Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

cyberia posted:

Ugh, my family do this. They always talk about fast food as if it's the most terrible poison you can put in your body. Like, if you've desecrated yourself with a Big Mac you may as well skip straight to injecting heroin into your eyeballs because there's clearly nothing left in life for you. (At the same time they eat terrible, unhealthy garbage food, just not fast food so I don't know if it's some sort of weird classist prejudice or where the gently caress it comes from.)

Anyway, the other week I went to visit my grandpa in the nursing home he lives in. My aunt and grandma came along, too. My aunt decides they will get KFC for lunch as a treat for my grandparents and asks what I want. I said I'll just have a soda as I knew whatever I ordered would be met with a bunch of comments about how it's soooo unhealthy and isn't it just terrible that people eat this stuff (said while they're all shoving down a ton of food) and so on. So my aunt comes back and has gotten me some chips which I eat because I'm polite and then after everyone's finished she starts saying 'oh I thought you just wanted a soda and weren't going to eat?' and it's like, gently caress, you bought food for me. Was I supposed to throw it on the ground and tell you to get hosed? Jesus. Ugh, people being weird about food drives me insane. Just eat what you want and don't proselytise to me and don't give me poo poo about what I want to put in my body.

Wait, so she just finished eating the same food she's shaming you for eating?? What the gently caress is happening here :psyduck:

I just got done losing a bunch of weight and I have an aunt with similar thoughts on fast food. E NUMBERRRRRRRS :supaburn: and its p obvious she hasn't a clue what healthy eating looks like because she's afraid of anything "processed" but literally didn't believe me when I said I lost weight by just eating less (oh no I love pasta I could never just eat a little bit of it tee hee hee) and was convinced I was starving myself or had started eating gluten again so my hosed up ceoliac intestine would murder itself. Every time I put food near my face in front of her I'd get a comment. And now my sister is losing weight too she's started on her, and is telling her not to lift baby dumbbells too much in case she gets "bulky". She's a loving carnival of terrible misinformed opinions and I'm glad her children seem to know she's full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

teenytinymouse posted:

Wait, so she just finished eating the same food she's shaming you for eating?? What the gently caress is happening here :psyduck:

I just got done losing a bunch of weight and I have an aunt with similar thoughts on fast food. E NUMBERRRRRRRS :supaburn: and its p obvious she hasn't a clue what healthy eating looks like because she's afraid of anything "processed" but literally didn't believe me when I said I lost weight by just eating less (oh no I love pasta I could never just eat a little bit of it tee hee hee) and was convinced I was starving myself or had started eating gluten again so my hosed up ceoliac intestine would murder itself. Every time I put food near my face in front of her I'd get a comment. And now my sister is losing weight too she's started on her, and is telling her not to lift baby dumbbells too much in case she gets "bulky". She's a loving carnival of terrible misinformed opinions and I'm glad her children seem to know she's full of poo poo.

One of the radio shows I listen to pimps out Red Mountain Weight Loss with their magic and patented formula diet pill, which works all the time! But....in the program you exercise more and eat a lot less, so I doubt the pill does anything. I am eagerly waiting for the next few years where they find out the pill causes cancer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

teenytinymouse posted:

She's shaming them for eating anything at all after politely saying "I'm not hungry" to avoid KFC.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Henchman of Santa posted:

She's shaming them for eating anything at all after politely saying "I'm not hungry" to avoid KFC.

I still don't get it how she's not shaming herself at the same time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

teenytinymouse posted:

I still don't get it how she's not shaming herself at the same time.

I've seen the logic before - they think it's OK for them to treat themselves once in a while, because htey believe they live a healthy life etc the rest of the time and deserve it. Sometimes people will fixate on a friend or relative that they think "they need to lose weight" and internally roll their eyes whenever they see them eating something with more calories than a bowl of lettuce, because they assume you eat like that all the time, unlike them. It's a standard "I know what is best for me, and also you and everyone else" attitude.

I know the original poster of that story didn't do this since the fries were explicitly given to and bought for them, but it did remind me of something that does legitimately annoy me - when someone says they aren't hungry or skipping whatever the meal is but then pick at other peoples' food. Also people who say "I'll just eat from the appetizers we ordered and skip the meal" - you know they are going to devour most of the appetizers and then steal your fries throughout the meal and only have to pay 2 bucks because the appetizers were split evenly. If you want to eat, order your own drat food. You don't go to bars and say "I'm fine, I'm not drinking" and sneak sips of your neighbor's beer every time they look away, why do you think it's OK to do it with food?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What I don't understand is how these people get through life seemingly never being told to gently caress off

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

People that use offramps/onramps as a lane to get past traffic during rush hour. To elaborate, let's say you're on a 4 lane freeway at rush hour, it's backed up as gently caress. You come up to an exit and these assholes will exit, wait at the stoplight, then go straight back onto the freeway. Not only are you not saving any time but are probably in fact wasting more time, you're making me have to wait for your dumb rear end to cross the street to go back down the onramp and back to the freeway before I can turn onto the onramp. gently caress you time wasting assholes you're not saving any time and are inconveniencing those of us actually getting on the freeway!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't know if I'm more peeved by lovely craftsmen or lovely friend's recommendations, but; a crew my friends and a bunch of homeowners in their neighborhood used which was supposedly really fast and clean... ended up leaving random worksite trash everywhere and a couple of their cleanup bins or whatever, and they installed parts of the gutter upside-down. TWICE. So they ended up coming back like three times, and just yesterday it rained and I saw some of the same problems.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well, thanks to the forums, now I have a new peeve.

Posters saying "What's the over/under..." as a way of saying "What are the odds that..." when the thing in question is not quantifiable in any sort of over/under sense.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

"hence why"

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
"Can I..." instead of "May I..."

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Crow Jane posted:

"Can I..." instead of "May I..."

"I don't know, CAN you?" :smug:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

I have to fight down the urge every time, believe me.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Parasol Prophet posted:

My pet peeve is getting this in response to a question of possibility rather than permission.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh, here is a (very dangerous) driving pet peeve of mine:

Sometimes when I'm driving in the right lane of the expressway and there's a person just entering the expressway on one of those temporary lanes to the right of me (or in a lane that is otherwise about to end), they'll stay in the lane that is about to end for as long as humanly possible and then suddenly decide that the best way to merge in is to speed up and try to get in front of me. I've almost gotten in a wreck several times because of this, and a couple times I've had to move to the left to avoid getting hit because the dumb rear end in a top hat has stayed in the ending lane until the absolute last minute and kept speeding up instead of merging in behind me. If you are merging into traffic, you slow down and get behind people, not speed up to try and get in front of them.

Generally speaking I'm very tolerant towards driving gently caress-ups, because most of them could be attributed to someone just being distracted or something. It's only the ones that clearly require an active decision on the part of the driving that piss me off.

Crow Jane posted:

I have to fight down the urge every time, believe me.

My version of this is people saying "good" instead of "well". Like, if someone says "I play piano really good" I have to resist the urge to correct them.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Jun 3, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I hate driving chat but that is one that drives me nuts. Don't wait until the last minute to merge or change lanes, do it as soon as it is possible to do it safely. I also hate it when someone is giving me directions somewhere and I ask which way we're turning next and they say "oh don't worry, we still have a mile to go" even though it's heavy traffic. Just tell me so I can get over now instead of being forced to make a u-turn when I can't merge 200 feet before the intersection when you finally decide to tell me.

titties
May 10, 2012

"an peeve"

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
When you're pooping at work and there's a lot of traffic. Dammit, people, I'm trying to make my escape here! I get that they can't predict someone's in there stinking up the place, and everyone's gotta pee, but it's irritating. The restroom on our floor gets very little traffic except those times when you're pooping your brains out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Maggie Fletcher posted:

When you're pooping at work and there's a lot of traffic. Dammit, people, I'm trying to make my escape here! I get that they can't predict someone's in there stinking up the place, and everyone's gotta pee, but it's irritating. The restroom on our floor gets very little traffic except those times when you're pooping your brains out.

That's why you go poop in some other department/building's toilet so nobody could possibly expect it's you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I know the original poster of that story didn't do this since the fries were explicitly given to and bought for them, but it did remind me of something that does legitimately annoy me - when someone says they aren't hungry or skipping whatever the meal is but then pick at other peoples' food. Also people who say "I'll just eat from the appetizers we ordered and skip the meal" - you know they are going to devour most of the appetizers and then steal your fries throughout the meal and only have to pay 2 bucks because the appetizers were split evenly. If you want to eat, order your own drat food. You don't go to bars and say "I'm fine, I'm not drinking" and sneak sips of your neighbor's beer every time they look away, why do you think it's OK to do it with food?

Not the same thing, but it reminded me: When you go to a restaurant and everyone wants to order a bunch of stuff to share with the group. It's fine if the restaurant is set up for that and you order the shared platter or whatever, but if you're ordering stuff that's a single main course for one person, gently caress off. I don't want to deal with "has everyone had some of this one?" and passing things back and forth, and trying not to take too much of anything, and how there's inevitably something that's really popular that you'd really like to eat more of but so does everyone else. I just want to pick something and eat it.

For some reason it always seems to happen with Asian food, whether at a restaurant or take-away. No one goes to an Italian restaurant and orders a bunch of things to share, but if you have Chinese then everyone wants to try everything (even though you've all eaten it before and if you wanted beef and black bean you should have just ordered that for yourself).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Always seems to happen to me when I've decided it's time to get back to work. Then someone comes in, and "nope." There's someone here who will pop in, not do anything, and leave. Also I learned that some people wash their hands before they pee and then not on the way out :iiam:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Whom isn't that hard to use correctly and it sounds weird when people don't use it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I've been looking for some jewelry on Etsy for the past few days, and it kills me that so many people selling antiques don't bother to spend a few minutes of research before posting their wares. Then they do poo poo like this:

Byzantine AND Victorian AND Art Nouveau AND Art Deco, you don't say??? No, they're earrings made in the 1950s, and the seller has just thrown up a bunch of random artistic periods to get their item included in a bunch of very disparate search results. If I'm looking for, say, genuine Victorian or Victorian-repro earrings, nothing good is going to come of these particular earrings turning up in my results list. I'm going to briefly think those are ugly and you're ignorant, and then move on. (By the way, $420 for those earrings? :allears:)

Art Nouveau and Art Deco are two terms in particular people seem to have no idea what the gently caress they're doing with. You see this all the time:

Look. Words mean things! Get this: Art Nouveau means something, and Art Deco means something else. It's true! Georgian, Regency, Victorian, Edwardian...these all mean things, too! loving spend 30 seconds on wikipedia and learn your history before using them to sell your poo poo! These words should not be slapped onto any old (or new!) thing like this, because now you have revealed you don't know the first thing about what you're selling, or art/antiques/history in general. If you don't know what you're selling, how can I trust that I'm getting what I think I'm getting, and your asking price is legit?

Also, learn to spell medieval.

And this is Etsy's fault -- "vintage" on Etsy means from the 1990s or earlier. 1990s should not be considered vintage, WTF. :corsair:

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
This has been happening a lot lately but it's enormously frustrating when public transit drivers seem to be deliberately trying to give everyone whiplash every five seconds.

EmmyOk posted:

Whom isn't that hard to use correctly and it sounds weird when people don't use it.

For sure. Also when people say "that" when they should say "who."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I refuse to buy anything from Etsy because 99.9% of it is "worthless plastic/tin/pewter attached to a chain". It's like every vendor ever at a Renaissance fair except they're on the internet and it's "hand made" (in the sense that they hook the pewter thing they ordered from a factory in China onto the chain by hand). I think even assuming those things are from the 50s is being way too generous to the stereotypical etsy seller. I would bet money they slapped that together in their garage half an hour before posting it for sale.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

WampaLord posted:

Posters saying "What's the over/under..." as a way of saying "What are the odds that..." when the thing in question is not quantifiable in any sort of over/under sense.

People that don't understand that sports championship odds/point spreads are predicting how people will bet, not who will win

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Frogisis posted:

This has been happening a lot lately but it's enormously frustrating when public transit drivers seem to be deliberately trying to give everyone whiplash every five seconds.

For sure. Also when people say "that" when they should say "who."

Oh, grammar peeves! I hate when people misuse phrases trying to sound smarter than they are. Specifically, they'll post a picture of themselves on facebook or wherever saying "Bob and I." Or "Jan and I at the Street Festival." It's Bob and ME. Take Bob out--you wouldn't label the picture "I," would you? You'd say "me." It's Bob and me. Unless you're saying "Bob and I went to the zoo today and here is our picture!" which, let's be real, you're not.

Speaking of real...it's realTORs, not real-i-tors. They're selling realty, not reality.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My "peeve" is people correcting me on grammar stuff like that when you very well knew what I meant. If the meaning is unclear, ask for clarification. If you know what I meant, respond as if I used the "proper" grammar.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
This reminds me of a very specific peeve: when I've shared stories I've written with people to get their feedback and they correct the grammar in characters' dialogue.

Come on. :mad:

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
And okay wow, I just developed a brand new peeve in the last hour. The neighbors are having a cookout, which should smell amazing, but instead smells like they're filling a pool with lighter fluid.

titties
May 10, 2012

artsy fartsy posted:

And okay wow, I just developed a brand new peeve in the last hour. The neighbors are having a cookout, which should smell amazing, but instead smells like they're filling a pool with lighter fluid.

peeve: people who don't know how to season their coals before grilling, it should never smell like starter fluid once the meat goes on god loving dammit

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

teenytinymouse posted:

Well, you see, when my aunt eats fast food it is an act of sacrifice so that her elderly parents can have a 'nice treat' for lunch but when I eat fast food it's because I'm a degenerate with no self control or willpower :downs:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I understand it's for training. I understand it's a nicer way to ask "why did you do that for?" But loving seriously when people are passive aggressively telling you how THEY would do something else.

Today I had a ride-along at work and had a delivery that was due by 9am. Well, the store opens at 730am, so at 7 I swung by, because the manager/opener has to be there early to open, right? My trainer asked me why I was waiting instead of driving the 15 minutes to the next stop, and THEN I could come back to this one. I pointed out that it was 15 minutes east to west, but heading back would put us through the thick rush hour, plus I have to backtrack again further west after. So he hummed a bit and kept asking if I was sure, because HE wouldn't want to have to explain this poo poo to the big boss, why we were wasting time. gently caress it, fine. I did as he said, and figured I would knock out all my west stops first. So I did. And because I didn't speed as he told me to (or run a few yellow lights) when I got back to the first store, it was 9:01. Late order. Now I have to explain to my boss why the order was late, how I could have done it differently, and the trainer wants to ride out again with me to "see if I am making use of my time."

Fucker never is on this side of town and after that, every loving drop he asked me what I thought he would have done instead. This is not how you train people, rear end in a top hat!

Same rear end in a top hat has a weird idea about what is efficient. Example, my tire had a pop in it. Rubber torn but still drivable to get replaced. He insisted we finish the route. Okay, 15 miles max. And then, instead of going to a close Discount Tires, he insisted on going to our main mechanic. 50 miles away. But first I would drop him off at the base, then take the van down, and if it would take more than 30 minutes, to call him, so he could pick me up using another poo poo van, and then I could use the poo poo van for the rest of the day, before picking him up AGAIN to get my van back. Instead of us going to the closest tire store and getting the thing replaced right then, a three hour turnaround was a better idea.

On that note, managers who are loving panicking about how busy it is, asking people to stay late....while 5-6 employees are having a "team meeting" about safety, what to include in the new email newsletter, what font to use, etc. Are we REALLY that busy or do you just want to sit and drink soda for an hour out of sight of customers?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

EmmyOk posted:

even worse is when they do use it and replace a grammatically correct "who."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Frogisis posted:

I'm experiencing this one even as we speak!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I nearly fell on top of a tiny old lady when my bus driver pulled that poo poo earlier this week. I really wish either of the other public transport options in my city (light rail, metro) went anywhere near my house.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

titties posted:

peeve: people who don't know how to season their coals before grilling, it should never smell like starter fluid once the meat goes on god loving dammit

Use a chimney starter and never use charcoal lighter fluid ever again. Your meat's flavor will thank you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

even worse is when they do use it and replace a grammatically correct "who."

Yeah, I'd say that if you don't know whether it should be "who" or "whom", say "who" because almost no one will notice or care, but if you pick "whom" and you're wrong it will be really obvious and you'll sound like an idiot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Murphy Brownback posted:

I hate driving chat but that is one that drives me nuts. Don't wait until the last minute to merge or change lanes, do it as soon as it is possible to do it safely. I also hate it when someone is giving me directions somewhere and I ask which way we're turning next and they say "oh don't worry, we still have a mile to go" even though it's heavy traffic. Just tell me so I can get over now instead of being forced to make a u-turn when I can't merge 200 feet before the intersection when you finally decide to tell me.

I almost rear-ended someone yesterday because they sped up to get around my ambulance and then slammed their brakes the second they got in front of me so they could make a right turn. People not understanding large vehicles require more stopping time is one of my peeves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

WampaLord posted:

Oh my loving god this drives me insane.