Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You literally said you were dismissing them for reasons that don't matter in that deck type. If you don't want responses, try not being wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

frgildan posted:

Reread the text on levies and yea don't think it worth running.

Levies are worth the inclusion to ensure your opponent can't Put to the Sword, Tears, or any of the Martel event tricks and a few of the Stark ones. Definitely worth running in my book. Sounds like they'll work great in BAMF.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 3, 2016

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PaybackJack posted:

Levies are worth the inclusion to ensure your opponent can't Put to the Sword, Tears, or any of the Martel event tricks and a few of the Stark ones. Definitely worth running in my book. Sounds like they'll work great in BAMF.

Thing is why not just run hand's judgement in those cases? I don't think the card is bad by any means, but I think it's one of those things that finding a slot will be difficult. It's free, but otoh you're only taking based on the number of attackers so you could end up not even taking enough to stop whatever nasty event(s) you want to prevent.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

sassassin posted:

You literally said you were dismissing them for reasons that don't matter in that deck type. If you don't want responses, try not being wrong?

I literally run a silvan deck, I know how it works. What I'm talking about is the opportunity cost of running the card versus others, and getting value out of it. For it to be worth including at all is first of all when you simply never want to travel/explore the location. Bear in mind the location has to be out for a turn to even attach the card. If that's the case, you want a character of low alternate worth to trigger it repeatedly. Sure you can bounce orophin or rumil back to hand repeatedly but you have to keep paying for them. If you don't get O Lorien then orophin is going to be loving expensive. Naith guide is half the cost of orophin and can be left out to bounce for feigned voices later. And again, ranged has value in multiplayer which is worth considering. None of this should need explaining.

Also you could try not being a dick but whatever, you're a lost cause.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

alansmithee posted:

Thing is why not just run hand's judgement in those cases?

Because you have to pay for hand's judgement. Which while not a problem with Lannister really, playing levies not only stops plays by the opponent, but gives you more gold for events for you or just having more gold to count towards dominance.

I'm not sure I would run the card myself, but I think it definitely has its place.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Single Tight Female posted:

I literally run a silvan deck, I know how it works. What I'm talking about is the opportunity cost of running the card versus others, and getting value out of it. For it to be worth including at all is first of all when you simply never want to travel/explore the location. Bear in mind the location has to be out for a turn to even attach the card. If that's the case, you want a character of low alternate worth to trigger it repeatedly. Sure you can bounce orophin or rumil back to hand repeatedly but you have to keep paying for them. If you don't get O Lorien then orophin is going to be loving expensive. Naith guide is half the cost of orophin and can be left out to bounce for feigned voices later. And again, ranged has value in multiplayer which is worth considering. None of this should need explaining.

Also you could try not being a dick but whatever, you're a lost cause.

You're the one telling me to "give it a rest" when I was only discussing game mechanics in a card game thread. Very rude.

The last quest I played was Conflict in the Carrock, which has the the titular location in play from the start, and also a bunch of locations that have annoying 'when active' clauses, so atm the card sounds very useful to me.

Rumil I don't play with because as you say he's expensive and his ability only works when played from hand (and not Tree People). Orophin though I like to play repeatedly because he has a strong ability for recovering chump blockers and the increased cost is better for Island Amid Perils, plus he makes better use out of two actions than Naith Guide with higher questing and attack + ranged. There isn't much for Celeborn to spend resources on in my deck so he tends to build a stockpile unless I get an early Song of Wisdom.

Did any of this need explaining to you? Maybe not, but this is a thread for discussing card games so don't take it so personally.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What's the LotR site that gives deck recommendations for 1 core?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the LotR site that gives deck recommendations for 1 core?

Beron's Path uses 2 good dual sphere core decks, and explains why they are build like that. Good beginner series.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Baratheon and Greyjoy spoilers.

King Balon seems worse than current Balon, his buff can only hit like 4 characters at the moment anyway. Untill they make a plot that reads 'add a king to hand' or some other kind of crazy king support I'm not gonna run him. The event is really cool, but expensive. Like wow.
Ruby of R'hlor is a repeatable seen in flames basically. I think it's good. I'm probably not going to run the birds even if they can be knighted and given horses just because I don't like the fragile Kingswood 'never lose power' deck.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Baratheon and Greyjoy spoilers.

King Balon seems worse than current Balon, his buff can only hit like 4 characters at the moment anyway. Untill they make a plot that reads 'add a king to hand' or some other kind of crazy king support I'm not gonna run him. The event is really cool, but expensive. Like wow.
Ruby of R'hlor is a repeatable seen in flames basically. I think it's good. I'm probably not going to run the birds even if they can be knighted and given horses just because I don't like the fragile Kingswood 'never lose power' deck.

That theming on Balon, though. Nailed it. Otherwise agree, Core Balon seems more useful overall. The 'Old Way' event seems solid, especially with the staple GJ characters you expect to be running. Ensure all the supporting cast has Stealth so there will be NO defenders, push through 3 unopposed challenges for a win seems reasonable.

I haven't really touched Baratheon since we only had the core set, but both their previews look good too. Are people playing into the heavy-handed "win Dominance" structure of the House as a primary strategy? I'd need to go evaluate how many cards really support it and are useful, but at a glance it seems like there's a lot of it and it might start to be a thing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Core Balon can win challenges solo and unopposed, which is of much better utility than the occasional double Renown turn, especially when Rise of the Kraken is suuuuch a high incentive to get as many unopposed challenges as possible. I played this deck yesterday and liked how amazingly dickish it is, especially when you do things like shut down Gregor or Jaime with an Imprisoned. Going against Martell later though, uh, wasn't that fun. Vengeance for Elia vs. a T1 Sneak Attack is a hell of a dick move. I don't know if I've actually won a game after that, actually.

Weapons at the Door vs. Confiscation is something I still have to think about. Weapons has the higher initiative and opens up the board for a Seastone Chair'ing, but getting Nymeria or Balon Milked is really sad.

quote:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com A Game of Thrones 2nd Edition Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (60)

Faction:
Greyjoy

Agenda: (1)
1x Banner of the Sun (Core Set)

Plot: (7)
1x Marched to the Wall (Core Set)
1x Rise of the Kraken (Taking the Black)
2x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
1x The First Snow of Winter (No Middle Ground)
1x Weapons at the Door (Wolves of the North)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)

Character: (31)
2x Aeron Damphair (Core Set)
2x Asha Greyjoy (Core Set)
3x Balon Greyjoy (Core Set)
3x Bastard Daughter (Taking the Black)
3x Drowned Men (Core Set)
2x Euron Crow’s Eye (Core Set)
3x Iron Islands Fishmonger (Core Set)
1x Maester Wendamyr (Core Set)
2x Newly-Made Lord (The King's Peace)
3x Nymeria Sand (The Road to Winterfell)
1x Obara Sand (Core Set)
3x Priest of the Drowned God (No Middle Ground)
1x The Reader (The Road to Winterfell)
2x Theon Greyjoy (Core Set)

Attachment: (5)
2x Attainted (The King's Peace)
3x Imprisoned (True Steel)

Event: (2)
2x Risen from the Sea (Core Set)

2x Great Kraken (Core Set)
3x Iron Fleet Scout (Core Set)
3x Iron Mines (Calm Over Westeros)
3x Raiding Longship (The Road to Winterfell)
3x Sea Tower (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
2x The Seastone Chair (Taking the Black)

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
That necklace is going to out the assholes in the community. God forbid someone cannot remember the name of a card but can describe what it does, or mispronounces it. I think if it sees widespread use, we'll have some negative experiences.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rusty Kettle posted:

That necklace is going to out the assholes in the community. God forbid someone cannot remember the name of a card but can describe what it does, or mispronounces it. I think if it sees widespread use, we'll have some negative experiences.

In Magic effects that require you to name a card allow you to describe it in such a way that there's only one card it could be, this is the same thing

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
As do Netrunner, Star Wars and a bunch of other games.

It is, regrettably, a great rear end in a top hat magnet, but to be frank, people who'd stick by having to name the card perfectly would already out themselves by nitpicking/exploiting all sorts of minutiae along the way. It is generally assumed sane people won't fret it too much in casual play, while it has to be strictly codified for tournament play for anti-bullshit reasons.

Kinda like remembering a lost action opportunity window before the delay had a chance to impact the game meaningfully.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Pyke, Location, 2G, Iron Islands, Loyal, Unique
Acion: Kneel Pyke and choose a character. Until the end of the phase that character gain stealth.

Captains Daughter, Character, 4G, 2STR, Ally
Reaction: After a non-loyal character enter play kneel your faction card and sacrifice Captain's Daughter to place that character on top of its owners deck.

I love Pyke, a lot. Immediate 2x or 3x in my greyjoy fealty deck. I only run one Syrio and he'd expensive but does so much work, but it's not like greyjoys lacking for miilitary icons, it's just the stealth. More stealth is good.
The daughter I think is good as well, simply because so many players in my meta [me included!] run X/Banner of the Lion. So stopping Tyrion alone is great, and you might even be able to get big in-faction characters too. Thinking about it, it mostly fucks over Llanister at least that's what comes to mind. I'll try to run 1 in my deck, but my Greyjoys are pretty poor and 4 is pretty costly. Especially if she has no icons! She has a power icon.

e: These Greyjoys are from the next chapter pack. Balon + Ours is the Old way are from the 2nd of this cycle. I think.

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 6, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looks like Put to the Torch is getting better and better.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
If only Political Disaster had 'Cannot be saved'. To be fair, it sees so little play right now I don't even bother duping my seastone chairs, just keep it in hand for intrigue.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just got The Black Riders for LOTR. I'm interested in making a hobbits themed deck; I already have Conflict at the Carrock and Journey to Rhosgobel. Any suggestions on what else should I get or on decks I can make?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Get Dead Marshes for Fast Hitch.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Amoeba102 posted:

Get Dead Marshes for Fast Hitch.

Yeah, that first mission is all about threat management, you'll want your hobbit deck to have it's best card.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
Head's up, in case you don't follow the deals thread. Lost Realm and Land of Shadow will be included in Miniature Market's sale that's going on in an hour.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Played The Thing in the Depths on Sunday. Thought we lost 2-player (although afterwards realized we had that last turn to un-gently caress the situation), then turned around and won it 3 player. Really fun quest, although it is a little fiddly. Great job capturing the forced alliance against the sea-beast!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Is it a terrible idea to just go with 1x core and each of the Saga expansions for LotR? My wife would definitely appreciate playing the book based content more than the rest, but I don't know how balanced an approach this would be.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Probably aim for AP's that have cards that boost hobbits or dwarves - specific cards like Fast Hitch for example - because you'll probably end up trying to play thematically. Mirkwood and Dwarrowdelf/KD should cover you though for most of that. Then start hunting down the Ent stuff. Maybe Gondor stuff for the end of the LOTR saga.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
As indicated, The Black Riders (Saga #1) and The Land of Shadow (Saga #4) make Hobbit decks very viable and The Treason of Saruman (#3) is Ents if anything (not enough to make a deck). The Road Darkens (Saga #2) is basically the Gandalf box.

So it depends on how much freedom you want in deck construction. Deluxe and Saga expansions give you a lot lower percentage player cards than APs. Those 4 Saga expansions will give you 16 non-uniques. That's less than the first two APs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bottom Liner posted:

Is it a terrible idea to just go with 1x core and each of the Saga expansions for LotR? My wife would definitely appreciate playing the book based content more than the rest, but I don't know how balanced an approach this would be.

It's not really "balanced" as it'll definitely be harder than normal (though I don't know how hard the saga quests are tbh), but it's certainly do-able. Two player on Easy mode (which is straight up more fun than normal anyway) should be fine.

The Hobbit boxes are very Dwarf focused, combined with the core set you should have a good selection for however that archetype is supposed to work.

The LotR boxes are more focused on Hobbits, and campaign mechanics that the normal expansions don't interact with (boons, Ringbearer resources etc.)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/6/8/the-city-of-corsairs/

New Prince Imrahil is obscene. Shame the art is awful.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

No. I've beaten the Hobbit Saga with the two suggested decks (Core+Saga), and I assume the LOTR one is the same.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Every time I mess around with ringsdb I end up *needing* another pack. Someone send me two Erestor allies.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

I was already dreaming up some cool decks with him, but drat you're right about that art. Horribad.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I got 3 alt-art Tyrions and 15 acrylic Lannister tokens today! :3:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Nice. I'm currently 0-5 at SoCal regionals with a bad deck I threw together yesterday. 52 players, still enough to get an alt art Varys. Woooo!

Sure do enjoy this game though.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Doing Conflict at the Carrock with a stupid Glorfindel/Damrod/Gandalf deck and I forgot how mean funny this game can be sometimes.

Grimbeorn appears turn 2, never get an Oak-wood Grove so I can't pay for him, he just sits in staging feeling his rear end grow.
Goblin Sniper gets put into Ranger Spikes and proceeds to always have another enemy with him, dealing 8 damage over the course of the game.
Have two Test of Wills in hand almost the entire game - see zero treacheries.
Fight Louis first to get his effect out of the way, so next turn I have to fight the other three at once.
Actually manage to kill them all (including a bonus Hill Troll) with everyone almost dead, so all I need to do is quest for a single point to finish the game... and the other Hill Troll comes out.

RIP Gandalf, you died so the others could live. 11 rounds, 47 ending threat, Glorf and Damrod on 2 hp each, one Vassal of the Windlord as my only remaining ally. Absolute shitshow.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Single Tight Female posted:

Doing Conflict at the Carrock with a stupid Glorfindel/Damrod/Gandalf deck and I forgot how mean funny this game can be sometimes.

Grimbeorn appears turn 2, never get an Oak-wood Grove so I can't pay for him, he just sits in staging feeling his rear end grow.
Goblin Sniper gets put into Ranger Spikes and proceeds to always have another enemy with him, dealing 8 damage over the course of the game.
Have two Test of Wills in hand almost the entire game - see zero treacheries.
Fight Louis first to get his effect out of the way, so next turn I have to fight the other three at once.
Actually manage to kill them all (including a bonus Hill Troll) with everyone almost dead, so all I need to do is quest for a single point to finish the game... and the other Hill Troll comes out.

RIP Gandalf, you died so the others could live. 11 rounds, 47 ending threat, Glorf and Damrod on 2 hp each, one Vassal of the Windlord as my only remaining ally. Absolute shitshow.

Yep, this game rules.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/6/7/lore-of-the-rings-part-one/
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/6/14/lore-of-the-rings-part-two/

Ian from Tales from the Cards has two really good articles on Fantasy Flight's site. I think goon mongol is buds with Ian, so, uhh, pass the word along that an internet stranger liked his articles

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

I got the core box of LOTR, quite enjoying it. I do like the cooperative multiplayer aspect.
Would me investing in the card pool allow me to field muitlpe decks at the same time? I know the best end goal is buy-in from other people but until I can rustle that up is it possible to have multiple decks on the go? Or are there neutral cards that need to go into every deck later on? For an awkward comparison, Hedge Funds/Sure Gambles/Jackson Howards problem from Netrunner, where they need to be in practically every deck.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

blindidiotgod posted:

I got the core box of LOTR, quite enjoying it. I do like the cooperative multiplayer aspect.
Would me investing in the card pool allow me to field muitlpe decks at the same time? I know the best end goal is buy-in from other people but until I can rustle that up is it possible to have multiple decks on the go? Or are there neutral cards that need to go into every deck later on? For an awkward comparison, Hedge Funds/Sure Gambles/Jackson Howards problem from Netrunner, where they need to be in practically every deck.

It shouldn't be a problem if your decks don't have sphere overlap, the only "essential" neutral card is Gandalf, which you can pick up some spares of if you decide you need 3 per deck.

Or, of course, pick up a second or third core :haw:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Yesterday I finished Shadow and Flame (the last AP of the second Cycle)

Today I've been called by an airline that delayed my luggage for a couple of weeks last month. My complaint has gone through and they'll pay me just enough for Against the Shadow (expansion and APs). :getin:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Any eta on when the Khazad dum cycle is coming back? I thought they were just reprinted, but they seem to either be (partially) out of stock or marked way the gently caress up wherever I look. A lot of places have like, four out of the six but are missing the first two in the cycle or whatever, I'd rather get them in order.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Hauki posted:

Any eta on when the Khazad dum cycle is coming back? I thought they were just reprinted, but they seem to either be (partially) out of stock or marked way the gently caress up wherever I look. A lot of places have like, four out of the six but are missing the first two in the cycle or whatever, I'd rather get them in order.

It'll be a bit since it was just re-printed. Their "upcoming" section of the site has it in the "Awaiting reprint" phase.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

I'm want Kazad to get a reprint too - currently sold out on Amazon and at my FLGS. Ended up picking up a copy of the Hobbit Over Hill and Under Hill instead.

[Edit] Looks like Miniatures Market has it for $28 shipped.

SteveMcQueen fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My wife and I have really been enjoying the LotR core set the past few weeks. Thanks to a glorious ebay purchase I just got the following:

1x Core (have 2 total now)
Shadow of Mirkwood cycle
Khazad
Drawrrowdelf cycle
The Hobbit Over & Under
The Hobbit On the Doorstep
Murder at the Prancing Pony AP

Holy poo poo that's a lot of cards. I'm kinda lost on where to start deckbuilding now. We mostly play 2 player, what two spheres should I typically stick to for each deck for good synergies? I assume basic things like Spirit and Tactics for combat and healing, but are Lore and Leadership a good combo as well to balance out our card pool for deck building?

Also, how feasible is it to build a solo deck as opposed to playing two handed for most quests?