Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/nbcwashington/status/733751489110364161
1/3 of the firings were on the rail side of things, which is probably warranted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Grey Fox posted:

https://twitter.com/nbcwashington/status/733751489110364161
1/3 of the firings were on the rail side of things, which is probably warranted.

Granted, it always seem that the core issue boiled down to cash not mismanagement. I mean it is expected heads are going to roll but I don't think it is the core of the dysfunction.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Granted, it always seem that the core issue boiled down to cash not mismanagement. I mean it is expected heads are going to roll but I don't think it is the core of the dysfunction.

Cash might be the core of the initial cause but I'm not sure the dysfunction really has a core anymore. Roughly $5 billion's been spent exclusively on unfucking Metro over the past four years and it's still spontaneously combusting. The GM's apparent commitment to a genuinely multifaceted assault on that dysfunction continues to prove encouraging, at least.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Cash might be the core of the initial cause but I'm not sure the dysfunction really has a core anymore. Roughly $5 billion's been spent exclusively on unfucking Metro over the past four years and it's still spontaneously combusting. The GM's apparent commitment to a genuinely multifaceted assault on that dysfunction continues to prove encouraging, at least.
Also included in that article is a note that the GM's direct reports are going from 21 to 9. I have no freaking idea how someone with 21 direct reporting staff could provide adequate oversight or get anything done themselves.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Politico's published a great overview of the recent history of transit in Denver, including all the political deals and business coalition-building that made FastTracks happen.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Trip report: buses that announce all stops, and accurate real-time trackers, make taking buses much less awful. God knows why these things continue to baffle Calgary Transit so much... It's not like A Coruña is some huge metropolis with a giant economy.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

PT6A posted:

Trip report: buses that announce all stops, and accurate real-time trackers, make taking buses much less awful. God knows why these things continue to baffle Calgary Transit so much... It's not like A Coruña is some huge metropolis with a giant economy.

The only real-time tracking my rinky-dink local bus system uses is you calling the transit department and them in turn calling the bus driver's work cell. It was the only way I could find out whether the bus skipped my stop or it was just really, really late the last time it snowed. (It skipped my stop and I was late to classes that day :( )

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Politico's published a great overview of the recent history of transit in Denver, including all the political deals and business coalition-building that made FastTracks happen.

This was a great read, thanks for this! I always get the warm and fuzzies when reading stuff like this about my city :)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Curvature of Earth posted:

The only real-time tracking my rinky-dink local bus system uses is you calling the transit department and them in turn calling the bus driver's work cell. It was the only way I could find out whether the bus skipped my stop or it was just really, really late the last time it snowed. (It skipped my stop and I was late to classes that day :( )

It's really sad. I was watching BBC and I saw a story about how they're installing tap cards on buses in Kigali, Rwanda, and yet we still can't get a working system in a first-world city of over 1,000,000 people after three expensive failed attempts. I mean, it boggles my loving mind how they managed to screw up this many times. We have a system on some buses that announces stops, too, but it doesn't announce every stop so it's literally worse than having nothing at all, because you can't rely on it. And our "real-time tracking system" has shown me buses that don't ever show up, not to mention the boards at train stations which seem to display the times of upcoming trains with no reference to reality at all. Were we just unlucky or did we hire incompetent people or what? How did this many things get hosed up when it seems like every other place can manage it?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Holy poo poo. How many bus lines are there where you live?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Badger of Basra posted:

Holy poo poo. How many bus lines are there where you live?

Two, and they combine into one during the early morning and evening.

The town next door is only slightly bigger population-wise but has nine bus lines, and is generally better in every way to my hometown's (e.g. free to use, automatic announcements for every stop, real-time tracking). To be fair, they're a classic college town, while we're a bargain-priced blue-collar suburb.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Two, and they combine into one during the early morning and evening.

The town next door is only slightly bigger population-wise but has nine bus lines, and is generally better in every way to my hometown's (e.g. free to use, automatic announcements for every stop, real-time tracking). To be fair, they're a classic college town, while we're a bargain-priced blue-collar suburb.
Albany and Corvallis?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Cicero posted:

Albany and Corvallis?

Yeah.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The ULink extension in Seattle is kicking rear end, with the latest ridership figures at record highs and trips proving to be faster than expected.

Meanwhile, transit blogger Anton Dubrau gives a serious critique to the Caisse's plan for light rail in Montréal, arguing that its capacity is way too small to be able to handle the amount of traffic it's going to get connecting to so many commuter rail lines. (I admit I had the same thought initially, the plan's trying to link up so many areas that it resembles the map for Boston's Green Line trolleys, which are so slow you can outrun them.)

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

PT6A posted:

It's really sad. I was watching BBC and I saw a story about how they're installing tap cards on buses in Kigali, Rwanda, and yet we still can't get a working system in a first-world city of over 1,000,000 people after three expensive failed attempts. I mean, it boggles my loving mind how they managed to screw up this many times. We have a system on some buses that announces stops, too, but it doesn't announce every stop so it's literally worse than having nothing at all, because you can't rely on it. And our "real-time tracking system" has shown me buses that don't ever show up, not to mention the boards at train stations which seem to display the times of upcoming trains with no reference to reality at all. Were we just unlucky or did we hire incompetent people or what? How did this many things get hosed up when it seems like every other place can manage it?

Typically any large scale IT project like this is farmed out to private companies, who get the contract written up as lax as possible while technically-not-bribing the other party into accepting it. So they can drag their asses on developing it for as long as possible so they get paid more, deliver a dogshit product, and then get to provide extortionately priced "support" for many more years. The local government feller who got their proposal accepted then gets a cushy position at the company when their term expires.

It's the F-35 business model.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HorseLord posted:

Typically any large scale IT project like this is farmed out to private companies, who get the contract written up as lax as possible while technically-not-bribing the other party into accepting it. So they can drag their asses on developing it for as long as possible so they get paid more, deliver a dogshit product, and then get to provide extortionately priced "support" for many more years. The local government feller who got their proposal accepted then gets a cushy position at the company when their term expires.

The F-35 has the advantage of the additional boondoggle level of "concurrence", where all parts are developed independently to "save" time and money. Oh, whoops, a bunch of stuff doesn't work when assembled together into a plane? How about that, I guess you'll need to pony up for us to work through these problems.

Unless you're the reincarnation of a British Rail manager I think you'd struggle to come up with an equivalent terribl- yet-effective moneyspinner idea for public transport.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
British Rail was the good one, though. You want Universal Jobmatch for a true British competitor to the F-35

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 23, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HorseLord posted:

That still doesn't explain why other cities, which probably follow this same process, manage to emerge with a functioning system at the end of it. Three attempts over the last decade and we still don't have it.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Mark Evans has created a tool that visualizes the data contained in the American Community Survey that pertains to someone's home and work locations and how they get there.

The point: MAKE ME GIFS

All of the different colors represent different counties where the commuter in question works:

Los Angeles, commutes of 20-100 miles:

NYC, commutes of 100-300 miles:

Washtenaw, MI, commutes of 0-100 miles:

Washington, DC, commutes of 20-100 miles:

Fairfax County, VA, commutes of 20-100 miles:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
for sacramento county, it's interesting that apparently, more people commute there from san joaquin county than from yolo county

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

PT6A posted:

That still doesn't explain why other cities, which probably follow this same process, manage to emerge with a functioning system at the end of it. Three attempts over the last decade and we still don't have it.

All things vary. Other places will have had the contracts signed by people slightly less drunk.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

for sacramento county, it's interesting that apparently, more people commute there from san joaquin county than from yolo county

More jobs at UC davis than stockton.

Edit: smart rear end comment aside, you need to reset the commute distance to less than 20mi as lots of davis is less than 20mi from downtown sac. Once you do that yolo has more.

nm fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 25, 2016

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

NYC, commutes of 100-300 miles:

You're telling me that people commute to NYC all the way from Buffalo!?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You're telling me that people commute to NYC all the way from Buffalo!?

Maybe New Yorkers know more about how plausible this is, but I'm sure those are people who just put down "I live in Buffalo" and "I work in NYC" and bam, they're in the dataset.

It isn't impossible if you commute back home for the weekend or are a jetsetter, maybe? :shrug:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Maybe New Yorkers know more about how plausible this is, but I'm sure those are people who just put down "I live in Buffalo" and "I work in NYC" and bam, they're in the dataset.

It isn't impossible if you commute back home for the weekend or are a jetsetter, maybe? :shrug:

Yeah, when I was living in Boston I remember reading an article talking about people who commute to jobs in NYC from Portland, Maine.

Basically they WFH 2-3 times a week, then fly in for a couple of days for in person meeting/management stuff while sleeping in an AirBnB or some poo poo.

It's pretty much only an option for high level management or salespeople though, since all they do is answer emails & go to meetings while setting their own schedules.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
There is a dude at my (low level, railroad) job who commutes from DC, basically only goes home on weekends. Another guy comes from Philadelphia daily, and several people commute from the Poconos. I think it's crazy, but, whatever.

e: My job is in NYC, since that wasn't clear.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

grah posted:

There is a dude at my (low level, railroad) job who commutes from DC, basically only goes home on weekends. Another guy comes from Philadelphia daily, and several people commute from the Poconos. I think it's crazy, but, whatever.

e: My job is in NYC, since that wasn't clear.

That falls under "commuting", rather than having two primary residences?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That falls under "commuting", rather than having two primary residences?

I always wonder about this. Do they stay in an extended-stay motel? Because even cheap motels are way expensive per diem compared to an apartment. That must be one hell of a high-paying job, or an impressively low cost-of-living that far from work to be able to afford it.

(My dad did this for a couple months when he first got his first well-paying, long-term job after retiring from the military, though with a cheap apartment rather than a motel. But we knew it was only temporary, and we soon moved to join him.)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
For a few years my dad commuted every week to his managerial job at Motorola, in Schaumberg, Illinois.

We live in the UK.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

:psyduck:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

It's amazing what companies will agree to fund if they need you badly enough.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i know a guy who lived in western virginia but his team, and their office, were in denver. they'd fly him out and pay for his hotel whenever they needed him on site. dude was a wizard of coding tho so yeah if you're important enough you can demand these kind of perks

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

There's plenty of people who work for consultancies where their office is at home but they fly out to clients during the week. I know a guy who used to work for one where he lived in Atlanta but his client was in LA, so he would fly out there every Monday morning and red eye it back to Atlanta Thursday night. He did that for 6 months before the project finished and he got a client closer to him.

In other chat, the NYTimes put out an article today on how absolutely broke public transit is. Something we all know, becoming grimmer every day. A lot of it seems to come down to lack of dedicated funding and systems basically having to beg for money year after year.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 26, 2016

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

I always wonder about this. Do they stay in an extended-stay motel? Because even cheap motels are way expensive per diem compared to an apartment. That must be one hell of a high-paying job, or an impressively low cost-of-living that far from work to be able to afford it.

(My dad did this for a couple months when he first got his first well-paying, long-term job after retiring from the military, though with a cheap apartment rather than a motel. But we knew it was only temporary, and we soon moved to join him.)

Most of them just work as many 16 hour tours during the week as they can and sleep at their job location on the 8 hour periods when they're not working.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Kansas City Streetcar is thriving! Hopefully it'll be the start of the public transit bug that similarly bit non-coastal cities like Denver and Salt Lake City.

quote:

During the 27 days of operation since the streetcar made its debut on May 6, total ridership has reached 173,751 as of Wednesday. Friday will be the four-week anniversary of the streetcar.

Meanwhile, out in the Swiss Alps, the Gotthard Base Tunnel has opened after 20 years of construction, shaving an hour off the Zürich-Milan route after it opens for passenger rail in December, and, most significantly, enormously increasing the area's freight rail capacity so it can take roughly a million trucks a year off roads.

Next door, France has created a kind of grading system for cars where you can get certain benefits if your car doesn't pollute. The new markings will be mandatory for older cars in Paris, as the city will begin to ban all cars created before 1997 during the weekday. [link en français] [English link] It seems inevitable that these little stickers will eventually become mandatory and then you can impose more disincentives and incentives for different categories.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Does that streetcar not have a dedicated lane?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neon Belly posted:

most systems in the united states dont, the cost of distinct lane separation is prohibitive for brand new systems but it's pretty easy to dedicate the lane later at least. or share the lane with buses

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Neon Belly posted:

Funny you mention it, a Twitter spat almost immediately broke out re: this story about how obviously dedicated lanes aren't necessary for a successful system :agesilaus: and then how they still are important!! :nyd: etc etc.

I personally think it's obvious they aren't needed for a working system. An optimal system on the other hand...

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Trip report from Denver: I'm car-free / car-light and live about 50 miles from the Airport. Last April our new airport train opened, so I took the scenic route when I had a flight and went an hour out of my way to ride it (its route is perfect for Denverites but I'm a bit to the side). Beautiful train, quick route, lots of riders even in its second week, and lots of TOD already springing up on its 4(?) new stops. Great stuff, enough said about that.

A few days ago I had another flight so I took my usual airport bus. When we left my stop the PA announces the next stop as the airport, and I realize the new train has absorbed the three tedious stops on this particular bus line and we were going to take a straight shot to the airport. This cuts the time by 1/3 or more (no small thing if you know how distant our airport is), and it beats car trips now when parking is factored! What an unexpected and pleasant surprise to start a dreary trip with!

I posted this to highlight that transit in the US isn't doomed, not even out here in the western sprawl, and that good things will happen once the city commits to funding transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Yeah, RTD actually discontinued a fair number of airport busses and rerouted others to Union Station for transfer to the A Line. It's definitely proven to be a more efficient system in a lot of ways that aren't readily apparent.

• Locked thread