Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Octatonic posted:

This is now my opinion. Cipher has loosened up a bit in her old age (of 20- is she lying about her age, or was she a child soldier? ace combat is anime enough for either) enough to take easy side jobs and speak while she's working, if only to troll the flight lead.

Demon Lords don't age. They also have magical powers that allow them to get perfect fake ID papers to sign up for different air forces like the ISA Air Force, the Osean Air Force and the Emmerian Air Force without being recognized at any point. Working with her twin in the same squadron made things a bit weird that one time though and then she got really into transhumanism but got some measure of better after getting a good drubbing.

Maybe they call the opera house because maybe it kinda looks like one? There a few major port facilities around here known as the cathedral and the mosque because of something like that.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Octatonic posted:

This is now my opinion. Cipher has loosened up a bit in her old age (of 20- is she lying about her age, or was she a child soldier? ace combat is anime enough for either) enough to take easy side jobs and speak while she's working, if only to troll the flight lead.

It's been my kind of joke theory for a while that Phoenix is actually Alberto Lopez (Espada 1), having gone to Usea to visit family (keeping in mind the Usea-Sapin connection in the lore) and having joined the FCU mercenary division once the Skully Islands incident broke out to try and make amends for being suckered into joining AWWNB. Becoming effectively a phoenix rising from the ashes of his tarnished past.

He just never went back to Marcella so she wrote him off as dead.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon is a lot more generous than to the various nationalities than Anglo-Only Call of Duty: the Russians are actually the ones who do most of the fighting in their own country, instead of just rolling over and doing jack poo poo when Crazy Ivan takes over Russia, and I'm pretty sure most of the player's wingmates are actually from all over NATO. Hell, the two Russian antagonists would fit right in with Strangreal: the main antagonist is basically an rear end in a top hat Belkan, and the other is only an enemy because he put honor before reason.

Now, if only there wasn't a forced AC-130 segment; so glad that gaming gimmick died.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

It's been my kind of joke theory for a while that Phoenix is actually Alberto Lopez (Espada 1), having gone to Usea to visit family (keeping in mind the Usea-Sapin connection in the lore) and having joined the FCU mercenary division once the Skully Islands incident broke out to try and make amends for being suckered into joining AWWNB. Becoming effectively a phoenix rising from the ashes of his tarnished past.

He just never went back to Marcella so she wrote him off as dead.

All the more reason for Nagase to tease. The second the comms click off, she all but loses it laughing, and it happens again every time Phoenix manages to stall out in vertical climbs, loops, and other maneuvers she did dozens of times in Ace Combat Zero.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 1, 2016

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

thetruegentleman posted:

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon is a lot more generous than to the various nationalities than Anglo-Only Call of Duty: the Russians are actually the ones who do most of the fighting in their own country, instead of just rolling over and doing jack poo poo when Crazy Ivan takes over Russia, and I'm pretty sure most of the player's wingmates are actually from all over NATO.

Yeah, for all the things they straight-up copied from Modern Warfare, they at least had the decency to pretend that someone other than America was doing anything on NATO's side (the guy in charge of TF108 was French) and that all of Russia wouldn't just accept an ultranationalist uprising or whatever the excuse was this time because "gently caress the west".

And on the subject of Phoenix:

I caved in and started playing some Vector Thrust again.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Oh my god, I actually facepalmed once I saw the A-10 turn on a dime for the dog-fight mode.

Someone needs to make a gif of that as a perfect example of the essence of that system.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It's perfectly normal for an A-10 to do that I don't know what you're facepalming about :q:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

thetruegentleman posted:

Now, if only there wasn't a forced AC-130 segment; so glad that gaming gimmick died.

How dead inside do you have to be not to appreciate the simple pleasure of firing a flying howitzer at infantry

The helicopter and door gunner missions were awful though

drat, it feels like a completely different game. Is the map scaled down? distances look much shorter than in AC2. It looks easier too, in AC2 I could never aim the cannon so easily

And lol is that a Bowser A-10?

Brunom1 posted:

Oh my god, I actually facepalmed once I saw the A-10 turn on a dime for the dog-fight mode.

Someone needs to make a gif of that as a perfect example of the essence of that system.

Lunethex posted:

It's perfectly normal for an A-10 to do that I don't know what you're facepalming about :q:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqwLUsOYgc4
(Assault Horizon spoilers I guess)

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 1, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I think the best part about the DFM A-10 in Triz's video is how the enemy was excited for you, saying Nice! when you pulled it off. Even the game knew just how cool that was.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Lunethex posted:

I think the best part about the DFM A-10 in Triz's video is how the enemy was excited for you, saying Nice! when you pulled it off. Even the game knew just how cool that was.

How about that time when the A-10 cuts warships in HALF using only it's gun while simultaneously raining down enough missiles to reduce the entire western US into a smouldering crater?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVmVIZUZQ0

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
Is it weird that the thing I was most ambivalent about in Assault Horizon is that the main character talks?

I liked that there were helicopter gunship missions, though. I always knew AC would go for those one day, and I thought they turned out alright.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hackbunny posted:

And lol is that a Bowser A-10?

Yes it is. Legacy has an option you can turn on to collect special Nintendo themed planes which have altered stats from their regular versions. We'll be showing them all off and how they're unlocked in some detail in the finale post, but yeah Trizophenie might sneak one in every now and then in the ACE versions of some levels.

Basically the special planes are:

F/A-22 - Mario
F-35 - Luigi
EF-2000 - Princess Peach
F-16C - Captain Falcon
A-10 - Bowser
PAK FA - Pac-Man
F/A-18E - Donkey Kong

Those are the ones you can unlock in-game. You can also unlock additional Nintendo planes with various Amiibos:

F-14D - Link
YF-23 - Samus
F-15SE - Zelda
F-4F - Olimar & Pikmin
ADF-01 FALKEN - StarFox
Dummied out - Yoshi

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It bugs me every time they called him Warwolf and not Werewolf.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It is indeed Johnny Young Bosch in Legacy. I'd never forget that dude's voice.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax

Lunethex posted:

It bugs me every time they called him Warwolf and not Werewolf.

It's the next evolution tier in the Ace-o-dex after Wardog :pseudo:

I'm 99% sure this is the actual thinking behind it

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Crow said the same. That reference was utterly lost on me even having played it many times. It just doesn't jive and it also sounds dumb.

But that's just AH I guess :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

It is indeed Johnny Young Bosch in Legacy. I'd never forget that dude's voice.

Good enough for me. I'll update the 4A post then. Thanks.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Frogisis posted:

It's the next evolution tier in the Ace-o-dex after Wardog :pseudo:

I'm 99% sure this is the actual thinking behind it

Same reason Wardog is the 108 Tac Fighter Squadron, and Warwolf is part of Task Force 108

PA love them some callbacks

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I just wish it were a better one. Warwolf is ... very awkward. Especially given how often someone says it.

Of course it's small change against "every line of dialogue in Ace Combat 6," so there is that.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Frogisis posted:

I liked that there were helicopter gunship missions, though.

I liked that there were helicopter gunship missions, too. Just not the missions we got

nine-gear crow posted:

PAK FA - Pac-Man

:v:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Frogisis posted:

Is it weird that the thing I was most ambivalent about in Assault Horizon is that the main character talks?

I liked that there were helicopter gunship missions, though. I always knew AC would go for those one day, and I thought they turned out alright.

The helicopter missions were a decent change of pace; could have been better, but they weren't outright bad by any means. As for the main character talking, it honestly seemed like a logical progression: why should the protagonist be the only one avoiding protocol by silently killing enemies and ignoring changes in objective by high command? He doesn't have to give some soliloquy about the horrors of war, but he should at least be acting like the soldier he is, and maybe giving off an expletive or two when a nuke goes off and buffets his plane...

hackbunny posted:

How dead inside do you have to be not to appreciate the simple pleasure of firing a flying howitzer at infantry

The helicopter and door gunner missions were awful though

Try it on Ace difficulty: the AC-130 almost can't kill SAMs fast enough to actually win the mission, and the mission feels pretty much forced to boot. I'd much rather have a Warthog level that doesn't require the Player to also fight planes.

Edit: Also, the thing that angers me about the F-35 is that it displaced the F-22 (something that, while flawed, has actually been doing missions for some time now, not just sitting in some loving hanger) because the heads of the US government (particularly the Secretary of Defense) thought it would be sending a message about overblown military contracts if it went down on the F-22...and then the F-35 went and became the loving poster child for overblown military contracts.

I can't wait until the US government is forced to admit to everyone that the F-35 will require their entire fleet to be re-configured in order to work; not even work well, just work. Lots of people gonna be happy about that!

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 2, 2016

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes it is. Legacy has an option you can turn on to collect special Nintendo themed planes which have altered stats from their regular versions. We'll be showing them all off and how they're unlocked in some detail in the finale post, but yeah Trizophenie might sneak one in every now and then in the ACE versions of some levels.

Basically the special planes are:

F/A-22 - Mario
F-35 - Luigi
EF-2000 - Princess Peach
F-16C - Captain Falcon
A-10 - Bowser
PAK FA - Pac-Man
F/A-18E - Donkey Kong

Those are the ones you can unlock in-game. You can also unlock additional Nintendo planes with various Amiibos:

F-14D - Link
YF-23 - Samus
F-15SE - Zelda
F-4F - Olimar & Pikmin
ADF-01 FALKEN - StarFox
Dummied out - Yoshi

Don't understand why the Starfox one is spoilered out?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tithin posted:

Don't understand why the Starfox one is spoilered out?

I keep waffling back and forth on whether I'm writing this from an in-universe perspective or not, as the FALKEN debuts in AC2, and is meant to be a surprise for first time players, even though we've already seen it in Zero and Argate and I talk about it to an extent in the upcoming video, which should be up in the next half hour if everything works out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Breakthrough at the Ravine Base / Intercept Rebels in the Channel

Mission 5: Operation Greased Lightning – April 29th, 1998
Mission 6: Operation Hunting Season (Legacy Version)

Overview [AC2]: Phoenix is tasked with crippling a Rebel-held airfield in a deep ravine in Meriton, deep inside FCU territory.

Overview [AHL]: Scarface Squadron launches a surprise offensive against the Rebels’ main eastern air contingent in Payton Channel and encounters another one of the URF’s top Ace squadrons.

Gameplay Note: These two missions mark another divergence point between Ace Combat 2 and Assault Horizon Legacy. Legacy isn’t an exact 1:1 replication of AC2, as such there are going to be missions like these ones which are either entirely unique to one game or another or are remixes of certain missions from 2 into Legacy.

|
Guest Commentators: LOOOOOGAAAAAN Lunethex returns for the Ace Combat 2 version. While in the Legacy version, I am joined by ChaosArgate. Argate has helmed and participated in a number of LPs including Saints Row IV, Sleeping Dogs, No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2, Faerie Fortune’s blind run through The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong Country Returns for Artix’s DK megathread, and the fist-swallowingly stupendous Devil’s Third with Artix and Jobbo_Fett. He’s currently working on a stream LP of Demon’s Souls and The Saboteur with Jobbo.

BEAST SQUADRON
Federation of Central Usea Allied Air Force, 13th Air Force Unit, 8th Fighter Wing, 5th Tactical Fighter Squadron (Defected)
Members:
  • Beast 1 –Sergei “Eater” Brynner
  • Beast 2 – [NAME REDACTED]
  • Beast 3 – [NAME REDACTED]
  • Beast 4 – [NAME REDACTED]
  • Beast 5 – [NAME REDACTED]
Squadron Composition: F/A-18E Super Hornet (x4), EA-18G Growler (x1)

Beast Squadron was once the centerpiece of the FCU Allied Forces’ eastern air force contingent on Usea. Beast flight flew a five plane formation of four fast-attack interceptor F/A-18s and one electronic support and jamming EA-18 acting as their localized AWACS and jammer unit.

Beast’s flight lead, the mysterious Sergei Brynner, also incorporated tactics once perfected by the pilots of the Belkan Air Force during the Belkan War, following the example of 2nd Lt. Erich “Phonix” Hillenbrant of Belka’s Schnee Squadron, who also flew a 5-plane flight which included a jammer support plane.

Appropriate to their name, the Beast pilots preferred brutally vicious attack patterns, blinding their enemies with their jammer unit and swarming around them to trap them in a net of planes and missiles similar to the famous Kupchenko Golden Cage maneuver.

EATER
Callsign(s): Eater, Beast 1
Sex: Male
Nationality: Gratobie (disputed)
Signature Plane: F/A-18E Super Hornet
Voice Actor: Crispin Freeman (Uncredited, Unverified)

A caustic and vicious veteran of multiple conflicts, much of Brynner’s service record has been sealed by the FCU government indefinitely, as he is currently under investigation by INTERPOL on multiple alleged counts of war crimes, sedition, and identity fraud. Supposedly an immigrant from the nation of Gratobie, the FCU government and military leadership is reviewing and investigating his immigration records following his defection to the Usean Rebel Forces and a history of vehement anti-Osean statements.

Recently disclosed mission reports from the Ustio Air Force’s 6th Air Division claim he was present during several operations in the B7R Round Table airspace during the Belkan War… as a Belkan pilot.

Greased Lightning
Mission 5 of Ace Combat 2 continues the trend started with Superfly of referencing popular 1970s movies. In this case, the mission takes its name from the centerpiece song of the 1974 film adaptation of the stage musical Grease starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton John. The song is sung by Danny Zuko and the T-Birds over a montage of them building their street racing hotrod, the titular Greased Lightning itself.

Meriton Highlands
The Meriton Highlands are an offshoot of the Lambert Mountains running down into the Delarus Desert in western Usea. Known primarily for their high hills and deep ravines, a covert URF catapult airbase which is currently under construction lies within one of the many ravines in the region.

Payton Channel
A narrow channel separating Payton Island from the Usean mainland on the western coast of Usea. The channel is bracketed by several naval ports and small towns and is a frequent chokepoint/port of call for many vessels in the FCU’s Eusian Fleet in their travels between Saint Ark, Expo City, and Comona.

Aircraft featured in Mission 5: Operation Greased Lightning

C-5A Galaxy
Manufacturer: Lockheed Martin
Role: Heavy transport
Manufactured: 1968–1973
Primary Operators: United States
Quick Facts:
  • Appears in Ace Combats 2, Assault Horizon Legacy, 5, X, Joint Assault, and Air Combat.
  • Often takes 3 missile hits to down, unlike most other targets which only take 2 in the PS2-era and onward games.
  • Popping the Galaxy on the runway in Greased Lightning unlocks Mission 6B, Bear Tracks in Ace Combat 2.
  • One of the largest (currently operating) military cargo transport aircraft in the world.
  • Designed for intercontinental strategic airlifts of large and outsized cargo, such as tanks or other heavy equipment or vechicles.
  • Frequently deployed in both combat and humanitarian relief situations.
  • Participated in transport operations in support of the NASA Space Shuttle program as well.
  • Had a fairly turbulent development history including cost overruns and material shortfalls.
  • Replaced the propeller driven C-133 Cargomaster , and the smaller C-141 Starlifter.
  • The upgraded C-5M Super Galaxy is expected to remain in service until 2040.

*This flag and map is SUPER non-canonical.
GRATOBIE
Full Name: The Republic of Gratobie
Capital: Unknown
Continent: Verusa (?)
Head of State: Unknown
Government: Unknown
Real World Analog: Serbia (?)

No information on Gratobie exists beyond its name. It might be a state in the FCU, it might be one of the unnamed countries on Strangereal, no one really knows. Everything up there is space-filling conjecture on my part so don’t take any of it on face value, I am literally just making poo poo up right now.

[LEGACY]

Medal: Beast Slayer
Awarded for: Defeating Beast Squadron.
Description: Awarded to pilots who defeat Beast Squadron.

Death Rave 2000
  • Plane: T-50 PAK FA
  • Game: Assault Horizon Legacy
  • Mission 6
  • Spawn conditions: Spawns after Beast Squadron surrounds the player.

AC2

Tracks featured in Mission 5:

DISC 1

ACAHL

Tracks featured in Mission 6:

DISC 1

DISC 2

Presenting, as mentioned in the video, the StarFox ADF-01 FALKEN.

Click above to be both spoiled, and disappointed.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 18, 2018

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well the starfalken is... something, alright.

Also I am pretty sure I know what I'm seeing, and I'm so glad to see the Ace portion of the video features one of my favorite things in AHL and JA/X2, the super Mig. Because the lower level planes can use better, higher level parts and the higher level planes can't the humble Fishbed becomes a terror of the skies. IIRC a highly tuned Mig can have better turning performance than things like the F-22. It does require getting all the high level parts first though, so its mostly a stupid trick, but its seriously awesome as a concept.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

But it's still a Fishbed and therefore has no style :smug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I believe you are forgetting that the C-5 is also nuclear capable :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96A0wb1Ov9k

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
So, I've decided to try and give Ace Combat 4 another go (the game didn't work last time I tried; I'm sure you lovely duckies can figure out why without me saying), and it's looking good! Would prefer an actual HD version, but beggars can't be choosers, as the saying goes.

The best thing though is that I tried to do the tutorial, since I'm basically un-learning years of improved mechanics: on the last one, I actually managed to fail the tutorial mission, because it locked me into auto-pilot after letting me shoot some targets without leveling the plane completely, leading to a very slow crash into the ground while pop-ups talking about mission borders. MISSION FAILED.

I haven't laughed at that kind of poor design since the original Homeworld had the AI attack (and kill) their own mothership after building a squad of frigates on the lowest AI settting. I'd suddenly won the last skirmish while faffing about with the game mechanics, so I sent out a probe in the next one to watch the enemy, and just kinda saw all their frigates all slowly turn 10 minutes in to face the mothership, and then start shooting it. I had to race out just to kill their ships before they killed themselves.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
You know, this is one of the few non-choice LP's that I've read every post of (even the arguments) simply because, beyond the story in a series I honestly didn't think would have much of one, all the Airplane specs and such are fascinating, me being someone who, until last thread, could barely tell a QAAM from a SAM and most certainly wouldn't know the difference between an F-35 and an F-16. Crow and Kadorhal (and to a slightly lesser extent Lunethux and Trizophenie) may be the backbone of these threads, but it wouldn't be the same without the rest of you sharing what you know. I just wanted to say that now, seeing as I don't have any actual knowledge, either of the series or of the planes, to offer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
as someone else who doesn't have any actual knowledge of planes or plane-things, i want to sincerely thank you for also reading my posts.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

For the record, most turbine based engines don't really care what they burn so long as it outputs approximately at least the right amount of calories per mass (more is generally an advantage).

And so long as the viscosity of the fuel or reaction products isn't a problem. So a problem with benzine, Chanel N°5 or rotgut but if you want to be exotic and burn some boranes the highly viscous residue it produces as it burns will make your engine very sad when it sticks to various turbine parts.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always loved just going as fast as I could go in any Ace Combat canyon or canyon-like mission. I'm no speed runner though and AC2's canyon led to more than a few smouldering stains on rocks.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I can see why you'd want Chaos on commentary when you're dealing with snake Eater

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

For those of you who are disappointed in the Starfalken.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 7, 2016

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Saw this in the OSHA thread in GBS the other day when they were discussing the Thunderbirds F-16 that went down over Colorado last week:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Casualty posted:

Saw this in the OSHA thread in GBS the other day when they were discussing the Thunderbirds F-16 that went down over Colorado last week:

ACES showed me that earlier. Its great.

...The image, not the fact that a plane crashed.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Kadorhal posted:

For those of you who are disappointed in the Starfalken.

That's a Sweet StarTomcat! What game is that again?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

KDavisJr posted:

That's a Sweet StarTomcat! What game is that again?

Vector Thrust. For all the issues the development has had, I can't say it hasn't hooked me with how much I can customize the look of the planes. If you look closely that's 18 skins in total for just the F-14D, and I think at most two of those came with the game. Adding up all the F-14 variants I think I'm close to 30 skins just for those (although in fairness, some of those are just variants of the same thing with different markings and emblems).

EDIT: sometimes I'm considering doing an LP of HAWX, with the gimmick of all my custom skins instead of custom music.
Not HAWX 2, though. Not unless you all pay me.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 8, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Night-time Pursuit Plane / Attack on the Mine

Mission 6A: Operation Midnight Assassin – May 10th, 1998
Mission 6B: Operation Bear Tracks – May 10th, 1998
Mission 7: Operation Midnight Assassin (Legacy Version)

A rare triple update because the Bear Tracks mission isn’t in Assault Horizon Legacy on account of Midnight Assassin being retooled into a plot-based mission.

Overview: Scarface Squadron is deployed on a nighttime assault on against a URF electronic warfare air wing and encounters a mysterious and deadly enemy fighter. Later, Scarface Squadron conducts a bombing run on a URF-occupied mining facility to disrupt their supply of raw materials to their war factories.

|
Guest Commentators: I am joined by Lazyfire for Mission 6A and 6B of Ace Combat 2, and by ACES CURE PLANES for Mission 7 of Legacy.

Lazyfire is in the midst of yet another Call of Duty LP: Call of Duty: World At War, starring 45 minutes-worth of salvaged Kiefer Sutherland audio and Gary Oldman’s weirdass Russian accent from Air Force One. I stop by in Episode 8 to talk Lazyfire out of killing himself over the game’s terrible tank missions.

Z.O.E.
[NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE]
Members:
  • “Captain”
  • [NO ADITIONAL INFORMATION AVALABLE]
Squadron Composition: F-14D Super Tomcat (x1 [?]), [NO ADITIONAL INFORMATION AVALABLE]

A lone mysterious fighter craft encountered by Scarface Squadron during Operation Midnight Assassin. Though Allied IFF painted the fighter as hostile, there has been no indication thus far that it is affiliated with the Rebel forces. After-action analysis showed the fighter to be capable of pulling maneuvers registering G-forces well in excess of a typical fighter pilot’s tolerance level and beyond what a typical F-14 could be expected to survive.

The solid red plane bore no identification lettering, numbering, or iconography, and its solid black canopy prevented visual identification of its pilot. Even its transponder broadcasted garbage information rather than actual identifying data. The only discernible information that could be retrieved from the signal was the word “ZOE”.

FCU Allied Intelligence is investigating the matter. Expect more information soon.

Aircraft featured in Mission 6B: Bear Tracks

Buccaneer S.2B
Manufacturer: Hawker Siddeley (previously Blackburn Aircraft Limited)
Role: Strike fighter / Bomber
Manufactured: 1958–1960s(?)
Primary Operators: United Kingdom, South Africa
Quick Facts:
  • An enemy-exclusive plane.
  • Only shows up in Ace Combat 2, and only in Mission 6B, "Bear Tracks".
  • Are curiously non-aggressive towards the player. Will never attack the player and merely fly around the map aimlessly.
  • Designed as an carrier-based navy strike fighte.
  • Capable of carrying both conventional, anti-ship, and nuclear armaments.
  • Replaced by the Panavia Tornado GR4.
  • Three Buccaneers were owned at one time by Thunder City Holdings, a South African aircraft maintenance and operation company and one of the largest civilian owners of former military aircraft in the world.

[AC2]

Medal: Razorback
Awarded for: Shooting down both Razorback F-117s in either Mission 6A or 6B.
Description: N/A

Razorback
  • Plane: F-117A Nighthawk (x2)
  • Game: Ace Combat 2
  • Mission 6A / 6B
  • Spawn conditions: Spawns by default (both missions).

[LEGACY]

Razorback
  • Plane: F-4E Phantom II
  • Game: Assault Horizon Legacy
  • Mission 7
  • Spawn conditions: Spawns near the E-767.

AC2

Tracks featured in Mission 6A:

DISC 1

Tracks featured in Mission 6B:

DISC 1

ACAHL

Tracks featured in Mission 7:

DISC 1

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

#005/006 - Razorback

Dell & Dennis Mundy
Male, 28, Ardenian
F-117A Nighthawk
Operation Midnight Assassin: Shot Down/Killed in Action

Twin brothers born in Arden, who frequently visited neighboring Osea as part of business trips taken with their mother and took a noted interest in their military functions, which lead to their initial employment in aircraft development and design. They moved to Usea during the short-term trade agreement that saw adoption of various Osean technologies worldwide, such as the F-117 stealth fighter, and were hired by the Rebellion for their knowledge of Osea and its technology to develop counter-tactics and technology. The twins briefly experimented with a cheap, one-time use and easily-replaceable missile defense system meant to deflect heat-seeking missiles from fighter-sized aircraft, after hearing rumors of a similar system developed by a Belkan corporation, but work was brought to a halt as one of the brothers was killed in action while defending retreating allies in the Meriton region.

I've got to imagine Bear Tracks was a somewhat-late addition to the game - at least past the point where they removed the Records, since it doesn't take into account that the player could pick their mission for number six and they'd still end up having a shot at Razorback. I can imagine the airfield at the end of mission 5 being empty until they wanted to add another optional mission and realized they could totally put it in there, but then they got lazy for the ace and just put the same guys from its counterpart.
On the subject of music: I totally forgot about it, but Bear Tracks features my favorite song in the game. It's a remix of a song that showed up in Air Combat, for those curious.

Anyway, I've got a double-feature on the images front for you today. First is a shot of Razorback in the model viewer:

If anyone's curious why there's a pig on their medal, they have a silhouette of a pig on their tails. The F-117's tails are unfortunately angled enough that I can't get a good shot of both it and the overall paint scheme at the same time.

Second, since my last VT screenshot got good reception, here's something from Ace Combat 2:

I've recreated a shitton of Ace Combat paint schemes in that game because of nice people who ripped the textures from 2, the PS2 trilogy, and Joint Assault (alongside some of the Air Force Delta and Sidewinder games), so if you want to see more I can keep posting one or two of them with each of crow's updates.

• Locked thread