Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Through 49 boxes I got 2 legendary skins, and I was nearly at 1000 coin to buy one. Level 50 box opens and a gold pops out but it's just a cocktease 500 coin. It's all good though, I buy the Mariachi Reaper skin since that's the only way I can tolerate playing him. Level 51 box opens up and another gold pops up..... Mariachi Reaper.

gently caress you Blizzard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Lastgirl posted:

also what you're describing again is literally another Jojo stand user

That's not what The Hand does.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i still haven't played bastion once, just because of some personal stigma that he's too easy

secretly i'm 100% positive when I do play him i'll be awful get rolled hard

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Do we know the future of the OverWatch skins and downloadable content will be? Will there be a separate crates for the new stuff. If I decide to buy 50 loot crate's can I save something back and still get the new stuff?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

CJ posted:

That's not what The Hand does.

I know it cuts space, literally. It was more in reference to her saying tracer moving her arms quickly causing a disruption and it reminded me of The Hand

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

tracer's ult is a

:c00l:

time bomb

i think it's literally just this

Dick Trauma posted:

What are the characters you find yourself not playing at all?

haven't played a second of McCree and i don't plan on ever doing so

tracer, mei and pharah are also at the bottom.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
First of all: I want to make it clear that I am not offended. I myself am a high-functioning autistic, and I know that sometimes it takes a while for people who meet me to recognize my own psychological differentiation.

I am, however, confused.

Various online sources have suggested that Symmetra is supposedly on the autistic spectrum, and while I haven't seen the official stance myself I do recall reading that apparently some Blizzard employee tweeted affirmative. That said, none of Symmetra's characterization thus far seems to indicate her being on the spectrum--maybe being OCD, and seeing herself as a hero with high standards, but nothing that I would see as familiar in either myself or the other members of the spectrum I have met. I would describe my own experience with autism as "Body language is a foreign language;" I did take many psychology and theatre classes to learn how people emoted, but to this day there are so many things I miss and I'm honestly more comfortable when communication is limited to text or voice, rather than legit face to face. Symmetra... does not seem to have anything quite like this in her character, although there isn't anything that says she isn't autistic either.

To that end, I'm going to list a few possible ways to demonstrate her autism below. I recognize that I am not a developer, and that the developers can choose to ignore my choices, and that the implementation of any of these might have come about independently; these are to be honest reflections on my own experiences and only meant to explain what I mean.

Being sarcasm blind is kind of a staple of autism; we are aware it exists, but a lot of the subtle tells we give and receive are lost in translation. Voice lines where Symmetra clarifies "I was being sarcastic," or awkwardly checks "That was sarcasm, right?" might be an easy way to emphasize the hard time she has reading others.

Symmetra might react well to being called fit or graceful, as she is a dancer. However, being called beautiful or pretty would result in confusion, irritation, or just ignoring the comment; unless she is explicitly trying to look good, being told she looks good is as irrelevant as being told her dress is blue.

Because of our lack of body language comprehension, autistic people tend to avoid eye contact as the face is a very complex and subtle thing that can overwhelm us while we try to interpret it. It would not surprise me if Symmetra constantly wore her visor so she could have a filter while she looked people 'in the eye'; any time she is without it might be a time where she refuses to meet people's gaze, although she might not realize it.

Speaking of face contact, Symmetra might find socializing with Omnics easier because of their lack of face. In fact, she might find Bastion easier to be comfortable around then Zenyatta; the lack of words and very precise body language makes for a very clear emotional projection, so she wouldn't feel as awkward as trying to guess what others are feeling (or mentally trying to dissect Zenyatta's neck every time she looks at him).

As to the visor, it might be neat to have another architech put it on and comment on how strangely the data feeds are organized; autistic people don't learn the 'normal' way of thinking as easily as others, because of our lack of body language comprehension leading to not realizing that this or that suggestion is considered important. It would also be amusing to see Symmetra become offended at the architech's confusion, as to her the data feeds are graceful and orderly.

Symmetra might drop in and out of conversations without warning, as most autistic people don't quite grasp the concept of small talk; why talk when it's not relevant, and why keep silent when it is? She could also be annoyed if, for example, Billy Joe Johnson says "OH MY GOSH THE FESTIVAL IS FRIDAY!" if he had asked her to go to the festival on friday a few days ago, because she might see it as repeating something she knows.

Many autistic people have little gestures they do, generally as a way to move their thoughts along; it wouldn't surprise me if Symmetra played with her light sculptures or did some minor dance moves while she walked (in non combat scenarios). She might awkwardly stop if she notices anyone watching her, since it's sort of exposing her mind and that's private; admittedly, that might be more artistic then autistic, the whole "don't show your work while unfinished," but I've had that experience myself.

Symmetra being called autistic while demonstrating no signs of autism that I can recognize is more... annoying then offensive to me. I don't use my autism to excuse my actions, but I have heard of plenty of people who are jerks and justify it by saying "I'm autistic!" even if they really aren't. Symmetra does not seem to do that--she doesn't let autism define her--but at the same time I would have thought it would influence her to some degree.

That said, I do like her character, both storywise and gameplaywise. She might be offended at how I play her--placing turrets in chaotically random positions instead of anything orderly--but in the end I think she's a very reasonable and remarkable part of the Overwatch cast.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I really like the smug :clint: pub Mccrees that go "Problem?" when all they do is camp corridors and FB Fan you everytime.

No problem here, thanks for charging my particle gun :c00lbert:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I can't wait for the hammer to drop and the bad McCrees will cry salty tears while those who can aim will shrug and go with it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

This loving owns.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The solution is to implement RPG speech checks, with Symmetra having the lowest chance of success. (yes, even moreso than Roadhog)

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

General Morden posted:

photoshop of sf5 ken's face on tracer

wait what

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Have a chance for this to happen when you destroy her teleporter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTU8WbTbZMI&t=40s

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I want there to be a weekly brawl where you play as Mei and reenact the boss battle against Fatman from Metal Gear Solid 2. Lucio skates around on a rooftop while planting bombs and you have to freeze them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Winston desperately needs a Blanka skin

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

torb

hes gross

Doesn't have enough of a bubble butt for you, huh?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I got trolled with my first Legendary skin: Symmetra's Viskar skin. Of all the characters, her Legendary skins are the most hit-or-miss. Viskar/Architect are worse than the default. Goddess/Devi are among the best.

But I did end up getting Winston's Undersea skin the other day, which was nice. I don't play him either, but at least it looks cool.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
tracer's ult opens a rift in space-time where her jet falls through time and crashes on the match, killing everyone or trapping them in space time

Slowpoke! posted:

Viskar/Architect are worse than the default. Goddess/Devi are among the best.

smh

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Slowpoke! posted:

I got trolled with my first Legendary skin: Symmetra's Viskar skin. Of all the characters, her Legendary skins are the most hit-or-miss. Viskar/Architect are worse than the default. Goddess/Devi are among the best.

But I did end up getting Winston's Undersea skin the other day, which was nice. I don't play him either, but at least it looks cool.

her scientist skins are actually much better than her default you will find

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Verranicus posted:

First of all: I want to make it clear that I am not offended. I myself am a high-functioning autistic, and I know that sometimes it takes a while for people who meet me to recognize my own psychological differentiation.

I am, however, confused.

Various online sources have suggested that Symmetra is supposedly on the autistic spectrum, and while I haven't seen the official stance myself I do recall reading that apparently some Blizzard employee tweeted affirmative. That said, none of Symmetra's characterization thus far seems to indicate her being on the spectrum--maybe being OCD, and seeing herself as a hero with high standards, but nothing that I would see as familiar in either myself or the other members of the spectrum I have met. I would describe my own experience with autism as "Body language is a foreign language;" I did take many psychology and theatre classes to learn how people emoted, but to this day there are so many things I miss and I'm honestly more comfortable when communication is limited to text or voice, rather than legit face to face. Symmetra... does not seem to have anything quite like this in her character, although there isn't anything that says she isn't autistic either.

To that end, I'm going to list a few possible ways to demonstrate her autism below. I recognize that I am not a developer, and that the developers can choose to ignore my choices, and that the implementation of any of these might have come about independently; these are to be honest reflections on my own experiences and only meant to explain what I mean.

Being sarcasm blind is kind of a staple of autism; we are aware it exists, but a lot of the subtle tells we give and receive are lost in translation. Voice lines where Symmetra clarifies "I was being sarcastic," or awkwardly checks "That was sarcasm, right?" might be an easy way to emphasize the hard time she has reading others.

Symmetra might react well to being called fit or graceful, as she is a dancer. However, being called beautiful or pretty would result in confusion, irritation, or just ignoring the comment; unless she is explicitly trying to look good, being told she looks good is as irrelevant as being told her dress is blue.

Because of our lack of body language comprehension, autistic people tend to avoid eye contact as the face is a very complex and subtle thing that can overwhelm us while we try to interpret it. It would not surprise me if Symmetra constantly wore her visor so she could have a filter while she looked people 'in the eye'; any time she is without it might be a time where she refuses to meet people's gaze, although she might not realize it.

Speaking of face contact, Symmetra might find socializing with Omnics easier because of their lack of face. In fact, she might find Bastion easier to be comfortable around then Zenyatta; the lack of words and very precise body language makes for a very clear emotional projection, so she wouldn't feel as awkward as trying to guess what others are feeling (or mentally trying to dissect Zenyatta's neck every time she looks at him).

As to the visor, it might be neat to have another architech put it on and comment on how strangely the data feeds are organized; autistic people don't learn the 'normal' way of thinking as easily as others, because of our lack of body language comprehension leading to not realizing that this or that suggestion is considered important. It would also be amusing to see Symmetra become offended at the architech's confusion, as to her the data feeds are graceful and orderly.

Symmetra might drop in and out of conversations without warning, as most autistic people don't quite grasp the concept of small talk; why talk when it's not relevant, and why keep silent when it is? She could also be annoyed if, for example, Billy Joe Johnson says "OH MY GOSH THE FESTIVAL IS FRIDAY!" if he had asked her to go to the festival on friday a few days ago, because she might see it as repeating something she knows.

Many autistic people have little gestures they do, generally as a way to move their thoughts along; it wouldn't surprise me if Symmetra played with her light sculptures or did some minor dance moves while she walked (in non combat scenarios). She might awkwardly stop if she notices anyone watching her, since it's sort of exposing her mind and that's private; admittedly, that might be more artistic then autistic, the whole "don't show your work while unfinished," but I've had that experience myself.

Symmetra being called autistic while demonstrating no signs of autism that I can recognize is more... annoying then offensive to me. I don't use my autism to excuse my actions, but I have heard of plenty of people who are jerks and justify it by saying "I'm autistic!" even if they really aren't. Symmetra does not seem to do that--she doesn't let autism define her--but at the same time I would have thought it would influence her to some degree.

That said, I do like her character, both storywise and gameplaywise. She might be offended at how I play her--placing turrets in chaotically random positions instead of anything orderly--but in the end I think she's a very reasonable and remarkable part of the Overwatch cast.

source the quote

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i really don't like the goddess/devi skins. she ain't no Kali.

the architech ones aren't bad, but i like her white/gold Utopaea skin the most. so shiny!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got the punk Tracer skin yesterday and feel obligated to use it even though I don't really like it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm the same way with the mercy devil skin I got. I actually hate all the legendary mercy skins. i'll probably buy the cobalt epic one soon because im tired of the stupid devil tail

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I got the punk Tracer skin yesterday and feel obligated to use it even though I don't really like it

it looks like she skinned the Crystal Gems and is wearing their hides

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

source the quote

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745004538

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Help Im Alive posted:

tracer cant hack it with zarya's color scheme :smugbert:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I really wish I could turn off the pop up tips after I die. They feel more like sarcasm than helpful hints.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mithross posted:

I really wish I could turn off the pop up tips after I die. They feel more like sarcasm than helpful hints.

they go away if you turn off the kill cam in gameplay options.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mei is best

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Countblanc posted:

i'm the same way with the mercy devil skin I got. I actually hate all the legendary mercy skins. i'll probably buy the cobalt epic one soon because im tired of the stupid devil tail

:agreed:

I wish they would make a red recolour of the Cobalt skin though, i think that would look good with the material look of the Cobalt skin.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

An arrow to the torso is just as bad, working as intended.

A bullet to the chest isn't generally something you can just walk off either.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I really hate playing Roadhog, because most of his skins are pretty ugly, the default included. The Maori/Polynesian one is, at the very least, mondo expensive, and I still haven't cracked like 500G yet.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lastgirl posted:

tracer cant hack it with zarya's color scheme :smugbert:

zarya just wants the jacket.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Verranicus posted:

I am, however, confused.

Same

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Turning off kill cam seems like the way to go. You benefit more from getting some intel while you're waiting to respawn.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Attacked Hollywood against a team with 3 Bastions, Reinhardt, Lucio, and whatever else. Lucio and the random whatever guy were profusely apologizing because they wanted no part in it. But there wasn't much to apologize for other than it being the most boring attacking stomp I've ever been on. Instead of "whoo hoo I'm the king of the world" it was just a 5 minute game of wack a mole with 76.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Zorodius posted:

Turning off kill cam seems like the way to go. You benefit more from getting some intel while you're waiting to respawn.

You can just click through it to get to the other spectator mode. Probably a good idea to know where that widowmaker shot you from, first.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
The thing I dislike about kill cam is that it shows you the objective status from the killer's point of view at the time that the kill happened.

Like I might need to change to Tracer or something to rush the objective but the kill cam doesn't let me know what's going on in the UI at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

What are the characters you find yourself not playing at all?

Junkrat, because I was terrible with the Demoman and I doubt I've gotten better since then.

Symmetra, because if I'm gonna play turrets I'll go Torb and if I want to support I'll go Lucio/Mercy.

Hanzo, Widow, Genji, Tracer, Zenyatta and any other future characters that absolutely demand fast reaction times and/or high accuracy.

And Roadhog, because his aesthetic is really unappealing to me.