Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

DrProsek posted:

This guy definitely should have done the "Green LanternS!" bit more, it wasn't irritating enough.

(Not surprised to hear Percy's overly melodramatic and his quipping doesn't work. I thought he'd be one of the casualties of the DC-You -> Rebirth changeover and was surprised DC left him on GA so he can keep making the mistakes he was making earlier)

X-O posted:

His Green Arrow issue was better than Tom King's Batman, so I don't really see anything wrong.

I'd like to revise this opinion/prediction I had earlier;

I thought Percy's DC-You stuff was pretty bad and it got off to a rough start; the first arc was a story that took itself way too seriously about Nazis building murderdrones for the police, and ended on another melodramatic story about Ollie becoming a werewolf.

Green Arrow: Rebirth on the other hand was great. It didn't feel like it took itself too seriously at all, gave Ollie his SJW/richest liberalest hero thing back, art was great, and it definitely left me wanting to read the ongoing series. Only complaint is that it feels a bit weird that Ollie would want to date a woman who just said what she did about Roy but eh, if Ollie and Dinah hooking back up again is going to happen, I'm not going to complain the comic doesn't take it slow enough.

My new least favorite Rebirth book is Green Lanterns. Writing's fine (other than way too wordy and a nonzero amount of Hal Jordan) but the art is awful. The style's not great, and Jessica seems like she's either popping out her hips or doing stretches in every page she's in for some reason. I'm willing to give the ongoing series artists a chance but that's a pretty bad first impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Dinah was a total jerk for what felt like no reason in that issue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

She's still the pre-Rebirth Dinah, she's got baggage pre-52 Dinah doesn't.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is Roy's heroin addiction carried over into 52? I thought that was weird Dinah mentioned it, considering how young everyone is supposed to be.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kingtheninja posted:

Is Roy's heroin addiction carried over into 52? I thought that was weird Dinah mentioned it, considering how young everyone is supposed to be.

A subtle retcon. In the N52 Roy was just an alcoholic.

They also retconned the period where he was Speedy.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

greatn posted:

Yeah, I see what Percy was going for, but it felt really weird for Dinah to be criticizing Ollie nonstop, hitting pretty low with that line about Roy, and then suddenly the issue ends with them liking each other. I guess seeing Ollie save that girl really changed her mind about him, but that didn't really have anything to do with any of her criticisms of Ollie.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I'm surprisingly excited about Green Arrow again after that Rebirth #1. Killer art.

And I guess I'm one of the few people that totally digs Duke's new costume. The name Lark is dumb though. And the Batman issue was really disappointing and disjointed.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Bullbar posted:

I'm surprisingly excited about Green Arrow again after that Rebirth #1. Killer art.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So are Simon and Jessica both going to be in the JLA proper or will the JLA just not have a GL this time around? Or will they split between the two Justice Leagues?

Also I hope Kyle is around in one book or another.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bryan Hitch's JLA has been cancelled because of delays. That includes the last four issues and the annual. Surely nobody saw this coming from a Bryan Hitch comic.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

X-O posted:

Bryan Hitch's JLA has been cancelled because of delays. That includes the last four issues and the annual. Surely nobody saw this coming from a Bryan Hitch comic.

I was only even vaguely aware that there was another core Justice League comic, apart from Justice League and Justice League of America: The Second Stringers. What was even different or special about it?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

JoshTheStampede posted:

I was only even vaguely aware that there was another core Justice League comic, apart from Justice League and Justice League of America: The Second Stringers. What was even different or special about it?

Well, for starters, it wasn't very good.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

That sucks for anyone who was buying it.

But they also knew what they were getting into.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Codependent Poster posted:

That sucks for anyone who was buying it.

But they also knew what they were getting into.

I know. That always happens with Hitch's stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Well that was implied with the name Bryan Hitch.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Isn't Hitch doing the Rebirth JLA too?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I just saw a TV advert for Rebirth. That's a new one.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

They asked what was different about it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Isn't Hitch doing the Rebirth JLA too?

He's just writing it, so it'll only be weeks late and bad instead of months late and bad.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, I'm still working my way through the New 52 and someone mentioned to me DC was doing yet another relaunch after the one they did after the New 52? Is this true? Are they restarting the titles all over again?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

So, I'm still working my way through the New 52 and someone mentioned to me DC was doing yet another relaunch after the one they did after the New 52? Is this true? Are they restarting the titles all over again?

Yes, it's called Rebirth and it assumes that the Nu52 Status Quo is actually the result of outside corruption and is using that to bring back some of the things they removed from the pre-flashpoint continuity. Not every book is starting over but they're basically beerslamming the two continuities.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, it's called Rebirth and it assumes that the Nu52 Status Quo is actually the result of outside corruption and is using that to bring back some of the things they removed from the pre-flashpoint continuity. Not every book is starting over but they're basically beerslamming the two continuities.

Okay, second question. I've been using a guide to read the Nu-52 in order and however many people might yell at me for being crazy I enjoy it, is there a similar sort of chronological guide for the stuff that came after the Nu-52 up to this new relaunch?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Verranicus posted:

Okay, second question. I've been using a guide to read the Nu-52 in order and however many people might yell at me for being crazy I enjoy it, is there a similar sort of chronological guide for the stuff that came after the Nu-52 up to this new relaunch?

Yes: Rebirth #1. That's what came after the New 52. Then all the books start over.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

He's just writing it, so it'll only be weeks late and bad instead of months late and bad.

Rebirth JLA hasn't had a creative team announced. Hitch is doing JL.

Also, I know all the headlines say cancelled, but the end of N52 JLA is getting resolicited. Hitch said at least two of the last five issues have been drawn.

e: Tweets in here http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/06/03/bryan-hitchs-justice-league-of-america-series-cancelled-for-now/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 4, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Rebirth JLA hasn't had a creative team announced. Hitch is doing JL.

Also, I know all the headlines say cancelled, but the end of N52 JLA is getting resolicited. Hitch said at least two of the last five issues have been drawn.

Didn't he also claim to be months ahead when he started and then three issues in they needed a fill in?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm not saying it wasn't a mistake making it a 12 issue order like the rest of DCYou.
Probably should have started with a six issue arc just in case.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't even remember him limiting it to 12 issues. I remember laughing when he said in an interview that he had like six or seven trades worth of story planned.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

As I recall, when it was announced, DiDio was going around saying "Oh, Hitch has been working on it for two years already, it'll come out monthly, no problem." I don't think it even made it out monthly for five months before there was a fill in. It'll probably be a decent 12 issue TPB whenever it's finally finished.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

https://twitter.com/THEBRYANHITCH/status/738798212136501248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I honestly forgot JLA was a Rebirth series. I swear I read all 8 issues but looking at the covers and random pages I'm finding via Google I cannot remember any of it :geno:.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Unkempt posted:

I just saw a TV advert for Rebirth. That's a new one.

They ran a few for the New 52 as well.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DrProsek posted:

https://twitter.com/THEBRYANHITCH/status/738798212136501248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I honestly forgot JLA was a Rebirth series. I swear I read all 8 issues but looking at the covers and random pages I'm finding via Google I cannot remember any of it :geno:.

It's not a Rebirth series. It's still on it's arc set squarely in the past now, with N52 Supes and Hal Jordan as the GL. That's what's not so great about it bleeding over.
JLA rebirth got announced without a creative team or date, presumably because they had no idea when they could use the title again.

e: It would be funny if they delayed it to insert Rebirth costumes and new Green Lanterns.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 4, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's not a Rebirth series. It's still on it's arc set squarely in the past now, with N52 Supes and Hal Jordan as the GL. That's what's not so great about it bleeding over.
JLA rebirth got announced without a creative team or date, presumably because they had no idea when they could just the title again.

:doh:

I meant I forgot JLA was a DC-You series :v:.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I remember it also being up in the air whether it was actually part of the continuity or if it was just Hitch's little playground. But apparently it was because it's referenced as being part of what messed up New 52 Superman before he died.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Sounds like they should cancel it and kick Hitch to the curb.

Good to know that title can be skipped.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Good to know that title can be skipped.

It's hopelessly delayed, but I really don't mind the story. It wouldn't be a bad thing to collect at the end.

They definitely should have found someone more interesting to put on Rebirth Justice League, but I don't think it bodes totally ill for him as a writer. I'm more annoyed about Tony S Daniel getting the gig.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 4, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Verranicus posted:

Everything from 2011 to last week is part of the New52. Rebirth stuff starts at #1 again but it's not a continuity reboot. Stuff that happened still happened.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Stuff that happened still happened.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I'm sure there will be stuff all over the place the supports and contradicts this.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

X-O posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I'm sure there will be stuff all over the place the supports and contradicts this.

Sure but I mean in general. It's assumed everything is what it was until we're told otherwise, as opposed to Flashpoint which was a full clean slate reboot.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

JoshTheStampede posted:

Sure but I mean in general. It's assumed everything is what it was until we're told otherwise, as opposed to Flashpoint which was a full clean slate reboot.
Except for all the places where it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Birds of Prey preview (just inked pages)
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/batgirl-and-the-birds-of-prey-rebirth-1-dc-comics-2016