Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

Just make more children and get leather from them

Yeah but you can't make more children if you don't have any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

DmitriX posted:

Yeah but you can't make more children if you don't have any.

Uhhhhhhhhh that's why I keep a steel chest full of Adults? You wierdo

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

Uhhhhhhhhh that's why I keep a steel chest full of Adults? You wierdo

Yeah well, not if you spent all of them on whips.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Evilreaver posted:

Just make more children and get leather from them

This is a human-leather whip. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

MrYenko posted:

This is a human-leather whip. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.

Now you've wandered into Rimworld crossover territory.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

DmitriX posted:

Yeah well, not if you spent all of them on whips.

The gently caress kinda ratios are you using. You need probably a 50/50 ratio for leather and children.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

widespread posted:

The gently caress kinda ratios are you using. You need probably a 50/50 ratio for leather and children.

My leather-producing slave-chlidren tend to empty those chests really quickly. I do appreciate them being a combined assembly machine and an inserter tho.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

DmitriX posted:

My leather-producing slave-chlidren tend to empty those chests really quickly. I do appreciate them being a combined assembly machine and an inserter tho.

Oh okay. Make it 75/25 to Leather.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
lol if you're not belting children

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Evilreaver posted:

:drat:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
FFF is out: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-141

quote:

I guess that not so many people really expected that the target day of the 1st of June might be the actual release day. The day was mainly a psychological trick for us to finish all the little fixes and not to start any new projects, so we might be only week or two late instead of months. We started the first multiplayer play-tests last week, but they didn't last long. After the first hour of connection issue fixes, the game desynced every 15 seconds.
TL;DR If the further playtesting goes well, the release could happen next week, but you never know.

It goes into detail about the mod portal. They're going with a fairly integrated design which will surely annoy some people and of course it's not ready yet but will be part of 0.13.

The new loco graphic is nifty though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
My biggest problem with the old train locomotive graphic was that I couldn't easily tell which way it was facing when I was first starting out. Combined with the rather bizarre ability of the game to let you attach train locomotives to cargo wagons backward it left me very confused as to why I couldn't get a train to work despite having locomotives on each end.

I can't tell if the new locomotive graphic is any better, since they only showed a blown up version.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It looks like the new train graphic has an arrow painted on top pointing at the front of the train.

Too bad about the release date though...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The train is just the right touch of Mad Max. Although I'll miss the old design too.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Well, since 0.13 ain't happenin for a while i restarted my server in a new game. It already has a bit of infra setup from the get-go to avoid that whole mining phase.
The details can be found right in the nearby forum
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777542

No bobmods this time round so it's mostly vanilla with helpers.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

ShadowHawk posted:

My biggest problem with the old train locomotive graphic was that I couldn't easily tell which way it was facing when I was first starting out. Combined with the rather bizarre ability of the game to let you attach train locomotives to cargo wagons backward it left me very confused as to why I couldn't get a train to work despite having locomotives on each end.

I can't tell if the new locomotive graphic is any better, since they only showed a blown up version.

There is no wrong way for a locomotive. They can push and pull.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gibbo posted:

There is no wrong way for a locomotive. They can push and pull.

They can only go in one direction, though, and if that direction isn't a valid path the train won't run auto.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Tenebrais posted:

They can only go in one direction, though, and if that direction isn't a valid path the train won't run auto.

Really useful engines do as they're told.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Tenebrais posted:

That's the use'rs fault, not the train's

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gibbo posted:

That's the use'rs fault, not the train's

Yes, that's what he was talking about. He was confused as to which way the train was pointing.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
On both the current loco and the .13 loco there's an arrow on the roof to tell you which direction it's facing.

For the current loco:

Dootman fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 4, 2016

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Evilreaver posted:

:vince:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ShadowHawk posted:

Pointy end forward

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Dootman posted:

On both the current loco and the .13 loco there's an arrow on the roof to tell you which direction it's facing.

For the current loco:

:aaaaa:
How did I never notice this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Royal W posted:

:aaaaa:
How did I never notice this?

I, for one, never noticed it because “pointy end first” is obvious enough.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So my most recent factory build I've been running 8 freight cars and 2 locomotives and I'm liking it. Are there any mathlords who have proven that I'm wrong and horribly inefficient?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
What all hooked up to each other? Without knowing how you designed the tracks or how the train is combined together I can't really comment.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Where does the train stop if you put the engines in the back as pushers. Does the leading edge of the train cargo at the front line up with the stop?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Yes, that's what he was talking about. He was confused as to which way the train was pointing.

I was politely calling him an idiot.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Judging from the number of google results, FAQ entries, and wiki pages, I'm certainly not the only person to have difficulty setting up the train even with locomotives on both ends. I can't be the only person to have gotten stuck playing the interface instead of the game on the train scenario.

Gibbo posted:

I was politely calling him an idiot.
Meanwhile the grownups here can have an informed discussion about how art design can both look good and help make obvious gameplay elements clear rather than hiding them.

Would you install a pusher trains mod if it existed?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ShadowHawk posted:

Judging from the number of google results, FAQ entries, and wiki pages, I'm certainly not the only person to have difficulty setting up the train even with locomotives on both ends. I can't be the only person to have gotten stuck playing the interface instead of the game on the train scenario.

Meanwhile the grownups here can have an informed discussion about how art design can both look good and help make obvious gameplay elements clear rather than hiding them.

I suddently understand the Wine GUI

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ShadowHawk posted:

Trains already are equally happy pushing or pulling.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I would totally install a mod that makes train engines run backwards at the same speed as forwards, because it makes no sense to assume that this universe has somehow lost the ability to design a diesel-electric transmission.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I think like everything, trains require some experimentation at first. The back/forwards didn't make sense to me either at first until I hopped in a train and noticed that even without a car, one direction seemed a lot slower to accelerate than another. It didn't click until I started doing stations.

That said, that was only my first map with them, I haven't really used trains since then, since back then chain signals didn't exist and now I'm waiting on stock easy-placement to make curved rails not suck to lay down.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

DelphiAegis posted:

I think like everything, trains require some experimentation at first. The back/forwards didn't make sense to me either at first until I hopped in a train and noticed that even without a car, one direction seemed a lot slower to accelerate than another. It didn't click until I started doing stations.

That said, that was only my first map with them, I haven't really used trains since then, since back then chain signals didn't exist and now I'm waiting on stock easy-placement to make curved rails not suck to lay down.

Version 0.13 will solve that problem by deleting curved rails in the new (awesome) track laying system.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

DmitriX posted:

Well, since 0.13 ain't happenin for a while i restarted my server in a new game. It already has a bit of infra setup from the get-go to avoid that whole mining phase.
The details can be found right in the nearby forum
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777542

No bobmods this time round so it's mostly vanilla with helpers.

Neat!

"Version mismatch, you are running 12.33 server is running 12.35"

Oh.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

drunkill posted:

Neat!

"Version mismatch, you are running 12.33 server is running 12.35"

Oh.

Just opt in into experimental updates if you are on steam?
I mean, i do state the version in the server description, specifically to let people know about stuff like that.
I usually always run experimental, if at all possible.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Stereotype posted:

I suddently understand the Wine GUI

:thurman:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Sage Grimm posted:

What all hooked up to each other? Without knowing how you designed the tracks or how the train is combined together I can't really comment.

Two locomotives facing the same way followed by 8 wagons. One way track and often two lanes each direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can only imagine the size of a resource patch that would warrant eight wagons.