Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

80 minute Haitian finale :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

snucks posted:

The chromatography episode is a personal favorite specifically for his open hostility towards the chemist performing a messy in-house visual demonstration for his radio program.

That episode is amazing, Melvyn literally starts by calling it a primary school science experiment and then the guest wheels out the test kit :laffo:

I think it's the same guy that gets abruptly shut down as well when talking about the life of the person who discovered it or something? "Yes yes but we're not going to talk about that now, moving along..."

I find though that IOT lives and dies on the strength of its guests, because often there's someone who's clearly very nervous and spends more time uhming and stammering than actually talking about their field, and it makes the whole thing almost unlistenable :(

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Rodyle posted:

80 minute Haitian finale :allears:

What's next? I stuck with it through the French Revolution but lost steam after that.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Bolivar and Gran Colombia.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Ok many thanks!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

This last Haiti episode is horrifying :ohdear:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

What's next? I stuck with it through the French Revolution but lost steam after that.

I admittedly haven't finished yet, but the Haiti series is pretty good. It's a lot easier to follow than the French Revolution, simply because there's really only about 10 guys you have to keep serious track of.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

webmeister posted:

I admittedly haven't finished yet, but the Haiti series is pretty good. It's a lot easier to follow than the French Revolution, simply because there's really only about 10 guys you have to keep serious track of.

And of those guys only like four or five are active at any given time.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

pillsburysoldier posted:

This last Haiti episode is horrifying :ohdear:

I live in South Florida where there is a huge Haitian ex-pat community so I'm well exposed to it, but yeah there's a whole lot of 'Death to America' fuel in the Haiti post-revolution wrap up episode.

It's really loving depressing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So Haiti's finally done? Now to binge that then. Has he mentioned how long his hiatus is going to be (a month right?) before getting into Gran Colombia?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

snucks posted:

The chromatography episode is a personal favorite specifically for his open hostility towards the chemist performing a messy in-house visual demonstration for his radio program.

That was the funniest IOT moment ever.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Gran Colombia starts June 5.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Personally I'm looking forward to the October Revolution and the Russian Revolution more generally.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like the Haiti and Colombia choices because I know next to nothing going in.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I like the Haiti and Colombia choices because I know next to nothing going in.

Yeah likewise. Six months ago I knew the names of Simon Bolivar and Toussaint Louverture, but aside from Bolivar being a Colombian revolutionary I probably couldn't have told you anything else.

Although I guess thinking back, I didn't know much about the English revolution aside from Cromwell existing and taking over the government. I knew the very basics of the American revolution because as a non-American you just constantly encounter references to it. But even the French revolution I didn't know that much about beyond the obvious parts like the Bastille, Louis's execution, liberte/egalite/fraternite, Robespierre, the Terror and ultimately Napoleon.

The Russian revolution is something I've already studied in a lot of depth so I'm not expecting to learn anywhere near as much, but I'm still interested to hear Mike talk about it and analyse it.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
FYI... Just ran across a newish podcast called Inward Empire on the Dark Myths collective, I'm really digging it. The first two episodes are on the interaction between the English settlers and Indians in New England. Really well written, insightful, nice pace and presentation.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

The_Raven posted:

FYI... Just ran across a newish podcast called Inward Empire on the Dark Myths collective, I'm really digging it. The first two episodes are on the interaction between the English settlers and Indians in New England. Really well written, insightful, nice pace and presentation.

Thanks a ton for the recommendation! The delivery is a little dry at times for my tastes but overall it's a great podcast. I especially appreciated the host explaining how the massive epidemics following 1492 left behind huge swaths of
"widowed land" that lent itself perfectly to the puritans' idea of divine providence. Fascinating stuff.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

The_Raven posted:

This is absolutely my poo poo. I love it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Can I get a listener report on History on Fire? I heard it recommended at the end of the most recent History of Byzantium episode and I love the guy's accent, but I'm a little wary because he seems associated with Joe Rogan and I have a bit of an aversion to that strain intellectual broism.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
The idea of widowed land is especially interesting to me, as where I live in New England, you can see old stone walls all over the place, marking what were once farms and fields, now grown over with forests as those who live there moved west for less rocky soils. Even now, entropy sets in ever and ever, and I'll drive past small dirt paths which are barely distinguishable from their surroundings, paths which will disappear entirely if they continue to be unused and forgotten entirely as well.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

mythomanic posted:

This is absolutely my poo poo. I love it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Can I get a listener report on History on Fire? I heard it recommended at the end of the most recent History of Byzantium episode and I love the guy's accent, but I'm a little wary because he seems associated with Joe Rogan and I have a bit of an aversion to that strain intellectual broism.

He's loosely associated with Joe Rogan the same as Dan Carlin is associated with Joe Rogan.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

mythomanic posted:

It was a hard pass for me because it felt like Deadliest Warrior the Podcast. I don't think I made it through an entire episode, though, but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned a while back so there might be better takes if you feel like digging a little.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely history in the vein of Hardcore History, just with an Italian accent.

I think his Iceman episode might be his best so far. Try that one in full and see if it's for you.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I enjoy it. I've listened to the duels & the slave wars episodes.

Thwomp posted:

It's definitely history in the vein of Hardcore History, just with an Italian accent.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

TontoCorazon posted:

He's loosely associated with Joe Rogan the same as Dan Carlin is associated with Joe Rogan.

http://www.danielebolelli.com/2013/08/28/the-drunken-taoist-podcast-23/ Carlin on his podcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruY9Zvmef0Y Carlin and him together on Rogan

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

btw I've listened to common sense now. Hmm. Probably not academic enough for my taste. It's like party- or dinner-chat, maybe with a bit more research.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

That's like the only episode of that podcast that I've liked.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The_Raven posted:

I've devoured every episode and love this podcast; but can someone under the age of 30 help me with the website? I don't see any way to donate or to contact the author about donating - websites made with mobile devices in mind confuse me and I can't find any useful links on either the main Inward Empire site or the Dark Myths parent site.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've devoured every episode and love this podcast; but can someone under the age of 30 help me with the website? I don't see any way to donate or to contact the author about donating - websites made with mobile devices in mind confuse me and I can't find any useful links on either the main Inward Empire site or the Dark Myths parent site.

You could leave a comment on one of the posts I suppose:

https://inwardempirepodcast.wordpress.com/

He seems to be replying to them.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Megazver posted:

You could leave a comment on one of the posts I suppose:

https://inwardempirepodcast.wordpress.com/

He seems to be replying to them.

Just left a comment myself... I had gone looking for a Patreon, etc. link the other day and Jack's and your posts reminded me to swing back.

Looks like the next episode will be released in June, and judging by the teaser illustration, it's right up my alley.

e: Heard back... There will be information re: Patreon with the next podcast release.

The_Raven fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 21, 2016

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Anyone have any good Space podcasts?
I listened to star talk and I like NDT as much as any nerd but I got a bit tired of pizza analogies. I'm no scientist but I would like something I can learn from.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

I listened to star talk and I like NDT as much as any nerd but I got a bit tired of pizza analogies. I'm no scientist but I would like something I can learn from.

365 Days of Astronomy started out broadcasting a short episode (usually 5-10 minutes) every day during 2009 because it was the international year of astronomy or something, but it proved so popular that they've done a daily episode ever since. A whole bunch of different people have contributed episodes.

There was also a weekly version that removed the common intro and outro for the middle episodes of the week to cut down on run time but I think that stopped in 2011.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Astronomy Cast: http://www.astronomycast.com
Planetary Radio: http://www.planetary.org/multimedia/planetary-radio/

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

There's also the Ohio State University Astronomy 161 and 162 full course lectures that you can listen to. Very informative.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
The Naked Scientists have two: Space Boffins, which is a little lighter on the pure science than their other one, Naked Astronomy, which has more news/science/engineering which I prefer.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/astronomy/

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
If anyone is looking for show on contemporary politics, I would recommend Keepin' it 1600. It's run by two Obama guys, Jon Favreau and Dan Pfeiffer. It's rather liberal, but they have brought a couple Republicans on. It's definitely some inside baseball and in the end, it's just another couple of politicos making their educated guesses, but I think they have some really insightful comments. I want to reiterate that it's pretty partisan.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

bollig posted:

If anyone is looking for show on contemporary politics, I would recommend Keepin' it 1600. It's run by two Obama guys, Jon Favreau and Dan Pfeiffer. It's rather liberal, but they have brought a couple Republicans on. It's definitely some inside baseball and in the end, it's just another couple of politicos making their educated guesses, but I think they have some really insightful comments. I want to reiterate that it's pretty partisan.

They had S.E. Cupp on and they didn't interrupt her or shout her down when she was talking absurd nonsense about political correctness having caused Trump so it's not that bad as far as "liberal bias" goes.

The inside baseball on the Obama 2008 campaign and their comparisons to today are very interesting.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
If anyone is looking for a show on contemporary politics, i would recommend Chapo Trap House. they have an encyclopedic knowledge of beltway hacks and political commentators and ruthlessly dish on people like keepin it 1600.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/739596880200470530

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Dan Carlin is loving pissed in the latest Common Sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Dan Carlin is loving pissed in the latest Common Sense.

I'm glad that Carlin was up front about not recommending Common Sense to his listeners (like me) who just want to hear him talk about history rather than current events. I feel like listening to Common Sense would unfairly lessen my enjoyment of Hardcore History somehow.