Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

If I wasn't specced as a killer pyromancer, my victory against Nameless King wouldn't have come so quickly. It took many tries (20 - 30) to defeat him but if I fought him as my halberd character then I can only imagine I wouldn't have been able to solo it.

The good news is I was able to defeat Soul Of Cinder in one go, but I knew I wasn't going to have too much trouble with him after vanquishing the Twin Princes.

When the DLC inevitably comes around I'll pick up my halberd character again. Although my pyromancer is a far more powerful of a character, my heart is in the halberd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Krinkle posted:

I did that. I respecced to a 99 luck build put on the gold serpent ring +1 and the mimic hat and popped about a thousand rusted coins. It took me 24 hours. Literally 24 hours. Of my life. I was just wondering if I could play the game as intended, yet.
No Crystal Rapier? With that, the gold serpent, the mimic hat, and a bunch of coins I had all of the concords I needed within 4 hours. No way should it take 24!

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
The rapier's only going to add another 50 item find. Sometimes you just get screwed by the RNG and there's nothing you can really do about it, except for quitting. I had the full setup, except luck (since my guy's a low level estus twink) and after I divided the total number of souls I got per kill, it ended up being an estimated 933 knights, at roughly a 3% drop rate after I had 360 item find. :shrug:

Edit: The very next day, the family sharing trick came out. I wasn't happy.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 3, 2016

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So thanks to ECEC, I have my ring achievement. We also learned you cannot drop covenant items: dregs, ears, tongues, etc.

He dropped them, but I couldn't see them or pick them up. Guess my sorcery/miracle achievements will have to wait until something hopefully fixes either covenants or adjusts item drop rates for enemies which drop covenant items.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Akuma posted:

No Crystal Rapier? With that, the gold serpent, the mimic hat, and a bunch of coins I had all of the concords I needed within 4 hours. No way should it take 24!

I did all that stuff and it still took over 12 hours to get 24 concords.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Akuma posted:

Yes, the rapier too. The only thing I didn't do was go to NG++ and get the covetous ring ++. I just had the + version. It took literally three days of working those steps like a goddamn job to do.

The bizarre thing? The loving bizarre thing? they only ever came in pairs. like 3/4ths of these ears came from killing those two knights and they both dropped one in a single pass. Like there was a minute window in the universe where ears could drop and they did and then the window closed and it was back to hours of nope, nope, nope.

This family sharing thing is insanely frustrating to me. This is fixable but they didn't notice or care and they still won't. Holy poo poo. I basically played the game while unfairly flagged as a cheater who doesn't deserve multiplayer only my re-connection item didn't work. The same workaround that allows people to glitch out other people's games all goddamn day on a stream and then presto chango ban is gone is what is required for just wanting to play the game in the first place. Unbelievable.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what's the suggested level of vitality for fashion souls? 10, 15, 20?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

depends more on the build's weapon of choice since anything bigger than a straightsword gets 10 weight units tacked on

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

double nine posted:

what's the suggested level of vitality for fashion souls? 10, 15, 20?

exactly enough to wear what you want at the % you want.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

look at this fashion peasant

I bet you go out in the exact same thing you wore last invasion :jerkbag:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

Well, whenever they alt-f4 they're actually incrementing an invisible counter that will eventually result in them getting temporarily banned from online. Small blessings :v:

Is there any proof on this? I've only seen devs punish people quitting with a mere loss (in sports games) or just a skill rating decrease.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Is there any proof on this? I've only seen devs punish people quitting with a mere loss (in sports games) or just a skill rating decrease.

Take it for what you will, but on my first char I ran into the bug that crashed the game when loading in near certain bonfires. I had so many crashes from being summoned near them, that I eventually had to use the way of the white ring.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Yes, and it was in DS2 as well. You can restore your ability to connect to others' worlds with that way of the white thing should that happen.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Guillermus posted:

There's two types of online play bans, as far as I know. The slap-on-the-wrist version for Alt-F4ing out too often, which if I recall correctly only locks you out of being able to summon phantoms. You can still be invaded, and are still on the normal online servers. You have to use up your only Way of White Circlet to go back to normal, and I think you have to wait some unspecified amount of time before another circlet will spawn in your world to regain it.

The bad one is the softban, where you're permanently isolated on a cheaters-only server. You get that one if the game warns you that invalid data is detected (whether it was your fault or not). That's why the guy going around, trying to corrupt people's data in a way to make his victims look like cheaters was such a big deal, even though a bunch of those ended up getting overturned. As far as I know, nobody had ever gotten unbanned before in either 2 or 3 so nobody expected From to actually do it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Genocyber posted:

Yes, and it was in DS2 as well. You can restore your ability to connect to others' worlds with that way of the white thing should that happen.

I think so too, but I can't remember if that was ever confirmed by the devs themselves. It's just the consensus that's it works. Which I suppose is the way most things in Dark Souls work...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

hard counter posted:

depends more on the build's weapon of choice since anything bigger than a straightsword gets 10 weight units tacked on

It's only maybe 5 units for some of the lucky ones!

I still want to know how the Glaive can be significantly heavier than the BK Glaive, which looks like it's made out of solid metal and has a larger head.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Is there any special NG+ content?

I finally got around to beating the game and haven't been following the thread to avoid spoilers. Loved it but also thought it was pretty loving hard, felt like I was always dying in two hits throughout the whole game. Looking forward to beating it again in 10% of the time and wikiing all the poo poo I missed.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

NG+ and NG++ have +1 and +2 rings, but that's all that's new.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gaggins posted:

Is there any special NG+ content?

I finally got around to beating the game and haven't been following the thread to avoid spoilers. Loved it but also thought it was pretty loving hard, felt like I was always dying in two hits throughout the whole game. Looking forward to beating it again in 10% of the time and wikiing all the poo poo I missed.

Rings. In ng+ and ++ there are new rings

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Friendly Humour posted:

I think so too, but I can't remember if that was ever confirmed by the devs themselves. It's just the consensus that's it works. Which I suppose is the way most things in Dark Souls work...

No, it straight up tells you that. If you disconnect enough times you get a message saying you can't connect to others' worlds because of that, and to use the item to restore your ability to do so, in DS2 at least. I'm not talking about soft banning which is a separate thing where you're relegated to a separate pool of just hackers to connect to.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any particular strategies for fighting the Outrider Knights? I can't get the hang and always die a couple of times to every single one of them.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mystic Stylez posted:

Any particular strategies for fighting the Outrider Knights? I can't get the hang and always die a couple of times to every single one of them.

Strafe right. They've got overly aggressive and long combos so you can sneak behind them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You can skip the very first one, tag the Road of Sacrifice bonfire and toss firebombs at it through the door which makes it hard leash.

In general they punish defensive play and a few good rolls and 3-4 straight sword hits will chew them up more quickly than shielding for safe and cautious strikes.

Written by a guy with about 7 alts.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Outrider knights work the same way as blood starved beasts from Bloodborne. They're mostly low to the ground and hard to read but like to rear up and/or charge forward when they attack, so pick an arm, dodge under it when it comes towards you, and hit them in the side while they flail around behind you. Don't bother blocking them, it builds frostbite and they do a shitton of stamina damage anyway.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Mystic Stylez posted:

https://fat.gfycat.com/GlamorousUniqueAmurstarfish.mp4

Have it follow you up to the ledge where that guy was throwing lloyd's at you, then make it fall off, then circle back and open all the chests while it limps back to you - then, lead it into dragon fire

git gud

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Krinkle posted:

The bizarre thing? The loving bizarre thing? they only ever came in pairs. like 3/4ths of these ears came from killing those two knights and they both dropped one in a single pass. Like there was a minute window in the universe where ears could drop and they did and then the window closed and it was back to hours of nope, nope, nope.

It isn't just you. I had two of those ears drop when I started that grind, and it took me a whole four hours before seeing one and then the other, like they're carrying around two halves of a cadaverous bff necklace. In all likelihood I would have clocked in somewhere far past 20 hours of farming had I not been lucky enough to get summoned into a killing spree at Crucifixion Woods at some point during my Ghru farming session.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cyberventurer posted:

There's two types of online play bans, as far as I know. The slap-on-the-wrist version for Alt-F4ing out too often, which if I recall correctly only locks you out of being able to summon phantoms. You can still be invaded, and are still on the normal online servers. You have to use up your only Way of White Circlet to go back to normal, and I think you have to wait some unspecified amount of time before another circlet will spawn in your world to regain it.

The bad one is the softban, where you're permanently isolated on a cheaters-only server. You get that one if the game warns you that invalid data is detected (whether it was your fault or not). That's why the guy going around, trying to corrupt people's data in a way to make his victims look like cheaters was such a big deal, even though a bunch of those ended up getting overturned. As far as I know, nobody had ever gotten unbanned before in either 2 or 3 so nobody expected From to actually do it.

Oh then that's what the circlet was for. I always wondered if it was when you had issues summoning people as a tool to reconnect to their servers or something but then I never was able to use on two chars.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Wait. Am I just dumb or can you not parry Dragon Tooth's two handed attacks? I found a Havel dude at Archdragon peak and tried killing him. The one-handed attacks I can parry just fine (just like in DS1!) but I haven't managed to parry a single two handed attack yet.

Smol fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 4, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i believe for great hammers you can parry one-handed r1s and r2 but no two-handed attacks

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
I think you can parry the 2h rolling and running attacks.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
What was the name of the playthrough with vaati on youtube where the guy makes a horrible looking character and trolls him the entire time? I can never seem to find it and it's not linked from vaati channel.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
HOLY gently caress IT HAPPENED

Finally got summoned as a bluebro on PS4, so whatever they did seemed to help?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

HOLY gently caress IT HAPPENED

Finally got summoned as a bluebro on PS4, so whatever they did seemed to help?

Enjoy spawning right next to all the enemies!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I've gotten pinged like five times as a blue.

4 of those, I got a "failure to connect" and never successfully joined the game. :smith:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Digirat posted:

Enjoy spawning right next to all the enemies!
I've got lots of practice as a mad phantom :v:

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Cyberventurer posted:

The rapier's only going to add another 50 item find. Sometimes you just get screwed by the RNG and there's nothing you can really do about it, except for quitting. I had the full setup, except luck (since my guy's a low level estus twink) and after I divided the total number of souls I got per kill, it ended up being an estimated 933 knights, at roughly a 3% drop rate after I had 360 item find. :shrug:

Edit: The very next day, the family sharing trick came out. I wasn't happy.

Family sharing trick?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Check out https://www.twitch.tv/distortion2 right now for a ridiculous new speedrun strat.

Also unrelated: Quickstep is so OP.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

What was the name of the playthrough with vaati on youtube where the guy makes a horrible looking character and trolls him the entire time? I can never seem to find it and it's not linked from vaati channel.

Edward Emberpants, it's done by Criken.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Puntification posted:

Edward Emberpants, it's done by Criken.

Thanks, found it too. Wasn't familiar with the channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Apparition posted:

Family sharing trick?

It's a weird thing you have to do where you set up family sharing for a spare Steam account, turn on the game and then trick it into thinking you're loading your main save file instead of it spitting out an error message. There's some sort of funky prioritization going on when it comes to getting summoned as a blue sentinel or darkmoon that makes some people get all of the action while everyone else gets left with nothing. If you google for "dark souls 3 family sharing trick" you'll find it.

:siren: But people on Reddit are reporting that they're finally getting summons on their normal accounts so here's hoping the developers fixed it during the maintenance yesterday.

Edit: Only been 10 minutes but still nothing so far. I hope it's not a false alarm. :(

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 4, 2016