Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zas posted:

the military is already saying they're not going to cooperate with trump. and hell that was before all the 'blowing up nato' stuff.

I'm not saying he's not dangerous, I'm not saying he won't do a huge amount of harm. After all, Bush was dangerous, and Bush did a huge amount of harm.

and bush had a huge amount of buy-in from his own party. most republicans are going to pull the lever for trump with the same enthusiasm as they would clean up dog turds without gloves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Hahahaha good loving lord

https://twitter.com/benjysarlin/status/738828233014136836

Someone should check on Paul Ryan and take his shoelaces away for safekeeping.

realistically how long can this go on? the judge isn't going to back down, and trump might walk things back but he isn't giving any signs of doing so.

this is a good example of what I'm talking about btw, powerful gov executives absolutely do not act like this.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I wonder what it's like in Trump HQ. Is Manafort delusional enough to think the constant attacks on Curiel are going to help? Or does his experience as a lackey to strongmen tell him to stay quiet and hope he can get away with as much money as he can?

After all, if he opposed Trump on something he obviously cares very passionately about, he'd be out on his ear immediately.

I was worried that Curiel might want to wash his hands of this nonsense by withdrawing from the trial, but apparently he's had legit death threats from Mexican drug cartels so this must be nothing to him.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Zas posted:

realistically how long can this go on? the judge isn't going to back down, and trump might walk things back but he isn't giving any signs of doing so.

this is a good example of what I'm talking about btw, powerful gov executives absolutely do not act like this.

Trump acting like a pathetic, spoiled brat who wanted green candy but got red? That'll last until Fox calls it for Hillary.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zas posted:

realistically how long can this go on?

As long as Trump wants it to. I don't think that he listens to anyone in his organization, so there isn't anyone who can tell him to shut his fat loving gob.

Personally, I'm happy to let him jabber like an incontinent baboon about Mexicans for as long as he can take a breath. At this point he's turning off anyone who isn't a complete loving yahoo, and the yahoos are all voting for him anyway.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm particularly irritated by PDT because he mostly posts to express what I feel is the most toxic idea in American politics, that all opinions are equal regardless of the level of information that shaped them. Just like that truly excellent Baekdal article someone posted said, misinformation is more intractable than mere ignorance because the misinformed use all contradictory evidence as proof that they alone have the real truth, and misinformation is borne in treating opinion like fact.

PDT can't see why minorities might know more about the threat of racism than he does as a white man, why disease transmission researchers might know more about food safety than he does as a layman, or why knowing more should ever matter in the first place. Appealing ideas, "common sense," comforting simplicity all become bedrock fact because the more an idea is challenged the tighter the misinformed will cling to it.

It would be nicer to live in a world where gut instinct and folksy wisdom hit the bullseye on the first shot every time. It's hard living in a world where the truth is hard to find, hard to understand, sometimes never completely knowable. It's so much easier to always go with whatever you come up with off the top of your head, and decide that everybody who disagrees with you has an ulterior motive.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think what really warms my heart is that Hillary hasn't even started to attack Trump in earnest.

After the democrat nominee clicncher that's when poo poo will get real.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

SSNeoman posted:

I think what really warms my heart is that Hillary hasn't even started to attack Trump in earnest.

How much harder do you think she can go with these attacks? I'm curious.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
People who think Trump would be ineffective and useless in the white house, do you think he would refuse to sign every horrible poo poo bill the republican house and senate send his way? If he wins you can assume the repubs held the senate and nuked the fillibuster on day one of the new term.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bunleigh posted:

People who think Trump would be ineffective and useless in the white house, do you think he would refuse to sign every horrible poo poo bill the republican house and senate send his way? If he wins you can assume the repubs held the senate and nuked the fillibuster on day one of the new term.

trump being a rubber stamp is one of the better outcomes imo

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

As long as Trump wants it to. I don't think that he listens to anyone in his organization, so there isn't anyone who can tell him to shut his fat loving gob.

Personally, I'm happy to let him jabber like an incontinent baboon about Mexicans for as long as he can take a breath. At this point he's turning off anyone who isn't a complete loving yahoo, and the yahoos are all voting for him anyway.

As if on cue, a new Reuters poll just came out with a double digit Hillary lead.

Yeah I know polls are noise at this stage but :lol: Trump's really having a tough week with the veteran charity call out, the solid attack from Hillary and his utterly unchecked bigotry aimed at a presiding federal judge.

I'd love to see the looks on the faces of Ryan et al today now that it's becoming clearer who exactly they just hitched their wagons to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Antti posted:

I wonder what it's like in Trump HQ. Is Manafort delusional enough to think the constant attacks on Curiel are going to help? Or does his experience as a lackey to strongmen tell him to stay quiet and hope he can get away with as much money as he can?

After all, if he opposed Trump on something he obviously cares very passionately about, he'd be out on his ear immediately.

I was worried that Curiel might want to wash his hands of this nonsense by withdrawing from the trial, but apparently he's had legit death threats from Mexican drug cartels so this must be nothing to him.

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/738835979478302722

Also the theme to Curb is constantly playing in their heads.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
I think that Clinton will run a boring John Kerry tier campaign and pay lip service to progressive values while giving wall Street execs seductive glances, oh wait I just described her career lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Zas posted:

the military is already saying they're not going to cooperate with trump.

Seriously? That could be pretty loving troubling, if the military is saying that they'll ignore the orders of the elected Commander in Chief. Unless it's a very specific, "we won't obey orders that violate the constitution" sort of thing. But even so, the military should not be commenting on civilian elections.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

Seriously? That could be pretty loving troubling, if the military is saying that they'll ignore the orders of the elected Commander in Chief. Unless it's a very specific, "we won't obey orders that violate the constitution" sort of thing. But even so, the military should not be commenting on civilian elections.

They're Americans too, aren't they?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Xanderkish posted:

How much harder do you think she can go with these attacks? I'm curious.

She could start digging into things that he's said before the last 6 months or so. The man is a veritable gold mine of terrible opinions, and doesn't exactly have a history of keeping them to himself. What would be a career-ending gaffe for your average politician is just another tweet to Trump.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

boom boom boom posted:

it wasn't the military who said that, it was a retired general who pointed out that the military is not required to obey illegal orders

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

if yesterday wasn't earnest then I guess I don't know poo poo. bring on the real.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

That was a retired general, and he was talking about things like torturing people or being ordered to shoot a terrorist's mom or other obvious warcrimes.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it wasn't the military who said that, it was a retired general who pointed out that the military is not required to obey illegal orders

there are reports of active duty people saying similar things off the record i'm pretty sure, but yeah I didn't mean to make it sound like a straight up rebellion or anything. and as expected, actual enlisted soldiers seem to prefer trump to clinton.

my point was more, to use one example, Trump wants to instigate this crazy new torture program and kill the families of terrorists. the W administration had to go through a million back channels and use clever rebranding to do their torture operation because the actual military leadership was horrified by it. Trump, by starting his schtick in this manner, is giving the game away and virtually guaranteeing it won't come to pass.

of course I'll feel like a stooge if it does

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 3, 2016

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zas posted:

of course I'll feel like a stooge if it does

If Trump actually wins I'm going to give up on following politics and concentrate on other hobbies. Guy would be out in 4, but I just couldn't handle the aggravation of watching him.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Trump today in Redding, CA:

quote:

There's nobody with a better temperament than me. I have the greatest temperament there is. My temperament is totally controlled, so beautiful."

I can't even.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Senf posted:

Trump today in Redding, CA:

I can't even.

He has no comeback to these attacks on him. One speech directed at him by a competent politician and he's already at a loss for words. He's not going to be able to handle months of concentrated attacks by Hillary, Obama and the combined weight of the most powerful political machine on earth. He psychologically can't deal with it.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yes and like i said, how is this any different from 2008? one racially motivated mass shooting in a tide of mass shootings isn't really compelling evidence of a burgeoning rahowa

Domestic terrorism has been on the rise for a while now. Here's a Mother Jones article that pulls info from a bunch of group that track it. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/06/right-wing-extremism-explainer-charleston-mass-shooting-terrorism You could also check out SPLC's Lone Wolf report, though that's more about who is perpetrating terrorism then overall numbers.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The best thing about Trump's attack on the judge is that you don't even need to come up with a slippery slope argument about Trump, his PR flak Bill O'Reilly started that poo poo before Trump with women.

In cased you guys missed it, a week or two ago O'Reilly actually argued that feminist journalists couldn't AND shouldn't report on Trump because they are bias, that they don't agree with Trump's misogyny.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

zoux posted:

Tapper put out a clip from that interview, which will run Sunday, and the words really don't capture it.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 3, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, there's a state story right now about how Greg Abbott led a $5.4 million investigation into Trump U in Texas and then he spiked it pretty suddenly. Later, people notice that right after that, Trump donated 35k to Abbott's campaign. It's been getting a little bit of traction, but most people were like, probably just a coincidence. Abbott rolls his eyes says, oh please, this is just media bullshit.

Then this happened.
https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/738843090169921536

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

hmm...

https://vine.co/v/iYnhulOFdYK

ed: sorry wrong thread

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 3, 2016

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Aww, Trump said he's the greatest :blush:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/738840266900185088

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

So, there's a state story right now about how Greg Abbott led a $5.4 million investigation into Trump U in Texas and then he spiked it pretty suddenly. Later, people notice that right after that, Trump donated 35k to Abbott's campaign. It's been getting a little bit of traction, but most people were like, probably just a coincidence. Abbott rolls his eyes says, oh please, this is just media bullshit.

Then this happened.
https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/738843090169921536

This sounds like what should be a big deal that ends up with nothing happening since there's basically no way to prove bribery.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

This sounds like what should be a big deal that ends up with nothing happening since there's basically no way to prove bribery.

Well, they just laser focused the eyes of every reporter in Texas on the issue, so I guess we'll see.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Well, they just laser focused the eyes of every reporter in Texas on the issue, so I guess we'll see.

SCOTUS already said bribery doesn't exist, so nothing will come of it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

Yeah let's hope but I have no faith in our judicial system actually making any corruption charges on someone of note actually stick. :(

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

haha Paul Ryan is disavowing Trump talking about the judge.

Nice wagon you hitched yourself to their Paulie.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

lol Oh my God

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Link, please! :)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Xanderkish posted:

Link, please! :)

Literally the main headline on nbcnews.com

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And only a day after he quietly endorsed him in a op-ed in some paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Reuters poll UI is pretty neat, you can filter it to only likely, registered voters:

• Locked thread