Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

wicka posted:

this opinion is honestly worse than racism

:siren: Tilke apologist spotted :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm not sure Cota is going to be paying anyone any sanctioning fees soon enough, so WEC is shopping the only other track that paid the FIA's track grade extortion fee.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the IMS road course is one of the worst race tracks in the entire world. it is irredeemably boring.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Please move it so I can go thank you WEC

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

oops wrong thread.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wicka posted:

this opinion is honestly worse than racism

Hermann Tilke literally has a 3D drafting program full of Famous Corners that he just reaches into like a grab bag and sticks in his Tilkedromes like a 12 year old with the Forza track editor.

He is a bad track designer and good road tracks use the landscape they are built on for their defining features.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Hermann Tilke literally has a 3D drafting program full of Famous Corners that he just reaches into like a grab bag and sticks in his Tilkedromes like a 12 year old with the Forza track editor.

He is a bad track designer and good road tracks use the landscape they are built on for their defining features.

yeah, and it's still better than the IMS road course, which is an atrocious race track

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Helicon One posted:

minus infinity?

Seriously though CotA is one of those dumb 'lets join a load of corners from other tracks end to end' magazine articles made flesh and is Exhibit B* in the case for why Hermann Tilke should have his hands smashed with a hammer.

*Exhibit A is Fuji

Herman Tilke didn't even design CotA. Kevin Schwartz and Tavo Hellmund designed CotA and they just hired Tilke's firm to manage construction of the track. :spergin:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

harperdc posted:

Say what you will about IMS, but they at least run events better than COTA does. They know how to do sportscars, and I think if they moved the September double-header up to Indy, it would probably draw better and better. The actual circuit might be better at COTA, but they're proving themselves unable to sell an event. MotoGP ran the 2.6 mile version of the circuit, so it would be a short and fast track compared to a lot of the ones run on the WEC.

This is what the article talked about. IMS during the 500 was packed to the rafters and felt really lively, whereas COTA is built in the middle of a desert and has the crowd personality to match. It's not about if the actual track is good for HIGH PERFORMANCE RACING TECHNOLOGY but good for being a fun place to catch a race. WEC races at Indy will be godawful but they'll take a half full godawful over an empty good race.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I'd rather see WEC go to like Road Atlanta or VIR or a track that's actually legitimately good. The Indy road course is still a step up from COTA though so whatever.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cubey posted:

I'd rather see WEC go to like Road Atlanta or VIR or a track that's actually legitimately good. The Indy road course is still a step up from COTA though so whatever.

They'd never consider it again but the time they did the 12 Hours of Sebring was pretty dope.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cubey posted:

We've been through this, but besides Le Mans they won't go to a track that isn't F1/MotoGP grade. I know that the grading isn't purely for safety but instead is also a deposit to their favorite charity (the FIA), but in most cases the grading is a good basic guide to follow. I'm not mad at it. COTA is a shitshow organizer with an okay track in a tough place to host races, while IMS is a worse roval at the American cathedral of speed with a tradition of racing events drawing incredibly well backed by people with money. It's easy math.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cubey posted:

This is a good opinion. I'd like to recommend Road America in addition.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The BTCC is back on this weekend, and Turk is on pole – guess they've managed to sort out a lot of the kinks in that Subaru. (plus they've now been allowed to move away form the stock inlet manifold, having proved it's unsuited to the task). Plus Daniel Lloyd who got his chance to race a Honda following Neate's disappearing act, has stuck it on the front row.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
So it turns out you do need a rear wing on a DP to turn

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
I like Dalziel suggesting the wing came off after minor contact with a GTD car and not because it was driven under a tyre barrier.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Belle Isle is always fun with IMSA.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Belle Isle is always fun with IMSA.

I absolutely love Belle Isle, which seems to be an unpopular opinion for some reason

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
This new streaming setup IMSA has is loving awful.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
What is the point of a stream if it turns off when the race is on? "Watch the race on FS1" what if I don't have FS1? What then?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If you're too poor to afford FS1 you're probably too poor to afford Porsches or WeatherTech mats.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Peanut President posted:

What is the point of a stream if it turns off when the race is on? "Watch the race on FS1" what if I don't have FS1? What then?

IMSA blacked out the app stream for non-US people after Daytona as far as I could tell. So they went from having one of the best streaming setups to the worst.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

there is a stream 2 watch it somewhere on the internet, hint hint see what i did there

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Peanut President posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I have FS1 but comcast has suddenly decided I shouldn't.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

njsykora posted:

IMSA blacked out the app stream for non-US people after Daytona as far as I could tell. So they went from having one of the best streaming setups to the worst.

That's real dumb

HFX posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I have FS1 but comcast has suddenly decided I shouldn't.

Actually being high class poor-shah owner/dealer I am too good for cable tv

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

:stare:

https://twitter.com/NHRA/status/739178440247545856?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

is the engine in his lap? ffs

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
On a funny car that's usually where it is.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Pikes Peak is in 3 weeks.

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/06/the-pikes-peak-international-hillclimb-is-the-fastest-ev-race-in-the-world/

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

is the engine in his lap? ffs

At least the rear diff isn't in his crotch

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Subaru really got this figured out now. If only they could stop the cars becoming inferno's now.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

A couple of years ago I paid the $7 or $10 or whatever it was to watch the entire 24 hours of le mans on their Ipad app. Is that still the best way to watch the race?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Basticle posted:

A couple of years ago I paid the $7 or $10 or whatever it was to watch the entire 24 hours of le mans on their Ipad app. Is that still the best way to watch the race?

Yep.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Now they have the WEC stream ticket thing where you can do it via computer too, which is my preferred way to do it, one monitor with the global stream, one monitor with timing and scoring and IRC and one monitor I use to follow one of the 12 or so in-car feeds, and when I'm lazy I chromecast the global feed to my living room tv and sit on the couch.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/stadium-super-truck-driver-lost-his-jaw-in-massive-cras-1781101276

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A jaw dropping wreck

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
:stare:

Jesus Christ! I wonder who built that truck.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

How in the hell do you lose your jaw but not your head if you're wearing your helmet right? I guess if they don't make them wear full helmets maybe? Bet that poo poo will change now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They wear full face helmets, they don't have windshields. Sounds like he caught the edge of a barrier + a fence pole with the roof of the truck when it rolled over. As we learned when the fence pole sheared the solid steel roll hoop of Dan Wheldon's car off, physics with that stuff can be bad. Ugh. Rolling headfirst into concrete and fence poles is horrifying.

• Locked thread