Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I need to get my wife a new laptop for her work. Office and Lightroom/Photoshop are the main things she'll run. Good IPS display (probably 14") also required. She does quite a bit of photography work.

Budget is probably < $1200, but it's negotiable. Not a fan of Macs though.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I'm thinking maybe the Thinkpad T460 might be solid enough, think that'd be OK? Probably the i5-6300U / 1920x1080 / 8GB model.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t460/?sb=:00000025:00003D34:

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

T460p trackpad only registers correctly half the time. When it's bugging out it usually only works for a small swipe and stops suddenly. Usually it works fine after I reboot the box. I'm pretty happy with it otherwise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So that happens with every T460 trackpad?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Hmm, that's a bit disheartening since I'll be het helpdesk. Can anyone suggest a decent alternative?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Gerdalti posted:

I need to get my wife a new laptop for her work. Office and Lightroom/Photoshop are the main things she'll run. Good IPS display (probably 14") also required. She does quite a bit of photography work.

Budget is probably < $1200, but it's negotiable. Not a fan of Macs though.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I'm thinking maybe the Thinkpad T460 might be solid enough, think that'd be OK? Probably the i5-6300U / 1920x1080 / 8GB model.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t460/?sb=:00000025:00003D34:

The regular T460 is a great laptop for general home/work use, but not that great for photo editing specifically.
It has a weaksauce mobile CPU that will struggle if your wife edits raw files regularly and it has a screen that while normally nice to look at and use doesn't nearly cover even the sRGB colour space like you'd want for good photo editing.
Consider moving to the T460p (with the 1440p screen!), a decent configuration should be maybe $1000-$1100 depending on whether you put in your own RAM/SSD or use the overpriced Lenovo ones.
If the budget is negotiable ($1350 with the 1440p screen) then a Thinkpad P40 Yoga would also be worth considering, and is extra nice for photo editing because it comes with an integrated wacom digitiser + touch.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 31, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mu Zeta posted:

I imagine they're rarely touched and the majority of T460's lives in various docks.

garbage horse
Jul 31, 2015

lovin it
I just got my T460p and the track pad is totally fine fwiw. Feels solid as a rock in every way.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I'm not sure. It was fine when I posted the last response. Checking in on the thread again it is not fine.

Boiled Water posted:

I imagine they're rarely touched and the majority of T460's lives in various docks.

I bought a Thinkpad for the trackpoint and I'm super happy with that. I just thought of this, are there settings with which the PC recognizes me using the trackpoint and disables parts of the touchpad? I feel like sometimes my fat lower thumb touches the touchpad and it's super annoying how it messes up the cursor location, but sometimes my fat lower thumb touches the touchpad and nothing happens.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't typically post rumors but it looks like the new MBP is going to have four USB C ports, which should really speed up adoption. If the next gen iPhone switches over to USB C this should be a pretty good year for technology.

Also something about an OLED trackpad :confuoot:

http://www.cultofmac.com/430982/spy-photos-all-but-confirm-2016-macbook-pros-oled-touchpad/

I don't think manufacturers are climbing over themselves to put USB C charging in their existing laptops, but I would imagine that as they do rolling full redesigns of models, they'll start including it, at least on the high end. It should be interesting to see market adoption rate as Apple converts their entire laptop line over.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Considering a Dell Chromebook 13 and have some questions.

1. Can it be charged via the USB 3 port?
2. Much difference between the i3 and Celeron if I intend mainly to browse internet, use SSH and play Hearthstone?
3. The Dell Chromebook 13 7310 is listed as getting the Play store later this year. Are all current Dell Chromebook 13s 7310? Or only a specific one?

Also, anyone know if Dell plan to update their Chromebook 11 range? I'm thinking the 13" one might be a little big.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

1. Can it be charged via the USB 3 port? no
2. Much difference between the i3 and Celeron if I intend mainly to browse internet no, use SSH no and play Hearthstone possibly?
3. The Dell Chromebook 13 7310 is listed as getting the Play store later this year. Are all current Dell Chromebook 13s 7310? Or only a specific one? I would be stunned if any Celeron based chromebook sold in 2016 doesn't get it by February '17 if not before christmas

Also, anyone know if Dell plan to update their Chromebook 11 range? I'm thinking the 13" one might be a little big.

---

13" 1080p is pretty much the perfect device, do you need to fit it in a clutch purse or fanny pack or something?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

In the market for a new laptop for general use emphasizing portability and screen quality. Have narrowed it down to the XPS13 or lenovo yoga 900. Anyone have experience with the latter or should I go with the former since it's pretty commonly recommended in the thread?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
So, my current laptop just died so rather than a chromebook I want to get a replacement.

I'm going to be using it for taking to class, a lot of note-taking/word processing, programming, and playing LoL/Hearthstone. I would prefer a 13" screen, or a small form-factor 14 or 15", good battery life, and a decent keyboard. I would generally prefer longer battery life over higher resolution/touchscreens.

Budget: Under $1,400, ideally lower unless there's some compelling reason to spend more.

I've been looking at the XPS 13/15 and the 13 inch ASUS Zenbook (UX303UB), but I'm having trouble figuring out which configuration to get, and would appreciate some guidance.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

So it looks like I'm not the only one with touchpad problems on the T460p. This is kind of a shame because coming from the X230 this touchpad is pretty amazing and Win10 definitely supports more functionality with a good touchpad.

Has anyone else dealt with Lenovo returns? I'm feeling like it's a big hassle, but I'd like to do it before I have a box with less than optimal functionality.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

After much deliberation and this thread I've gone with a Dell XPS13 refurbished from ebay. It's literally half the price when compared to the danish dell online store.

Edit: I should probably clarify. The XPS13 I was eyeing costs 11490 DKK (1723.52 USD) in the Danish dell store. The same computer but with an american instead of scandinavian keyboard costs only 5600 DKK (840 USD). This is with tolls and tariffs but sans shipping. Shipping was an additional $50.

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 2, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
So my Chromebook (the Acer 720 with the i3) was recently stolen and now I'm looking for a replacement. The thing is, I bought this thing 2 years ago and don't really know what the market looks like in the ~$200-300 price range now. I loved that it had a workable keyboard, the best trackpad I've ever used, great battery life, a lightweight chassis, and a lightning fast OS.

Basically it did everything I needed it to do; the only thing I'd really want more than what it offered is more local storage and maybe the ability to boot into Windows as well so I can run Microsoft Office and the odd roguelike or something if necessary. Is a Chromebook still my best bet overall?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Hello friends I would like a recommendation for a good computer to get my wife. The last one I got her, lenovo y510p, sounded fantastic on paper but turned out to be a giant steaming pile of dogshit and the worst computer i have ever seen in real life. It overheated playing the most basic games and had a giant host of issues including a deliberately bad wireless chip. It is finally probably dying or whatever but we both hate it so much I'm not gonna wait for the end. So with that stated I caveat this with please do not recommend a lenovo anything. I will never buy another lenovo computer ever.

She wants something capable of gaming that has a decent sized monitor (15.6 in is what she is used to) and is not a steaming pile of horse poo poo that will catch fire if it runs minecraft. Any good recommendations? Price range prolly 1-1.5 grand usd I guess. flexible. If it is a thin portable computer even better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Some very quick impressions of the HP Chromebook 13:

Build quality is top notch. The thing is compact and rigid. Amazingly thin.

Keyboard has decent travel, but it's a bit more damped than my other keyboards so that's taking some getting used to.

Trackpad has been very nice so far, nothing bad to report there. It feels more precise than that of my Chromebook 2

B&O audio is nothing to write home about. The Skullcandy audio in the Toshiba Chromebook 2 gets louder.

Screen looks great. Nice and bright and uniform. The Toshiba Chromebook 2 might be a slightly warmer screen. Saturation is good though, everything looks great.

Performance is great. Leagues better than my Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2014). Things that chugged before like opening Inbox work just fine on this.

No fans just like the Chromebook 2, but it does get noticeably warm unlike the Chomebook 2. Price to pay for better performance. Nothing insane, but noticeable.

Resolution is a mixed blessing. It's sharp as hell. However, the scaling defaults to 200% (1600x900 'resolution' under chrome, it's not really that resolution, but that's how they show scaling.)

At 200%, that means I actually have less screen real estate than my Chromebook 2 at 1080p. It's honestly a bit easier to read so it's probably better in the long run, but it feels like going backwards a little. The 3 resolution steps in between 1600x900 and 3200x1800 are useless as some fonts show horrible scaling artifacts and are basically unreadable. I can always drop the zoom in chrome down to 90% which is still readable but allows more density.

In all, very positive so far. I'll give more impressions as they come.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jagchosis posted:

Hello friends I would like a recommendation for a good computer to get my wife. The last one I got her, lenovo y510p, sounded fantastic on paper but turned out to be a giant steaming pile of dogshit and the worst computer i have ever seen in real life. It overheated playing the most basic games and had a giant host of issues including a deliberately bad wireless chip. It is finally probably dying or whatever but we both hate it so much I'm not gonna wait for the end. So with that stated I caveat this with please do not recommend a lenovo anything. I will never buy another lenovo computer ever.

She wants something capable of gaming that has a decent sized monitor (15.6 in is what she is used to) and is not a steaming pile of horse poo poo that will catch fire if it runs minecraft. Any good recommendations? Price range prolly 1-1.5 grand usd I guess. flexible. If it is a thin portable computer even better.

Wait until August-September when you can get three times the performance for that price. Nvidia is putting desktop versions of the 1070 and 1080 in since the TDP of the cards is crazy low.

For reference, you can get a computer with a 970m dGPU for around $13-1500 or so. That's roughly equivalent to the 960. The desktop 970 is around 40-50% more powerful than the desktop 960. The 1070 is around twice as powerful as the 970. The 1080 is twice as powerful as the desktop 980.

Hilariously, they'll actually be cheaper than the current set of mobile GPU. ON A have to pay like $400 for a 960m, which is a total piece of poo poo card.

You will absolutely want to wait if you can. You won't get thin and portable though, not unless you pay an extra grand for a Razer Blade.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
It doesn't have to be like, amazing capabilities playing whatever the modern equivalent of crysis on full settings or anything. Moreso like, capable of modern gaming (of which a midrange outdated desktop is easily in my experience). The more important factor is reliability. The lenovo piece of poo poo was supposed to be moderately powerful but hooboy its complete and utter lack of reliability made it a giant loving headache

e: i am considering razer blade though now that i am aware of it, any trip reports?

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 3, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

It doesn't have to be like, amazing capabilities playing whatever the modern equivalent of crysis on full settings or anything. Moreso like, capable of modern gaming (of which a midrange outdated desktop is easily in my experience). The more important factor is reliability. The lenovo piece of poo poo was supposed to be moderately powerful but hooboy its complete and utter lack of reliability made it a giant loving headache

e: i am considering razer blade though now that i am aware of it, any trip reports?

Razer Blade laptops are fantastic, if hella pricey. In any event, I encourage you to wait if only because prices will drop some. That being said, if you don't want to wait, get something with a 970m or better. The 960 is GP207 and accordingly its really absolutely awful and will barely play most modern games on low at 1080p at 20-30FPS. The 970m is a big step up, around twice the power, but a 1070 is something like six times as powerful in total, and it'll last you for years at high settings.

If you don't want to wait, and fair enough if you don't, then the Razer Blade is still a great computer, and it had excellent build and screen quality to boot.

Personally I'm going to wait till I see a laptop with GSync and a 1070 one my Y50s warranty runs out in December. Light and good build quality would be a great plus too. So I have a similar ideal laptop in mind, and I'm trying to wait it out, but I don't blame you for preferring to get one now instead of waiting a few months.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 3, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So supposedly nvidia isn't making separate m(obile) GPU chips anymore, the 1070 and 1080 desktop chips will be going in to laptops as well, they'll just be much more thermally limited. But the 1080 produces literally half the heat that the 980 does, so that's a plus. Expected out in Sept or Oct of this year.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

And here is the formal list of Android app capable Chromebooks:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/6401474

The short version is, "basically all of them, even the ARM powered ones"

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 3, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Hadlock posted:

So supposedly nvidia isn't making separate m(obile) GPU chips anymore, the 1070 and 1080 desktop chips will be going in to laptops as well, they'll just be much more thermally limited. But the 1080 produces literally half the heat that the 980 does, so that's a plus. Expected out in Sept or Oct of this year.

Sounds like i.e. Her a major milestone or year of "only deaf people will be able to comfortably use gaming laptops".

Strockrow
Jan 30, 2005
Greatest of all the Rows!
So I've been thinking about getting a laptop for video editing for a while now, but I've been in a hold pattern for months for one reason or another. At this point I just want to get on with it, but I don't know if that's really wise. I don't plan on gaming on the laptop (besides maybe some spelunky) but a dGPU is definitely useful for the adobe suite.

I really like the idea of better battery life, a smaller power brick and maybe better ports if Kaby lake comes out in time, but I don't want to wait another half a year to buy this thing.

Should I just bite the bullet, or will there be something available by July or August? If there's a firesale on current models as they're replaced that would also be very attractive to wait for.

Strockrow fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 3, 2016

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Hadlock posted:

except my gen 1 pixel QQ

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Has anyone itt ever owned one of them Razer laptops mentioned

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Hadlock posted:

No it doesn't produce "half the heat." The 1080 is 50% more performance than a 980 for the same heat, stock vs stock desktop cards.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Hadlock posted:

Funny enough, one of the notable exceptions is the Acer C720, which is what I just lost! :v:

This is actually convincing me that my replacement should in fact be another Chromebook, so now it's just a matter of figuring out what my best options are among those. I don't suppose anyone in here has any opinions on some of the lighter Chromebooks? I think the C720 was 11.6 inches, which was actually perfect for me. If I could get a faster version of that with similar build/keyboard/trackpad quality I'd be very happy.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 3, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nickoten posted:

Funny enough, one of the notable exceptions is the Acer C720, which is what I just lost! :v:

This is actually convincing me that my replacement should in fact be another Chromebook, so now it's just a matter of figuring out what my best options are among those. I don't suppose anyone in here has any opinions on some of the lighter Chromebooks? I think the C720 was 11.6 inches, which was actually perfect for me. If I could get a faster version of that with similar build/keyboard/trackpad quality I'd be very happy.

I'm looking to replace my C720 too, and have my eye on this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CVOLVPA

I was so happy with the C720 and got so much use out of it, why stray from the same known good brand/model/family.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I want a cheap-ish gaming laptop to complement my desktop and for my 4-year old son to use (he REALLY likes Overwatch). After googling around, this version of the Dell Inspiron 7000 for $810 looks like the best option: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-15-6-Inch-Quad-Core-i5-6300HQ-Processor/dp/B015PYYDMQ/

Intel i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
8 GB DDR3L RAM / 256 GB Solid-State Drive
15.6-Inch 1080p IPS monitor

Downsides are that it's fairly heavy at ~5.5 pounds and the battery life is kind of bad (4.5 hours). But I can live with those, it will mostly be used on a desk anyway. It also looks very easy to swap out RAM/hard drives, which is nice.

Anyway I'm posting here in case I overlooked something and am making a terrible mistake.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cicero posted:

I want a cheap-ish gaming laptop to complement my desktop and for my 4-year old son to use (he REALLY likes Overwatch). After googling around, this version of the Dell Inspiron 7000 for $810 looks like the best option: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-15-6-Inch-Quad-Core-i5-6300HQ-Processor/dp/B015PYYDMQ/

Intel i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
8 GB DDR3L RAM / 256 GB Solid-State Drive
15.6-Inch 1080p IPS monitor

Downsides are that it's fairly heavy at ~5.5 pounds and the battery life is kind of bad (4.5 hours). But I can live with those, it will mostly be used on a desk anyway. It also looks very easy to swap out RAM/hard drives, which is nice.

Anyway I'm posting here in case I overlooked something and am making a terrible mistake.

as cheapish gaming laptops go it'll suffice, though you'll likely only be able to play overwatch on medium settings at ~40-60 FPS. It's roughly comparable to the 750 ti, which does perform better, but in laptops is subject to fairly severe thermal throttling.

Puppet
Nov 21, 2007
You can't cry when you're too tough to die.
Is this a bad choice? For a laptop around $1100?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232464&nm_mc=HookLogic&cm_sp=HookLogic-_-Gaming+Laptops-_-ASUS-_-34232464

It has precisely the specs I was looking for.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Puppet posted:

Is this a bad choice? For a laptop around $1100?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232464&nm_mc=HookLogic&cm_sp=HookLogic-_-Gaming+Laptops-_-ASUS-_-34232464

It has precisely the specs I was looking for.

that's the cheapest I've ever seen a 970m go for, though you'll really really really want to buy a SSD and replace the HDD that comes with it. The Samsung 850 EVO is perfect for this, it's like $150 for 500 gigs and $75-80 for 250.

other than that it looks fine, though it's a 17 inch behemoth. Also be aware that new gaming laptops with crazy powerful cards are coming out in two months. This is actually newsworthy since GPUs operate on a 2 year release cycle and don't tend to come down much in price during the interim in laptops, so this is basically the worst time to buy a gaming laptop.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Jagchosis posted:

Has anyone itt ever owned one of them Razer laptops mentioned
After several delays, I just got my new Razer Blade!

So far, I'm super impressed. The build quality is as good as, if not better than my Macbook Pro. Everything feels solid and looks nice.

The screen is beautiful. It's not full 4k, but I don't really have a huge need for that at this point. It gets very bright, has amazing viewing angles, and the colors look great. I thought the touchscreen was going to be gimmicky - and it is - but it's actually kind of useful if you're just sitting in bed at night and want to scroll through videos or idly browse or whatever. It does get fingerprints when you use it though, so that's annoying.

The touchpad feels good. The keyboard also feels nice, and reminds me a lot of the Macbook Pro keyboard (which is a good thing!). The key lighting thing is pretty silly and let's you do some crazy stuff. You can customize it though, so I colored certain function keys and the home row and what-not to make them easy to find at night, which is nice.

I've been playing Overwatch at full resolution and Ultra graphics with no issues. Supposedly they've improved the cooling a lot over last year's model. I haven't noticed it getting too hot, and the fans aren't overpowering. Other reviews say you can run Witcher III at 1080p on high, so it'll handle new games pretty well.

Speakers are fine. As you'd expect, the bass is very subdued and doesn't thump, but the mids and highs are very nice and clear. They sound fine for gaming.

The power adapter is thin and light, which is awesome. So far, the battery life seems good, although I haven't tried any extended runs yet.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. Its very portable, but also packs power when you need it. Everything about it feels quality, and I don't get the impression that they've cut any corners. I considered holding out for the new GPUs, but there's no guarantee that they'll be out any time soon, and it's hard to say what the performance will be like once they're throttled for laptop usage.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Seamonster posted:

No it doesn't produce "half the heat." The 1080 is 50% more performance than a 980 for the same heat, stock vs stock desktop cards.

I double dog dare you to Google the definition of TDP

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm looking to replace my C720 too, and have my eye on this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CVOLVPA

I was so happy with the C720 and got so much use out of it, why stray from the same known good brand/model/family.

If you get this, please give your impressions. I have a family member who's looking into Chromebooks and will most likely buy one next month. I told him to keep an eye on the Toshiba Chromebook 2 or the one you posted since they're in his price range.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Hadlock posted:

I double dog dare you to Google the definition of TDP

So the 1080 generates more heat than the 980?

P.S. if you were thinking of the 980 Ti, I encourage you to check out https://www.khanacademy.org/math/arithmetic/fractions

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Gonna order this for my brother for him to do his homework on/light browsing. It's discounted, does it look like a good deal?

http://ebay.eu/1U4LxzI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

The Iron Rose posted:

as cheapish gaming laptops go it'll suffice, though you'll likely only be able to play overwatch on medium settings at ~40-60 FPS. It's roughly comparable to the 750 ti, which does perform better, but in laptops is subject to fairly severe thermal throttling.
Yeah, I wish I could find something roughly equivalent with a 970m that was only a little more expensive, but the ones I looked at were all much more expensive or incredibly bulky (17").