Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Also, one is a fully included subset of the other, so you can't say you love the broader set when you hate a substantial minority portion of that set.

Also there's nothing moral about kicking them out either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Seven years closely watching the GOP turn into a party that would elect Trump and it turns out she was sharpening her loving daggers the whole time.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

AdmiralViscen posted:

Also, one is a fully included subset of the other, so you can't say you love the broader set when you hate a substantial minority portion of that set.

Also there's nothing moral about kicking them out either.

According to the Wikipedia, almost 20 percent of Illegal Immigrants aren't Hispanic

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

According to the Wikipedia, almost 20 percent of Illegal Immigrants aren't Hispanic

Has Trump ever said a single word about them? I'm not sure he even understands that not every Hispanic who crosses the Mexican border illegally is a Mexican. He calls everyone he hates a Mexican.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 4, 2016

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

there wolf posted:

Isn't engineering applied science, or is that kind of a meaningless distinction? Like calling physicists liberal arts majors.

Nah, it's a pretty huge difference. I'm an engineer, and I was taught how to solve very specific problems in college, not general science. And I get the idea that I got a better science education that a lot of engineers, judging by the piss poor science skills I see out of them every time I expect some. Engineering is a lot more applied math than science in my mind. I think the class I took on field theory in the physics department showed me how out of my depth I'd be in proper science.

I'm also not saying this to be "engineers are dumb assholes", though that applies a lot more than you'd expect. But the idea that it's the hardest drat degree in the world is totally horse poo poo. You get the skills to build very specific stuff, and if you get a good education the ability to formulate problems in ways that you can actually solve them instead of just running into a brick wall. It's a cool skill but doesn't make you the ubermensch some engineers pretend to be.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 4, 2016

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Holy poo poo who cares about engineering vs biology vs liberal arts

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
A Trump presidency would be like when Voldemort took over the Ministry of Magic and had rogue inquisitorial squads capturing and accusing people of not being wizards.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Holy poo poo who cares about engineering vs biology vs liberal arts

All productive professions are welcome in the glorious new empire. Especially the arts.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Stereotype posted:

A Trump presidency would be like when Voldemort took over the Ministry of Magic and had rogue inquisitorial squads capturing and accusing people of not being wizards.

Could you compare it to a Goosebumps book?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

boom boom boom posted:

The Haunted Mask but with a hairpiece.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

boom boom boom posted:

You are acting like the American electorate is more mature or educated or responsible than a child

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FAUXTON posted:

Seven years closely watching the GOP turn into a party that would elect Trump and it turns out she was sharpening her loving daggers the whole time.

I think she has been planning homes for these blades since the early nineties at the very least.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/AmyDentata/status/738924070268342272

The Audacity of These Motherfuckers Right Here would actually be a pretty awesome name for the memoirs of his terms in office.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Stereotype posted:

You are acting like the American electorate is more mature or educated or responsible than a child

You're the one who leapt to children's books when searching for a metaphor

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

You're the one who leapt to children's books when searching for a metaphor

drat, if only he'd leapt to a trashy harem anime about loving centaurs and harpies instead, then he'd be worthy of respect.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Brainiac Five posted:

drat, if only he'd leapt to a trashy harem anime about loving centaurs and harpies instead, then he'd be worthy of respect.

If I ever tried to explain politics through a Monster Musume reference, I'd expect mockery.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

https://twitter.com/AmyDentata/status/738924070268342272

The Audacity of These Motherfuckers Right Here would actually be a pretty awesome name for the memoirs of his terms in office.

I would get an autographed copy and it would be my most prized possession.

Seriously though, I can't explain how much more relatable and likable Obama is than pretty much any other president in a long-rear end time. It's pretty much him, Carter and Eisenhower in the last 100 years (and even Ike is pushing it).

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

If I ever tried to explain politics through a Monster Musume reference, I'd expect mockery.

Oh, I thought you were a snob, rather than being too stupid to understand how culture works. Oh well, guess I overestimated you again.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Brainiac Five posted:

Oh, I thought you were a snob, rather than being too stupid to understand how culture works. Oh well, guess I overestimated you again.

Don't worry about it.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

Don't worry about it.

So, how's the weather up on that pedestal you've put yourself on?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

boom boom boom posted:

Don't worry about it.

Hey boom cubed be nice. We're all about being good to each other as we cheer on Dear Lady lay the smack down on Trump.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Brainiac Five posted:

So, how's the weather up on that pedestal you've put yourself on?

good?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

i hate to be that guy but ICE is basically already this, right down to disappearing people. but the difference i guess is that it's conceivable that Clinton could be prevailed upon to stop the abuses whereas Trump would just respond to outcry with "ten feet higher lmao"

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Trump's main strategy at this point is to hope that he goads Hillary into beating him so severely that she suffers a heart attack

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zelder posted:

Trump's main strategy at this point is to hope that he goads Hillary into beating him so severely that she suffers a heart attack
There are worse ways to go then while trying to beat Donald Trump to death.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

nachos posted:

Muhammad Ali is apparently on life support and while this would normally be a sports story we might see Vietnam and the draft unexpectedly become 2016 election issues

He just died

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This was a long time coming unfortunately.

Don't forget that this will bring up Muslim/American relations in a BIG way. And not to Trump's and other racists benefit.

Arguably the most famous and beloved Muslim American of all time. I'm honestly wondering just what Trump will say about this.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 4, 2016

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Talmonis posted:

Third, I apologize for the George Zimmerman statement. It wasn't me saying "Durr, you're George Zimmerman," just offhandedly pointing out that yeah, "I'm Latino" isn't the best defense.

It's, um, actually the best defense against "says the white moderate" *rolls eyes*.

Talmonis posted:

You keep claiming she's being abrasive and aggressive, which she isn't (yet). Being on the receiving end of it before, I know full well what aggressive and abrasive looks like, and you're making a big deal over nothing. Secondly, it's pretty standard to try and shut down someone's criticism for being "overly aggressive" if they're a black woman. Which is a racist thing to do (one which I'm guilty of from time to time).
That may be pretty standard, but Unzip and Attack wasn't doing that. He called Tiny Brontosaurus an abrasive rear end in a top hat before the phrase 'black woman' appeared.

Also, reminder that Tiny Brontosaurus was outed as being white, so... no, not an example of shutting down criticism in a racist way.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Don't forget that this will bring up Muslim/American relations in a BIG way. And not to Trump's and other racists benefit.

Arguably the most famous and beloved Muslim American of all time. I'm honestly wondering just what Trump will say about him.

You spell Obama real weird.

Really though I don't think his death should play a role in a Trumping but it will because we deserve it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Maybe more transparency? If you could call up the TSA and say "hey, why am I on the no-fly list?" and they'd tell you that would help, and it would be a huge improvement to the process if people placed on the list in error had speedy recourse for clearing their names and getting off the list. Also if we stopped putting people on the list for things like "thinks apartheid is bad" but let's not kid ourselves.
Man, even that is unacceptable. If the government has evidence that a person is dangerous and should not be allowed to get on an airplane or buy guns or whatever, they should at the very least have to go to a judge and get a court order. None of this, "hey, you're on a list now, appeals are at our discretion. Good luck with that."

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Want an idea of how hosed Kansas is? Their public schools might not open on July 1st! Sam Brownback is a real shithead.

"Leavenworth Public School District posted:

Message from the Superintendent - Kansas Supreme Court Ruling on School Finance / Potential June 30 Shutdown

On Friday, May 27, the Kansas Supreme Court ruled unanimously that the school funding law passed by the Kansas Legislature in late March 2016 is unconstitutional. The Court had previously ruled in February that the existing school finance law created inequities in funding and an unfair local tax burden that harmed low-wealth districts and their students. The Court set a June 30 deadline for the legislature to comply with educational obligations contained within Article 6 of the Kansas Constitution. The Court’s concern is that the new formula allows wealthier districts to raise more money locally, with less tax effort, than less wealthy districts. Kansas tax rates are described in terms of mill levies. A mill levy is equal to $1 in taxes for every $1,000 in assessed value. In Leavenworth specifically, 1 mill raises approximately $183,245. School districts with higher assessed valuation can raise exponentially more (e.g., DeSoto = $412,028; Olathe = $1,804,506; Blue Valley $2,885,440; Shawnee Mission = $3,022,420), thus creating the inequities that the court has deemed as unconstitutional. The guiding philosophy being that all Kansas students should receive the same access to educational opportunities, regardless of the zip code that they live in, and that residents of that school district should not be disproportionately taxed to make up the difference.

Even though the June 30 deadline has been known to the Kansas Legislature since February, and reinforced by the decision on May 27, the Kansas Senate and House of Representatives both adjourned on Wednesday, June 1, without resolving the equalization issue at hand. This would now require a special session to be ordered by Governor Sam Brownback for legislators to return from break to address the Supreme Court’s decision and make attempts to avoid a shutdown of Kansas schools.

The current block grant funding system was developed as a temporary two-year solution to provide school districts with predictability while a new, “simpler” school finance formula was developed, however, that has not happened to date. The block grant also froze funding at 2013-14 levels, without any considerations for rising health care costs and inflation. Multiple courts have provided guidance on various options that would be deemed constitutional, including reverting back to the previous school finance formula in place prior to the block grants. The current block grant school finance formula had been previously deemed unconstitutional by a three-judge panel in the Shawnee County District Court in June 2015, with additional funding ordered. Rather than appropriate additional funding for the 2015-16 school year, the state chose to appeal the decision to the Kansas Supreme Court, and in the meantime has yet to develop and deliver a school finance system to the court that increases spending or state aid to school districts.

The range of possible solutions to the court’s decision has been limited by an unwillingness to revisit the 2013 tax policy that has resulted in a $1 billion reduction in state revenues. The state’s credit rating has been downgraded three times in two years and monthly revenues continue to fall short of estimates. Most recently, the month of May yielded an additional $74 million shortfall, which immediately causes the state’s recently approved Fiscal Year 2016 budget a deficit of $55 million. This means additional state spending cuts or budgetary allotments are in the near future, making it even more difficult to find the estimated $30-40 million dollars to satisfy the equalization issue of school funding. Additionally, while the state chose to appeal the decision of the lower court to the Kansas Supreme Court, since the decision there are now strong objections by state elected officials that the court does not have the authority to execute implications of the June 30 deadline. Prior to adjourning on June 1, some went so far as to openly suggest the Governor pardons anyone found in contempt of court if schools are closed. Others repeated the mantra that Kansas schools are receiving “record amounts of funding,” without the explanation that this description is only valid since the state began counting contributions to the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System. With much work left undone, these are examples of the mindsets and attitudes that might detract from a solutions-focused spirit of leadership and collaboration required to find a solution on behalf of Kansas students and families by the end of this month.

In their decision, the Kansas Supreme Court states that without a constitutionally valid system in place, schools will be unable to raise, distribute, or spend monies. If the June 30 deadline passes, school districts anticipate further clarification from the Kansas Supreme Court and the Kansas Department of Education as to what, if any, school district services or functions will be deemed critical. In addition to ongoing maintenance, cleaning, and facilities projects that are intentionally scheduled for the summer months to limit disruption to teaching and learning, there are a number of planned activities that would likely be halted: Child Nutrition Summer Meal Program; Elementary Summer Boost program; Horizon Kids Summer Camp; summer school; driver’s education; sports camps and practices; etc. A shutdown of any period of time will result in unknown scheduling impacts for the beginning of the 2016-17 school year, as student enrollment efforts would be delayed. In addition, if school districts are unable to make payments to employees (or any other entities), there is a risk that individuals will seek work elsewhere and be unavailable to support necessary district functions, regardless of when an adjusted first day of school is scheduled. This list could include custodians, cooks, bus drivers, paraprofessionals, teachers, etc. Working families will be forced to explore temporary child care solutions for an unknown duration, and most importantly, students will not be in classrooms and run the risk of falling behind their grade-level peers in surrounding states.

The June 30 deadline to avoid a school shutdown has been known to the Kansas Legislature since February.

It is critical for all members of our school community (students, parents, staff, business owners, and residents) to pay close attention to whether or not this issue is resolved prior to the stated deadline. If the Legislature, and/or Governor, does not make avoiding a shutdown of schools their top priority – with each passing day of inactivity, it becomes increasingly likely that school operations will be halted beginning July 1, and the tentatively scheduled first day of school for all students on August 16, would be pushed back.

The current school finance decision, and those before it, is a product of the judicial branch independently determining if the legislative branch is upholding its constitutional duty. It is the real world application of the checks-and-balances democracy that is taught in U.S. History and Government lessons. Since 1992, 35 different justices have reviewed evidence and considered witness testimony on the subject of school finance, and repeatedly found in favor of Kansas schools. Last week’s judicial decision reaffirms the belief that all Kansas youth deserve the same opportunity to acquire knowledge and skills to be college and career ready.

Public education is a primary responsibility of the State of Kansas, and in our belief, a key component of a healthy economic development policy. Future business owners, innovators, and leaders are being taught each day by dedicated Kansas educators. And now we wait…and hope that the current leaders entrusted with upholding the will of the people and the state’s constitution, are sincere in their desire to avoid any disruption to public education in Kansas.

Unless and until instructed otherwise, Leavenworth Unified School District administrators and staff will continue to work throughout the summer months to facilitate ongoing educational services, while also making plans for a successful 2016-17 school year. If the June 30 deadline is reached without legislative or executive response, additional information will be shared with our school community and patrons as it becomes available. There is no precedent in the State of Kansas for a school closure, or even in surrounding states, to help predict exactly what might happen. For those of us committed to the mission of preparing every student for success in every classroom, every day, it is an extremely frustrating and challenging time to be in public education. It is our hope to have the uninterrupted opportunity to continue to partner with our school families, and community, to support student well-being and success. However and whenever the school equalization issue is ultimately decided, Leavenworth Public Schools will work tirelessly to minimize impacts on our students, families, employees, and community-at-large.

Proud to be a Pioneer,
Mike Roth
Superintendent of Schools

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lets take bets, who is going to be the first shitheel to say something awful about Ali tonight/tomorrow? Will it's be about Vietnam or saying that he was racist against white people?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

His Purple Majesty posted:

It's cute that you guys think that proles will remember this speech in November.

The best/worst thing about that memory hole is she can repeat the speech verbatim closer to general election (if she makes it), and be just as devastating.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Take a look at the fits you throw when anybody so much as corrects one of your anally-excavated opinions and extrapolate that to how you'd feel if 30% of the country were happily voting for someone campaigning on a "Let's forcibly deport PDT" platform.

Yea I get how PTD can be a poo poo about it but and it has pissed me off too a couple of times because his poo poo takes conversations in lovely tangent directions, but he's not (usually) doing it to straight up troll. I mean when he says poo poo like "yo it's wrong to say you want to kill people, you should probably not do that", he's right even if you didn't exactly mean it. PTD usually brings up that poo poo when there's too much of a circlejerk about some things.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Arguably the most famous and beloved Muslim American of all time. I'm honestly wondering just what Trump will say about this.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Xanderkish posted:

How much harder do you think she can go with these attacks? I'm curious.

She is only playing back sound bites from Trump's campaign. It really doesn't seem like anything that harsh. It seems crazy to Democrats and most people, but all that stuff is gold for the Republican base.

Trump accused other candidates of being serial killers, that their parents assassinated a president. I want to at least see someone throw mud that dirty at Trump. Maybe an attack accusing Trump of eating a baby or loving his daughters.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Want an idea of how hosed Kansas is? Their public schools might not open on July 1st! Sam Brownback is a real shithead.

How does a state have a constitutions that stipulate children must have an equal education, but also have school funds tied to local property taxes? Or is the ruling just concerned that the tax itself isn't fair?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yoshifan823 posted:

Conservatism works! :cool:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
There are schools in Illinois that have already gotten notices they won't open this fall, benefits of not having a budget for a year

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

There are schools in Illinois that have already gotten notices they won't open this fall, benefits of not having a budget for a year

I can't wait til 2018 and we get Rauner the gently caress out of here.

Maybe Obama will come back and be a governor lol

Yeah I know

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Anybody familiar with a good biography regarding Ali, particularly anything that really gets into his life outside of boxing? I'm realizing I don't know as much about the man as he deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

eviltastic posted:

Anybody familiar with a good biography regarding Ali, particularly anything that really gets into his life outside of boxing? I'm realizing I don't know as much about the man as he deserves.

Not a book but I highly recommend the documentary When We Were Kings.

• Locked thread