Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Also a surprising amount of Reinhardts still don't seem to realise the orb goes through their shield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Help Im Alive posted:

Also a surprising amount of Reinhardts still don't seem to realise the orb goes through their shield

It's a lose/lose for Reinhardt. Either he shuffles away in time while the congaline behind him stay still and get hit by the orb AND everything else, or he stands there and takes it like a champ.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Xbox, load characters!
https://i.imgur.com/JhK5vkR.gifv
Joined a finished game and maps were rotating just as I got in.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Bluhman posted:

Clearly Symmetra players are doing something right, because her winrate on that site is being recorded as way higher than any other hero (save torbjorn). Granted popularity and win-rate are somewhat inverse correlated here so who knows.

I think part of it is that Symmetra and Torbjorn both see most of their play on defense, which tends to be easier in my experience.

But people also don't know how to deal with turrets. I've had games where putting a Torbjorn turret on the elevator on Hollywood A stops the entire team from ever taking the point. The Symmetra + Torbjorn combo is awesome too. People make it through the laser minefield and have to deal with a team that has armor + shield buffed health with yet another turret plinking at them from across the stage.

And yeah, spamming big orbs through choke points is clutch. It does some random damage, but also scares people from walking through the doorway, especially if it's one of the teams whose only strategy is to put up a Reinhardt shield and walk slowly forward.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Chomposaur posted:

I think part of it is that Symmetra and Torbjorn both see most of their play on defense, which tends to be easier in my experience.

But people also don't know how to deal with turrets. I've had games where putting a Torbjorn turret on the elevator on Hollywood A stops the entire team from ever taking the point. The Symmetra + Torbjorn combo is awesome too. People make it through the laser minefield and have to deal with a team that has armor + shield buffed health with yet another turret plinking at them from across the stage.

And yeah, spamming big orbs through choke points is clutch. It does some random damage, but also scares people from walking through the doorway, especially if it's one of the teams whose only strategy is to put up a Reinhardt shield and walk slowly forward.

I've played torbjorn a lot and the amount of times someone will just try to tank and destroy my turret is amazing. Of course then I pop my ultimate and they just die.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Going back a few pages but about hero specific options, soldier needs one that lets him reload to take him out of sprint.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

symmetra and torb are really freaking high because when they lose ground they change heros and that site only knows the outcomes at the end of games

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Are Symmetra's orbs fully charged when the two circles overlap or do they need to actually leave the gun on their own for full power?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Got knocked into the well as Lucio. Wall ran out of that fucker. I'm invincible.

Some guy playing Road Hog was outnumbered 3 to 1 so he jumped off a cliff and hooked me to him. I didn't survive that but it was funny.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Got knocked into the well as Lucio. Wall ran out of that fucker. I'm invincible.

Some guy playing Road Hog was outnumbered 3 to 1 so he jumped off a cliff and hooked me to him. I didn't survive that but it was funny.

That's the best feeling in the world. Popping back out and like "WASSUP FAM LETS GET THEM HEALS GOIN"

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
The Solo Queue team roster for life: Reaper, Tracer, Hanzo, Widowmaker, 2x Genji

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 4, 2016

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Okay, before I was all Team Solo Queue but playing with goons is Too Fun. Get on discord.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I really hate Reaper's design, and I always feel embarrassed when I play him because I don't currently have a skin that looks less like a bad parody of a mallgoth, but I really have to commend the animation team on his work. His transition from death blossom back into shotgun mode feels so right, and I imagine not many people have noticed the subtle little details like how he moves during the transition because they're either dead or he's dead.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ddraig posted:

I really hate Reaper's design, and I always feel embarrassed when I play him because I don't currently have a skin that looks less like a bad parody of a mallgoth, but I really have to commend the animation team on his work. His transition from death blossom back into shotgun mode feels so right, and I imagine not many people have noticed the subtle little details like how he moves during the transition because they're either dead or he's dead.

I have to imagine that anyone embarrassed to play reaper is entirely too self-serious and absorbed with looking mature and reasonable.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Lady Naga posted:

I have to imagine that anyone embarrassed to play reaper is entirely too self-serious and absorbed with looking mature and reasonable.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Just got on Discord for first time and discovered I'm way too good for pubbies but still not good enough to actually help goons :whitewater:

Forgive me goonkind for leeching off you for that sweet XP bonus/being saved from solo queue, I am not worthy walks into Bastion and dies AGAIN :ughh:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Reaper is superfun on some maps

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Lady Naga posted:

While it's probably true that I am not quite embracing the edgelord parody as much as I should it is pretty obvious they are pandering to the teenage fanbase with him as ReaperNames demonstrates.

Hopefully my battletag being to do with Krishna will not lump me in with the XxBongKillerxX crowd.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ddraig posted:

While it's probably true that I am not quite embracing the edgelord parody as much as I should it is pretty obvious they are pandering to the teenage fanbase with him as ReaperNames demonstrates.

Hopefully my battletag being to do with Krishna will not lump me in with the XxBongKillerxX crowd.

I think it's more that Overwatch is going for a very specific developer-driven design aesthetic that was popular in the early 2000s and Reaper is totally the kind of thing that'd show up in those games. Tell me you can't see him yelling about getting frags alongside the eyeball and the fat guy from Quake 3.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I really want that Mariachi skin because it looks cool. Reaper is also super fun to play, too, especially on KOTH where he kind of reigns supreme.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

Zzulu posted:

The biggest issue I have with Symmetra is that once I have a teleporter up, i no longer get to play with ultimates until my teleporter is destroyed again... also that her turrets are so huge and fat and easy to shoot

The turret thing I don't mind so much, but the ultimate not charging thing is what gets me the most. If my easy to kill turrets and my own easy to kill self are doing enough damage to warrant generating new teleporters all the time, I should be able to do so!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Ddraig posted:

I really want that Mariachi skin because it looks cool. Reaper is also super fun to play, too, especially on KOTH where he kind of reigns supreme.

I feel like Reaper's ult might be the closest thing this game has to "press Q to win." Despite how that sounds, I've never really had any complaints about eating it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Just got on Discord for first time and discovered I'm way too good for pubbies but still not good enough to actually help goons :whitewater:

Forgive me goonkind for leeching off you for that sweet XP bonus/being saved from solo queue, I am not worthy walks into Bastion and dies AGAIN :ughh:

Most of the top gamers agree that the best way to win and have fun is to play with goons and particularly Jastiger. You see him online in discord or battle net (Jastiger#1506) be sure to snatch him up for a good time- double if he's been drinking.

I'm just telling you what the big publications and academics are saying.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CapMoron posted:

The turret thing I don't mind so much, but the ultimate not charging thing is what gets me the most. If my easy to kill turrets and my own easy to kill self are doing enough damage to warrant generating new teleporters all the time, I should be able to do so!

She would probably be basically unstoppable on maps like Hanamura/Anubis if it worked like that

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Gimnbo posted:

I feel like Reaper's ult might be the closest thing this game has to "press Q to win." Despite how that sounds, I've never really had any complaints about eating it.

Smart teams can counter it, it's not nearly as powerful as it first seems. It does 600 damage over 3 seconds, meaning it has 200 DPS, and it doesn't bypass shields or whatever, so a smart team can just dance around Reinhardt who will eat it all up, or just focus him down the second they see him. This is why it's good to take out tanks before you use it, or drop down from up high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMMJ3_JUJlE

This song makes me feel better about him.

e: At about 30 seconds in you can see what I mean about the animation team doing a swell job with him. That's a cool, well designed transition.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 4, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ddraig posted:

It still needs to play Guadalajara on ult though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Symmetra should charge a second ult once her teleport's up, with ult vanishing if it's destroyed. It charges up the teleport slightly for a few seconds meaning anyone going through it gets a 10% damage boost and 50 shields that deplete once the ult finishes or they're destroyed.

Would make it good for pushes where the team gets wiped but the enemy don't focus on finding the teleporter as anyone coming through it will be at a slight advantage than normal.

Lady Naga posted:

It still needs to play Guadalajara on ult though.

Or at least give him a Spanish VO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_RUUIwt5oQ

I'd be super happy with this.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 4, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Symmetra should charge a second ult once her teleport's up, with ult vanishing if it's destroyed. It charges up the teleport slightly for a few seconds meaning anyone going through it gets a 10% damage boost and 50 shields that deplete once the ult finishes or they're destroyed.

Would make it good for pushes where the team gets wiped but the enemy don't focus on finding the teleporter as anyone coming through it will be at a slight advantage than normal.

I love this. Have a feeling it might make her a bit OP but why the gently caress not?

Jastiger posted:

Most of the top gamers agree that the best way to win and have fun is to play with goons and particularly Jastiger. You see him online in discord or battle net (Jastiger#1506) be sure to snatch him up for a good time- double if he's been drinking.

I'm just telling you what the big publications and academics are saying.

Drunk Goon Overwatch is absolutely peer reviewed as the best way to play Overwatch. :cheers:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Charging her ultimate again should just give her more charges and 50% if the teleport is destroyed. Instead of 0

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I love this. Have a feeling it might make her a bit OP but why the gently caress not?

Drunk Goon Overwatch is absolutely peer reviewed as the best way to play Overwatch. :cheers:

Got myself a bottle of good gin, some vermouth and absolutely no plans for the night. See you guys in a couple hours. :v:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Be sure to have a lengthy conversation about the Iowa State Cyclones.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I don't know what "edgelord" means but the fact that it is a word that's often used when talking about reaper is definitely the most annoying thing about reaper.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

treat posted:

I don't know what "edgelord" means but the fact that it is a word that's often used when talking about reaper is definitely the most annoying thing about reaper.

I mean; google's right there...

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Why would I even want to know? That's sort of my point.

Jastiger posted:

Charging her ultimate again should just give her more charges and 50% if the teleport is destroyed. Instead of 0

A team shouldn't have a free 6 player res every few minutes just because they have a symetra. Symetra should have to work for it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

treat posted:

Why would I even want to know? That's sort of my point.

Because being deliberately ignorant is a lovely trait to have?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wish the best for all my edgelords and nonedgelords alike

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
You're right, sorry. I'll come back once I've learned all the hip memes of the day so I can roll with the big dogs.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Sorry again, ~*::Big Dogs::*~

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

treat posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yes let's take the same player base that can't figure out "stand behind the rectangle" and "flankers don't work without a front line" and give them an incredibly complex game mode with lots of back and forth and strategy.

They could always allow custom servers so you always play on the maps and gamemodes you want with people you want to play the game with. One of the reasons I played TF2 for so long was I had 3 servers I played on, and one had all voice chat enabled and was super chill and played cool maps and good custom maps and made the game great before hats and every type of weapon ever happened to the game.