Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ika posted:

If he wouldn't yell all the time it might be slightly better. But slightly better is still terrible...

The thing is: the new programme just isn't as good as the old one, even if we were to use the old hosts:

e.g. SIARPC

It's not reasonably priced.
The track makes it impossible to compare driving skills
Two guests who don't know each other = zero chemistry/interaction
'who has the best car' = 'who has the most money'

But the shear terribleness of Evans is overshadowing the other problems: you don't bother complaining that your steak is underdone, the chips are burnt and the vegetables are mouldy if the waiter drops trou and takes a dump in the middle of your table. That's what is going to post bad review on Tripadvisor about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

spog posted:

The thing is: the new programme just isn't as good as the old one, even if we were to use the old hosts:

e.g. SIARPC

It's not reasonably priced.
The track makes it impossible to compare driving skills
Two guests who don't know each other = zero chemistry/interaction
'who has the best car' = 'who has the most money'

But the shear terribleness of Evans is overshadowing the other problems: you don't bother complaining that your steak is underdone, the chips are burnt and the vegetables are mouldy if the waiter drops trou and takes a dump in the middle of your table. That's what is going to post bad review on Tripadvisor about.

Who has the best car is also not a good contest between a person who just doesn't enjoy cars at all and a gear head.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
IIRC they were supposed to get Brad Pitt and had to scramble to replace him when he went LOL NO at the last minute. I think they just spazzed and decided to throw 2 lesser stars on to replace 1 bigger star without thinking any of it through.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That guest spot was terrible: you don't engage people by making them talk about someone else they don't know. It's not interesting to anyone involved.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
Seems like I'm in the minority here suggesting I find Reid as annoying as Evans. Harris, LeBlanc and Sabine, though... That may be an interesting show.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Normal Person posted:

Seems like I'm in the minority here suggesting I find Reid as annoying as Evans. Harris, LeBlanc and Sabine, though... That may be an interesting show.

Seconded. I like him and think he has potential but he needs more time in the b-league. Hes like the johnny smith of Nu-New Top Gear. I do not get the goon love for him.

Ill be annoyed if he displaces eddie jordan. I really enjoyed his f1 presenting style

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 4, 2016

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The best parts of EJ's F1 presenting career were:

Jake gently winding him up about his F1 team's lack of success in its later years and Eddie getting visibly pissed off about it, and;
EJ literally dragging the Ferrari team boss out of the middle of an interview he was doing for Italian TV in Ferrari's own hospitality area to talk to the BBC.

He can be entertaining, or an utter prat who gets fixated on having the wrong opinion like a pub bore. We'll find out soon!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Seconded. I like him and think he has potential but he needs more time in the b-league. Hes like the johnny smith of Nu-New Top Gear. I do not get the goon love for him.

I'd give him some more time to see if he can pull it off. But yeah, I agree.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Eddie is good when he's talking about something he's passionate about.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C2phzt2GrA&t=9s

I love his wild speculation. He did call the lewis hamilton move before most, but pulled out this gem just in time for dieselgate.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hammond's daughter is learning to drive. He posted a picture of her driving Oliver.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I hate to be creepy, but blonde girls who run marathons and also smoke are pretty much my type :drat:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cojawfee posted:

Hammond's daughter is learning to drive. He posted a picture of her driving Oliver.

https://twitter.com/RichardHammond/status/739405193410813952

https://twitter.com/RichardHammond/status/739455746316853248

Notable that none of them has posted a single thing related to New TG

spog fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 5, 2016

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

spog posted:

Notable that none of them has posted a single thing related to New TG

Why would they want to talk about their competition? Mentioning your competition in marketing is a sign of weakness or fear.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why tweet it when you can stick it in the script of your new show?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
This is all I saw

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It'd be sorta cute if Clarkson and Hammond got their daughters onto their new show and had a race or some other competition for fun (or raced against their dads). May gets a surrogate substitute for his nonexistent child.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

May reveals the robot companion he's been building in the garage.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Chris Evans was on life support in the beginning of the episode, but I enjoyed seeing Jenson Button destroying a McLaren.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

sincx posted:

Dr. May's Virtual Daughter

So he bought it from Krieger?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mustache Ride posted:

Chris Evans was on life support in the beginning of the episode, but I enjoyed seeing Jenson Button destroying a McLaren.

It was actually a decent episode and agree, Button was great...

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Oh so they've adopted defiance of everyone's problems with Chris as their opening message.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I think the reason it was a decent episode was because the presence of Chris Evans was kept to a minimum. I like that Matt is doing all the voiceovers for the segments he's in too, and not Chris.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Xelkelvos posted:

It'd be sorta cute if Clarkson and Hammond got their daughters onto their new show and had a race or some other competition for fun (or raced against their dads). May gets a surrogate substitute for his nonexistent child.

Robot car vs teenage girls. Also new TG reminds me of TG Australia.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

wargames posted:

Robot car vs teenage girls. Also new TG reminds me of TG Australia.

Because you want to stuff evans into a prison van?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I just watched last weeks episode finally after reading the comments here. I was excepting something far far worse than what it was. All things considered for the first episode with new presenters I thought it was pretty decent. Chris Evan's voice is grating but I've heard far far worse.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Ika posted:

Because you want to stuff evans into a prison van?

More everything is forced, the gimmicks are boring, and no one has any idea what funny is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm almost done but this was a lot better. I really liked when Matt end full dad mode on Eddie for being a moron with the car.

edit: Oh man. At the end

"I'm not a bloody racing driver"
"Neither am I"
"But you were!"

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 6, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just make the show Eddie Jordan and Matt Leblanc. I'd watch the poo poo out of that.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I wonder if they're bringing different people in and out to see which combination works best (I'll help: it's one where Chris Evans mops the floors). The show feels more experimental than truly bad right now.

Knowing broadcast television though, it probably means they want to turn it into a chat show with a mild automotive flavor :negative:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So better show this week it sounds like? Less people openly calling for the death of a tv man anyway.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Fewer people watching

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

So better show this week it sounds like? Less people openly calling for the death of a tv man anyway.

My primary problem with tonight's episode was that it was all high end cars/SUVs that I really don't care about, but that was a problem with the old series as well. The pacing is still too frantic and Chris Evans is still an annoying twat trying to emulate Clarkson but is unable to describe a car beyond the words "Amazing" "Awesome" or "Cool", you can only beat a dead horse for so long though. Part of the issue as well is they've basically threw a bunch of people into old top gear scenarios and expected them to have instant chemistry.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The show was better but it was clearly re-worked to avoid Evans' presence where they could. They even had to make it clear more non-Evans people are going to be there to host next week.

Leblanc seems like a great choice though after E2. Really inoffensive and has lots of room to grow. Poor fucker at BBC that is tasked with renegotiation of his season 2 contract right now, he has all the leverage in the world. International TG broadcast licencors must be screaming at the BBC to keep him on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's no way they can get rid of Matt LeBlanc. He can drive cars fast, he knows about cars, he's inoffensive, he has international appeal. I could see him being the main host when they finally realize that Chris Evans is cabbage.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Chris Evans is cabbage.
Either autocorrect strikes again, or I learned a new insult today. Either way, well done.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The McLaren segment gave me positive vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This whole star in a rallycross car completely misses the point of what the reasonably priced car was.