Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
Just came back for me in NYC, was down from 5:30-8 or so. I love their pricing but a 2 1/2 hour outage on a Friday evening is a major no-no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I didn't get texts for a while but they started coming in a few minutes ago

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Down in SF

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Down in Albuquerque for a few hours now. Hoping it's coming back up nationwide and not just in nyc.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Glad this is the weekend. This would cripple me during the week for my company. This has me considering jumping ship now as I'm way more reliant on my service than before.

What other prepaid services worth considering that do not have these proxies in place that could succumb to outages like this. I think this is number three in a few years. Willing to pay a little more for reliability without going full postpaid. Would prefer AT&T or T mobile.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

you could do gophone through at&t

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Any histories of similar outages?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

TraderStav posted:

No. I switched from Cricket to GoPhone for this very reason. It's basically AT&T postpaid service. I've since moved on to T-Mobile prepaid but my wife has been on GoPhone for 2 years. No issues.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Supposedly this is a "24hr network upgrade" Now, who in there right loving mind would decide a good time to upgrade a pre-pay cell service on a friday night is beyond me.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Csixtyfour posted:

Supposedly this is a "24hr network upgrade" Now, who in there right loving mind would decide a good time to upgrade a pre-pay cell service on a friday night is beyond me.

Something else that doesn't help is this is right after a bunch of people paid their bills on the 1st, making it even more frustrating.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Csixtyfour posted:

What's the source for this, because their twitter says it's a "service issue" https://twitter.com/Cricketnation/status/738868800137891840

e: lol at the Verizon customer service guy telling the people on twitter to come switch

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Weird as all hell, both my wife and myself are connected to cricket, but my nephew, who lives with us, can't connect. Is this an outage for only select customers?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Weird as all hell, both my wife and myself are connected to cricket, but my nephew, who lives with us, can't connect. Is this an outage for only select customers?

Yes, my wife who is on the shared plan with me it's unaffected. My friend was but is back up but both his parents are out.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

this is a map of the outages some website made

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
AKA a map of the major cities in the US.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

yea it's bad

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

So you're saying crickets can get Zika now too

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My iPhone SE has been real hit or miss but LTE is back now after being on 4G for hours. My family has had no service for quite a while and they're standing right next to me. Weird poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mine's back too - Moto X Pure 2015

I would love to see a postmortem discussing what broke and how they fixed it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Most major network outages are the result of some dipshit slicing a major fiber with a backhoe but I doubt Cricket/ATT will ever actually fess up as to what happened.

Also, still down. Moto X Pure 2015 :suicide:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I work for an unrelated land line phone company, and it's so bad we received an email letting us know about because of how many calls we are getting from people unable to call Cricket support.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

At the risk of flooding with status reports I'm back up this morning in Detroit.

What's the best way to switch to GoPhone? They sell sims at any stores? How about AT&T stores or do they mark them up something awful?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

TraderStav posted:

At the risk of flooding with status reports I'm back up this morning in Detroit.

What's the best way to switch to GoPhone? They sell sims at any stores? How about AT&T stores or do they mark them up something awful?

Buy a sim starter kit at Walmart, Target, or some other such store. Follow the directions inside. You'll have the opportunity to port your number at some point in the process. For me, the change over happened in less than 30 minutes even though they said it could take a day or two. You'll need your Cricket pin or other identifying info. Just google for "cricket porting pin" or something along those lines.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I had no idea there was a cricket outage yesterday. I was on wifi all day but I was still getting texts (do those still go through cellular service when on wifi?)

When I first got Cricket 2 years ago, I and a few other people were having terrible data speeds (less than 256kbps) intermittently over the course of a month or so. I was close to ditching them when it returned to normal and has been dead reliable since (I guess until yesterday that is).

I do like having unlimited high(ish) speed data for the first time ever. I just switched over to their top plan and used 7 gigabytes last week streaming HD video and listening to Play Music stations. I used to use 7GB a month. Amazing how not having data anxiety affects usage.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's back up and going for me. Got the text I sent to myself yesterday at 5:27 this morning.

If this becomes a regular thing, then yea I'm gonna bail, but a it stands it's not that big of a hassle for me personally.

No idea if the txts work by wifi or not, didn't think to try.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Texts work by wifi if you have an iPhone and use iMessage

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Or if you have your number ported to Google Voice. Calls too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's back up and going for me. Got the text I sent to myself yesterday at 5:27 this morning.

If this becomes a regular thing, then yea I'm gonna bail, but a it stands it's not that big of a hassle for me personally.

I've been with Cricket for almost two years, and this is the first time an outage like this has happened. I wouldn't really worry about it.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Their twitter account replies to complaints makes it sound like if you e-mail support you might get some kind of statement credit. Although they don't explicitly say that, and there has been no official notification. No word yet or whether it's worth the effort.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

What's the difference between the T-mobile prepaid plan for $40 and the T-mobile postpaid for $50? Other than $10?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

What's the difference between the T-mobile prepaid plan for $40 and the T-mobile postpaid for $50? Other than $10?

Postpaid can roam onto ATT towers in extended coverage areas (check the tmobile coverage map) while prepaid has no roaming at all.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TraderStav posted:

You get free Warcraft movie ticket.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Postpaid can roam onto ATT towers in extended coverage areas (check the tmobile coverage map) while prepaid has no roaming at all.

YMMV on this but in my case roaming meant voice and text only while on AT&T towers, no data at all.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
So Motorola is selling 2nd-gen Moto X's for $200 and my mom got one for her birthday. Unfortunately, she can't get Cricket support on the phone to set it up with a new nano-sim because the whole nation was calling in for statement credits because of last week's outage.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Can't you activate it online

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Conceivably yes, but Mom is new to smartphones in general, and has never even paid a bill online before Cricket. It not even a huge deal because she still primarily uses the landline.

She does love Cricket support when she can get through. They've always been super helpful.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone on Cricket having MMS issues? I haven't been able to respond to a group message since the outage on Friday on my iPhone SE.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Lblitzer posted:

Anyone on Cricket having MMS issues? I haven't been able to respond to a group message since the outage on Friday on my iPhone SE.

No problems here. Have you rebooted your phone since the outage?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Well I am out of the prepaid game. Went to T-mobile postpaid. $70/month (plus taxes/fees, will see what that works out to be) for 2 lines, 6GB each, unlimited all with the Binge On stuff. Hard to beat that. I guess I'm eligible for some stock now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

nimper posted:

No problems here. Have you rebooted your phone since the outage?

I thought I had tried that already but restarting it again worked. Thanks!