't have the record back then.)

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Crossposting because I can't believe I missed this in the movie "Airplane!".

FMguru posted:

it took me 20 years before i realized that the droning propeller noise in all the plane scenes is a wonderful running joke

its a jet plane

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are martial artists

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
A stitch in time saves nine.

Meaning taking the time to fix a problem now prevents the problem from spiraling out of control so that you have to fix the even bigger problem later.

NOT meaning anything about the fabric of time being ripped & needing to be stitched together to prevent the annihilation of the universe.

:doh:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hamilton ticket sales in Chicago will include select seats on sale via digital lottery for $10 each. This is not only to make the show affordable--it's because Hamilton is on the $10 bill.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
You can call us Aaron Burr/from the way we're droppin' Hamiltons

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Bernie losing the black vote, specifically in the south, I sometimes tweet about how he couldn't bother to even stop in Atlanta and have some pulled pork.

Sanders is Jewish and might not eat pork. :sweatdrop:

e; I've known he was jewish but the whole "no pork" thing just never clicked.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Jun 10, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't know the depths of his religious beliefs but he doesn't strike me as someone who bothers with kosher rules.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't know the depths of his religious beliefs but he doesn't strike me as someone who bothers with kosher rules.

He's a politician, so he sure as poo poo does in public. It's that or kiss a substantial portion of the Jewish vote goodbye.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Didn't he get pulled pork with some rapper dude?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

flosofl posted:

He's a politician, so he sure as poo poo does in public. It's that or kiss a substantial portion of the Jewish vote goodbye.

Do you have anything to back up your statement?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Do you have anything to back up your statement?

What? No, of course not. I was being hyperbolic about how all politicians are the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

Lots and lots of Jews don't fully keep kosher but specifically don't eat pig because it's non kosher.